PDA

View Full Version : Pre Season 2011

razor
17/01/2011, 8:35 AM
Cork City will face Airtricity League of Ireland champions Shamrock Rovers and FAI Ford Cup winners Sligo Rovers as part of the club’s pre-season programme at the Cork home of Munster Rugby, Musgrave Park.

League champions Shamrock Rovers will visit Leeside on Friday, February 4th, while Sligo Rovers will provide the opposition for Tommy Dunne’s side on Friday, February 18th. Both games will kick off at 7.45 pm.More here (http://www.corkcityfc.net/home/2011/01/14/league-and-cup-winners-to-face-city-at-musgrave-park/)

Cork City FC Pre-Season 2011:

Cobh Ramblers, Bishopstown, Saturday 29th January, 2pm
Shamrock Rovers, Musgrave Park, Friday February 4th, 7.45pm
Sligo Rovers, Musgrave Park, Friday February 18th, 7.45pm
Sporting Fingal, Bishopstown, Sunday 20th February, 2pm

We also have one competetive fixture, the quarter final of the Munster Senior Cup

Waterford Utd, RSC, Sunday February 13th, 2pm

A face
17/01/2011, 1:56 PM
Cork City FC Pre-Season 2011:

Cobh Ramblers, Bishopstown, Saturday 29th January, 2pm
Shamrock Rovers, Musgrave Park, Friday February 4th, 7.45pm
Sligo Rovers, Musgrave Park, Friday February 18th, 7.45pm
Sporting Fingal, Bishopstown, Sunday 20th February, 2pm

Why so because? I'd prefer Bishopstown over Muzzer to be honest.

razor
17/01/2011, 2:02 PM
Why so because? I'd prefer Bishopstown over Muzzer to be honest.There's work being done at the Cross and the hope is to get a bit of a crowd in i'd guess, which Bishopstown wouldn't really cater for.

We could advertise the Sligo game as Munster v Connaught and the Rovers one as Munster v Leinster
that might bring up the crowd especially now that the bandwagon is slowing down.

Onefootednopace
17/01/2011, 5:45 PM
There's work being done at the Cross and the hope is to get a bit of a crowd in i'd guess, which Bishopstown wouldn't really cater for.

We could advertise the Sligo game as Munster v Connaught and the Rovers one as Munster v Leinster
that might bring up the crowd especially now that the bandwagon is slowing down.

I hope the work at the Cross includes updating the P.A. system, couldn't hear a thing last season especially when the opposing teams line-up was being announced.
I'm looking forward to a trip to Musgrave Park, the last time I was inside the gates of the place, Davy Barry cracked one in against Bayern Munich. All my visits to that venue took place in 1991 as City took on Celtic, Man City, Leeds and Sunderland in friendlies that summer.

Martinho II
17/01/2011, 11:06 PM
I assume lads that musgrave park and bishopstown are within walkin distance of turners cross?

micls
18/01/2011, 12:11 AM
Musgrave park is only a minute away.

Bishopstown is a fair bit away, you'd have to drive or take a bus. It's our training ground, and where our youth games are.

A face
18/01/2011, 9:52 AM
There's work being done at the Cross and the hope is to get a bit of a crowd in i'd guess, which Bishopstown wouldn't really cater for.

Ok, ideal .... good to hear it there is a bit of work going on.

Slowing down :eek: .... i think they are scrambling for some bricks to prop the wagon up on before the last wheel buckles and falls off. The GCSP are gonna scurry away under rocks and into holes and never be seen again.

Good way to advertise it though !!

razor
18/01/2011, 10:25 AM
Good way to advertise it though !!If anyone is prepared to sponsor a cup we could call it something catchy like the Dutch Gold Cup or some other dutch beer. :D

Onefootednopace
18/01/2011, 11:58 AM
Slowing down :eek: .... i think they are scrambling for some bricks to prop the wagon up on before the last wheel buckles and falls off. The GCSP are gonna scurry away under rocks and into holes and never be seen again.

Forgive my ignorance, what does GCSP stand for? I presume it's some reference to supporters of the egg chasing.

micls
18/01/2011, 12:02 PM
The mythical 'Great cork Sporting Public'

Onefootednopace
18/01/2011, 12:37 PM
Thanks micls, I've learned something new today. Sure, it happens in all codes, when the going gets tough the hangers-on jump swiftly on to the next available bandwagon.

micls
18/01/2011, 12:40 PM
Yeah, it's an overriding term, rather than specifically for rugby but basically just mocking the above claim as repeated regularly on tv and radio

razor
18/01/2011, 1:13 PM
Thanks micls, I've learned something new today. Sure, it happens in all codes, when the going gets tough the hangers-on jump swiftly on to the next available bandwagon.Its up to us to provide a wagon big enough to catch a few of them as they fall off the Munster one.

London-Irish
27/01/2011, 2:55 PM
Are match programmes going to be issued for these friendlies? Also, are there any spectator facilities at Bishopstown?

micls
28/01/2011, 1:33 AM
Probably just a team list, if lucky.

There a stand at Bishopstown alright.

razor
28/01/2011, 10:10 AM
Probably just a team list, if lucky.

There a stand at Bishopstown alright.and toilets, i think. :D

razor
29/01/2011, 4:17 PM
Cork City 3-0 Cobh Ramblers
Game was played on the all weather surface at Colaiste Stiofán Naofa as the pitch in Bishopstown was frozen.
Vinny Sullivan and Davin O'Neill put City 2 up at half time and Anthony Wolfe got the third in the second half.

A face
31/01/2011, 8:55 AM
Cork City 3-0 Cobh Ramblers
Game was played on the all weather surface at Colaiste Stiofán Naofa as the pitch in Bishopstown was frozen.
Vinny Sullivan and Davin O'Neill put City 2 up at half time and Anthony Wolfe got the third in the second half.

Is he back? How was his form?

razor
31/01/2011, 9:04 AM
Is he back? How was his form?Looked lively but it wasn't any sort of test, hopefully that'll come Friday night against the League Champions

London-Irish
31/01/2011, 10:47 AM
Weren't Cork actually going to play their league games at Bishopstown when it was originally being built? What happened at that time? Was it not completed to the necessary standard?

citybone
31/01/2011, 1:51 PM
Bishopstown pitch was boggy / frozen as the pitch wasn't drained well and the stand is on the south side of the pitch (which reduced sunlight on the pitch) as well as not having a bus route out there at the time / bag road at the edge of the city and had terrible crowds)

London-Irish
31/01/2011, 7:19 PM
Were any league games every played at Bishopstown?

citybone
31/01/2011, 9:12 PM
Yes but it nearly resulted the club going broke. Untill Brian Lennox and a few others took over and moved back to Turners cross. Cant remember which season
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HEts5UJgdA there is also a video of bohs travelling to cobh somewhere for a rearranged game but city not turning up but cant find it

razor
31/01/2011, 10:41 PM
Yes but it nearly resulted the club going broke. Untill Brian Lennox and a few others took over and moved back to Turners cross. Cant remember which seasonWe played in Bishopstown the year we won the league. 1992/93.

citybone
01/02/2011, 9:21 AM
was it the year before that Dundalk denied us the title in the Cross?

razor
01/02/2011, 11:01 AM
was it the year before that Dundalk denied us the title in the Cross?

no, that was 90/91

rebelraider
22/02/2011, 2:18 AM
we played galatasary out in bishopstown in the champions league qualfier.