PDA

View Full Version : City turn down Gazza

ThaddyQuill
22/05/2004, 10:11 AM
An agent of Paul Gascoigne got in contact with the club but Lennox thought it would be too risky and too costly. Lennox also mentioned the fact that he played for Rangers before. Apparently he was willing to sign on a per game basis. The club did seem to consider it but probably made the right choice.

GavinZac
22/05/2004, 10:17 AM
probably not true but he might have exerted more energy than neil fenn if he was on a game-by-game contract ;)

Neil
22/05/2004, 12:14 PM
No lads this is true. It's on the back of todays Echo or here is abit of it:

City chairman Brian Lennox told the Evening Echo "There was a phone call from Paul Gascoigne's agent but to be honest we thought better of it. It would have been too risky and too costly and we decided against it. It would probably have been more trouble than its worth and alot of our fans are Celtic supporters and have long memories".

Read more at www.corkcityfooie.com

Aside from the fact that he's ****!

adamcarr
22/05/2004, 12:52 PM
Finally some sense! The guy is fat and cant play football living on some glorious memories! :rolleyes:

eoinh
22/05/2004, 1:42 PM
i cant believe that they even entertained the idea of employing him. i thought we had put those days behind us.

Gascoigne failed at his last club - a second division chinese team

ccfc till i die
22/05/2004, 3:26 PM
I'd say with the sales of tickets he would have created he probably would have paid for himself.

Having said that he is a fat, wife beating blimp.

patsh
22/05/2004, 4:31 PM
I don't understand the excuse Lennox gave. Why even mention Celtic or him playing for Rangers?
Why didn't he just say that the eL, and Cork City especially, are way beyond the days of this kind of novelty act, and City don't entertain that kind of pathetic stunt anymore.
Of course Spillage covers it like it would be a major coup and a great thing for City.... :rolleyes:

tiktok
22/05/2004, 5:55 PM
I don't understand the excuse Lennox gave. Why even mention Celtic or him playing for Rangers?
Why didn't he just say that the eL, and Cork City especially, are way beyond the days of this kind of novelty act, and City don't entertain that kind of pathetic stunt anymore.

agree completely. it's **** all to do with Rangers and Celtic, he's not at the required standards. although he's no longer fat ;)

Storysham
22/05/2004, 8:24 PM
hee hee, had to put this on the proc, cant put pics on here nad imagestation is broke

http://www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/%7Epeoplesr/forums/showthread.php?p=89130#post89130

Colm
22/05/2004, 8:53 PM

Yeah I was thinking the same. I couldn't give a sh!t who he played for in the past (especially irrelevant Scottish clubs!) if he was good enough and was an asset to our club. His signing would generate great publicity but as you say we've moved on from the days of these stunts.
As for the people who said he can't play football.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Gazza was the best English footballer about ten years ago. Incidentally, I saw him playing for an England XI in Martin Keown's testamonial last week and he still showed glimpses of brilliance. He could be an asset to us but he's probably a little too old and he wouldn't be worth the kind of money we'd have to pay him. I'm happier having Georgie.

Gary
22/05/2004, 9:04 PM
TBH, i had forgotten all about that "incident" years ago.

Gazza was a class player, whose skill, even at his age, would probaly be an asset to City, but as Colm said above, the money would be ridiculous, and I think it would break us. There would be a whole load of publicity at the start, but would Gascoigne even be bothered? I honestly doubt it somehow.

At least a player of his stature, a well known figure etc would join us. As ive said many times before everyone wanst to play for City...........EVERYONE !!!

eoinh
23/05/2004, 9:35 AM
Of course Spillage covers it like it would be a major coup and a great thing for City.... :rolleyes:

Gascoigne was a good player but hes way past it. These kind of novelty signings was one of the reasons why LOI football was dragged down into into the gutter and never recovered in the general publics eye. If we had signed him we would have been laughed at.

Gary

At least a player of his stature, a well known figure etc would join us. As ive said many times before everyone wanst to play for City...........EVERYONE !!!

Unfortunaltely Gary, Gascoigne has been trying to hawk himself around the world the last year. I have been following the story in World Soccer - it makes for sad reading. Hes not managed to stay anywhere for long or play to any type of decent standard. Let us not go back to the Terry Mcdermott days where old fat men come over to play for us on match days, contribute nothing and fly back home after each match.

Whats more disaturbing is as Colm points out that he played for Rangers? who cares? Are some city fans not going to welcome a plyer because he played for a certain club? So we wont sign any Hearts players?
do we have a list of these teams? Are some city fans so tied up in foreign footballl that they wont welcome certain signings simply because they palyed for certain teams?

Will City "fans" who "support" norwich not turn up if we sign "ipswich" players? Give us a break!
In my mind it also has certain moral ramifications and it must break certain employment laws.
Is Cork City what Rangers of glasgow were in the '50's.
Maybe Lennox would like to publish a list of clubs that we wont sign players from.

GavinZac
23/05/2004, 10:02 AM
well i was going to give an image link as to why celtic fans might not be delighted we'd signed him, but amazingly the global interweb has left me down the picture is no where to be found, on google at least.

he might have played for rangers, i domt think there'd be a problem with that, it would have been the whole piper sectarian taunt at the celtic fan s, who, like it or not, included a few irishmen.

and remember who's doing the reporting, spillane with his penchant for selective memory. lennox probably hardly mentioned this at all.

Counting Crow
23/05/2004, 10:28 AM
Lads, there is one, and only one, real reason why we had no interest in Gazza and that was he is so far past it is isn't funny.

Did anyone watch the Martin Keown Testimonial last Monday. Gazza played for the first half and looked like an Inter Pub player that would have been out of his league at the lower end of the Night Owls league.

Bloated - red faced - out of breath and ....... slow.

I think it would have been insulting to our squad ( with their dedication and fitness levels ....... and belief in City ) if he had come on board ..... particularly if it was on a match by match basis.

Who would he have replaced ...... Colin O'Brien - Nawankwo - or.........God forbid......George.

Forget Celtic and all that.
Well done Lennox for making the right decision. We have had enough mercenaries in Cork over the years ( Charlton, Hurst, Best, etc etc ) - we've gone well beyond this and have our own heroes ( see Colin, Nawankwo and George above and add in Flynny, Doyler, Fenn, The Cockney Rebel etc etc etc )

Gazza, is resigned to memories and should not be resurected - particularly not the Biggest Club in Ireland
Roll on Waaaaaaaaaterfeeeeeeeerd on Friday night.

eoinh
23/05/2004, 10:44 AM
I think it would have been insulting to our squad ( with their dedication and fitness levels ....... and belief in City ) if he had come on board ..... particularly if it was on a match by match basis.

Who would he have replaced ...... Colin O'Brien - Nawankwo - or.........God forbid......George.

Correct, spot on. Not only insulting to city but to the league in general as well.

DolansWaistcoat
23/05/2004, 1:12 PM
Gazza was one of the best players that england ever had but that was about 8 years ago now and the man has been all over the place since then,still I would have loved to have seen him in the flesh and surely his performances would have added something to some of the rubbish city have played this season especially at the cross,the buzz around the town would have been brilliant if we choose to forget about all the celtic fans Lennox is on about.If it was a money thing that stopped the move going through then fair enough why should we have to pay big bucks to a fella who hasn't played anything near top football the last 4 or 5 yeras but to bring the rangers thing into it was stupid by Lennox imo.

derm
24/05/2004, 10:00 AM

Diplomacy I'd imagine - he can't just say that "we don't want him 'cos he's ****". Of course, we on the other hand can ... ;)

drinkfeckarse
24/05/2004, 10:08 AM

Having said that he is a fat, wife beating blimp.

That's bang out of order that........ he's lost a load of weight recently :D :D

Dricky
24/05/2004, 11:51 AM
I think he was here to learn a few things of George before going to China.

He has too many demons to fight at present to be any benifit to the club.

So the amount of money he would of brought in would no way cover the cost in keeping him going, what do we do take him for a year and then dump him. the poor guy deseves more than that he is in such a bad state. There was a programe on a few months back which showed him in China and my god he was down. He was like a boy lost at the train station.

Think it would be a bad choice to sign him, not his fault really that he is where he is but Cork City are building up a team to win the EL, lets do that and gain the attention we deserve not because some Gazza joins or a 37year old want an easy penny.

eoinh
24/05/2004, 12:04 PM
I think he was here to learn a few things of George before going to China.

He has too many demons to fight at present to be any benifit to the club.

So the amount of money he would of brought in would no way cover the cost in keeping him going, what do we do take him for a year and then dump him. the poor guy deseves more than that he is in such a bad state. There was a programe on a few months back which showed him in China and my god he was down. He was like a boy lost at the train station.

Think it would be a bad choice to sign him, not his fault really that he is where he is but Cork City are building up a team to win the EL, lets do that and gain the attention we deserve not because some Gazza joins or a 37year old want an easy penny.

No 37 year old no matter who he is should be signed.

eoinh
24/05/2004, 12:15 PM
It would be bad publicity and help the League to become a laughing stock. No doubt it would hinder our chances on the field of play as well. these type of signings never work. we nearly get capacity attendances anyway so any extra revenue would be more than lost in paying him extra wages to do nothing.

A face
24/05/2004, 12:23 PM
It would be bad publicity and help the League to become a laughing stock. No doubt it would hinder our chances on the field of play as well. these type of signings never work. we nearly get capacity attendances anyway so any extra revenue would be more than lost in paying him extra wages to do nothing.

Great post .... !! in a nutshell !!

Peadar
24/05/2004, 12:29 PM
Aside from the fact that he's ****!

Exactly!
End of conversation.
Patsy Freyne would be a better signing.

eoinh
24/05/2004, 12:38 PM
The guy is a living legend.

Unfortunately, barely living

A face
24/05/2004, 1:07 PM
Unfortunately, barely living

:D

Éanna
24/05/2004, 4:10 PM
agreed. who cares who he played for. if he was good enough and thedeal was good for City I'd be all in favour of it, but we're better than signing overweight former internationals- Liam O'Brien was evidence of that

jofyisgod
24/05/2004, 5:53 PM
To be fair, the guy's bad news. I have nothing against him as a person, and he is a legend, but do we need him? People give out about Fenn, by i'd say if Fenn was spelt differently, say GASCOIGNE, people would turn a blind eye.
We don't need the rest of the lads carrying a 'legend.'

tiktok
25/05/2004, 8:53 AM
'questioned '

There's a file with the scottish procurator's office but it's not even been decided yet that there's a case to answer, innocent until etc......

hardly a balance between him and a self confessed wife beater

tiktok
25/05/2004, 9:04 AM
Was Gazza convicted?

what i said was

self confessed

come on Conor, if/when Agathe admits to it (or is convicted) i'll agree that it's balanced, but for now it just looks like you're having a go off a Celtic player for the sake of it.
the one constant in this thread has been that the Celtic/Rangers rubbish has no place in a debate on whether or not Gazza should have joined CCFC. Let's try and keep it that way.

tiktok
25/05/2004, 10:09 AM
Or one to the Mirror for an extremely large cash payment, accompanied by photos of him in tears and the usual 'I regretted it' stuff?

if the mirror wants to reward him for being a scumbag, that's up to them. It doesn't make the confession untrue, I doubt anybody would out themselves as a wifebeater to a newspaper if it wasn't true. his wife didn't press charges, but that doesn't change the fact that he admits he did it.

as i said, if agathe reaches that stage, then it's balanced

look Conor, you brought the celtic player into it, and all i was doing was trying to stop another thread getting hijacked by the celtic/rangers nonsense that's creeping in all over the shop on here, but in the end i've only added to it heading in that direction. to be honest i don't care about Gazza or Agathe, so i'll quietly back down

can we agree that we're happy his five bellies won't be in a city shirt ;)

BOF
25/05/2004, 10:27 AM
I have to dissagree, I'd love to see Gazza play for City even if it was only for one game........The guy is a living legend.

Living legend?? He is a circus act.

brendan

Roo69
25/05/2004, 10:43 AM
No 37 year old no matter who he is should be signed.

What about Zola ? Still doing the business week in week out ! If ya could afford him dont tell me you would turn him down for a season or two ?!?!?!

thecorner
25/05/2004, 10:55 AM
What about Zola ? Still doing the business week in week out !

to quote yourself

still doing the business

there is the difference

Roo69
25/05/2004, 11:07 AM
to quote yourself

still doing the business

there is the difference

Yes, thats what i said, but.....this was the orignal quote "No 37 year old no matter who he is should be signed" that means he shouldnt be signed because of his age, well thats how i read it anyway ?

but Cork are dead right no matter waht not to sign Gazza. Personally i think Gazza is a likeable person, he's just a DOPE ! and has made so many mistakes throughout his career ! moving to London was the beginging of the end for him ! if he had of signed for United ahead of Spurs things would have been different for Gazza

patsh
26/05/2004, 4:58 PM
In the interests of balance we should also point out that Celtic player Didier Agathe was recently questioned in relation to a domestic incident that left his partner with injuries...
This has got to be one of the most ridiculous posts ever on this forum, Conor.
What has Agathe got to do with this thread?
What balance are you talking about?
:rolleyes:

patsh
26/05/2004, 6:57 PM
To go back on it, someone posted about Gazza being a wife beater. Standard bog issue Celtic fan jibe about Gazza, go on any Celtic board and search under his name. What Sheryl Gascoigne may have gone through is seen as suitable for banter on a football site.

Just was concerned that the usual 'Celtic players are angels, Rangers players are demons' point was trying to be made and pointed out that a Celtic player had been recently arrested a questioned in relation to an incident where his partner got injuries in a domestic dispute. As Titktok (I think) pointed out, that matter is still under review.
So your "balance" was to have a cheap shot at some Celtic player, because Celtic fans have cheap shots at (ex) Rangers players? Well if you can't beat them, join them I suppose... :rolleyes:

eoinh
27/05/2004, 5:30 PM
Gascoignes moved on. He has his heart set on some other club (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/league_of_wales/3754957.stm) now thank god. :)

Roo69
28/05/2004, 10:09 AM
Paul Gascoigne has been offered £5,000 a match by Welsh side Rhyl to play in the Champions League qualifiers.

Are they mad in the head or what ?!?!?!?!?! :eek:

tiktok
28/05/2004, 10:56 AM
If he brings in 501 people more at £10 per head, then he pays for himself.
I Guess that's how they're looking at it, don't know if they get many ay games, I doubt it though.

But yes, Mad in the head :D