25 Longfrord
33 Athlone
100 Mervue
100 Salthillt

1-4 odds 1,2 or 3

Im thinking maybe Shels,especially with Matthews there at the start

Mr A
13/01/2011, 6:12 PM
Jeepers. I know we weren't great last season but to completely rule out the possibility of us winning is a bit harsh.

Fair perhaps.

But harsh.

Dillonman
13/01/2011, 6:17 PM
Cork or Shels would seem a decent bet.

Jofspring
13/01/2011, 6:19 PM
Ya Shels or Cork look like they could be good bets. No Finn Harps and we are still called Limerick 37. Isn't it great that they know nothing about LOI.

cornflakes
13/01/2011, 6:47 PM
No wexford either

KUFCMan
13/01/2011, 6:56 PM
Sorry folks I just cant seem to copy and paste correctly

Heres Boyles latest odds from today

5-2 Waterford
11-4 Limerick
7-2 Cork
7-2 Shels
12 Mons
16 Harps
18 Drogs
25 Longford
33 Athlone
66 Youths
100 Mervue
100 Salthill

EACH WAY 1-5 ODDS 1,2 OR 3

nigel-harps1954
13/01/2011, 7:02 PM
16-1 Harps? I'll take that ;)

athloneman
13/01/2011, 7:54 PM
im sorry but athlone shorter odds than wexford??? jesus these bookies really have no clue about the league, as of this moment athlone have no manager,no players,no plan and absolutely no hope!!

shels looks the bet to me or at least a good each way shout!!

Lim till i die
13/01/2011, 8:05 PM
Limerick at 11-4 is an absolute joke.

We've done nothing in the off season to suggest we'll be challenging Shels, Waterford or FORAS.

Or Monaghan for that matter. (altho if Gartland leaves they're more or less our level.)

I thought we'd be ten or twelve to one and I was going to have a cheeky each way bet. I shant be touching those odds with a barge pole.

Shels at 7-10 to finish top three is more or less buying money for next christmas if any league of ireland fan has a spare grand they don't want to give to drogheda, bohs or galway.

Longfordian
13/01/2011, 8:33 PM
Yeah Shels would be my tip too. I'd like to say we'd be a good each way bet at 25-1 but whilst I think we'll do better than last year I think we'll be about 5th-6th.

legendz
13/01/2011, 9:35 PM
I agree with most of the odds except for Limerick. Waterford or Shel's will probably win the Division with Cork and Limerick being the main challengers.

CSFShels
13/01/2011, 10:33 PM
I am enjoying people thinking we are good for once.

bluewhitearmy
13/01/2011, 10:52 PM
I agree with most of the odds except for Limerick. Waterford or Shel's will probably win the Division with Cork and Limerick being the main challengers.

Highly doubt that.

Cork Shels and Waterford to fight it out for the league then a big gap to us and maybe Mons depending on who they sign.

legendz
13/01/2011, 10:58 PM
If Limerick are in and around 4th most of the season, they won't be too far of 3rd place and play-offs depending on what is happening with the league.

osarusan
13/01/2011, 11:04 PM
No way we're second favourites. Last season, we took a total of 10 points from a possible 36 in 12 games against the teams that finished ahead of us. If you take Shelbourne out of that equation (I shouldn't, but they did get ahead of us just for the last few games), we took 4 points from a possible 27 against Derry, Waterford and Monaghan.

I'm not sure we've done anything to make me more confident of us get ahead of Waterford, Monaghan or Shels, and Cork may well pass us out.

Longfordian
13/01/2011, 11:54 PM
I'm curious to see how Monaghan will be. They've lost a few experienced players. I'm sure they'll be up near the top but whether they'll be quite as strong as last year remains to be seen, they've been quiet enough signings wise as far as I can see.

gufcfan
14/01/2011, 2:47 AM
No odds for Bohs?

micls
14/01/2011, 3:39 AM
Highly doubt that.

Cork Shels and Waterford to fight it out for the league then a big gap to us and maybe Mons depending on who they sign.

I dont think theyre will be much between us and yourselves, unless we find a few decent players to add. Ye still have a decent team, and a consistent goalscorer which will make a big difference when he has a full season.

I think Shels and Waterford will be first and second and us and yourselves fighting for the play off spot. That said I have absolutely noi dea how good Monaghan will be, Im only basing this on the fact that a lot seem to be leaving them.

Magicme
14/01/2011, 8:33 AM
I'm curious to see how Monaghan will be. They've lost a few experienced players. I'm sure they'll be up near the top but whether they'll be quite as strong as last year remains to be seen, they've been quiet enough signings wise as far as I can see.

Just cos we have kept our signings quiet doesn't mean that we haven't made some significant ones. We have replaced what we have lost with, in my opinion, better, premier level, experienced players. Only worry I have is if Garto is gonna stick around as rumour has it he may be America bound.

Real ale Madrid
14/01/2011, 11:22 AM
If Tom Segal did football - he would be tipping Mons at 12s - real e/w value there.

legendz
14/01/2011, 11:34 AM
I see Cork have changed their crest and everything back to being Cork City. It's hard to know what to expect from them but they should be part of a three way battle with Waterford and Shel's, Limerick despite their fans lack of belief, won't be too far off the top 3 as long as they pick up points like last season and as osarusan points out, they need to do better in the bigger games.

Dillonman
14/01/2011, 12:07 PM
Is nobody tipping Monaghan to do something similar to last year then?

Sam_Heggy
14/01/2011, 12:59 PM
Why would Mons keep their signings quiet if they are already signed? Seems strange.

Also, interesting to see them let 2 of their brighter local lads from the 20's leave the club and join Dungannon.

Harps are only part way through signing a squad. We could be a very good side this season but alot depends on getting a centre mid and centre back. We're looking pretty good in most other departments.

What kind of side will Drogs muster up? If they get a middle of the road budget, there is alot of top 1st Div players in the Dublin area unattached. Im sure the manager is eyeing up and possibly speaking to some of those.

How good will Cork really be?

Until the majority of squads are confirmed it's really hard to guage how the division will pan out.

monsexile
14/01/2011, 1:03 PM
Is nobody tipping Monaghan to do something similar to last year then?
Well, 11-1 is probably about right as in the end we only finished third. Can understand why we'd be behind Cork, Waterford and Shels and probably Drogs and Limerick as well. Will also be tough to sustain the effort of last year even if Barrett and Fabio do well.

Darkglasses
14/01/2011, 1:48 PM
The bookies have always put the Youths too far back, they put us in second or third last for the past two years but we've always managed mid-table at least. We've signings still to come in too..

thischarmingman
14/01/2011, 2:10 PM

Just cos we have kept our signings quiet doesn't mean that we haven't made some significant ones. We have replaced what we have lost with, in my opinion, better, premier level, experienced players.

I haven't been following Monaghan's off season too closely, but I was under the impression they would have a significantly weakened squad this year with players leaving over the break? I think I'm basing it on a pretty pessimistic post by Magicme after the play-off and with the dust settling, maybe things didn't work out as badly? Would be nice to see them back in the Premier anyway.

osarusan
14/01/2011, 2:10 PM
The bookies have always put the Youths too far back, they put us in second or third last for the past two years but we've always managed mid-table at least. We've signings still to come in too..

Do the Youths still have Dempsey and Furlong for next season? They scored a few goals for you last season. It will be difficult for you to replace Sheahan though I think.

Magicme
14/01/2011, 4:35 PM
Why would Mons keep their signings quiet if they are already signed? Seems strange.

Also, interesting to see them let 2 of their brighter local lads from the 20's leave the club and join Dungannon.

We don't announce signings coz we learned the hard way a few years ago that players sign and sometimes change their minds so we only announce squads when registration has been complete.

As for the 2 lads, good and all as they are, they are not at the level we are require when aiming for promotion.

I haven't been
following Monaghan's off season too closely, but I was under the impression they would have a significantly weakened squad this year with players leaving over the break? I think I'm basing it on a pretty pessimistic post by Magicme after the play-off and with the dust settling, maybe things didn't work out as badly? Would be nice to see them back in the Premier anyway.

Yup I was pessimistic but I forgot how resilient mons are and that Mick Cooke is well respected by players in the league and that our consistency in paying players offers some extra leverage in signing players.

Sure I wish some of the players had stayed but the core of the team are staying and the rest are being replaced by better.

bluewhitearmy
14/01/2011, 11:22 PM
Dont think Barrett and Fabio are as good as what Monaghan had last year....Depends if Fabio is in the mood i suppose how many did he end up playing for Athlone?

Magicme
14/01/2011, 11:43 PM
Its all about the manager bluewhitearmy. Cooke is great at getting the best out of talented lads who may have lost their way so am very optimistic about them. They have both been at the very top of their game and I believe that they will do the business for us.....if they have indeed signed. ;-)

Longfordian
14/01/2011, 11:46 PM
Athlone fans didn't take to him anyway. Though in his defence Brendan Place had a habit of alienating players so that might have had something to do with it. Barrett isn't the player he was either, injuries have taken a big toll. Philly Hughes is much more effective IMO.

Magicme
14/01/2011, 11:50 PM
Philly Hughes got most of his goals from penos. So 2010. So over him. Next.

Lim till i die
14/01/2011, 11:53 PM
And which one of Fabio and Barrett is going to replace Brian Gartland at centre half?? :ball:

Longfordian
14/01/2011, 11:54 PM
You never were gone on him in the first place if memory serves. We'll see anyway I don't doubt ye'll have a pretty decent side anyway. I get what you're saying about players knowing they'll get paid too it's helped us get everybody we wanted to sign up again.

bullit
15/01/2011, 12:00 AM
MagicMe.............. Fabio to be sent off in the game immediately preceding your game V Drogs !!!! Odds on that;)

Magicme
15/01/2011, 12:07 AM
And which one of Fabio and Barrett is going to replace Brian Gartland at centre half?? :ball:

He aint gone yet.

You never were gone on him in the first place if memory serves. We'll see anyway I don't doubt ye'll have a pretty decent side anyway. I get what you're saying about players knowing they'll get paid too it's helped us get everybody we wanted to sign up again.

Yup. He has never been my favourite Mon.

MagicMe.............. Fabio to be sent off in the game immediately preceding your game V Drogs !!!! Odds on that;)

That would probably be a wise move for him alright! :D Poor guy!

nosebleds
15/01/2011, 12:22 AM
lads don,t overlook drogs

bullit
15/01/2011, 12:52 AM
lads don,t overlook drogs
Your right,they have an imposing squad!!
Funny thing is a poster on their forum says pre-season training starts there tomorrow :confused:

Battery Rover
15/01/2011, 6:20 PM

Fabio already suspended for the first three league games as a result of a red at the end of last season.

Darkglasses
15/01/2011, 6:42 PM
Do the Youths still have Dempsey and Furlong for next season? They scored a few goals for you last season. It will be difficult for you to replace Sheahan though I think.

Yeah they were surely our 2nd and 3rd highest scorers last season! Yes they're both definitely staying, they were both planning to go to America with scholarships but changed their minds about it. *relief*

I'm hoping Furlong and another one of our local youngsters, Robert Dempsey, make an improvement on last year as strikers to make up for our lack of Sheahano. If they do, I'm not really concerned at all. If not, then I hope to God one of our incoming players is a striker! I'd say any/all incoming signings will be announced tomorrow at the first training session...

Lim till i die
15/01/2011, 6:52 PM
Did Anthony Wolfe play much for ye last year?

outspoken
15/01/2011, 7:00 PM
25-1 is good enough value 4 the town alot of optimistic players and fans think we could be up there for promotion but I think we will just have a steady season and finish around 6th

Lim till i die
15/01/2011, 7:12 PM
Don't bother with the bookies, if Longford Town finish in the top three I will personally give every Longford fan on here 25 quid.

Progress appears to be being made alright but tis a season too early for ye I reckon. :)

Darkglasses
15/01/2011, 8:34 PM
Did Anthony Wolfe play much for ye last year?

Yep, every game he was fit for. Brilliant player, our most consistent man along with Packie Holden. Played mostly at full back but for a couple of games towards the end of the season he played centre mid, I thought he looked even better there.

sheao
15/01/2011, 9:37 PM
Those odds seem just about correct . Ourselves, Shels, Limerick and Waterford will be the main contenders for promotion imo .

bluewhitearmy
16/01/2011, 11:13 AM
Dont know why people think we will challenge we have gotten no stronger then last season when we weren't good enough if anything we look a small bit weaker.

Sam_Heggy
16/01/2011, 11:21 AM
Dont know why people think we will challenge we have gotten no stronger then last season when we weren't good enough if anything we look a small bit weaker.

Gary Sheehan, Stephen O'Flynn and Peter Hynes as choices up front are most certainly stronger than ye had last term.
In Barry Ryan ye have a fine keeper and if ye have kept hold of the majority of last seasons defence and midfield then I would safely say ye will be a good bit stronger.

bluewhitearmy
16/01/2011, 11:35 AM
Gary Sheehan, Stephen O'Flynn and Peter Hynes as choices up front are most certainly stronger than ye had last term.
In Barry Ryan ye have a fine keeper and if ye have kept hold of the majority of last seasons defence and midfield then I would safely say ye will be a good bit stronger.

Gary is replacing John Tierney and is not as good as John who was probably our best payer last year. Hynes is nothing special from anytime i have seen him or any fan of a club i have talked to that he has played with.

We have not kept hold of the majority of Defence or Midfield only defender we have so far that played regularly last year is Paddy Purcell. Also lost Bobby Ryan,John Sullivan , Tim Kiely and most likely Thomas Lyons from midfield.

Need another 4 good signings to be anywhere near imo.

Lim till i die
16/01/2011, 5:06 PM
General consensus so far is we have stood still (at best) while Shels, Waterford and Foras have improved a lot.

I wouldn't be certain that Barry Ryan would start in goals either.

razor
17/01/2011, 8:31 AM
I'd be of the same opinion about us to be honest, we are slightly stronger with Danny Murphy signing but I still reckon we fall short promotion wise, I guess we won't know til the season gets going.