PDA

View Full Version : Child safety seats for cars.

osarusan
12/12/2010, 11:43 PM
Osarusan the 3rd will be dragged kicking and screaming into the world in early January if all goes well, and although friends and relatives have been really helpful with loads of stuff like cots and clothes, I'm interested in your opinions on child safety seats for cars.

We've already been loaned one that looks like this (http://www.tomthumbbabyequipmenthire.co.uk/pictures/maxi-cosi%20cabrio%20fix%20car%20seat.jpg). It's one of those removable ones that seem to be common, where the seatbelt straps across the top of the 'lap' of the safety seat, and the whole thing can be taken out and used to carry the little bundle of joy.

The thing is that I've installed it and looked and pulled and pushed it around the place, and I'm not convinced how safe it is. When osarusan the 2nd was born, we had a two part seat, with a base that was permanantly installed, and the removable part locked down into it, and it was much more secure (to my mind at least).

Can anybody dispel my fears about the kind of baby seat I've linked to above?

Mr A
13/12/2010, 8:27 AM
I think the one you have should be grand as long as its a reputable brand and in good condition.

I think the most common mistake with these yocks is people not hooking them into the belts right, although that's probably more-so an issue with the type you used the last time.

Congrats by the way!

Macy
15/12/2010, 10:33 AM
We've already been loaned one that looks like this (http://www.tomthumbbabyequipmenthire.co.uk/pictures/maxi-cosi%20cabrio%20fix%20car%20seat.jpg). It's one of those removable ones that seem to be common, where the seatbelt straps across the top of the 'lap' of the safety seat, and the whole thing can be taken out and used to carry the little bundle of joy.

The thing is that I've installed it and looked and pulled and pushed it around the place, and I'm not convinced how safe it is. When osarusan the 2nd was born, we had a two part seat, with a base that was permanantly installed, and the removable part locked down into it, and it was much more secure (to my mind at least).

We used one like this - the lap belt goes across the top (the legs of the baby), and then the shoulder strap should go around (and normally fittings to slip it in either on the sides or on the back) around the back of the car seat. I'm not sure my description is that clear, but they use the same logic as if you were belting up. It should be pretty secure. Maybe you just missed that from your description, but when we borrowed one the missus friend showed us with it just across the lap, without the strap around the back of the seat that is crucial!

If you were buying one, I'd consider getting one that clips on to a buggy too (we didn't, and having two small uns over the winter months it was a pain getting them out of the seat and into a pram).

osarusan
15/12/2010, 12:41 PM
We used one like this - the lap belt goes across the top (the legs of the baby), and then the shoulder strap should go around (and normally fittings to slip it in either on the sides or on the back) around the back of the car seat. I'm not sure my description is that clear, but they use the same logic as if you were belting up. It should be pretty secure. Maybe you just missed that from your description, but when we borrowed one the missus friend showed us with it just across the lap, without the strap around the back of the seat that is crucial!

If you were buying one, I'd consider getting one that clips on to a buggy too (we didn't, and having two small uns over the winter months it was a pain getting them out of the seat and into a pram).

Yeah, the kind I'm talking about goes round the back as well as over the baby's legs, I just didn't mention it. What concerns me is that there's no way to 'lock' it or tighten it - it is the exact same principle as ordinary use of the seat belt, it just doesn't feel as secure as the one I had before.

Wolfie
15/12/2010, 12:44 PM
Osarusan the 3rd will be dragged kicking and screaming into the world in early January if all goes well, and although friends and relatives have been really helpful with loads of stuff like cots and clothes, I'm interested in your opinions on child safety seats for cars.

For what its worth - I'd concur with your view. We used the seat with the permanent base and I was happy enough that it was always secure. Probably not what you want to be hearing.

That said, as mentioned above, once the seat belts are utilised correctly it should be grand.

Please God, I'm in the same boat myself - only I'll be adding 2 new seats - we've twins on the way and already have a 3 year old in a booster seat.

Still not sure if the car is going to fit all these seats?????????

Macy
15/12/2010, 1:23 PM
Yeah, the kind I'm talking about goes round the back as well as over the baby's legs, I just didn't mention it. What concerns me is that there's no way to 'lock' it or tighten it - it is the exact same principle as ordinary use of the seat belt, it just doesn't feel as secure as the one I had before.
I can only say we were happy with ours of a similar design, but iirc ours was pretty tight once the belts were clipped in, and in the right channels. Ultimately it's really whatever you're comfortable with yourselves - things like that to do with the children would drive me nuts if I wasn't comfortable with it!

Some seats won't fit some cars - the only way around that is to pony up and go somewhere like Mothercare that'll fit them to the car. Halfords might as well, but for some reason I wouldn't trust them as much.

Dodge
15/12/2010, 1:38 PM
We got ours in Mothercare. We went for the fixed base one that will suit the kid up to 5 as it can be adapted. In fairness to the staff in Mothercare and halfords they were knowledgable enough and there was no probelm trying several out with the car.

The seat at the link above was used to take her home though, and was never a problem in other cars.

Mr A
15/12/2010, 3:12 PM
Please God, I'm in the same boat myself - only I'll be adding 2 new seats - we've twins on the way

Balls to car seats Wolfie. You should be looking at good places in which to construct an new city. Maybe somewhere along the Italian coast with a river.

Hitman
15/12/2010, 10:45 PM
Balls to car seats Wolfie. You should be looking at good places in which to construct an new city. Maybe somewhere along the Italian coast with a river.

Mayhaps a few hills too, I'm not sure how many though. Somewhere between six and eight perhaps.

Wolfie
16/12/2010, 12:40 PM

Mayhaps a few hills too, I'm not sure how many though. Somewhere between six and eight perhaps.

Yes indeed. It goes without saying that plans are at an advanced stage to construct a new city in order to comfortably provide for two adults, a three year old and, please God, two newborn children.

We've had to settle for 6 hills in the background with some grazing sheep and goats intermittently scattered along the climbs. There is a cable car that runs between some of the hills, but it needs new batteries.

In order to give the new city an authentic look, a few drug addicts have agreed in principal to populate the outside of our shopping centre and have agreed to urinate and vomit in designated areas in shifts. This is yet to be finalised and discussions are ongoing with SIPTU.

We instructed our property consultant to seek out "somewhere continental" but he misheard us a sought out "somewhere mental".

We'll be based near Grangegorman.