PDA

View Full Version : Charity Collections...

Peadar
20/05/2004, 1:20 PM
Went out for my lunch there and every few paces down the street there were women sticking buckets in my face looking for money for the Telethon.
It was very intimidating. They didn't give any indication that they were doing anything for the money, just begging.
If someone was selling something for charity like a daffodil then I'll buy one straight off but in this day and age is it acceptable to just stick a bucket in front of people and ask for money?
There are so many charities out there that you'd go broke if you dropped €1 in everyone's bucket. Anyone paying a mortgage probably has less disposable income that those on benefit in local authority housing.
Am I wrong to think I should get something in return?
It just seems that everyone is looking for a handout.
Some less deserving than others.

max power
20/05/2004, 1:21 PM
ya think that s bad, wait til i corner ya tomorrow night for a donation for my marathon fund ;)

Peadar
20/05/2004, 1:22 PM
wait til i corner ya tomorrow night

Wont be there. You'll have to get me at the Karaoke/Quiz night thing you're planning.

pete
20/05/2004, 1:24 PM
Better off picking a charity(s) & just setup direct debit into their account. At least that way 100% (no commission for collectors) will go straight to the cause + they get tax your money from government if get to certain amount.

max power
20/05/2004, 1:27 PM
or just give the money to me.....quiz will be sometime in june i hope on a wen night.....it will be a laugh

Macy
20/05/2004, 1:31 PM
I'm right with you on this one Peader, although my pet hate is people hassling you in the pub for donations (the numbers at the international games is ridiculous - every 5 minutes!). And the same concern muppets ask me everyday whether I can spare a minute, and there's always people selling those dodgy scratch cards. Throw in the "homeless" people that only appear at lunch time here...

Christ you can't even come on foot.ie without someone begging for money of you! :D

Dodge
20/05/2004, 2:05 PM
Anyone paying a mortgage probably has less disposable income that those on benefit in local authority housing.
Am I wrong to think I should get something in return?
It just seems that everyone is looking for a handout.
Some less deserving than others.
Agree about your general point Peader but that statement is just plain wrong...

Peadar
20/05/2004, 2:13 PM
that statement is just plain wrong...

Wrong because you say so or do you have a counter argument?

Dodge
20/05/2004, 2:32 PM
Wrong as in what prove have you got?

Do you honestly believe most people on benefits in local authority housing have money to spare? I'm from a fairly poor area and poverty in rife. I know people who struggle from day to day to feed themselves and I think its very ****ing cheeky for someone to give the impression that these people are scrounging and living the high life on their paltry allowance. One or two might be scrounging, most are fighting for survival. Don't believe all those tabloid headlines

max power
20/05/2004, 2:33 PM
civil service isn't that bad ;)

Peadar
20/05/2004, 3:02 PM
I know people who struggle from day to day to feed themselves and I think its very ****ing cheeky for someone to give the impression that these people are scrounging and living the high life on their paltry allowance. One or two might be scrounging, most are fighting for survival.

I know people earning €40K + PA who struggle to make ends meet after paying the mortgage and putting the kids through school. Working long hard hours to earn that money in the first place. You might say, "move house" or "don't have kids" but that could be said to poverty stricken people too.

Dodge
20/05/2004, 3:31 PM
Yeah but given a choice which one would you pick? I'd rather have the 40K problems than the 100 euro a week problems.

Get back to your original point, I agree with you BUT i thought that line about people on benefits was uncalled for.

Peadar
20/05/2004, 3:37 PM
BUT i thought that line about people on benefits was uncalled for.

I was trying to suggest that someone wearing a suit and tie may not necessarily have more money to give than someone in a shell suit.
Walk down a street wearing a suit and then walk down the street in your tracksuit and trainers. You'll probably notice a big difference in attitudes towards you. If you're wearing a suit and fail to donate to a street collection then you often get that you miserable bastad look.
If you're in your tracksuit they often don't bother you.

Dodge
20/05/2004, 3:43 PM
So how often have you walked down the street in a tracksuit compared to a suit?

You're just making assumptions and getting paranoid that they're picking on you...

(for the record I don't wear shell suits or regular suits)

Peadar
20/05/2004, 3:52 PM
So how often have you walked down the street in a tracksuit compared to a suit?

You're just making assumptions and getting paranoid that they're picking on you...

I live in town so I often throw on the hoodie, tracksuit and trainers if I'm going down to Tesco or something. I'm not making any assumptions. It has been my own personal experience. You may not like it but people make an immediate judgement on a person based on their appearance.
You're getting very defensive Dodge.

Dodge
20/05/2004, 3:56 PM
You're getting very defensive Dodge.
Really? Didn't think I was...

I mean its a discussion and I'm arguing my point. Don't see what I have to be defensive about...

Still, if you insist

Peadar
20/05/2004, 4:00 PM
I mean its a discussion and I'm arguing my point. Don't see what I have to be defensive about...

Now you've gone away from the point because you can't deny what has been my experience. Perhaps you could invest in a Michael Guiney special and wear it down Grafton Street. Then wear a Louis Copeland special and note the various reactions.

wws
20/05/2004, 4:11 PM
copeland suits are actually guineys cast offs with the labels ripped off :eek:

Peadar
20/05/2004, 4:15 PM
:eek:
You'd know all about Guiney's rejects.

wws
20/05/2004, 4:26 PM
careful - I saw u in a hideous t shirt in the AD!

Peadar
21/05/2004, 7:59 AM
careful - I saw u in a hideous t shirt in the AD!
I saw you in the AD with a hideous bird. :eek:
Was that some of your charity work? :D

Macy
21/05/2004, 8:38 AM
I saw you in the AD with a hideous bird.
:D Nice to see that some things in life remain consistent.