PDA

View Full Version : St. James' Gate

A face
20/05/2004, 10:57 PM
Lads, St. James' Gate .... When, Who, Where, Why (aren't they around anymore?) .... they won the league two years anyway !!

Thats what it says here !! (http://www.irishfootballonline.com/history.php?comp=Premier)

Sheridan
20/05/2004, 11:03 PM
They were Ireland's very first champions in 1922 and won it again in 1940. Left the league in the 40s (??), replaced Newcastlewest in Division One in the early nineties and were kicked out in 1997. Seem to remember it had something to do with not installing floodlights...(?? again)

the 12 th man
21/05/2004, 7:08 AM
Where were the C*lchie b*llox scum then........& for dat matter D'Pats......?! :confused:

"
the "devils buttermilk" or what ????????. :eek:

think the gate are still around but playing at a lower level.leinster senior league or similar .afaik they were semi pro for a while (the pat byrne /john cleary era) but not any more.

Macy
21/05/2004, 7:36 AM
They play LSL, a lad in work plays for them.

drummerboy
21/05/2004, 8:44 AM
Thats right Macy, they've just been relegated from the Leinster Senior League Senior division. They've got decent facilities and play their matches on Saturday nights under floodlights. Great bar, cheap drink.

Dodge
21/05/2004, 9:07 AM
They weren't kicked out over floodlights. A group called Premier computers took them over and moved them to Tolka Park (in a Ronan Seery "let's win the european cup" style) but half way through the season up and left them for Rovers. Didn't really work out for them there either...

It meant the Gate were broke and had to leave the league again (being replaced by St. Francis)

eoinh
21/05/2004, 9:37 AM
I think orginally they were virtually a brewery team. If you played for them in the 20's you got a job with Guinness (a bit like Fordsons in Cork). I remember seening them when they played in the league during the 90's Against city i think so i presume it was a cup match). they were sponsered by guinness at the same time as city was.

They used to play out of the Iveagh grounds in crumlin (dont know if they still do). they also won the FAI cup twice. They have had 8 players capped for the Republic and Joe O'Reilly won 13 full caps for Ireland while playing for the GATE.

first time around they were in the league from 1921 to 1944. played in red shirts and green shorts.

drummerboy
21/05/2004, 9:55 AM
You know your stuff Eoin, I'll give you that. They still play in the Iveagh Grounds and still sport Red jerseys and Green shorts plus they're still sponsored by Guinness.

the 12 th man
21/05/2004, 10:01 AM
think their last bit of glory was about 12 years ago when they got to the semi final of the fai cup to be knocked out by bohs after a replay.

eoinh
21/05/2004, 11:35 AM
You know your stuff Eoin, I'll give you that. They still play in the Iveagh Grounds and still sport Red jerseys and Green shorts plus they're still sponsored by Guinness.

well actually i was at home when i wrote that. i have a copy of the Irish football handbook so its that rather than me which knows its stuff. :)

paudie
21/05/2004, 3:09 PM
I think Johnny Carey was transferred to Man Utd from the Gate.