PDA

View Full Version : City 1-0 Longford

SSS
21/05/2004, 9:26 PM
Same team as last week except Greg in for Lordan.
Not as exciting a game as the Shams one but some superb passing play by City in parts.
Fenn scuffed a great chance after about 10 seconds after a deft flick by George.
George was absolutely brilliant (again).
Fenn was poor and taken off (although probably for an injury)
George went up front with Flynny then and there were glimpses of last season and the year before.
Nwanko played exceptionally well but faded before being subbed. Got a great send off.
Flynn still not fit, but great goal.

Linesman in front of Donie Forde... :confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes:

Called George offisde when three Longford defenders played him on. Crowd went mental on that one. Not his only bad call.

Danny got injured in last min but was able to jog off.

Nice three points, but could have lost it - Longford had some great chances in the first half (including off the bar from a couple of yards).

yan
21/05/2004, 9:46 PM
the way i seen it was that longford completly outplayed city in the first half but we were well better in the second half,

delighted to see johnny and george up front again,they both looked alot happier and raised there game again,looked alot more threatening with johnny and george up front,i for one hope they start together down in waterford next,

superb finish by flynny for the goal, devine made some outstanding saves from a free kick and a looping shot in the second half

fair play to digger again this season-well up for laugh with the shed

common on city

sing together:

johnny and george,
the best in the world,
johnny and george,
the best in the world......

not sure wat the tune is called

adamcarr
21/05/2004, 9:51 PM
Digger was a great laugh alright! Fenn played poor but that would be it! Continue this form ans maybe we can leave the RSC the same way they left the X! :cool:

goc&jof
21/05/2004, 10:26 PM
come on lads you have to admitt the game got really exciting when george and flynny were up front.........i think pat behaviour is shocking..... he knows that flynny and george should be up front but yet he is still trying to fit in fenn.... what do ye think?

univibe
21/05/2004, 10:28 PM
good result, the subsitution of fenn was the turning point, george and flynny are the best up front, greg had a solid game, important win in a game that culd have gone either way :)

adamcarr
21/05/2004, 10:39 PM
One of the best parts of the game was when Colin did a great tackle to disposess that (bit*h, whore, slapper, slut etc...) Dessie Baker! :) :p

thecorner
22/05/2004, 12:18 AM
IMO opinion(not as agreg hater) but he made a lot of mistakes in 1st half, he mite have got out of it but turning in2 a liability

Schunter Netz
22/05/2004, 12:26 AM
The monkey men in the Donie Forde went apespit about George being flagged offside, alright. Boy, do they love to abuse a linesman - must be something to do with sitting duck vulnerable targets, so god help their wives and kids. The reality, of course, is that George was coming back from offside and expected O'Flynn to take the ball, but Johnno was minding his shiny boots and looking around for tackles, so by the time George played the ball it looked like he was about thirty yards onside! Righteous mayhem ensues in the stand!! What a bunch of moaning, football-ignorant losers. My favoutite quote of the evening - "getting nowhere, with all their fancy bloody football". As an aside, O'Flynn was being very careful with himself tonight - not sprinting, not tackling, playing it safe and cagey - so now we have two centre forwards who don't get involved. The sooner Kevin Doyle gets back the better.

thecorner
22/05/2004, 12:37 AM
As an aside, O'Flynn was being very careful with himself tonight - not sprinting, not tackling, playing it safe and cagey - so now we have two centre forwards who don't get involved. The sooner Kevin Doyle gets back the better.
thats bull****, flynny had a great game tonite

patsh
22/05/2004, 9:46 AM
O'Flynn strike extends Cork's unbeaten run

Cork City - 1 Longford Town - 0: John O'Flynn scored the second-half goal that ensured Cork's unbeaten run in the league was stretched to six and brought to an end Longford's unbeaten record away from home this season.

Cork, neat and constructive in midfield, deserved their win, even if they lived dangerously at times. Longford looked threatening in breakaway attacks in the first half, favouring a more direct style than Cork, but they wasted their scoring chances.

Paul Keegan was surprisingly hesitant in the eighth minute when he found himself free after a long clearance by Alan Murphy, and he delayed long enough to allow goalkeeper Michael Devine smother his shot.

Dessie Baker forced Devine to produce a good save from a 35-yard free after 22 minutes and Darragh Sheridan held his head in disappointment when he turned a corner from Baker against an upright.

Longford spurned yet another chance after 35 minutes when Alan Kirby shot straight at Devine when he looked certain to score.

Cork had missed a glorious chance within 30 seconds of the kick-off. A quick throw from the left by Michael Nwankwo was touched on by George O'Callaghan for Neale Fenn, but from inside the six yard box, he somehow miscued his shot wide.

Longford again went close soon after half-time, when Devine had to produce a fine save to deny substitute Shane Barrett.

Devine looked to have been wrong-footed when Barrett's shot from 15 yards was deflected off Greg O'Halloran but the goalkeeper showed great athleticism as he turned the ball over the crossbar.

Cork were much more effective in the second half, particularly after Brendan Sweeney came into midfield to allow O'Callaghan to take a more forward role alongside O'Flynn, renewing a partnership that had not figured since O'Flynn suffered a serious injury in September of last year.

With O'Flynn growing in strength as the game progressed, Cork had a verve to their play that had earlier been lacking.

They produced a memorable winning goal after O'Callaghan linked with Colin O'Brien on the half-way line. O'Brien, whose recent form has been outstanding, split the Longford defence with a pass that released O'Flynn and in typical fashion he powered a volley from 15 yards across Stephen O'Brien.

CORK CITY: Devine; O'Halloran, Bennett, Murray, Murphy (Byrne 90 mins); Woods, O'Brien, O'Callaghan, Nwankwo (Kearney 79); Fenn (Sweeney 63), O' Callaghan.

LONGFORD TOWN: O'Brien; Murphy, Ferguson, Dillon, Prunty; Martin, Kirby, Keogh (Perth 79 mins), Sheridan (Barrett 46); Keegan (Lavine 88), Baker.

Referee: P McKeon (Dublin).

© The Irish Times

Enda M
22/05/2004, 6:29 PM
yet another fantastic result for longford town.five or six excellent chance and we didnt take one same old story........ :mad:

thecorner
22/05/2004, 6:35 PM
With the exception of the Goal flynny laboured through the game

would love to know which game you were watching :rolleyes:

Gary
22/05/2004, 8:13 PM
****íng wánkers. While Fenn didnt plat great last night, he certainly wasnt crap. He played good, some nice touches etc. He has nothing to prove to you asshóles.

Now, in a complete 180, i believe that George should replace Fenn up front. Once he went up there, he was outstanding.. Perhaps Fenn can do a job in midfield?

Colin O Brien. We have being saying we need steel in the middle. Well lets look no further. Lived up to the name of Colin TERRIFIC o Brien last night.

Flynny. Almost back to his lethal best. Anyone who thought he was poor, or was lazy last night is an idiot.

Bennet was a rock in the centre of defence (yet Spillane gives him 6/10). He comfortably looked after any problems, in a calm and footballing fashion.

Bad game, City could have been 4 down by HT, but the 2nd half performance was brilliant, and lets be fair, 3 points are 3 points.

SÓC
22/05/2004, 8:27 PM
Bennet was a rock in the centre of defence (yet Spillane gives him 6/10). He comfortably looked after any problems, in a calm and footballing fashion.

I donno I think 6 was a fair rating for Benno. I wouldnt say he was a rock, for a player of his passing ability he should be finding his man more often.

Gary
22/05/2004, 8:42 PM
He found his man every time. Every high ball, he dealt with and he passed the ball out of defence very capably.

Aside from scoring, he couldnt have done much more last night.

Colm
22/05/2004, 9:07 PM
****íng wánkers. While Fenn didnt plat great last night, he certainly wasnt crap. He played good, some nice touches etc. He has nothing to prove to you asshóles.

Spot on.
I think Fenn is getting an awful raw deal from some people. He's not really been doing anything wrong and if you watch him closely most of his touchs are magnificent and he also reads the game so well.
In the jacks at half time last night nearly everyone was giving out about Fenn.... apparantly "he's not even related to a footballer", "they're paying him too much" and "he's nothing but a sh!t overpaid waster". I had to excercise great restraint!
Give the guy a break.

btw, I would also be in favour of swapping him and Georgie. Having Flynny and Georgie up front is magic and I believe Fenn would make an outstanding attacking midfielder.

adamcarr
22/05/2004, 9:57 PM
I would like to see Fenn in midfield just to see how he does! And Benno was brilliant last night nothing got past him, great tackles and won the balls in the air! 6/10 more like 9/10 :rolleyes:

patsh
23/05/2004, 11:25 AM
Gary, Colm, do you not think that there is a reason why so many people are giving out about Fenn?
Georgie is just as skillful as Fenn, yet does a lot more work and actually makes tackles.
IfGeorgie can do it, why can't Fenn?
My own theory is that Gerogie really cares, about City and doing his best, while I think Fenn is there to get his money. He NEVER tackles, tracks back ar works hard. Don't give me "he is not that type of player and thats not what he is there for" rubbish. Maradonna, Pele, Beckenbauer were the most skillful players ever, yet they tackled and worked for the team as much as anyone else.
Fenn needs to get stuck in and do a lot more than a few flicks and tricks in a game.

DolansWaistcoat
23/05/2004, 1:27 PM
Fenn is taking a fair bit of stick already but I think that is because a lot of ppl want to see Flynny and Georgie together up front and we all saw the improvement in our play when our two star men linked up together after Fenn went off.Its too early to write off Fenn yet though give him a chance and he will do the business i've no doubt about it.Doyler took half a season last year to find his best form but during the second part of the season he was brilliant and that form has continued this year and now Doyle is everyones new favourite player.

SSS
23/05/2004, 3:35 PM
I would like to see Fenn in midfield just to see how he does!

Fenn played a deeper role against Waterford if memory serves.
To no great effect

With Fenn's workrate, teams would run rings around City in midfield.

Soko
23/05/2004, 5:33 PM
Are city a better side with George or Fenn up front? IMO it has to be George but because we payed so much money for Fenn, Dolan seems intent on playing him to justify his purchase.

GavinZac
23/05/2004, 5:49 PM
we paid no money for fenn, and he's on less money than george or john.

adamcarr
23/05/2004, 5:52 PM
we paid no money for fenn, and he's on less money than george or john.
Good!!! :)

tiktok
23/05/2004, 7:33 PM
He NEVER tackles, tracks back ar works hard.

In fairness, that's a load of bo!!ocks.

I've seen him get stuck in and track back in every game I've seen this season.

We play two upfront, Fenn (who shows for the ball and looks to create) and Doyler/O'Flynn (do a lot of off the ball running, drag defenders away to give room, try to get in the box for what's created).

Christ, City fans have to be complaining about someone, we're fcuking pathetic in that regard, and since we're on a good run at the moment we get,

"Fenn doesn't run as much as Doyler, lazy pr!ck, only here for the cash, makes 3000yoyo a week you know, he buys arsenic with it, sprinkles it on cakes and leaves them outside schoolyards, think he sells arms to terrorists too" :rolleyes:

We really do look for the cloud behind every silver lining don't we :(

patsh
23/05/2004, 7:40 PM
In fairness, that's a load of bo!!ocks.

I've seen him get stuck in and track back in every game I've seen this season.

We play two upfront, Fenn (who shows for the ball and looks to create) and Doyler/O'Flynn (do a lot of off the ball running, drag defenders away to give room, try to get in the box for what's created).

Christ, City fans have to be complaining about someone, we're fcuking pathetic in that regard, and since we're on a good run at the moment we get,

We really do look for the cloud behind every silver lining don't we :(
To quote yourself, that's a load of bo!!ocks.
I'm not looking to complain about anything or look for clouds.
Fenn does not work hard in games, he does not tackle and he does not put in as much effort as any other player.
If you actually think he is making an effort, one of us is blind.

Pablo
23/05/2004, 7:48 PM
To quote yourself, that's a load of bo!!ocks.
I'm not looking to complain about anything or look for clouds.
Fenn does not work hard in games, he does not tackle and he does not put in as much effort as any other player.

has to be john ang george up front friday they have a telepathic understandind. they play so well off each other. time for Fenn to drop deep. if he works a bit harder he'll find his place

tiktok
23/05/2004, 7:49 PM

I think he's doing a really good job for us.
I don't think I'm blind, maybe some of us are just selectively closing our eyes. :eek:

patsh
23/05/2004, 7:54 PM
I think he's doing a really good job for us.
I don't think I'm blind, maybe some of us are just selectively closing our eyes. :eek:
Thats your opinion, and it doesn't tally with mine.
I can see what I can see.

A face
23/05/2004, 8:09 PM
"Fenn doesn't run as much as Doyler, lazy pr!ck, only here for the cash, makes 3000yoyo a week you know, he buys arsenic with it, sprinkles it on cakes and leaves them outside schoolyards, think he sells arms to terrorists too"

Jebus ... has anyone mailed the club about all of this ? How long have you known this ? Arsenic cakes you say ..... are they similar to the blahs in Whatuuuurford, might explain alot there !!

€3000 ... oh my gawd !! I cant believe it ..... can someone stop this madness !! Can someone make this bad man go away !! :eek:

;)

razor
24/05/2004, 8:06 AM
We were extremely poor in the 1st half and were very lucky to be going in level at half time.
In fairness to Mick Devine while he may be having a poor season so far, he made 2 world class saves last night to keep us in the game.
I think some people are missing the point here in saying the change in the game only came when John and George were partnered again up front.
This also coincided with the addition of Sweeney to the midfield and this I think had more of an effect on the game.We had more of the ball and then were able to feed the front two who did very well to win a game that seemed lost to us before the change.
Fair Play to Dolan for making the change as early as he did to give the team some time to adjust to a different formation.
While CT looked busy and won a few tackles, I don't think he is the man for the centre of midfield. Doesn't do enough over the 90 mins.

John O'Flynn is not fit but when he went down early in the 2nd half I thought that was it, he was being very careful, not sprinting, not tackling, basically not being involved. Though he finished well, he ain't right. It makes me uneasy every time he gets tackled or jumps for a ball that he could get injured again and from his body language the other night he is too.
Now maybe its a confidence thing and if so then his goal will have helped him no ends.
George was excellent, but one of the things that irritates me about him is that when he loses the ball he starts going in late with sneaky kicks, elbows and the like instead of holding the head. No need for this and runs the risk of getting himself sent off every time.

I know this post may sound a bit negative but to end off on a positive note, we got the 3 points and really thats all that matters really.
We played better the previous week against Rovers and only got a point but this week we ground out the result and its good to see we can do that.

Heres to Waterford next week, i'd love it if we beat them, love it !!!!

NorthoftheLee
24/05/2004, 8:59 AM
While CT looked busy and won a few tackles, I don't think he is the man for the centre of midfield. Doesn't do enough over the 90 mins.
!

are you mad man???? Colin has been one of our best players this season and has been excellent over the last 4-5 games..thought he was great on Friday night. Tackling, passing, controlling the play at times....what more do you want????

razor
24/05/2004, 10:06 AM
are you mad man???? Colin has been one of our best players this season and has been excellent over the last 4-5 games..thought he was great on Friday night. Tackling, passing, controlling the play at times....what more do you want????

I think we were all in agreement at the start of this season that we needed a ball winner in the middle of the park. He signed Sweeney who in time may be this player and while CT is a good honest young fella who will run his socks off for the club he is definitely not this kind of player.
I don't think the centre of midfield is the place for him, I'd prefer to see him back on the right, Billy did ok but just couldn't manage to get a cross in.

thecorner
24/05/2004, 10:08 AM
stop now razor

colin t has been one of more the influential players in the last couple of years and is as important to the team as doyler, georgie and flynny are.

mr.dependable

nothing special,just goes out there and does his job...no questions asked

DolansWaistcoat
24/05/2004, 1:53 PM
CT is a great player and he deserves to be in our team whatever the position though he seems to have more influence in the centre so leave him there.

Sweeney needs a good run in the side before we write him off yet.

Éanna
24/05/2004, 3:32 PM
Colin T has been our best player this season. Wins 90% of his tackles and pretty much always finds his man with the pass. What more do you want? As for Fenn, I'm still unconvinced- he has talent and he isn't as lazy as people like to make out, but he could do more. Maybe being subbed will wake him up. Failing that, a game or two on the bench might help. My opinion on the front partnership is- George and Flynny wasn't broke, so why fix it?

SÓC
24/05/2004, 3:51 PM
My opinion on the front partnership is- George and Flynny wasn't broke, so why fix it?
Thats grand except then what do you leave in midfield, you need someone along side Colin in the middle and I dont think Sweeney is up to it yet. He needs more time to develop. Georgie has really settled into the centre of the park and played some magic stuff.

On Fenn when Doyler is back it could be just the kick up the arse that he needs, every game so far this season (pretty much) there has been no competition for places up front. Two of Steve O'Flynn, Doyler and Flynny have always been injured.

That has only left Nolan and Behan who aint up to it yet at any rate.

Éanna
24/05/2004, 4:06 PM
yeah, sorry,what I meant to say was that was my opinion before the season started and i think we'd have been better signing a midfielder than all those strikers. maybe gamble when he signs?

jofyisgod
24/05/2004, 5:44 PM
Sweeney needs a good run in the side before we write him off yet.

Agreed. He's fairly young, and he could be a midfield general for us in years to come. If, or When, we get Gamble, Brendan is bound to learn a lot from him, and he's probably learning loads from CT now.
Ct has been great this season, and i don't think a bad word should be spoken of him.