PDA

View Full Version : Squad for Wales match?

bwagner
06/01/2011, 10:53 AM
Guys what are your taughts on what the squad will be or what you would like to see in the squad..

I so gutted about Meyler its not even funny :O(

Kingdom
06/01/2011, 11:28 AM
Given Westwood Murphy

Foley, Kelly, Dunne, O'Shea, Clark, Duffy, Ledger, Ward,

MCGeady, Coleman, Wilson, Clifford, Whelan, Fahey, Duff, Lawrence,

Keane, Doyle, Long, Best,

I'm working on the basis of O'Shea being available, McCarthy & Meyler being unavailable.

TrapAPony
06/01/2011, 11:33 AM
Basically the same as Kingdom. I would like to see a surprise name that nobody expected just to prove to me that the FAI scouts do work and actually deserve some of the money that they get. My biggest wish however is for Trap to get rid of McShane, Green and Kilbane once and for all.

bwagner
06/01/2011, 11:37 AM
Given Westwood

Foley, Dunne, Clark, Duffy, O'Dea , Ledger, Ward,

MCGeady, Coleman, Wilson, Clifford, Whelan, Fahey, Duff, Lawrence, Hamill

Keane, Doyle, Long, Best, Wlaters and Sammon

Scooby Doo
06/01/2011, 12:13 PM
If there is no movement on the Mark Noble situation for this game then I think we can probably assume it was rubbish all along. He played last night v Newcastle. Also we can't rule out the bald-one making a return. The litle slimeball has hit rock-bottom at club level and I'm sure would love a chance to play in front of the Sky cameras in Dublin.
I agree with the sentiments about replacing Kilbane, McShane and Green. Not to get swept up in the Gareth Bale hype but imagine Bale in his current form coming up against Killer. Could be very long night. McShane's inclusionis just laughable at this stage and we know now that Green is not up to it.

cornflakes
06/01/2011, 12:37 PM
Clifford wont be called up lads, we all know Green will

Charlie Darwin
06/01/2011, 1:38 PM
If Clifford gets a loan move to the Championship in the next few weeks I think he might be in with a shout.

Green won't be discluded from the squad with Andrews crocked and Meyler out for the rest of the season. Ditto Kilbane with Cunningham absent.

mark12345
06/01/2011, 3:46 PM
Wilson was the best Stoke performer the other night at Old Trafford. For me he showed more creativity in that ninety minutes than Whelan or Andrews have in a whole career in club and international football. Wilson was shortchanged along with Coleman for the Norway game. For me he must start against Wales.

theworm2345
06/01/2011, 3:51 PM
I think I read Trap will name the squad January 24th.

tetsujin1979
06/01/2011, 4:43 PM
went with the following 23 man squad, three goalkeepers, then two players for each position
couldn't decide between Randolph and Westwood, and obviously Kenny is doubtful
most notable omission is Aiden McGeady, because by the time of the Wales game, it'll be two months since his last game

Goalkeepers
Shay Given
Paddy Kenny (if he'll play)
Randolph/Westwood

Defenders
Stephen Ward
Ciaran Clark
John O'Shea
Richard Dunne
Sean St Ledger
Kevin Foley
Seamus Coleman
Stephen Kelly

Midfielders
Damien Duff
Keith Treacy
Keith Fahey
Glenn Whelan
James McCarthy
Marc Wilson
Liam Lawrence
Stephen Hunt

Strikers
Anthony Stokes
Robbie Keane
Kevin Doyle
Shane Long

Call up list
Joe Murphy
Brian Murphy
Eddie Nolan
Paddy McCarthy
Darren O'Dea
Darron Gibson
Wes Hoolahan
Stephen Ireland (let's see if he's bluffing)
Conor Sammon
Jonathan Walters
Leon Best

TrapAPony
06/01/2011, 4:52 PM
I think I read Trap will name the squad January 24th.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soccer/2011/0105/1224286826212.html

shakermaker1982
06/01/2011, 5:08 PM
If Coleman, Clark and McCarthy get starts then I'm happy. If he plays it safe against Wales and co then it's time for a change.

Noelys Guitar
06/01/2011, 5:43 PM
If Coleman, Clark and McCarthy get starts then I'm happy. If he plays it safe against Wales and co then it's time for a change.

Agree. I've had enough of the mediocrity. We have enough good young players playing regular first team football to be at least given a proper run out. Too many so called senior players guaranteed spots in the starting eleven. Time to shake it up Trap.

theworm2345
06/01/2011, 7:28 PM
He's still out injured, I don't even think he's back in training yet.

shakermaker1982
06/01/2011, 7:32 PM
My preference:

Given

Foley Dunne St Ledger O'Shea

Coleman McCarthy (if fit) Whelan Duff

Keane Doyle

If we get this (see below) then 2011 is going to be a year of treading water. Coleman has to get game time.

Given

O'Shea Dunne St Ledger Kilbane

Lawrence Whelan Green McGeady

Doyle Keane

shakermaker1982
06/01/2011, 7:34 PM
He's still out injured, I don't even think he's back in training yet.

Yeah I was thinking that when I was typing out my team (post above this). Wilson can step in. I wouldn't start with Clark but he should come on at HT.

Dunners
06/01/2011, 9:00 PM
Forget the usual suspects and go with this

Westwood
Foley - Duffy - Clark - St Ledger
Coleman - McCarthy - Wilson - Treacy
Long - Best

would like to see the following get on at some point

Maguire
Gibson
Stokes

Would love Clifford to be involved but see no chance of a call up. Lets face it, he would not call up McCarthy when he was our only midfield player starting in the
EPL (excluding Delap) so Clifford like the above team is just wishful thinking

The Fly
06/01/2011, 9:33 PM
would like to see the following get on at some point

Maguire
Gibson
Stokes

Has there been any official confirmation that Maguire has indeed declared for us?

Sullivinho
06/01/2011, 9:37 PM
I see Trap going with something like this:

Given, Westwood, Murphy

Foley, Kelly, Dunne, O'Shea, O'Dea, Clark, St. Ledger, Coleman, Kilbane

McGeady, Green, Hunt, Gibson, Wilson, Whelan, Fahey, Duff, Lawrence

Keane, Doyle, Long, Walters

I'd like to see Best, Ward and McCarthy (highly unlikely, injury-wise) in addition but above all for Foley, Coleman and Clark to get the extended minutes their premier league performances deserve. It's also high time we had a good look at Wilson in the center. I'm not sure there's much of a vacancy for Duffy in the Everton defense right now so a loan move would do him the world of good. I'd have no problem jettisoning O'Dea for him.

I reckon Clifford is an indistinct dot on the periphery of Trap's radar at this point. He's making some very promising steps but I won't cry foul if he's left out.

irishfan86
06/01/2011, 10:01 PM
Has there been any official confirmation that Maguire has indeed declared for us?

He has declared.

‘I just hope to keep my place in the Utrecht team. There’s an option on my contract to stay with the club for another two years. I’m still young and have plenty to learn. But if I do keep my place with Utrecht, I would love to get a call-up with Ireland this year.’

http://greenscene.me/2010/10/barry-maguire-finally-opts-for-ireland/

Dunners
06/01/2011, 10:03 PM
Maguire made himself available In Oct , he's waiting by the phone for a call up
No harm in having a closer look at him

mark12345
07/01/2011, 9:30 PM
Don't get the thinking that Whelan should remain in midfield, as quite a few people are advocating here. He was ok at best in the heighth of Ireland's last campaign and that's being generous. He has dropped off the face of the earth at Stoke. He and Andrews are yesterday's news now - harsh maybe but that's the type of managment decision we need if we're to qualify.

In any event, Fahey has clearly passed both in the pecking order.

And then there is also the option of Robbie as an attacking midfielder which I wish to God Trap would consider. It would make for Robbie running at the opposition defence (as he does with Spurs) and a front pairing of Best/Doyle or Stokes/Long or Folan/Sammon or Walters/Rooney (we need to go back to the little and large stikers as our continued long balls from defence have been presents to the likes of Russia and Slovakia in recent games).

With all those strikers to choose from Trap can no longer say he doesn't have the fire power.

backstothewall
08/01/2011, 12:20 AM
Started to write something totally different to this post, then had a think about it. Before the game I was on of those demanding names like Coleman, Walters etc get their chance. One game on and most of use aren't even mentioning Walters for the squad. I think I'm beginning to understand Trap better.

Obviously he is a conservative coach (but we all get a bit right wing as we get older). He likes a couple of games to look at people in his system, which tends to put him a few games behind the rest of us watching premier league every week and basing our opinion on that.

All this depends on his opinion of the competition. He notoriously hates losing any game, and although a lot of people have a fairly low opinion of this competition, if he is anything like me, he will really want to win this. The best way of doing that is putting out his strongest team, which we all know. That said, if there is one game to experiment in, its the Wales games.

Based on that assumption, I thought back to the last couple of games. He wanted a look at Clarke last time, which injury denied him, so I think he'll get his chance beside Dunne this time. In midfield he will want a further look at Fahey in the middle to confirm that he thinks he has something to offer. He might take a look at Wilson, but probably as a sub as at the minute Whelan is part of his system, and he will only change one of his midfielders at a time. Up front is tricky. He might have been intrigued by the second half last time (Long & Walters). Really he could do anything, and I would say he will debate that long and hard. Whatever he does the 4 strikers in the squad will be Keane, Long, Walters and Doyle. Can't see him picking any more than 4. He knows his four on that one now. Even if Leon Best scores another couple of hat tricks between now and then and forces his way in, I can't see him getting on.

Trap will consider that very experimental. Given the absence of Cunningham, that will mean Given in goal, O'Shea at RB, Kilbane at LB, Duff LW and Lawrence/McGeady RW. Given the clamour, and his performances, we might see Coleman off the bench. Maguire will probably have to be happy with a call-up for now

Charlie Darwin
08/01/2011, 1:01 AM
He wanted a look at Clarke last time, which injury denied him, so I think he'll get his chance beside Dunne this time.
I'm not so sure... Clark is left-sided and Dunne prefers to play on the left side as well.