PDA

View Full Version : Cowen gone this week

Pages : [1] 2

Spudulika
16/01/2011, 11:48 AM
I know that it's all to play for, but the shoving from slimy Martin and the posse of the damned look like they have finally removed another of Irish politics legacy office holders. I was told by an FG insider that their "sources" are saying that Cowen will resign tomorrow and an election be called for mid-next month.

BonnieShels
16/01/2011, 4:00 PM
Cowen to stay...

Spudulika
17/01/2011, 7:20 AM
Events moved quickly since I posted this. Maybe I was a day early - in that he'll go tomorrow. Great listening to the TD's lining up to support Cowen, now John Curran is on board. Martin blundered, he's lost the top job now - unless he transfers to FG :-)

Mr A
17/01/2011, 8:30 AM
Always felt that the first to move would not win the leadership- hence they were all too scared to actually make a real move. Looks like Cowen has outflanked them and will most likely hold on.

What we need now is for him to win the vote, then for yet more stuff to come out about his cosy relationship with the Golden Circle :)

Spudulika
17/01/2011, 9:07 AM
The Waterford Witterer is on PK now, 2 people you'd never tire of slapping.

Agree with you on the fear factor, I see this as being FF's mandarins making sure they get back into power with another snake in charge.

juan
17/01/2011, 9:52 AM
Cowen is supposed to have said to a local Radio Station that Michael Martin's offer to resign as Minister is staying on the table until after the Fianna Fail parliamentary party meeting tomorrow.

Tomorrow will be very interesting. Are the "Conspiritors" uniting behind Martin or are the likes of Hanafin and Lenihan looking to takeover too?

dahamsta
17/01/2011, 10:40 AM
Cowen is supposed to have said to a local Radio Station that Michael Martin's offer to resign as Minister is staying on the table until after the Fianna Fail parliamentary party meeting tomorrow.

Since he rejected it yesterday, does that mean he doesn't actually believe himself at this stage?

Tomorrow will be very interesting. Are the "Conspiritors" uniting behind Martin or are the likes of Hanafin and Lenihan looking to takeover too?

I don't think Lenihan has the balls, and if he does go for it, I hope he gets shafted.

Macy
17/01/2011, 10:58 AM
I don't think Lenihan has the balls, and if he does go for it, I hope he gets shafted.
Aye, echo that.

All three current pretenders are in serious danger of not being elected in the General Election - would the leaders bounce offset the reduced local profile? I hope not...

Spudulika
17/01/2011, 11:20 AM
I can't see how Martin will be re-elected after this, surely the voters will see it's a set up. Cowen badly needs to get Mary O'Rourke off the scene as she's going to angle for one of her boys to go for top spot. I'd take them all out the back of the Dail and do a Ceaucescu on them.

Mr A
17/01/2011, 11:28 AM
I can't see how Martin will be re-elected after this, surely the voters will see it's a set up.

If anything they'll see it as one of their own being shafted by them hoors up in Dublin. That's Irish politics.

Spudulika
17/01/2011, 11:57 AM
Thanks Mr. A, I keep forgetting that it'll be looked at like that. Look at the heads who have been disgraced but re-elected.

Eminence Grise
17/01/2011, 12:00 PM
Cowen’s phone calls suggested he has the numbers to win, so he’s called the conspirators’ bluff. The problem for them is that the first to move is the first to be gunned down. In the blink-off, Martin panicked first.

He has the most to lose – he’s been tipped as a leader for almost a decade, and his reputation has been smeared by references to indecisiveness. If he didn’t act now (and I don’t think he wanted to – hence Hamlet on the Leeside), he would have confirmed his dithering nature, and probably wouldn’t get another chance. But, remember, this is a man who threatened to offer his resignation and who has campaigned half-heartedly at best.

Spudulika, I think you momentarily underestimated the Cork propensity for victimhood and martyrology: a good shafting would set Tricky Micky up to top the poll. Disgruntled FF voters could safely vote for him as a protest against the party and Dublin/Offaly langers. Warped logic, but this is FF. And, more pertinently, FF in Cork – whose dissident TDs some texter to Pat Kenny’s show today called the Four Corkmen of the Apocalypse....

Meanwhile, Lenihan’s been very quiet. Don’t rule out a succession deal between Cowen and him. I suspect Schoolmarm Hanafin, who doesn’t drink with the boys in the Dáil bar, might have to satisfy her ambitions by supporting another candidate for the leadership, with her as deputy.

No matter who gets it, I wish them a spectacularly long career as the first FF leader never to be Taoiseach!

osarusan
17/01/2011, 12:16 PM
Pat Rabbitte made a point on TV during the week that with so few FF TD's safe in their seats, the prospect of facing into an election soon after challenging but failing to depose Cowen as leader is possibly stopping challengers from emerging.

BonnieShels
17/01/2011, 1:03 PM
EG, bang on the money.

One thing I will add though, Lenny's gonna keep schism simply because:
1. He knew he would be at a Euro meeting today so no need to say anything at all over the weekend.
2. The ballot is secret so he can just say after tomorrow that he supported x knowing that no one will know.
3. It's In his interests for Cowen to lead into the next GE as he will take a lot of flak for Lenny.
4. Mammy and Kebab can do any dirty work for him and he can deflect it.
5. Whoever leads FF into the next election is going to lose and therefore will not stay on. in theory. Lenny can take up the mantle then.

Dodge
17/01/2011, 1:08 PM
Will Lenihan's health hold up? I thought he only worked 4 day weeks?

Macy
17/01/2011, 2:18 PM
I think his success in the election would be more an issue at this stage tbh, I think (hope) people are seeing him for what he is, finally. Has his health really been the issue it's been made out to be?

bluemovie
17/01/2011, 3:46 PM
The Waterford Witterer is on PK now,

Who?

The word from the Lenihan camp (with their regular helpful leaks and comments from auntie and little bro) is that his cancer has stabilised and he's fully able to continue working (and would love to lead FF).

I'm ecstatic that Cowen is staying on. Fianna Fail will be annihilated with him as leader. I always gave them credit for being shrewd electoral tacticians, but how stupid are they to face the country with one of the chief architects of the bust in charge? They're asking the electorate to consider Cowen's record and put him back into government for another five years. I can see the posters now: his fat head with the slogan "A lot of damage done. More to do".

As has been said, he obviously knows he has the numbers to win the confidence motion having spoken to TDs over the weekend, otherwise he wouldn't have called for the vote. Lenihan was clearly keeping quiet, waiting in the long grass for a heave. Often the person who starts the coup loses out. Didn't Heseltine stick the knife in Thatcher, but the loyal Major got the job? This must be what O Cuiv (did I mention who my grandfather was?) is hoping for, but he has zero chance. If FF had a new leader they might con a few of the more gullible voters into believing they'd changed, but Cowen may as well have Seanie Fitz and Mikey Fingers canvassing for him. If Cowen leads them into the election, I'm revising my estimate from 45 FF seats to 35. Fingers crossed.

The Fly
17/01/2011, 4:01 PM
EG, bang on the money.

I had to double check who you were referring to. ;)

mypost
17/01/2011, 6:17 PM
Mammy and Kebab can do any dirty work for him and he can deflect it.

:bigsmile:

Cowen's opponents need 36 votes to oust him, and begin a leadership contest between themselves. So far, they have 7 declared votes. FF heaves are notoriously dirty, so there'll be plenty of backstabbers around before the vote is taken. We've already seen some of it from both sides in the media.

Kingdom
17/01/2011, 6:44 PM
All this talk of for and against, what does it matter? It's a secret ballot, the actual tallies probably won't be announced so there will probably be plenty of talking from both sides of the mouth being done.

BonnieShels
17/01/2011, 7:40 PM
I had to double check who you were referring to. ;)

;)

I was worried that someone may confuse EG with EG. Thankfully it's very obvious I meant EG and not EG as there was no comment about John Delaney, the FAI's love of Ulster's children or the fact that clearly Norn Iron R d shizz!

Eminence Grise
17/01/2011, 10:30 PM
;)

I was worried that someone may confuse EG with EG. Thankfully it's very obvious I meant EG and not EG as there was no comment about John Delaney, the FAI's love of Ulster's children or the fact that clearly Norn Iron R d shizz!

Hey! Guys! I know my posts can be longwinded, but puh-leeeze...

(Alright, time to 'fess up: I had to do a double-take myself - I'm not used to seeing my eminent appellation in the abridged sense!)

elroy
18/01/2011, 10:15 PM
Well Cowen survives for another day. Surprising in some sense but it appears that Cowen had done his maths and was happy last weekend that he had enough votes to survive. Would like to see MM challenge for the leadership post the election when it is almost certain Cowen will have stepped down. Lenihan has come quite poorly out of the whole scenario, appears to be shown upon as deceitful, canvassing for a support to oust Cowen in recent months but declaring this support for Cowen in the last 24 hours.

I for one want to see FF punished in the next election for the ruination of the country in recent years. I think the vote of confidence in Cowen strengths the chances of this in the election, whereas a new leader would have allowed FF to advertise themselves as a fresh start etc in the election. 8% rating for the leader of the largest party in the polls, says it all really.

Spudulika
19/01/2011, 5:39 AM
Like Martin I jumped the gun, but god I had to laugh at FF yesterday. How can anyone, and I mean, anyone, vote for them. They're a wreck. I wondered watching the news and Primetime whether this wasn't all an elaborate charade to bring Lenihan out into the open and destroy him. Martin too. Lenihan used Mammy and Conor to knife Biffo, Martin couldn't control his ego. Last night Martin looked like he was about to cry, he'll be re-elected by the morons who told Morning Ireland yesterday - "sure isn't he one of ours". This is the same rhetoric that these "citizens" rounded on the Catholic Church for using in relation to pervert priests and employees.

Dodge
19/01/2011, 10:08 AM
Cowen takes the Foreign Affairs portfolio.

Best decision he's ever made. Not giving this job to Dick Roche

Mr A
19/01/2011, 11:30 AM
Cowen taking over Foreign Affairs as well is just bizarre though.

Mary O Rourke reveals that Cowen won comprehensively:

However, Longford-Westmeath TD Mary O’Rourke said on Twitter this morning the motion was carried by a margin of two to one. “So now the fuss is over - vote was 2-1 in favour of Brian Cowen... secret of course!!” she tweeted. “All very polite and would have preferred a bit of blood and thunder myself... this politeness won’t last!”

Have I mentioned that she annoys my happiness? Would love to see her lose her seat again.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0119/breaking1.html

Eminence Grise
19/01/2011, 11:42 AM
I’m disappointed with Lenihan on Sean O’Rourke yesterday: such arrogance to deny fomenting dissent, when he should have ignored the question. It reminded me of Brian Lenihan Snr. Apples don’t fall far from trees. It’s no surprise that an FFer might be a duplicitous snake in the grass, but there’s no need to offer proof. A lot of angry FFers, but I still suspect he and Biffo have an “understanding”.

Hanafin’s dead in the water. It’s too late today to say she voted against Biffo. She should resign as minister, but that takes integrity and courage. Might not get re-elected, but that would mean voters preferred Barry Andrews. The evil of two lessers....

Tricky Micky will romp home and, playing the martyr card, could still have a tilt at the leadership. But he’s got a lot of work to do to show that that he has guts and authority.

And O’Cuiv is still the likeliest compromise candidate.

Agree with Dodge on not giving Dick Roche (aka Cockroach – ah! Double puns!) Foreign Affairs. But it should go to someone like Peter Power, or any other TD who needs a boost. Even a month as minister could save a TD, repay a debt to, oh, Barry Andrews, say– and shaft Hanafin. Win. Win. Win.

Macy
19/01/2011, 1:00 PM
I’m disappointed with Lenihan on Sean O’Rourke yesterday: such arrogance to deny fomenting dissent, when he should have ignored the question. It reminded me of Brian Lenihan Snr. Apples don’t fall far from trees. It’s no surprise that an FFer might be a duplicitous snake in the grass, but there’s no need to offer proof. A lot of angry FFers, but I still suspect he and Biffo have an “understanding”.
Brian Lenihan, found to be telling mistruths, who'd have thunk it! Only when it's an internal matter do the FF backbenchers spit the dummy...

Mr A
19/01/2011, 1:39 PM
Or stag hunting or something similarly earth shatteringly important.

mypost
19/01/2011, 2:34 PM
Cowen taking over Foreign Affairs as well is just bizarre though.

It's not bizarre at all. He took over the Defence Ministry also when O'Dea "resigned". He had the Foreign Affairs Ministry during the Nice 1 referendum. Of all the cabinet posts, it's probably the least important, so Martin is not much loss.

It was fairly obvious Cowen would have the numbers, he called the motion after all.

bennocelt
19/01/2011, 2:43 PM
Mary O Rourke reveals that Cowen won comprehensively:

Have I mentioned that she annoys my happiness? Would love to see her lose her seat again.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0119/breaking1.html

Tough choice - either its her or (god help us) Donnie Cassidy :(- as Westmeath/Longford always go with at least one FF candidate

dahamsta
19/01/2011, 3:16 PM
I wouldn't consider foreign affairs unimportant in any way, shape or form. Until we get back to farming - something Fianna Fail is currently fighting tooth and nail against, see "sugar beet" in the news - two of our most important sources of income in Ireland are tourism and taxation of multinational companies. It's kind of important we have good relations with everyone else.

Which makes it even more important that we get rid of this buffoon as soon as possible. Biffo as the face of Ireland? Jesus help us all.

John83
19/01/2011, 3:26 PM
Which makes it even more important that we get rid of this buffoon as soon as possible. Biffo as the face of Ireland? Jesus help us all.
Who has two thumbs and doesn't give a ****?
http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/archive/00455/biffo_herald_455622t.jpg

Dodge
19/01/2011, 3:30 PM
Of all the cabinet posts, it's probably the least important

Wow! In terms of political ladder Its just below finance, level with Justice, and ahead of everythign else.

pineapple stu
19/01/2011, 3:31 PM
Maybe mypost is North Korean?

mypost
19/01/2011, 3:48 PM
Wow! In terms of political ladder Its just below finance, level with Justice, and ahead of everythign else.

It isn't more important than Health, Justice, Social Welfare, Education, or Defence. It would struggle to be level with Communications, Environment, or Agriculture imo. In the current climate, Joe and Jane O'Toole in Roscommon isn't that interested in the internal affairs of Tunisian politics or how much overseas aid per month Zimbabwe is getting, the kind of things that the Foreign Affairs Minister may have to find out.

It's a nice one to get, there's lots of wining, dining, and foreign trips on our expense, but there are a good few more important cabinet positions than it.

dahamsta
19/01/2011, 4:00 PM
Wow indeed Dodge.

Dodge
19/01/2011, 5:54 PM
It isn't more important than Health, Justice, Social Welfare, Education, or Defence. It would struggle to be level with Communications, Environment, or Agriculture imo. In the current climate, Joe and Jane O'Toole in Roscommon isn't that interested in the internal affairs of Tunisian politics or how much overseas aid per month Zimbabwe is getting, the kind of things that the Foreign Affairs Minister may have to find out.

It's a nice one to get, there's lots of wining, dining, and foreign trips on our expense, but there are a good few more important cabinet positions than it.

YOu think cabinet positions are handed out on the basis of what "Joe and Jane O'Toole in Roscommon" are interested in? LOL, seriously?

BonnieShels
19/01/2011, 8:05 PM
Harney resigned and is not standing in election.

Spudulika
19/01/2011, 8:34 PM
I enjoyed listening to Lenihan trying not to say what he'd been doing, but the more he tried to FAI/LOI his way out of it, the worse it looked for him and the more a fool he sounded. There will be a lot of big companies with new Board members on them - Harney for the VHI?

BonnieShels
19/01/2011, 9:15 PM
Defo.
Harney said that she told BC that she intended to resign. He said to say nothing til this week, ie. today.
so another day goes by without Golfgate in the headlines... What exactly is going on here... FF and especially Cowen and Lenihan are scared of something really serious coming out about that meeting. This has all been staged-managed to the highest degree.

The DoF released a lot of documents last week pertaining to Anglo but it was buried by talk of the pitiful heave.

Now to dig...

Dodge
19/01/2011, 11:47 PM
Can the thread title be chaged to "Cowen only one left by end of this week" please mods

Dodge
20/01/2011, 12:44 AM
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/0120/1224287944588.html?digest=1

basically states that they only resigned to shut the greens up moaning about a reshuffle

A fecking reshuffle with 6 weeks left?

mypost
20/01/2011, 5:54 AM
YOu think cabinet positions are handed out on the basis of what "Joe and Jane O'Toole in Roscommon" are interested in? seriously?

I didn't think it, and it wasn't what I was on about either.

pineapple stu
20/01/2011, 8:58 AM
Please explain what you meant by the following quote of yours then -

n the current climate, Joe and Jane O'Toole in Roscommon isn't that interested in [...] the kind of things that the Foreign Affairs Minister may have to find out.

Dodge
20/01/2011, 9:18 AM
Batt O'Keeffe gone now

passinginterest
20/01/2011, 10:58 AM
Cowen will have to come up with some sort of catch all title for his new position, something along the lines of "King and Sole Administrator of the land of Eireann" would suit.

pineapple stu
20/01/2011, 11:26 AM
"Dear Leader" seems appropriate for a mad megalomaniac (the only one in charge) who refuses to acknowledge that his decisions - narrow-mindedly pushing along one solitary, non-productive area of the economy - have destroyed the country, leaving it on the brink of collapse.

John83
20/01/2011, 11:28 AM
I've always thought that Taoiseach is a good Irish translation of Führer. Perhaps a gaelgoir could set me right though.

culloty82
20/01/2011, 11:40 AM
Think it originally meant chieftain, fairly apt for our tribal politics.