PDA

View Full Version : Snow !!

Pages : [1] 2

the 12 th man
02/12/2010, 11:07 AM
I'm in West Wicklow,2-3 foot deep in estate,can't even get car out onto the main rd.

How about where you live?

passinginterest
02/12/2010, 11:12 AM
Reckon we're getting close to 2 foot in Tallaght. Our decking has disappearead at this stage. I wouldn't even try to get the car out of the garden, never mind out of the estate. The roads that are being driven on have a good few inches of solid ice on top and are absoluely lethal.

I was sitting on a Luas at the Red Cow yesterday and we were looking down at the slip road onto the M50 at about 5.30, most of the cars were sliding pretty dramatically as they tried to get down the slip safely, but one small white van was having serious difficulty, it just missed the barrier, jerked back towards the middle and was still sliding, the passenger door then opened and I think they were considering bailing out on the move, lost sight then! Mayhem.

osarusan
02/12/2010, 11:13 AM
None whatsoever visible from my place in Limerick. There has been some over the past few days, but it didn't really settle. None on the mountains either. Bright sunshine (without any warmth) at the moment.

superfrank
02/12/2010, 11:25 AM
In my garden in Bray it's about five or six inches deep. At some places, you can't see the curb from the road the snow is so thick.

Someone was telling me it took her five hours to drive home from Dublin to Dunboyne last night.

pineapple stu
02/12/2010, 11:26 AM
Five inches in Greystones. Feel very inadequate. :(

Mr A
02/12/2010, 11:29 AM
Rone small white van was having serious difficulty, it just missed the barrier, jerked back towards the middle and was still sliding, the passenger door then opened and I think they were considering bailing out on the move, lost sight then! Mayhem.

Yet I'll bet the fecker was on the phone the whole time.

Only a skimming here in Galway. Side roads and estates have compacted layers of snow on them and are pretty dangerous.

dahamsta
02/12/2010, 11:39 AM
Lovely in east Cork. Sun melting the remainder away. Cold though.

Real ale Madrid
02/12/2010, 11:42 AM
Here in belgium, it snowed all night but still not as much as the east coast at home. Bitterly cold -7 but wind chill at about -15.

Supposed to be collecting the missus at Schipol airport this evening - but there were 600kms of traffic tailbacks in Holland this morning - I can't leave her there - can I ?

strangeirish
02/12/2010, 12:27 PM
None in Florida:cool:

the 12 th man
02/12/2010, 12:36 PM
None in Florida:cool:

Jammy Bar steward :D:cool:

Candystripe
02/12/2010, 12:44 PM
Only a few feet here in Derry, -5 is the high today so not to bad.It's been -9 at night since last Sat and one of the fastest flowing rivers in Europe (river Foyle) is starting to have icebergs on it for the 2nd time this year. :)

Schumi
02/12/2010, 12:51 PM
16-17cm in South Dublin (~6.5 inches for any Yanks reading). I thought there was more.

thischarmingman
02/12/2010, 12:52 PM
About 2 inches on my doorstep today in London. Thank God I don't rely on public transport to get to work.

Wonder if anyone will be brave enough to jump in fountains in Trafalgar Square a la 2005 should England get the World Cup.

Macy
02/12/2010, 2:02 PM
Getting on for 2 foot up here in the Wicklow Mountains - more where it's drifted. Real powdery stuff though - crap for snowballs/ snowmen. Tomorrow looks like it could be brutal though, if the rain falls as (wet) snow up here as predicted. The second or third period of heavy snow earlier in the year brought down trees, power lines etc. No power means no water and no heating.

Road ok here, as there's a council depot half a mile up the road (they're not gritting that often on this stretch, but the bit of heavy traffic clears it quickly once it is gritted). But we are on the main road - those down lanes are screwed. Wouldn't chance getting down off the mountains, and there's a lot more exposed stretches between us and the N11. I think I'd get down alright, it's getting back up that's the problem. The council normally get the roads clear ok to be fair, but when it effects Bray and Greystones we fall down the priority list (rightly so).

Made it in earlier in the week - worst part of the 30 miles was the couple hundred yards in the industrial estate around the job!

SkStu
02/12/2010, 2:16 PM
Five inches in Greystones. Feel very inadequate. :(

its not how big it is Stu, its what you do with it...

http://image20.webshots.com/20/2/90/32/231729032jKJHAF_ph.jpg

by the way - here is my patio table and chairs last sunday.

http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/1767/snowys.jpg

pineapple stu
02/12/2010, 2:25 PM
Pretty much a blizzard in south Dublin now. Really really nice.

dahamsta
02/12/2010, 2:30 PM
by the way - here is my patio table and chairs last sunday.

Mmmmm, patio table cake...

culloty82
02/12/2010, 2:33 PM
Snow almost non-existent in Tralee, only really fell on Saturday, but nights are sub-zero, so lawns and footpaths still icy.

SkStu
02/12/2010, 2:46 PM
Mmmmm, patio table cake...

its like a giant coconut cream.... mmmm giant coconut cream...

dahamsta
02/12/2010, 2:54 PM
You'll have to dye it pink the next time.

endabob1
02/12/2010, 7:09 PM
26 and toasty in Cape Town today :-)

BonnieShels
02/12/2010, 7:45 PM
Was due to fly from Edinburgh to Dublin on Monday. Cancelled. Was due to do the same yesterday. Cancelled. Flew Glasgow to Belfast last night. Not a screed if snow or ice on the ground in Belfast. *******os. Got to Kilcock this evening after 29 hours travelling and there was knee high snow and over a foot on the car roof.
Hate the stuff now.

Bluebeard
03/12/2010, 2:34 AM
People were giving out about the cold today in Los Angeles. It was about 23 or 24 celcius at noon. Silly bathstuds.

Billsthoughts
03/12/2010, 10:17 AM
Brian Cowen - "We are a resiliant people"
Irish people - "Arghh, snow!!!"

John83
03/12/2010, 10:57 AM
Arrived home from Mexico yesterday. So. Very. Cold.

geysir
08/12/2010, 10:39 PM
Felt warm this morning -2C, -13C last night when I took the dog out for a very quick walk.

I wouldn't mind a bit of snow so I can take my 32" 4wd though its real paces. Give the low differentials a bit of a work out.

Macy
09/12/2010, 8:22 AM
We had -14.8C, but last night didn't get much below freezing, so already thawing. Trying to get up the mountains on Tuesday was mental. Got up once I got a clear run at it, but think I'll have to look at additional options tyre wise.

BonnieShels
09/12/2010, 8:35 AM
Car was parked at the gf's house the last few nights. I had parked in a snowless dry spot but could I get the thing out last night without slip and shudder, could I hell. Couldn't get it over a 2 inch divot without the most ridiculous driving. Traction on or off made no diff. Gotta shovel the driveway later. Boo.

Due a new set of tyres anyway. Micksgarage have a set of snow covers for tyres on the front page of their site. Check it out. They may not be good enough for your local terrain Macy but they're a good solution for city and suburban driving in Ireland.

geysir
09/12/2010, 9:04 AM
The old VW beetle with rwd/rear engine was one of the best 2wd cars I have driven in the snow. The sheer fun factor turning corners at speed is hard to better. Man and car become bonded.
I think it's mad to drive without snow tyres in snow or ice. You can take a short cut and just have the 2 driven wheels fitted with snow tyres. If you have rear wheel drive, then add to snow tyre traction by putting 2 or 3 cement bags in the boot or if you can tolerate it - the mother in law in the backseat.

bennocelt
09/12/2010, 9:27 AM
16-17cm in South Dublin (~6.5 inches for any Yanks reading). I thought there was more.

Not just yanks, I go by inches as do most I know:D

feck all snow over in West london at all, damn!!!

Macy
09/12/2010, 9:51 AM
Micksgarage have a set of snow covers for tyres on the front page of their site. Check it out. They may not be good enough for your local terrain Macy but they're a good solution for city and suburban driving in Ireland.
Snow socks or chains are only really a "get me home" option. Not ruled out yet though, as once "up" the roads aren't too bad.

I think it's mad to drive without snow tyres in snow or ice. You can take a short cut and just have the 2 driven wheels fitted with snow tyres.
I've resisted winter tyres since I moved to the mountains, but beginning to rethink given the prolonged spell last winter and now this winter already. We're well into the second week now. Also thinking about "All weathers" as a compromise. From what I've read, only changing 2 wheels is quite a short cut and negates a lot of the benefit. Unfortunately a lot comes down to money - I'm sure now isn't the time to be buying Winter tyres!

geysir
09/12/2010, 11:22 AM
2 winter tyres on the driven wheels gives more traction to the driven wheels and increases the overall safety, that is beyond doubt. Of course it is better and safer to have 4.
Don't waste your money on all-weather tyres for the purpose of getting better traction on snow/icy roads and living in a hilly area.

When conditions permit you replace the winter tyres with regular tyres. The traction benefits of winter tyres gradually deteriorate after 5,000km of use. It is not just the depth and softness of the thread that gives you the traction but also the material composition. That material is present in the outer layer of the thread.

Macy
09/12/2010, 1:05 PM
When conditions permit you replace the winter tyres with regular tyres. The traction benefits of winter tyres gradually deteriorate after 5,000km of use. It is not just the depth and softness of the thread that gives you the traction but also the material composition. That material is present in the outer layer of the thread.
I get the swapping back in the summer, but thought I'd get longer out of the winter tyres to be honest. I was considering part worn. Mind you, even post 5000km would have to be better summer tyres.

geysir
09/12/2010, 3:12 PM
Maybe I should make myself more clear. For 5k you have optimum grip, after that - between 5k -20k you have 75% of the optimum grip - going down to 50%. Thats why you would change them to summer tyres as soon as you hit early spring feb - you would want to preserve the traction quality.
But even at 20k, there is still better traction with a snow tyre than a brand new all-weather.
Then when you think that they're on their last threads - traction wise, you can just leave them on in early spring time, until they go bald.
All-Weather are a compromise, but a poor compromise in my experience, the thread material is too hard and your car will be sliding like a dog on ice.

Schumi
09/12/2010, 6:22 PM
Not just yanks, I go by inches as do most I know:D

I can't believe it took a full week for someone to bite!

BonnieShels
09/12/2010, 7:28 PM
Ad at the top of the page is for those snow shoes from Micksgarage.
Google's watching.

Bluebeard
09/12/2010, 8:55 PM
The one at the side of the page is asking me "Which snow tires are best". In sunny New Orleans. Google's not infallible yet.

BonnieShels
09/12/2010, 9:24 PM
You just had to get Noo Awlins in there didn't ya... gloating b*stard! :)

legendz
16/12/2010, 2:31 PM
The snow is to make a comeback tonight. I hope it comes and thaws before Christmas Eve, otherwise travel will be a nightmare that day.

Macy
16/12/2010, 2:37 PM
The only place I could source winter tyres from could only give me two, so went with the snow socks instead for this winter, and have the reminder set for August 2011 to get sorted for next winter! Plan is to source a spare set of rims and the have them available to swap - should get a 3 or 4 winters out of them. Although, I doubt it'll be as hard to get them in future years - I doubt the tyre manufacturers will get caught short again next winter.

tetsujin1979
16/12/2010, 6:32 PM
have to drive from Dublin to Limerick on saturday, so hope it stay someway clear
it has been indicated that motorways will be given priority for gritting

culloty82
17/12/2010, 7:50 AM
Fairly heavy snow in Kerry now, I'd say it'll carry on for the morning at least.

the 12 th man
21/12/2010, 9:12 AM
Back with a bang :wilt:,anybody in Dublin City centre to confirm driving conditions?

(AA roadwatch seems to be the same report every day)

passinginterest
21/12/2010, 9:24 AM
Main roads around the city are pretty clear. Traffic is a bit all over the place as you might expect. The snow has stopped again for the moment at least. RTE live updates have been pretty good http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1221/weather.html

the 12 th man
21/12/2010, 1:10 PM
It took me 2 hours last night to get from Georges St to Ranelagh bridge,a journey of about 1 mile :eek:

passinginterest
21/12/2010, 1:20 PM
Tell me about it. I got on a bus on Geroge's St at 5 and only got to Tallaght at 7.40. Lesson 1. I should have got the Luas. Thank God I had a decent book. Roads have deteriorated a lot in the last few hours, it's going to be mental this eveining again. I'm out of here at 4 and straight down to the Luas.

pineapple stu
21/12/2010, 1:27 PM
Took me 40 minutes to get home yesterday. That's compared to a typical of - ooh, 40 minutes. I love the DART!

8 inches and counting in South Dublin at the moment. And it's the nicest snow I've ever seen - soft, deep and clean. Tis only lovely out.

passinginterest
21/12/2010, 1:39 PM
It is lovely snow. No matter how annoying the travel and slipping around is I still smile when I look out the window at the winter wonderland outside, it's once in a generation type stuff (hopefully).

the 12 th man
21/12/2010, 2:51 PM
Bah humbug,I hate snow.

BonnieShels
21/12/2010, 9:24 PM
Took me 40 minutes to get home yesterday. That's compared to a typical of - ooh, 40 minutes. I love the DART!

8 inches and counting in South Dublin at the moment. And it's the nicest snow I've ever seen - soft, deep and clean. Tis only lovely out.

Slight delays today but got from Dun Laoghaire to Kilcock in 2 hours. It could normally take an hour and a half. Fair dues to Iarnród Éireann though. I don't think I'll be seeing the mother for a few days.