PDA

View Full Version : Russian Request - esp. interesting for Galway folk

Spudulika
08/12/2010, 5:32 PM
I've been asked to put something out there for Irish fans travelling over to Russia next year for the Euro qualifier. As some of you may know there are lots of links between Ireland and Russia, mostly it's children of emigrants or wild geese, Irish men were very important in the old Imperial military, however a number of Irish were well known in Russia and for many of the Russian elite they loved Ireland and Irish culture. One of the biggest fans of Ireland and all things Irish was Vladimir Ulyanov (Lenin) who encountered Robert Ffrench from Monivea, Galway in his home town, then called Simbirsk.

Ffrench married a local aristocrat and had a daughter Kathleen/Ekaterina with her and both are now buried in the family tomb in Monivea. Anyway, the city bred two of the key people behind the removal of the aristocrats from Russia, Kerensky and Lenin, whose fathers worked together (Lenin's father was the subordinate) and benefitted from the largesse of the moderniser Kathleen who is still viewed with some affection in the city. The city is now named Ulyanovsk (after it's greatest son) and lies on the Volga.

A book was published a couple of months ago about the last holder of the Kindiakov family titles and lands. The local football club, Volga Ulyanovsk (I've been consulting for them since 2005) want to extend an invitation to Irish fans to visit around the Russia-Ireland game and there will be a timetable/schedule issued for events in January. I just wanted to mention it in advance on the forum in case anyone is interested in coming down to visit and I can fill in some details.

Travelwise it's pretty straightforward, there are numerous direct flights out of Moscow, the costs vary from 100euros return to 300euros return. It takes an hour and a half. There is also an overnight train which will set you back c. 50euros return, it's pretty comfortable and interesting, though it would mean a 3 day trip, I usually use the train on one leg and the plane on the other. Hotel costs are low there and you'd pay 30-40 a night for a decent room.

If anyone feels an inkling and would like some more info just fire me a PM and I'll respond as fully as possible.

Claret Murph
09/12/2010, 6:53 AM
Well you learn something new every day ......

IsMiseSean
11/12/2010, 2:25 PM
Never knew Lenin had a connection with Galway, interesting stuff!

Spudulika
11/12/2010, 9:38 PM
The kicker in the story is this - when the Bolshies came in to Ulyanovsk, they sent an advance "storm" group - yes same name the nazi's gave their louts 15 plus years later - who made straight for the home and library of Kathleen. Only a few books were salvaged by the Lady and her servants before they were run out of town, the rest were transported back to Ryazan and later Moscow for Lenin's private library. They included a first editions by Swift, Wilde as well as dozens of Irish language books. Lenin likened the fight between the Reds and Whites to that between the Tuatha De Dannann and the Fir Bolgs, I never read who was who though.