PDA

View Full Version : Munster Senior Cup Final

razor
18/05/2004, 10:10 PM
I heard the Munster Senior Cup Final against Carrick United has been fixed for Sunday May 30th in Ozier Park Waterford.

Thats 2 trips to that hole in the one weekend.

razor
19/05/2004, 9:28 PM
The Beautiful Game or Heathen Neanderthal stick fighting.
The choice my friend is yours.

A face
20/05/2004, 12:27 AM
Heathen Neanderthal stick fighting.

If it was on the street ... it would be a riot.

eastcork
20/05/2004, 7:33 AM
i'm afraid Neanderthal stick fighting wins it any day of the week. a bad game of hurling is 100 times better than a good game of soccer i'm afraid. especially league of ireland stuff!

The Donie Forde
20/05/2004, 8:36 AM
[QUOTE=razor]I heard the Munster Senior Cup Final against Carrick United has been fixed for Sunday May 30th in Ozier Park Waterford. QUOTE]

That is the correct date for the MSC final - at the moment.
The kick-off is set for 3pm and there will be NO replay.

The game may be changed if Carrick end up drawing their FAI senior cup tie next Sunday, so the MSC date is PROVISIONAL.

Donie

Eric
20/05/2004, 3:06 PM
i'm afraid Neanderthal stick fighting wins it any day of the week. a bad game of hurling is 100 times better than a good game of soccer i'm afraid. especially league of ireland stuff!

Tosser!!! :rolleyes:

adamcarr
20/05/2004, 3:08 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: Farmer! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Pablo
20/05/2004, 3:11 PM

i enjoy a game of bogball occasionally but its not a patch on the world game

A face
20/05/2004, 3:25 PM
i enjoy a game of bogball occasionally but its not a patch on the world game

I'd have agree on that one !!

patsh
20/05/2004, 4:48 PM
Lads, hurling is a fantastic game, no matter what some of you think. Championship games are fantastic, the colour, the sun, the craic, the whole massive event. If the eL could capture even a bit of the atmosphere, we would be doing well.
I hope I don't have to miss the hurling game, especially having to go down to the Wahurfort sh*thole.... :(

James
20/05/2004, 4:54 PM
hurling is a great sport
cant beat a roasting hot summer's day in thurlus v tipp on a munster final sunday... magic :)

that said theres nothing quite like hammering the ****e out of rovers/SPA/$hel$ or Bores either.. esp away from home :)

Éanna
20/05/2004, 6:12 PM
go away. I'm sure the cows need milking or a sheep needs seeing to :rolleyes:

vito_golightly
20/05/2004, 6:26 PM
Championship games are fantastic, the colour, the sun, the craic, the whole massive event. If the eL could capture even a bit of the atmosphere, we would be doing well.

what you say is exactly why it isn't as fantastic as it is made out to be. it's a mullocker's game, an enjoyable mullocker's game but a mullocker's game all the same.
while there is a (slightly limited) skill level, there is absolutely no intelligence to it and the tactics involved are highly over-estimated. yes it is fantastic, colourful, sunny, full of craic and er massive but what's it like on the pitch?

Colm
20/05/2004, 6:26 PM
a sheep needs seeing to

He may be an idiot but that's no need to call him a Waterford fan! :D

patsh
20/05/2004, 7:15 PM
what you say is exactly why it isn't as fantastic as it is made out to be. it's a mullocker's game, an enjoyable mullocker's game but a mullocker's game all the same.
while there is a (slightly limited) skill level, there is absolutely no intelligence to it and the tactics involved are highly over-estimated. yes it is fantastic, colourful, sunny, full of craic and er massive but what's it like on the pitch?
Hmmm, what strain of Mogadon are you on?
How many games have you been too, or played in?
Hurling is one of the most skillful games in the world.
Since when was Jimmy Barry Murphy a mullocker? Joe Deane, Tom Cashman, Martin Doherty, Sean Og etc, etc...
Actually whats the point....

(slightly limited) skill level..... :eek: :rolleyes:

vito_golightly
20/05/2004, 8:19 PM
Easy tiger.
I stand by my opinion that there is a skill level which is slightly limited - I didn't say limited, I said SLIGHTLY limited. But when it comes to tactics and intelligent play, hurling is sadly lacking and is therefore perfect for mullockers.

For what its worth, here’s my hurling C.V.:
Played with Blackrock till minor but won **** all cos of playing against nearly the best Barrs underage teams in recent years - nearly cos they were using the likes of fitzy, cathal mac and ronan curran who were (and are) a year younger than me so their team would probably be seen as one of the best in recent years.

Went to my first Munster Final in 1987 in Thurles aged 7 when Tipp and Cork drew (and cork went on to lose the replay as no doubt you know) - the game when Nicky English 'soccered' the ball past Ger Cunningham's left shoulder.
My first County final was 1985 when Blackrock beat Midelton but all I vaguely remember is the teams posing for the photographs.
Since then I don't know how many games I’ve been to and I really don't care - like you say: "what's the point"! Suffice is to say is that up until 1999, it was fairly regular until I realised that the anomoly between the attendance at the league game versus waterford when Cork got a last minute win in Flower Lodge ;) and the subsequent and unsurprising boom in interest for the All-Ireland final just didn't make sense any longer.

Don't watch Cork anymore cos of those and other reasons but I’ll still go support Blackrock - which isn't as easy as it used to be ;)

The simple fact of the matter is that hurling is overrated. One of the most lauded highlights of the hurling year last year (and maybe this is cos half my family is from Tipp) was when the sliotar hit Brendan Cummins three or four times against Kilkenny. A great advertisement for its excitement but where does that really get you at the end of the day.

Which reminds me, you haven’t addressed why you used the terms you did to describe the game. Don’t you think it was quite damaging to describe it in such superficial terms? And you also said that “Championship games are fantastic […] If the eL could capture even a bit of the atmosphere, we would be doing well.” – well surely that’s not a viable desire because all the excitement you speak of is simply crammed in to a handful of games causing the stakes to be higher as result whereas the football season is spread out more.

The pedestal on which hurling is placed by the impassioned observers of this game reminds me of the belief held in Australia that Aussie Rules is the best game in the world. They really do believe that.

Football is not exciting by nature and does not get played at a break-neck speed like hurling so comparisons are futile. Therefore I apologise to everyone for extending this debate.

SÓC
20/05/2004, 8:31 PM
I'd agree that at the higher levels hurling is lacking in tactics but I think that just because the Senior Inter County managers are afraid of trying things out.

If you ever see Newtown M.S. play they play the game in a kind of 'total hurling' way, they pass the ball up the pitch, their positions are dynamic, nobdy is ever in one position for too long.

When I used to play in Dublin our team would only ever play with one in the full forward line, the other two lads would float around midfield, it totally changed the complexion of the game.

eastcork
21/05/2004, 7:32 AM
Jesus, see what i started!! Hurling is not just a farmer's game. How many of the Cork senior team are city boys. There is a good number! How can anyone say that hurling is a mullockers game. Maybe down in Junior A or B but not at intercounty level.

Anyway, i for one will not be going to the cork-limerick game as i think cork will pull through that one fairly easy and i live in waterford so i will be going to support the city boys!

By the way, this Carrick team are so full of themselves....they are pure waterford scum so i hope to god that we beat the shiX out of them

eastcork
21/05/2004, 7:34 AM
Did you know that George O' Callaghan and Liam Kearney both played hurling for Cork underage before they went pro with the soccer. Kearney in particular was a fantastic player.

razor
21/05/2004, 7:37 AM
Did you know that George O' Callaghan and Liam Kearney both played hurling for Cork underage before they went pro with the soccer. Kearney in particular was a fantastic player.

So what ?

Lads can we please refrain from stick fighting talk, its making me nauseous.

XR look what you are after starting !!!!! :mad:

yiddo
21/05/2004, 1:47 PM
Its getting worse ! Georgie claims in todays Sun that we wants to go back playing hurling ! But only after "he wins the league and a few cups with City"

We won't be losing him for the forseeable future so :D ;)

ConfusedBlue
21/05/2004, 9:23 PM
I ust hope for yere sake that your 2nd trip is'nt as fruitless as yere 1st will be!!! ;)

GavinZac
21/05/2004, 11:39 PM
george was playing hurling for the glen when he came back, apparantly his first time playing in about 5 years he was the best player on the pitch!

razor
23/05/2004, 7:50 PM
That is the correct date for the MSC final - at the moment.
The kick-off is set for 3pm and there will be NO replay.

The game may be changed if Carrick end up drawing their FAI senior cup tie next Sunday, so the MSC date is PROVISIONAL.

Donie

Carraig Utd beat Bluebell 3-2 today so no replay anyway

TommyT
23/05/2004, 9:51 PM
East Cork isn't there a hurl.ie you could be a member of ?

irisheagle
24/05/2004, 10:56 PM
Jesus, see what i started!! Hurling is not just a farmer's game. How many of the Cork senior team are city boys. There is a good number! How can anyone say that hurling is a mullockers game. Maybe down in Junior A or B but not at intercounty level.

Anyway, i for one will not be going to the cork-limerick game as i think cork will pull through that one fairly easy and i live in waterford so i will be going to support the city boys!

By the way, this Carrick team are so full of themselves....they are pure waterford scum so i hope to god that we beat the shiX out of them

To call people scum behind a pen name says a lot about the person who scripted the comment. For your infromation Carrick is in County Tipperary and if a paided Premier Eircom League team can not beat an unpaid beat a junior team well it sad. Might also interest you to note Pat Dolan wants to sign one of the "scum" your speak about. Cork City are a great club so are Carrick United both clubs deserve genuine supporters not sad sick comment like above. No wonder few go to Eircom League games with comments like that.

Éanna
26/05/2004, 11:48 AM
To call people scum behind a pen name says a lot about the person who scripted the comment. For your infromation Carrick is in County Tipperary and if a paided Premier Eircom League team can not beat an unpaid beat a junior team well it sad. Might also interest you to note Pat Dolan wants to sign one of the "scum" your speak about. Cork City are a great club so are Carrick United both clubs deserve genuine supporters not sad sick comment like above. No wonder few go to Eircom League games with comments like that.

:rolleyes:

paided Premier Eircom League team
whats "paided" when its at home? :D

sullanefc
26/05/2004, 12:09 PM
reminds me of the belief held in Australia that Aussie Rules is the best game in the world. They really do believe that.

Not being clever or anything but Aussie Rules is mainly a melbourne game. More than half the league comes from there. In Sydney Aussie rules players are regarded as poofs and Rugby League is the main sport. (By the way if you get a chance to see the NRL on sky sports its much better than the Rugby League played in England, class game). Rugby Union is the only National sport in Australia. But as I said i'm not trying to be smart, just setting the record straight.

Anyways, EastCork, have you asked yourself why Setanta swapped stickfighting for Aussie Rules ;) Just goes to show that there are sports just as good as your beloved hurling. Each to their own and horses for courses and all that, personally I would much prefer to see City v Waterford in LOI rather than Cork Limerick in Hurling.

razor
26/05/2004, 12:27 PM
Rugby Union is the only National sport in Australia.

What about cricket ?

patsh
26/05/2004, 5:04 PM
and sheep shearing.... :D

vito_golightly
26/05/2004, 7:18 PM
Not being clever or anything

Too bloody roight mate... :)

Did I hit a nerve by insulting Aussie Rules? Or are you on the fence? Anyway, whatever the truth i can't exactly ignore what you said.

Firstly my point that there is a "belief held in Australia" seems to be the premise for your defence of Aussie Rules. OK one could interpret me as believing that this may be a belief ALL over Australia as you did but i was referring to supporters and analysts of the game (especially analysts cos I read it in a paper there) who coincidentally live in Australia.

Just on that point - your quibble with my sense of geography was kind of undermined by your quote: "Aussie Rules is mainly a Melbourne game". I'm sure supporters of Geelong and historians of the VFL in general will see that as somehow confined and narrow.

Secondly - to quote razor "what about cricket?" - for me there is no question mark - it IS the national game. every small town has an oval - every state / territory plays it. its of a general interest to most, if not the main interest, and is as close to being a national sport as it gets - although that definition with a country like Australia is a little risky.

what is certain is that Rugby Union is NOT the national sport - it is, similar to League, an East Coast code. For example, Union is almost non-existent in Adelaide (almost - had an Adelaide friend who represented Australia when he was young) and in Perth

Footie in those places (and of course Victoria) equals Aussie Rules while Footie on the East Coast equals Rugby League (and interestingly, Footie in New Zooland equals Rugby Union).

I am open to correction on another issue i take with your post - i find it hard to believe Aussie rules players would be seen as “poofs” in Sydney or anywhere, even taking into account the Melbourne/Sydney rivalry but if you say so...

Just to clear it up - Aussie Rules is rubbish - so incredibly scrappy. Used to go see Crows and Port Adelaide. They're only kidding themselves those Australians... I mean those Victorians, those South Ozzies, those Perth/Freo heads, those Franchised Sydney peoples from North Melbourne - did I leave anyone out? have we reached a politically correct compromise? ;)

Eric
27/05/2004, 1:00 PM

Did I hit a nerve by insulting Aussie Rules? Or are you on the fence? Anyway, whatever the truth i can't exactly ignore what you said.

Firstly my point that there is a "belief held in Australia" seems to be the premise for your defence of Aussie Rules. OK one could interpret me as believing that this may be a belief ALL over Australia as you did but i was referring to supporters and analysts of the game (especially analysts cos I read it in a paper there) who coincidentally live in Australia.

Just on that point - your quibble with my sense of geography was kind of undermined by your quote: "Aussie Rules is mainly a Melbourne game". I'm sure supporters of Geelong and historians of the VFL in general will see that as somehow confined and narrow.

Secondly - to quote razor "what about cricket?" - for me there is no question mark - it IS the national game. every small town has an oval - every state / territory plays it. its of a general interest to most, if not the main interest, and is as close to being a national sport as it gets - although that definition with a country like Australia is a little risky.

what is certain is that Rugby Union is NOT the national sport - it is, similar to League, an East Coast code. For example, Union is almost non-existent in Adelaide (almost - had an Adelaide friend who represented Australia when he was young) and in Perth

Footie in those places (and of course Victoria) equals Aussie Rules while Footie on the East Coast equals Rugby League (and interestingly, Footie in New Zooland equals Rugby Union).

I am open to correction on another issue i take with your post - i find it hard to believe Aussie rules players would be seen as “poofs” in Sydney or anywhere, even taking into account the Melbourne/Sydney rivalry but if you say so...

Just to clear it up - Aussie Rules is rubbish - so incredibly scrappy. Used to go see Crows and Port Adelaide. They're only kidding themselves those Australians... I mean those Victorians, those South Ozzies, those Perth/Freo heads, those Franchised Sydney peoples from North Melbourne - did I leave anyone out? have we reached a politically correct compromise? ;)

I've noticed one thing over the last couple of months from coming on here, ya don't FCUK with Vito unless you know your stuff!!!! :cool:

sullanefc
28/05/2004, 1:28 AM

Did I hit a nerve by insulting Aussie Rules? Or are you on the fence?

I don't like the sport! :p

:rolleyes:

I believe I used the word MAINLY.

True!!

True!! Union is mainly East Coast. I stand corrected!! :cool:

They are seen as poofters in Sydney. And they are!!! State of Origin. Now thats a game.

I agree it is rubbish. I thought I was making a minor point. Didn't know I caused WW3. Doesn't matter anyways. Come on CITY!!!

vito_golightly
28/05/2004, 10:42 AM
Hardly WW3 now is it?

NorthoftheLee
28/05/2004, 10:49 AM
How the hell did a thread on the MSC final enbd up with a WW3 fight about Aussie sports???

Vito..you have a lot of explaining to do young man!!!! Why i oughta!! ;)

GavinZac
28/05/2004, 2:16 PM
yeah but baseball sucks.

*points the thread at off topic and hits the gas*