PDA

View Full Version : Why so many great Scottish managers ?

OwlsFan
07/01/2011, 9:12 AM
With the apparent demise of Keane as a manager, it got me thinking that compared to the Scots we have fallen down badly in the sphere of managers in the game across the water. We have had some modest success (McCarthy, Kinnear, Giles, Coyle - who have I forgotton?) but not even remotely as close to the Scots (e.g. Bill Shankly, Alex Ferguson, Jock Stein, Kenny Dalglish, Matt Busby, David Moyes, Alex McCleish).

So why I wonder are we not as successful as the Scots?

pineapple stu
07/01/2011, 9:38 AM
We have had some modest success (McCarthy, Kinnear, Giles, Coyle - who have I forgotton?)
David O'Leary?

*Runs away from imminent war*

DeLorean
07/01/2011, 10:09 AM
It's probably even a bit cheeky claiming McCarthy to be fair, and very cheeky claiming Coyle. At least Kinnear was actually born in Ireland.

pineapple stu
07/01/2011, 10:18 AM
You could arguably claim John Aldridge too; very good spell at Tranmere, though nothing since.

But the overall point is there about the Scottish managers. It's also interesting that very few LoI managers move to England. Maybe it's a stage-of-life thing (set up in Ireland and don't want to uproot), but maybe also they're just not good enough.

superfrank
07/01/2011, 11:17 AM
On ex-LOI managers, Jim Gannon seems to have a decent enough rep in the UK. He did well with Stockport and he's just been handed the job at promotion contenders in League Two. He's also managed in the SPL and the Championship. All this after resigning from Dundalk when they were drawing all those games in the First Division.

Though, Kenny made a right haims of it at Dunfermline. Can't think of any other Irish managers who have gone over to England from the LOI.

pineapple stu
07/01/2011, 11:20 AM
Gannon's a good call alright, although even then, he spent most of his playing career in England, so it wasn't that much of a culture shock for him.

Maybe part of the problem is that the league can't - for want of money or reputation - entice Irish players back to Ireland to finish their careers and cut their teeth in management. So basically, we need more Jeff Kennas...

DeLorean
07/01/2011, 11:28 AM
Can't think of any other Irish managers who have gone over to England from the LOI.

Roddy Collins...brutal at Carlisle before they went from strength to strength after sacking him.

Noelys Guitar
07/01/2011, 1:52 PM
The culture of football that the great Scottish managers grew up in might have something to do with it. When you think about it there have been very few great English/Welsh/NI born managers. Scotland had (as Giles himself stated) in the 1960's/1970's a huge number of great players. I believe it was the football culture of that time that gave us so many great Scottish managers. The Scottish had for generations even before the 60's viewed football with a reverence and importance only matched in South America.

old git
07/01/2011, 7:53 PM
With the apparent demise of Keane as a manager, it got me thinking that compared to the Scots we have fallen down badly in the sphere of managers in the game across the water. We have had some modest success (McCarthy, Kinnear, Giles, Coyle - who have I forgotton?) but not even remotely as close to the Scots (e.g. Bill Shankly, Alex Ferguson, Jock Stein, Kenny Dalglish, Matt Busby, David Moyes, Alex McCleish).

So why I wonder are we not as successful as the Scots?

kenny dalglish / david moyes / alex mc cleish not even in the same league of the great shankly / stein / busby and ferguson ... but we could also say we have also fallen down badly in the sphere of great irish players across the water ..

OwlsFan
10/01/2011, 9:31 AM
Let's see how Dalglish gets on this time round. He will do very well to arrest a club in decline.

thischarmingman
10/01/2011, 11:48 AM
Though, Kenny made a right haims of it at Dunfermline.

In fairness, although Kenny didn't set the world on fire when he went to Dunfermline, the team was a mess when he arrived and he got them to within a game of safety, and to a SC final. Again, far from a success, but who knows what might have happened had they got one more good result at the end of the season.

OwlsFan
04/05/2011, 11:51 AM
With the arrival of Paul Lambert, that will make seven I think. Quite a statistic.

Closed Account 2
05/05/2011, 1:49 PM
If people are saying McCarthy "isn't Irish" then there is a very good case for saying Lambert is German given his stellar career with Dortmund.

superfrank
05/05/2011, 3:23 PM
Billy Davies could be going up too.

AFAIK, I read that Lambert did all his coaching badges in Germany.

DannyInvincible
06/05/2011, 7:48 PM
Martin O'Neill, surely.