PDA

View Full Version : Scam alert

tetsujin1979
27/12/2010, 12:35 PM
Normally I would never post anything like this (in fact we have a strict policy in work to never forward mails about viruses) but a load of my friends have been getting unsolicited calls from tech support claiming that they're calling on behalf of Microsoft, and that there's a problem with their pc.
Either they ask for your online banking details, or they ask for your credit card details, to fix the issue remotely. Of course, there is no issue, and they'll just clear out your bank account/credit card.
If you get this call, ignore it, hang up, or just put the phone down until they hang up.

A face
30/12/2010, 8:48 AM
I have head of someone getting caught with this about 4-5 months ago

osarusan
30/12/2010, 9:11 AM
This has been happening a lot down in Limerick. There was a thread on boards.ie about it, and I have received at least 8 calls on my landline from people who know my name and that I have a computer using Microsoft. They always sound Indian/Pakistani, and when I tell them I don't have a computer anymore they just say thanks and hang up.

outspoken
01/01/2011, 6:16 PM
Very first day I got my new phone somehow I ended up getting a call from some fella claiming to be from eircom he said your computer is broken and I said no it's not and he said sorry wrong number a number of my friends received the same phone call from the exact same person so watch out 4 it

sligoman
02/01/2011, 12:11 PM
Fairly simple to overcome, just never give your bank a/c or credit card details to anyone over the phone if they've rang you. Amazed at the amount of people who get caught by these silly scams.

dahamsta
03/01/2011, 3:26 AM
Most of the current spate of calls are actually about getting trojans onto computers, not getting financial details directly. Much easier social engineering, and it gives them everything you do on your computer, nor just one subset.

Macy
04/01/2011, 9:19 AM
Most of the current spate of calls are actually about getting trojans onto computers, not getting financial details directly. Much easier social engineering, and it gives them everything you do on your computer, nor just one subset.
Yeah, one of my colleagues in work had one of those calls about "fixing" their computer from imminent danger! They were trying to get them to change security and other settings. She coped on early enough, but wasn't asked for credit card details. They got quite pushy when she was saying to call back later.