PDA

View Full Version : el weekly cancelled

Pages : [1] 2 3

max power
23/05/2004, 5:38 PM
its true, its brown bread until the clubs get heir act together, one club actually told tv3 ( as bad as they are ) to get their one ladder, thats just not on......

it was a member of staff in tv3 who confirmed the above to me, so this is not gossip

adamcarr
23/05/2004, 5:44 PM
FFS! Even as bad the coverage of EL was. Now we have nothing! :rolleyes:

patsh
23/05/2004, 6:44 PM
Ya, Trevor Welch confirmed today on the Big Red Bench on RedFM that it won't be on this Monday but there will be some action during Sports Tonight.
Which will have to be City and Longford, as no cameras at Richmond park and no other games...
To be honest, I think TV3 don't give a toss anyway.

eoinh
23/05/2004, 7:15 PM
i dont see why even if they can only cover just one match they just dont do that that. 25 mins highlights followed by interviews, match reactions, previews, talk with pannelists and showing of tables ,future fixtures etc.

whats wrong with that? at least until they solve this

crap.

they would still get their audience

fbtn
23/05/2004, 7:59 PM
Its a balls.

Unbelievable to think that our national league isn't going to be on telly, once again.

I think TV3 made a great job of it considering the budget they had for it, which was basically nothing.

RTE Ba***rds gave no coverage for years apart from the cup semis, final and one or two Shels and Pats games and they had the money to do it.

pineapple stu
23/05/2004, 8:11 PM
Is there any way TG4 can/will want to step into the breach here? TV3 never really cared, in my opinion, and were probably happy to get a way out. TG4 seem to have some interest in promoting local sport. And if TV3 have any exclusivity rights to the eL, surely they have to forfeit them now?

A face
23/05/2004, 8:18 PM
Lads, all anger should not be vented at TV3. Safety standards in the TV gantries is bog standard stuff, it is the least they could ask for. It is not over the top at all in my opinion. eL clubs should of had it sorted ages ago. The coverage is invaluable, the clubs in question need to sort it out. Showing the programme with just 1-2 games footage is just not on, it is too much to ask of them to get them to fill in the time for another 20+ mins after they show the goals.

The buck stops with the clubs.

brendy_éire
23/05/2004, 8:45 PM
The buck stops with the clubs.

Exactly what clubs are they?

A face
23/05/2004, 8:58 PM
Exactly what clubs are they?

Well i didn't want to point the finger but the grounds that are in the middle of the debate are Tolka and Richmond. So is it Shels and Pats that are holding it up for everyone else .... i dunno ... we'll have to ask them.

TommyT
23/05/2004, 9:11 PM
Is there any way TG4 can/will want to step into the breach here? TV3 never really cared, in my opinion, and were probably happy to get a way out. TG4 seem to have some interest in promoting local sport. And if TV3 have any exclusivity rights to the eL, surely they have to forfeit them now?

Jesus christ what a stupid post, how long are you following the league ?

I'm not sure about the circumstances, I'm very sceptical of TV3's current intentions but if they have got a problem with Tolka and Richmond then thats 70 out of 180 games that they can't show.

A face
23/05/2004, 9:26 PM
Jesus christ what a stupid post, how long are you following the league ?

I have to agree ... there were days alot dark than these, them putting it on hold for a bit till things are sorted is fine by me, just as long as they come back. In all fairness .... there is no harm in Tolka/Richmond providing good facilities. It is a good thing.

I'm not sure about the circumstances, I'm very sceptical of TV3's current intentions but if they have got a problem with Tolka and Richmond then thats 70 out of 180 games that they can't show.

That is a high ratio of games there, very hard to put a programme together without them, you can fill/pad out the programme for a while but not every week.

The solution ... fix the gantries ..... what is involved. They cant be that bad if they are talking about putting in a stairs, thats all i have heard anyway.

Stevo Da Gull
23/05/2004, 9:36 PM
This is a serious farce, I don't blame TV3, but I dont really watch Sports Tonight so can some1 tell what nights there will be EL matches on it- and will there be proper highlights or just goals from the top 2 games?
Ridicoulos, what kind of League would this look like to a foreign person on holliday in Ireland......`` Yeah thats right we do have a decent league but we are just too unprofessionall to have it on TV....at ALL!!``
Personally I feel that RTE have to shoulder a lot of the blame for our anger :mad: as they should really be running a weekly show.

adamcarr
23/05/2004, 9:40 PM
More than likely Monday! at the same time as EL weekly!

Slash/ED
23/05/2004, 10:02 PM
Why is this gantry issue suddenly an issue now?

TV3 are looking for a way out, it's that simple. Shels for one tape their own matches digitally and these are reshown in the bar later on. TV3 have on occasion used this footage in the past, why can't they do that now?

I've said it before, but the FAI have a powerful bargaining tool in the rights to show Irish international matches. If they had backbone, with the rights for those matches up for discussion again very soon, they would tell sky that if they want to keep showing Irish home matches they have to give the EL a highlights package and the odd live game, even if only on one of their Irish only channels they're launching. I can't see it putting Sky off showing Irish matches too much, considering the garbage they have on during the summer they'll be delighted to show some live footie and they show the confrence so standard of football wont really be an issue for them. They've even previously given the league a suprising amount of coverage really, reports on Sky Sports News, interviews with managers and Kevin Hunt, highlights of European matches and even a half an hour highlights package of last years FAI cup final, shown a fair few times on their ordinary sports channels. I'm sure they wouldn't mind sticking a highlights package and a few live games during the summer on there.

TV3 don't care, and I've a feeling even if this gantry/ladder thing is sorted out they'll still be looking for a way out.

pineapple stu
23/05/2004, 10:16 PM
Jesus christ what a stupid post, how long are you following the league?

I'm not sure about the circumstances, I'm very sceptical of TV3's current intentions but if they have got a problem with Tolka and Richmond then that's 70 out of 180 games that they can't show.

Eh...my point was that they could be exaggerating the problem with Tolka and Richmond to get out of showing the programme, which would go with their continuously poorer efforts at showing it. They've never complained about it before as Slash/Ed pointed out, and RTÉ never had problems before (that have been voiced), so why are they bringing it to a head now? Possibly to get a way out of the show.

TV3's coverage has never taken off, they've never put anything into it (RTÉ's efforts, when they wanted to, were far far superior) and I for one have long stopped watching eL Weekly. If they don't want to do it, then why not consider TG4? Or, as mentioned, Sky?

What's in the UEFA Licencing requirements for the gantries? There's space for so many cameras and reporters, number of phone lines and everything, but is there any minimum access requirement?

And what the hell has how long I'm following the league for got anything to do with it? I'm following it long enough to remember seeing proper highlights shows with proper recording equipment on at a decent hour, not TV3's half-assed stuff!

LukeO
23/05/2004, 11:36 PM
Well i didn't want to point the finger but the grounds that are in the middle of the debate are Tolka and Richmond. So is it Shels and Pats that are holding it up for everyone else .... i dunno ... we'll have to ask them.

and Drogheda :rolleyes:

Deboez Online - http://www.deboez.ipfox.com

the 12 th man
24/05/2004, 7:03 AM
More than likely Monday! at the same time as EL weekly!

if you have chorus as your cable supplier.
.tonight mon between 8 & 9 for e/l action.(it takes over channell 10 for an hour)its repeated later in the week, not sure what night :)

fbtn
24/05/2004, 8:59 AM
When TG4 was launched, they had the option of showing the eL but they choose to show a Spanish footie show instead.

Ironic, considering that the station is supposed to promote all things Irish.

Good point about the FAI using the International games as a bargaining tool but they care about the domestic game as much as the rest of them.

I blame RTE the most......thats who we pay our over-priced TV licenses to.

Hopefully something is sorted soon though, its a joke that the league isn't going to be on telly.

trevy
24/05/2004, 9:07 AM
Its very disappointing news and I'd share the suspicion that tv3 were looking for a way out.Why have the gantries that were ok up to now suddenly become unsafe.The Eircom League and FAI should be trying to get RTE,TG4 and Sky sports involved to get some tv coverage back.Its a joke!I don't have chorus in my area either.How can the league promote itself with no tv coverage.It needs to be sorted out.

max power
24/05/2004, 9:13 AM
ok there is 1 major point in my post that is being missed, the fact that a club told tv 3 in fcuk off and get their own ladder, they weren't willing to sort the problem at THEIR ground....

bring up a 5k camera and a 30k camera is a different point and the fact that from a safety point of view tv 3 have to keep the safety of their staff in mind at all times...

there were comments made about certain gantrees last season but tv 3 were told they would be up graded during the close season, which hasn't happened....

we need answers from certain dublin clubs about their attitude to a national broadcaster who were the ONLY ONES SHOWIING EL ON A WEEKLY BASIS, as bad as it was....was...past tense

liamon
24/05/2004, 10:37 AM
I blame the clubs.

If I was running TV3, I'd be very reluctant to tell an employee to carry a heavy camera up a ladder. It's a safety hazard. Any decent company doesn't allow employees to do stuff like that. I certainly wouldn't be asked to do it in my workplace.

The clubs involved need to sort the problem right now. Even if TV3 are looking for a way to pull the plug, we shouldn't just sit down and let them off easily.

wws
24/05/2004, 10:46 AM
i dunno wots goin on but in fairness to richmond park tv3 said they wouldnt go up a ladder not fixed to the ground - pats installed one that is bolted to the ground now and they still refuse to use it

as for the point re heavy equipment up a five foot ladder well rte managed to get Dolan up there for the cup semi replay v bohs so i doubt its a health and safety issue!

Macy
24/05/2004, 11:09 AM
If I was running TV3, I'd be very reluctant to tell an employee to carry a heavy camera up a ladder. It's a safety hazard. Any decent company doesn't allow employees to do stuff like that. I certainly wouldn't be asked to do it in my workplace.
Not even if you were a cameraman? Imagine that - a camera man having to carry a camera.

It's a TV3 cop out, how are things different to last season? And why can't you apologists not see it as such?

max power
24/05/2004, 11:12 AM
macy things are differnet because assurances by clubs that facilities would be inproved have not been done...

health and safety is an important part of any ground and if its not up to standard why should some one risk expensive equipment and possible personal injury to cover a game, the clubs telling them to fcuk off and get their own ladder ain't on either...

Macy
24/05/2004, 11:16 AM
FFS, if the ladder was that much a health and safety issue they wouldn't have gone up it last year (or the many years previously). Camera blokes and birds have no problem running around "riots" with better quality camera's than the shíte they use to cover the league.

A five foot ladder - you could pass the stuff up - you wouldn't even need to carry them up the ladder.

It's a cop out, nothing more nothing less.

max power
24/05/2004, 11:26 AM
macy for once i can honesty say you are wrong, there is an onis on the club to have facilities up to scratch, they were asked to up grade last year and they said they would, but they did nothing and still refuse to do it....

the camera used to film el weekly is not sh1te as you put it....if you know anthing about broadcast equipment you would know that......

A face
24/05/2004, 11:30 AM
ok there is 1 major point in my post that is being missed, the fact that a club told tv 3 in fcuk off and get their own ladder, they weren't willing to sort the problem at THEIR ground....

Now we see what is going on !!!!!!!!

This is a whole different kettle of fish ...... a club told them where to go. Now who here can even try to argue with that. And if you do, that is the attitude that has us in this situation.

Can i ask, is this the typical kind of stuff that happens everytime the eL tries to get off its knees. It the actual problem with the league, the people who are in it.

TV3 ask for a bog standard requirement ... they have to draw the line somewhere. A half ársed, del boy knackers yard, ladder nailed to the floor type solution .... TV3 should have told Pats where to go instead me thinks.

And the home made footage by Shels or any oother club is not good enough lads, it doesnt cut it. TV3 have t owork with the wrong format footage, inferior quality, dodgy camera work, rocking from side to side, head in the way etc. .... and then they have to sign their name to it and show it to the nation on Monday night. Come off the stage before someone sees ya, for gods sake.

Pineapple Stu .... the only coverage of note on telly all week and you dont watch it, man .... what are you like.

Someone said the FAI should demand better coverage ..... they dont know what the fans want, the fans aren't united and aren't in a position to say anything. FAI cant respond to random rants on MBs. If people actually cared there would be a supporters trust or something set up and fans would put something together and get something done. Until then i dont think fans really have/should have much of a say .... when is the last time a supporters club approached the FAI and told them what they actually want.

The gantries ..... Just sort it out and we wouldn't have this problem.

Slash/ED
24/05/2004, 11:33 AM
And the home made footage by Shels or any oother club is not good enough lads, it doesnt cut it. TV3 have t owork with the wrong format footage, inferior quality, dodgy camera work, rocking from side to side, head in the way etc. .... and then they have to sign their name to it and show it to the nation on Monday night. Come off the stage before someone sees ya, for gods sake.

They've used it before, why is it suddenly not good enough now?

max power
24/05/2004, 11:35 AM
i know at least two people with broadcast quality cameras ( i am one ) that can cover games and the format is perfect for tv 3, ( dv) but the clubs have no wishes to promote this....

as was said on newstalk, the league shoot themselves in the foot every season, not working together to promote and get better but only our for their own devices, if they all worked together t might be a differnet league with higher standards...

a face, goog to see a fan actually seeing the truth for what it is, tv 3 are a national broadcaster willing to show football ( although limited amount) on a weekly basis and all certain clubs do is hinder them..

well done el clubs :mad:

i feel its time to push the internet idea forward

Slash/ED
24/05/2004, 11:37 AM
a face, goog to see a fan actually seeing the truth for what it is, tv 3 are a national broadcaster willing to show football ( although limited amount) on a weekly basis and all certain clubs do is hinder them..

It's nothing to do with them being willing, they were forced into it as part of the deal to show Irish matches, weren't they? I could be wrong though.

max power
24/05/2004, 11:37 AM

it is good enough and up to standard but for big derbies they need their own cameras and staff to put a good package together, like the rovers cork game which was a great overall package, not just highlights, that is what they were aiming for each week, but without BASIC facilities it just can't be done

fbtn
24/05/2004, 11:38 AM
Now we see what is going on !!!!!!!!

This is a whole different kettle of fish ...... a club told them where to go. Now who here can even try to argue with that. And if you do, that is the attitude that has us in this situation.

Can i ask, is this the typical kind of stuff that happens everytime the eL tries to get off its knees. It the actual problem with the league, the people who are in it.

TV3 ask for a bog standard requirement ... they have to draw the line somewhere. A half ársed, del boy knackers yard, ladder nailed to the floor type solution .... TV3 should have told Pats where to go instead me thinks.

Pineapple Stu .... the only coverage of note on telly all week and you dont watch it, man .... what are you like.

Someone said the FAI should demand better coverage ..... they dont know what the fans want, the fans aren't united and aren't in a position to say anything. FAI cant respond to random rants on MBs. If people actually cared there would be a supporters trust or something set up and fans would put something together and get something done. Until then i dont think fans really have/should have much of a say .... when is the last time a supporters club approached the FAI and told them what they actually want.

The gantries ..... Just sort it out and we wouldn't have this problem.

Here here. Excellent post, have to say I agree 100%.

The onus is on the clubs FULL STOP. Like I said in an earlier post, TV3 have done a great job on little money. Now when they make a REASONABLE request to ensure the safety of their employees they are told to Eff Off.

Nice.

A face
24/05/2004, 11:39 AM

Fair enough ... to get off the ground but things have to improve. You need to have broadcast quality.

Slash/ED ... man we should be aimming to be better than their own quality no barely scraping by. It is our league .... we need to show it in its best light. This is where clubs can make a difference.

It is OK using the footage to bridge the gap, but not all the time. Even use both if there is a dodgy peno or something and another angle is needed, that is when it is good but no all the time.

Slash/ED
24/05/2004, 11:41 AM
it is good enough and up to standard but for big derbies they need their own cameras and staff to put a good package together, like the rovers cork game which was a great overall package, not just highlights, that is what they were aiming for each week, but without BASIC facilities it just can't be done

So isntead of providing highlights using ready made footage, they'll pull the plug on the coverage entirely because they can't get some fancy gimmicks on aswell? I'll admit the Cork Rovers footage was well put together, but I could live without that kind of thing if it meant I was able to get any highlights at all to be honest.

max power
24/05/2004, 11:41 AM
one point i forgot to make is that a number of the camera men used by tv 3 are from small production companies on contract using their own gear so they defo won't climb anything that will damage theie personal equipment...

Slash/ED
24/05/2004, 11:43 AM
Fair enough ... to get off the ground but things have to improve. You need to have broadcast quality.

Slash/ED ... man we should be aimming to be better than their own quality no barely scraping by. It is our league .... we need to show it in its best light. This is where clubs can make a difference.

It is OK using the footage to bridge the gap, but not all the time. Even use both if there is a dodgy peno or something and another angle is needed, that is when it is good but no all the time.

Yeah but surley if TV3 had any commitment to showing highlights at all and weren't just looking for a way out, like I suspect they are, they'd use the coverage given to them for the time being, it's better than nothing? Than, it's upto the clubs to sort it out, the onus is definitely on them.

Anyway, I still can't see how this has suddenly become a safety issue when it never was before.

max power
24/05/2004, 11:44 AM
but have this row once and its done, highlight the lack of co operation that el clubs give outside parties.....

i'd rather have 2 decent packages that 3 average ones, if those packages become a standard feature more people will watch becuase of the decent quality and might even go to the games......

improvment not going backwards is what i think...

fbtn
24/05/2004, 11:44 AM
And in fairness, some coverage looks great. Dalymount for example always looks the part while others do not and Tolka is one of them unfortunately.

max power
24/05/2004, 11:47 AM
Yeah but surley if TV3 had any commitment to showing highlights at all and weren't just looking for a way out, like I suspect they are, they'd use the coverage given to them for the time being, it's better than nothing? Than, it's upto the clubs to sort it out, the onus is definitely on them.

Anyway, I still can't see how this has suddenly become a safety issue when it never was before.

please read what i have posted above, gurantee's given by certain clubs to tv 3 that the gantrees would be improved were not done....even at the start of this season they gave them a chance to get it done, it wasn't and they were told to fcuk off and get their own stuff........

once again that is not gossip, but fact from tv 3 staff, also the indo ran the same story last week......

max power
24/05/2004, 11:50 AM
And in fairness, some coverage looks great. Dalymount for example always looks the part while others do not and Tolka is one of them unfortunately.

the position of the gantree has a lot to do with that, tolka is very high and makes some angles hard to get, daleymount is just about right....ours is ok but needs a roof and a decent ladder as well.....

Slash/ED
24/05/2004, 11:52 AM
please read what i have posted above, gurantee's given by certain clubs to tv 3 that the gantrees would be improved were not done....even at the start of this season they gave them a chance to get it done, it wasn't and they were told to fcuk off and get their own stuff........

once again that is not gossip, but fact from tv 3 staff, also the indo ran the same story last week......

How many clubs did that? Since they normally showed around 3 premier matches a week, is it enough clubs to justifty cancleing the whole thing?

what those clubs did was disgraceful, b the way, but I still think that this decision is mainly because TV3 are looking for a way out. Still, the clubs are even worse for giving them one on a plate if what you say is true.

max power
24/05/2004, 11:57 AM
40% of premier clubs... cause 2 clubs play at both tolka and richmond....

its a stand tv 3 are making to highlight the lack of co operation they are gettin from certain clubs, its the only way anything will be doen, shame them into it, as sad as it sounds its the only way they could get it done....

tv3 don't mind showing the el coverage as its a good pr point for them, rte weren't bothered so tv 3 show that they are...the ratings weren't too bad but they knew the show had to improve, 2 pundits was the first change, decent package to feel the waters and then push that weekly until the show was almost an hour long, with an extre break for ad revenue...

but no help from certain clubs has put an end to that, you'll notice neither club have denied any comments made by tv 3 or in the indo ??

eoinh
24/05/2004, 12:02 PM
well max, if that was their plan, lets hope it works.

this could result in better facilities, better standards and a better show.

No even el clubs are that stupid to let the show go down the tubes. :confused:

wws
24/05/2004, 12:04 PM
they're actually contractually obliged to - and have broken that contract

tv gantries my b0ll0x - its not an issue and the one at richmond has been secured - there is NO excuse now

A face
24/05/2004, 12:05 PM
also the indo ran the same story last week......

Oh fcuk ..... didnt know that ... dont mind the beechin' as long as the general public dont know. Man ... we have to sort ourselves out.

Slash/ED ..... no showing the other footage is for two reasons i'd say .... firstly it is too hard to show highlights when you are trying to stretch the footage. the second is the auld push trun to shove tactic, TV3 are leading the clubs by the hand, showing them what they need to do and hope that they'll do the right thing for the league. A national broadcasting company trying to get clubs to sort themselves out. Madness

Is there any chance we can find out who told TV3 to go fcuk off ..... you know a scape goat ... we could make him responsible and all that goes with.

max power
24/05/2004, 12:05 PM
after having a chat with a couple of the tv 3 lads on sat night, that is the plan....hope it works

max power
24/05/2004, 12:07 PM

tv gantries my b0ll0x - its not an issue and the one at richmond has been secured - there is NO excuse now

they have not broken any cntract as serious health and safety issues were raised and not fixed, so they are well with their rights to stop going to richmond, plus they showed the cork game last week so highlights were shown by tv 3 so no contract was broken.....

btw richmond is not the only ground in question

A face
24/05/2004, 12:17 PM

Is this the attitude shared by your club aswell .... is this why we are in this pickle ..... St. Patricks Athletic ... the club that invented football ...... come off the stage .... we all can see who is causing the problem ...... everyone is tip toeing around ye (i agree with that seeing as things aren't the best with you right now, need to cut you some slack) ...... and you are not standing ot be counted and trying to sort the problem.

I am sorry wws .... you dont have a leg to stand on. I wouldn't mind if it were just yourselves .... but this time it involves the whole league. Not youselves so everything you do as regards this situation effects everyone.

Take it on the chin, every club has gone through different scrapes ..... but dont defend the indefendable (is that a word?)

Gantries .... co-operation ..... footage ...... progress ..... evolving league.

They should be your words for the day !!

Macy
24/05/2004, 12:29 PM
after having a chat with a couple of the tv 3 lads on sat night, that is the plan....hope it works
Yeah, because they were going to come out and say that they really couldn't be arsed anymore.

It is a cop out, and last season when there were no issue's over the gantry's they didn't exactly go out of their way to send camera's. All this rubbish about TV3 being great - they do it because they have to.

The roof arguement is boll0x too in Longford's case - look at the sports like golf etc where their exposed to the elements. In Flancare they could bring the equipment in through the ground, pass them on to the gantry and then climb the ladder - no issue over carrying the equipment up a ladder. No problem for Sky for the under 21 internationals, no problem for RTE for the cup semi, only a problem for a company looking for an excuse not to put on a TV show it could do without.

wws
24/05/2004, 12:30 PM
i read the first few lines than gave up

face, if you think tv3 arent showin games because of health and safety ure a bigger muppet than i thought was possible. also i dont work for pats, I just look at the available evidence and recent history and draw my own conclusions like most rational punters

as far as i can recall that gantry is owned by rte for starters!