PDA

View Full Version : Cork City -v- Longford Town

tiktok
21/05/2004, 2:44 PM
At the risk of jinxing it we've started to put a bit of form together and last friday the team got stuck in and put in a great performance.
Longford have been solid if unspectacular on their travels, but they've proven to be difficult to break down.

Doyler will be a loss but I'm assuming it'll mean Flynn will be straight back into the action, let's hope his recovery doesn't follow the same path as it did on his comeback against the Town last year.

Likely starting XI

Devine
Lordan Murray Bennett Murphy
Woods O'Callaghan O'Brien Nwankwo
Flynn Fenn

thecorner
21/05/2004, 3:00 PM
Devine
Lordan Murray Bennett Murphy
Woods O'Callaghan O'Brien Nwankwo
Flynn Fenn

according to spillane in the echo, dolan i set to renew the partnership of georgie and flynny tonite

IMO bad move, just when georgie and fenn were starting to come into their own in these positions

hope spillane is wrong again

adamcarr
21/05/2004, 3:34 PM
according to spillane in the echo, dolan i set to renew the partnership of georgie and flynny tonite

IMO bad move, just when georgie and fenn were starting to come into their own in these positions

hope spillane is wrong again
We have to trust him! He is such a reliable source! :D :rolleyes: :D

patsh
21/05/2004, 4:47 PM
Tough one, Longford will probably play an 11 man defence and hope to get a ridiculous penalty like the decision by Stokes up in Longford, or maybe a set piece goal.
I'd be happy with a 1 - 0 to us though.

pete
21/05/2004, 4:59 PM

Definitely not gonna happen then.

:)

Snatch
21/05/2004, 8:15 PM
1-0 to City.

Fynnie scores and it sounded like a cracker on the radio! :D

tiktok
21/05/2004, 8:45 PM
Yes!!!

1-0 to City, Full time.

John O'Flynn. Sounds like it was a brutal game, but it's a home win against a team that's hard to break down, I'm happy with it anyway.

Rovers beat Derry 1-0 earlier with Molloy goal.

jofyisgod
21/05/2004, 8:54 PM
Good to hear Stephen Napier on RTÉ also.

Well done City...and especially well done to JOF.
Joint second-not bad for a season that started like a 'disaster' :rolleyes:

adamcarr
21/05/2004, 9:12 PM
Flynnys goal was one of those moments when everything stops! :D But John O' Flynn was born to score goals! :)

A face
22/05/2004, 1:36 AM
Sounds like it was a brutal game.

Getting results when it is a brutal game isn't all that bad me thinks !!

patsh
22/05/2004, 9:56 AM
It wasn't a brutal game, not as exciting as last week, but a much better result.

niamh
22/05/2004, 11:13 AM
Longford are difficult to play against at the best of times, but last night's game was appauling until Georgie and Jof were reunioned up front. Then there was a bit of excitement.
Have not been than impressed with Fenn and he ain't getting any better.
Was also disappointed with Dolan's programme notes. Realistically how many of the players that went to Scotland will ever get a chance to be capped? And they are getting proper Irish caps out of the tournament. AND btw your U-21 coach is over their coaching the squad.
Also did not condemn what happened last week...has he at all?

Neil
22/05/2004, 11:52 AM
Also did not condemn what happened last week...has he at all?
And if Dolan was on about the trouble people would be saying "sure he should just be worrying about things on the pitch"

can't win

anyway twas nothing

patsh
22/05/2004, 4:37 PM
I have to say I agreed with Dolan's points on that pile of crap going on in Scotland.
That kind of rubbish tournament benefits who exactly? He is dead right about playing proper games against the Portugese, Spanish, Dutch, English leagues, which would benefit our U-21 players.
Playing this semi-pro stuff is about the height of that tosser Devlin's ambition all right. As regards Stuart Ashton, maybe Dolan left it up to himself, as he should have.

Gary
22/05/2004, 8:17 PM
but last night's game was appauling until Georgie and Jof were reunioned up front.

For an aspiring journo Niamh, thats fairly bad!!!! :p :p :p

niamh
23/05/2004, 11:51 AM
For an aspiring journo Niamh, thats fairly bad!!!! :p :p :p

Day off :p

What happened v Rovers should have been condemned by Dolan because, as we all know, he has a pull with many fans in the club.
As for the tournament it is a proper Irish cap for the players involved, it is an opportunity for the players to see what it is like to be involved in an international squad, and being involved does not exclude them in future squads if they are good, but most are not and will never be, but at least now they have a cap for their country.

NorthoftheLee
24/05/2004, 8:26 AM
Day off :p

What happened v Rovers should have been condemned by Dolan because, as we all know, he has a pull with many fans in the club.
As for the tournament it is a proper Irish cap for the players involved, it is an opportunity for the players to see what it is like to be involved in an international squad, and being involved does not exclude them in future squads if they are good, but most are not and will never be, but at least now they have a cap for their country.

as someone pointed out, lennox commented on it...whats the point in teh whole programme dedicated to 2 mins of trouble..I agree fully with the tournament being a waste of time.....so what if they got a proper cap, deep down all those players know its not the real deal.....its like a plastic cap...

as for Dolans notes...did anyone make any sense of the last paragraph...read it a few times (hungover at the time) and it made no sense what so ever..

Éanna
24/05/2004, 4:13 PM
Was also disappointed with Dolan's programme notes. Realistically how many of the players that went to Scotland will ever get a chance to be capped? And they are getting proper Irish caps out of the tournament. AND btw your U-21 coach is over their coaching the squad.

delighted to see someone have the sense to do it. Its a load of crap