PDA

View Full Version : Breen to quit Irish squad ?

Condex
22/05/2004, 8:30 AM
<b>From Todays Irish Independent</B>

THE ramifications of Sunderland's agonising play-off defeat at the hands of Crystal Palace on Monday could have wider implications than the job-shedding which affected a raft of Irish players yesterday.

Speculation was rife on Wearside last night that Gary Breen's response to the demoralising defeat has been such that he is contemplating a shock retirement from international football.

Breen had apparently already indicated to the Irish management that he does not want to be considered for the forthcoming friendly internationals. And it now appears that the 30-year-old, who last appeared in a green shirt on the night Ireland's Euro 2004 hopes died in Basel last October, may opt to concentrate solely on his club career.

It is not clear whether Breen's decision has been influenced by the return to the international fold of Roy Keane - the Sunderland player would have been among those most sceptical about that development.

Injury ruled Breen out of Ireland's international programme since Basel and in that time Andy O'Brien has established himself as a realistic alternative at the heart of the defence alongside Kenny Cunnigham. However, his retirement would still be a huge blow to Ireland.

Breen was Mick McCarthy's most capped player and the pair have rekindled their professional relationship since Breen joined the Black Cats last summer.

Meanwhile, McCarthy pulled the trigger on Jason McAteer's Sunderland career yesterday, discarding with one stroke his skipper and the famed sentiment which had bonded the pair with club and country.

Phil Babb also received his cards - as did Kilkenny-born striker Michael Reddy and Sligo's Mark Rossiter, who had bravely fought to recover from cruciate ligament damage.

Joachim Bjorklund and Paul Thirlwell were among the eight players released by McCarthy - and there's the threat of more to come.

Richie Ryan is one of several players whose future will be decided on whether they are prepared to accept Sunderland's final offer of a new deal. Ryan is currently in Belgium with Ireland's U-19s.

Sunderland chairman Bob Murray said: "Mick has taken these decisions and there will certainly be more changes to come, so that we can mount a challenge to achieve Premiership status by the end of next season.

"The number of players who are out of contract gives Mick the opportunity to determine the squad that starts pre-season training, unlike last year when he inherited a very difficult situation with a big squad many of which were to leave, which he managed amazingly.

"The club is spurred on by the achievements of Mick and the players in reaching the FA Cup semi-final and third place in Division One and it is up to everyone at the club to do their utmost to ensure that next season is successful."

McAteer and Babb join fellow Irish internationals Mark Kinsella (WBA), Alan Quinn (Sheffield Wednesday), Gareth Farrelly (Wigan) and Barry Quinn (Coventry City) as victims of end of season job cuts.

MARK KENNEDY (groin), Steven Reid (toe) and Rory Delap yesterday joined the growing list of withdrawals from Ireland's squad for the forthcoming internationals.

DARLINGTON striker Barry Conlon is set to snub Bristol Rovers to join Second Division Barnsley. Former U-21 international Danny Boxall's move to Watford has broken down, while Ian Simpemba is mulling over a new deal with Wycombe.

ST PATRICK'S ATHLETIC chairman Andy O'Callaghan has revealed that the club have received 42 applications for the vacant managerial post. And former Carlisle and Bohemians boss Roddy Collins indicated that he is planning to become the 43rd.

David Kelly

gustavo
22/05/2004, 10:58 AM
i hope breen doesnt quit as he gfive valuable experience at the back i know he is much maligned here but i feel he has probably been one of our most consistent players over the last three years and has plenty of life left in him yet !

only1kilbane
22/05/2004, 11:19 AM
Will be really dissapointed if breeno quits but it seems to be the thing to do these days but its a frightening slide the way people quit there country so easily. To me it would be the greatest feeling ever playing for your country and should be something that is cherished. He has had an excellent season for sunderland and would be sorely missed as he has been one of our most consistent performers ..

adamcarr
22/05/2004, 1:36 PM
FAI statement - 22 May 2004

There is no truth in today's suggestion that Gary Breen is considering retirement from international football.

Gary has had a difficult time with injuries this season that has forced to miss games at club and international level.

He has, however, been in regular contact with Brian Kerr to continue his desire to play in games when fully fit.

tricky_colour
23/05/2004, 12:45 AM
Well as I hope it's not true as the last poster reports.
He will have competition ftom Andy O'Brien anyway.

John O'Shea seems to be developing nicely at Man U judging
by recent perfromances, I hope the same will be true at
international level.

I must just mention that I had £210 on Man U to win the FA cup
today at 1-3 (best price I could get at was at Ladbrokes).

The £70 I won will make up for the £50 I lost on their (Ladbroke's)
fixed (in my opinion) video roulette machine.

I must say that as half-time appoached and the score was still 0-0
I was becoming slightly worried to say the least :eek:

Anyway the first goal was a great relief, the second meant I could
enjoy the match, and the third, well that was game over and £70
in the bank :D

'tis a shame Ronaldo isn't Irish though. :p

I also get a £20 free bet for opening up the account
so any suggestions for what bet to place?

I might just back both horses in a two horse race so I get 80-90%
of the £20 whatever happens.
If I choose the right event I might get 98% of the £20 buy picking
best prices from the bookmakers, some 'best price' 'over rounded'
are very good such as 105% or better.

Opps I have drifted some what off topic, but forgive me as that was by
far the biggest bet of my life!! (the previous largest was £50 on a odds-on
horse, which lost :( )

petef
24/05/2004, 8:00 AM
I had Ronaldo as Man of The Match, absolute disgrace he didnt get it, all I can say is that dont bet on Man of The Match as its obviously fixed.

Condex
24/05/2004, 9:57 AM
I bet £100 on a Celtic , Man Utd double the odd were pretty rubbish with Victor Chandler but I won £50.

Slash/ED
24/05/2004, 11:35 AM
I had Ronaldo as Man of The Match, absolute disgrace he didnt get it, all I can say is that dont bet on Man of The Match as its obviously fixed.

Giving it to Van Nistelrooy was an absolute farce, he must have touched the ball twice :D

a penalty and an open goal is suddenly better than terrorising a full back for 90 minutes and getting a good headed goal? What rubbish.

parnell ranger
24/05/2004, 1:45 PM
pick a 5/1 horse in an 8 runner field,back him each way and get evens for being placed.if ure lucky he might even win. :D

tricky_colour
24/05/2004, 3:43 PM

He won MOTM by a mile on the official Man U site.

Obviously such bets are open to abuse.

Almost as bad a horseracing (but not quite that bad).