PDA

View Full Version : Travel Notes for Nigeria v Ireland 29/05/04

Daxion
21/05/2004, 2:58 PM
Please note that British Rail have decided to plan Engineering Works on the line to Charlton on Saturday 29/05/04. Here are the details copied from their web site. :mad:
Engineering work between London Blackfriars and Tulse Hill all day Saturday 29 May and Sunday 30 May
Start date Saturday 29 May 2004
End date Sunday 30 May 2004
TOC(s) affected Thameslink
Route affected Trains to and from London Blackfriars
Road transport will replace trains between London Blackfriars and Tulse Hill
I think you can get the Jubilee line to North Greenwich and get a bus from there. Anybody from that neck of the wood, please assist and confirm what number bus that can get to the Valley for the game.

Plastic Paddy
21/05/2004, 3:15 PM
False alarm Daxion. Charlton is reached by taking a Dartford via Greenwich train from Charing Cross or London Bridge. South Eastern Trains rather than Thameslink serve Charlton.

(FWIW, British Rail stopped running passenger services in 1997. But I digress...)

:) PP

finlma
21/05/2004, 3:16 PM
This is not the route I would take to Charlton anway. If you get to London Bridge or Charing Cross you can get a train to Charlton which goes through Greenwich. There are 5 of these trains every hour. I'm not aware of any engineering on this line and I take the train every day.
If the train is down (which I find unlikely) you can get the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) to Greenwich and take the 177 bus to Charlton.

supasparx
26/05/2004, 5:54 PM
Trains are not running to Charlton on sat. 29/5. I was advised by rail enquiries to take a train from London Bridge to New Cross, then they have provided buses to carry on to Charlton. Approx. journey time 40 mins.

A good few of us plan to travel down early and have a drink near the ground.
Visit www.zyworld.com for a full guide to The Valley, directions,pubs,ground facillities etc.....

Duncan Gardner
26/05/2004, 6:06 PM
I am also a local, living in Woolwich.

Rather than relying on rail replacement buses on Saturday (they often don't turn up), I recommend you get the docklands railway from Bank or Tower in central London to Greenwich Cutty Sark (where all the pubs, restaurants etc. are). Thence, it's an easy bus or cab ride two miles to the ground.

Look/listen out for tweed jacket, Belfast accent :)

lopez
27/05/2004, 8:36 AM
Welcome to the great British transport system. :rolleyes:

dublinred
27/05/2004, 9:12 AM
Interested in North Greenwich option as travelling in via Jubilee line , can this work ?

dublinred
27/05/2004, 9:16 AM
Just to add for anyone traveling from North England/Midlands /Holyhead via train the westcost mainline is undergoing serious surgery at this weekend affecting Virgin and Silverlink services.

finlma
27/05/2004, 9:34 AM
Interested in North Greenwich option as travelling in via Jubilee line , can this work ?

Think you can get the 486 from Noth Greenwich tube to Charlton or alternatively get the Jubilee to Canary Wharf and get the DLR as far as Cutty Sark.