PDA

View Full Version : Irelands Future!!

concanta
18/05/2004, 10:38 AM
I know only time will tell...but I think Ireland medium to long term future looks very very good. There seems to be a lot of young players coming through - much more than at any stage under Charlton or McCarthy.

We could do with a new goalkeeper (maybe Stack might be the guy) and a central defender or 2 comnig through.

But we have players like
Stephen Kelly
Mark Yeates
Andy Reid
Liam Miller
Tom Butler
Aiden McGeady
Stephen Elliott

your thoughts?

finlma
18/05/2004, 10:46 AM
I agree that the future does seem bright but we need a top class centre-back and a clinical finisher up front. All in all though, the future's bright, the future's green!

4tothefloor
18/05/2004, 10:56 AM
It's vital that we qualify for the World Cup in 2006 as it could be our best one yet, at least our best chance of getting further than the Q\Finals. Everyone coming through now will be 2 years older and the wiser. We could have a lethal squad, with no lack of creativity, all going well.

concanta
18/05/2004, 11:01 AM
I really think that if Roy Keane is still around - he should play in centre defence

This would be a wicked team

Given

Carr
Cunningham
Keane
O Shea

Yeates
Miller
A Reid
Duff

Keane
Elliott

pete
18/05/2004, 11:10 AM
Theres always young player coming through but big difference between making 1st team bench or run out in last meaningless game of the season & starting international games.

:rolleyes:

Outsider
18/05/2004, 11:12 AM
The guys quoted in the original post will have to go along way to prove the can cut it at the highest level, by which I mean Premier League. Then they'll have to go onto the National team and do it again.

Bowsy
18/05/2004, 11:24 AM
There's a long distance between having potential and realising your potential (McPhail, Kennedy, O'Neill, Harte, George, etc). That said can't remember last time we had this many up and coming players to add to an already decent side. Kelly has been known to play Centre Half and could be a future option along with McShane at United provided they develop accordingly. Reid, Miller and McGeady all have huge talent and Elliott looks like a fantastic prospect. I'm very much in the wait and see how they progress camp, as opposed to the many throw the baby out with the bath water merchants about, but hard not to get excited about Irish football's future. I honestly believe we have a great team in the making.

Beavis
18/05/2004, 11:56 AM
I really think that if Roy Keane is still around - he should play in centre defence

No way mate...had a run at centre half for Man U a few years back and it didn't work.

Bowsy
18/05/2004, 12:00 PM
No way mate...had a run at centre half for Man U a few years back and it didn't work.

Did it this season for a few games when they were stuck and looked class. Only time United defence looked sound all season.

tetsujin1979
18/05/2004, 12:09 PM
we need a top class centre-back and a clinical finisher up front

Reckon Man City's Elliot and McCarthy could be the two we need. Both on the fringes of the first team, and both often mentioned by Keegan as for the future. McCarthy's yet to make his first team debut, but Elliot's played twice and has been unlucky not to score, experience will take care of that.

concanta
18/05/2004, 12:13 PM
I know its hard to say how they will develop but what i am saying is that the signs are good - i think kelly has cemented his palce in the spurs team next year. If even half of the players come through and are as good as we think they might be then we have a good future to look forward to

I think its vital we qualify for the world cup - an absolute must

Bowsy
18/05/2004, 12:15 PM
Reckon Man City's Elliot and McCarthy could be the two we need. Both on the fringes of the first team, and both often mentioned by Keegan as for the future. McCarthy's yet to make his first team debut, but Elliot's played twice and has been unlucky not to score, experience will take care of that.

Elliott is top Scorer in the reserves, just hard to see him force his way past the overated partnership of Anelka and Fowler. McCarthy needs a shot. Cannot be any worse than the cavalier Distin. Is Van Buyten staying next year?

Pat O' Banton
18/05/2004, 7:23 PM
Not to be overly pesimisstic but I do worry about Miller at Utd. They seemed to have moved away from the days where they were capable of bringing on talent from a relatively young age and that maybe he will spend more time on the bench (doing what to his confidence?) Hopefully being at a club like Man Utd. will be enough of a learning curve for him.
With McGeady, there is always great pressure for youth team forwards at Parkhead. How many new Dalglish's have there been at Celtic? Each one faded away badly since McClair has faded away badly, so I'd still be wary.
From what i have seen at Highbury this year Stack has improved after not exactly setting the world on fire against Rotterham in the League Cup. I was v. unsure about his ability to deal effectively with crosses, however he improved a great deal as his run in the tornament went on. Still has keepers last a long time hopefully Given can be our mainstay.
I would say that if Miller and McGeady can cope with the respective pressures that they will undoubtedly face they will improve Ireland immeasurably

NeilMcD
18/05/2004, 7:36 PM
Darren fletcher and John Oshea and Wes Brownhave all come from uniteds youth ranks recently

tiktok
18/05/2004, 9:20 PM
If you're talking about the future....this old donkey should be put out to grass ASAP!

I'm not going to pretend that he's the force he once was Dav, but I think he can help bring the best out of players like Miller (who I think will benefit from Roy being at United), Reid, Elliot, Douglas in the Irish set-up. when it comes down to it, he's probably a player they've looked up to while coming through the ranks (though I'm willing to accept Saipan may have changed that, I think the fact those players never played under McCarthy will mean that they'll have little objection to his return).

Once we have clear evidence that Miller, Duff, Reid and (at the mo') Holland or Kilbane can run a midfield at Euro level, Keane will be at an age and Level where he'll probably have nothing to offer.

Pat O' Banton
19/05/2004, 6:47 AM
Darren fletcher and John Oshea and Wes Brownhave all come from uniteds youth ranks recently

O' Shea hardly fills me with confidence, Brown has played almost 150 times for Man Utd, a period of time which involved at least one serious injury, so he is hardly new to the scene. Fletcher does admitedly look like a good prospect.

Emmet
19/05/2004, 7:02 AM
I know that O'Shea has looked suspect in some internationals - Switzerland especially - but I reckon he is going to be a real class player in two or three seasons' time. One thing Alex Ferguson has shown time and time again is that he is an excellent judge of a player's potential....hopefully he's right about Miller too!!

www.irelandshirts.com

Pat O' Banton
19/05/2004, 12:43 PM
I know that O'Shea has looked suspect in some internationals - Switzerland especially - but I reckon he is going to be a real class player in two or three seasons' time. One thing Alex Ferguson has shown time and time again is that he is an excellent judge of a player's potential....hopefully he's right about Miller too!!

www.irelandshirts.com

Ferguson, judge of players my ars*, I'll have you know that Barca's most successful season in recent years was when I guided them to the La Liga and the European Cup on Championship Manager. And I didn't sign Forlan :p.
Don't get me while I can't stand Man Utd. for Ireland's sake I hope that Ferguson is right.

NeilMcD
19/05/2004, 1:38 PM
what a classic using championship manager to back up your argument.

Pat O' Banton
19/05/2004, 1:59 PM
FFS, I was messing

sylvo
19/05/2004, 2:17 PM
Are you not supposed to be helping people out the moment insted of picking fight's. :cool:

Pat O' Banton
19/05/2004, 2:31 PM
Yeah but my Burberry baseball cap was calling.

Anyway what about Lizzie's important mail? ;)

Emmet
19/05/2004, 5:13 PM
what a classic using championship manager to back up your argument.

Hey - don't knock Championship Manager......I kid you not, this is a true story......several weeks ago I was playing it......I was the manager of Ireland, we had just finished our opening match in the world cup finals when I got this message telling me that Roy Keane announced his decision to retire from international football!!! There I was with one player less than all the other countries!

The realism in these modern-day computer games can be astonishing!!!

www.irelandshirts.com

The Legend
19/05/2004, 5:41 PM
Lad, you need to go out and find yourself a woman!

Emmet
19/05/2004, 9:23 PM
Yes......I can't really argue with you there!

www.irelandshirts.com

lopez
19/05/2004, 9:44 PM
Lad, you need to go out and find yourself a woman!I've already done that and I'm still posting sh*te with you muppets. :D :D

eirebhoy
19/05/2004, 10:37 PM
www.irelandshirts.com
Emmet, Click here (http://foot.ie/profile.php?do=editsignature) and paste your irelandshirts link into the box so you don't have to keep posting it. It will be in your sig.

Emmet
20/05/2004, 7:43 AM
How do you do that? I tried for ages the other night but couldn't find out how to do it!

Emmet
20/05/2004, 12:04 PM
I've got it figured out now - thanks!

sadloserkid
21/05/2004, 11:33 AM
Er... even at the risk of dragging this back on topic, I'd have to say that I'm a bit wary of putting too much pressure on the players coming through. At 23 I don't think Miller will really get much better and I don't think he'll ever inspire much fear against quality opposition. McGeady could go on to replace Henrik Larsson at Celtic. Conversely he could become the new Mark Burchill. We have some good players coming of age at the minute but we'll have to see how they develop.

Anybody else remember Mark Kelly? Or Liam George who was bombed out of St.Pats for being crap as can be???

Plastic Paddy
21/05/2004, 11:41 AM
McGeady could go on to replace Henrik Larsson at Celtic. Conversely he could become the new Mark Burchill.

Please God let it be the former. Please! :)

Anybody else remember Mark Kelly? Or Liam George who was bombed out of St.Pats for being crap as can be???

Ahh, Mark Kelly. The Portsmouth Protegé. One cap and... :confused:

And hasn't Liam George just been released by York City as they prepare for life in the Conference?

:ball: PP

sadloserkid
21/05/2004, 11:43 AM
Ahh, Mark Kelly. The Portsmouth Protegé. One cap and... :confused:

4 caps in fact. Still never made a true impact though.

Pat O' Banton
21/05/2004, 12:08 PM
This was one of the points that I was orignally making, at Celtic there has been Donnelly, Burchill and the likes play well up front for a few games make everyone sit up and take notice then fail to fulfill. To pile international hopes on McGeady after a handful of club games is a bit unrealistic.

Bowsy
21/05/2004, 12:15 PM
And hasn't Liam George just been released by York City as they prepare for life in the Conference?

:ball: PP

Yeah, he's been let go. Feel for him though as dreadful injuries at a very important stage of his career didn't help him.

Agree with slk to a certain extent. I do believe Miller can improve a lot as 21 to about 27 is a huge period of development for any player. You cannot say the Roy Keane didn't develop massively since his time at Forest(this is not an invitation to yet another "fascinating" debate on Saipan!!). Whether he does this or not remains to be seen.
There are way too many people who think Miller is the answer to our prayers. Let's see how he develops.

drummerboy
21/05/2004, 2:27 PM
Whatever happened to Thomas Butler of Sunderland. I was looking at the Sunderland website and he is not on the list of retained professionals.

eirebhoy
21/05/2004, 2:35 PM
Whatever happened to Thomas Butler of Sunderland. I was looking at the Sunderland website and he is not on the list of retained professionals.
He still plays for them, he's injured since January AFAIK.

Bowsy
21/05/2004, 2:36 PM

Seems to have been Injured forever. Was rumour about him going to the EL I believe. Only1Kilbane should know being the Sunderland fan.

carnstien
24/05/2004, 6:21 PM
We could do with a new goalkeeper (maybe Stack might be the guy) and a central defender or 2 comnig through.

The lad McShane at Man U is supposed to be a class prospect at centre back, apparently he's far better than O'Shea was at the same age.

...And anyone who doesn't think Roy Keane has a role to play in the Irish squad anymore is living in a dream world. He is still by far our best central midfielder and I gaurentee that will still be up there with Duff when it comes to overall contribution for the World Cup qualifiers.

I'm sure plenty of you were watching the FA cup final, I thought Keane's passing and composure on the ball was a joy to behold, a truely great midfield player.

NeilMcD
25/05/2004, 9:43 AM
well whats abilty got to do with it, we cdont need class players in midfield we need nice guys that give it their all in glorious failure.

lopez
25/05/2004, 10:13 AM
well whats abilty got to do with it, we cdont need class players in midfield we need nice guys that give it their all in glorious failure.We need players that turn up. :rolleyes: