PDA

View Full Version : Poor old Pat Kenny

eoinh
21/05/2004, 11:48 AM
The beloved broadcaster Pat Kenny who only earns a mere €550,000 of tax payers money is only getting a three month summer break this year.

We should campaign for justice for this talented broadcaster.
And poor old gaybo hes been paid to do nothing.

corkharps
21/05/2004, 11:58 AM
I'd nearly pay that much to keep him off the air! ;)

A face
21/05/2004, 3:47 PM
I'd nearly pay that much to keep him off the air! ;)

I'd nearly agree with ya there, but god above how can he justify paying that for him. It would be alright if he were any good. He should stick to radio.

Macy
24/05/2004, 8:13 AM
What I don't get with these RTE high wage earner's is where the competition is for them. They seem to pay these high wage bills to people who have no chance of earning anything like that with any other broadcaster. But sure, just up the licence fee again...

max power
24/05/2004, 9:08 AM
is he not entitled to parental leave like any other public servant ??? different rights for his cause he gets paid so much ?? right he gets paid half a million, but his show brings in over 2 million in advertising revenue ???

i thought the same about so much time off but public servants are allowed parental and thats what he is doing

eoinh
24/05/2004, 9:31 AM
so he has one child a year ? he seems to get these long summer breaks every year.

max power
24/05/2004, 9:36 AM
its not that, you can take 8 weeks off in the summer to be with your kids....i know people in a lot of depts and public bodies that do it.....

what about the td's holidays as a matter of interst, at least kenny works a full week, those yoks are never in the dail..

one of our local td's is on a committee which a work mate of mine was sitting in on, they anounced that the next meeting was on a certain date at half 9 (here is the clue on who it is ) and SHE said is that not a bit early....half 9, a bit early...lazy bi*ch

even if she had to get up from longford there is a bloody early train which a number of people get up to be in work before 9, each morning

tiktok
24/05/2004, 9:37 AM
he seems to get these long summer breaks every year.

but doesn't the radio show usually go on year-round?

Maz
24/05/2004, 9:39 AM
local td's(here is the clue on who it is ) and SHE said is that not a bit early....half 9, a bit early...lazy bi*ch

hmmm Peter Kelly???? :D

max power
24/05/2004, 9:40 AM
but doesn't the radio show usually go on year-round?

it does but everyone elses job go on all year round too........

eoinh
24/05/2004, 9:46 AM
its not that, you can take 8 weeks off in the summer to be with your kids....i know people in a lot of depts and public bodies that do it.....

Im not so sure, i must ask my better half but surely you cant do it every year :confused: and it would involve some loss of pay :confused:

ill know tonight but he does earn €550,000 basic. and what about uncle gaybos retainer?

Between them thats three quraters of a million.

i thought his radio show did stop for the summmer?

max power
24/05/2004, 9:49 AM
ok his basic is x, but there is a radio and tv show in that for one....how do you know he doesn't lose pay while off, its not as if he'd be hard up for a few quid, and yes i'd say he can do it each year, he is a parent each year and is entitled to the sam eworkers rights as everyone else, isn't he ??

gay byrne is a differnet kettle of fish, no time for the man or his stupid accents

tiktok
24/05/2004, 10:03 AM
it does but everyone elses job go on all year round too........

that's what I'm saying. people are treating it like he won't be working, but he'll still be working for RTE every week day

eoinh
24/05/2004, 10:12 AM
how do you know he doesn't lose pay while off,

if hes taking time off to be with his children thats term time. you dont get paid for term time. he got paid €550,000 last year

max power
24/05/2004, 10:29 AM
yeah but how do you know that wasn't minus the time off, if he takes time off without pay thats his business, teachers are off for 3 months and not a word is said, and they get paid and really only work half a day when you take free classes, lunch , finished at 4, starting at half 9.....

eoinh
24/05/2004, 10:46 AM
the figure was how much they payed him.

max power
24/05/2004, 10:47 AM
yeah but when compared to his audience figures and ad revenue its not bad for a tv show ( 3 million ad rev ) and radio show ( 2 million ad rev ).... he gets paid 1/10 of what he brings in

Macy
24/05/2004, 11:05 AM
Civil and Public Servants do get term time and other "Family Friendly" policy arrangements, however it's unpaid. I'm sure he also has his wages reduced over the year/ doesn't get paid over the summer :rolleyes:

How you can make a comparison between (say) a clerical officer in the civil service and someone who gets over €500000 a year (for a lot less hours a week) is beyond me.

Finally, if Pat Kenny is entitled to the same rights as any public servant, then surely he should be paid using the same pay scale. There certainly isn't a pay scale that goes up to that figure.

max power
24/05/2004, 12:00 PM
macy i'd agree with the pay scale point, but the rte agruement back is the ad revenue brought in by his shows.....

Macy
24/05/2004, 12:36 PM
macy i'd agree with the pay scale point, but the rte agruement back is the ad revenue brought in by his shows.....
But if he's not on the pay scale, he shouldn't have the same entitlements to the summer off under scheme's designed to help lower grades with childcare (costs) during the summer

Which brings me back to my original point - who else would pay him close to that amount? It's not like RTE have real competition, and broadcasters outside the state would hardly be interested in him. Anybody could be doing the late late and I doubt there's any drop in listener's during the summer (personally I'd be more likely to listen when he's not on!).

max power
24/05/2004, 12:42 PM
right bring in someone else and ratings drop, therefore ad revenue drops, therefore less money, therefore even higher licence and he goes somewhere else and brings another chunk of their listners....

its not as simple as how much he earns....

he has high rating = high ad revenue

he goes = loss in ad revenue - he is now competition

keep him there, keep ad rev high and no need to worry about competition...

broadcasting in ireland is a small industry with few bankers, he is one, gerry ryan is another....like a football club, you pay high to keep your star players as if he leaves you have to replace him and he is now in competition to you...

why do you think gay byrne is given the odd gig, to keep him with rte and not against them....

they are overpaid, but for a reason...they hold the power and not rte