PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Independent Article By Eamonn Sweeney

sligored
22/11/2010, 10:32 PM
This has been posted in the cup final thread but i think it deserves its own place as it gives a real insight into success at the end of trying times for any league of ireland fan and is as feeling that i hope all league of ireland fans have felt in the past or may feel in the future.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-sports/only-sport-can-do-this-to-you-2429296.html

shantykelly
22/11/2010, 10:34 PM
as posted elsewhere, i threw out my copy of the sindo thanks to wille o'dea. thank you you little limerick *****, that would have been a good pick me up on a sunday morning.

hoopy
23/11/2010, 4:30 PM
Ryan is the player who all season had been the fulcrum around which our passing game turned, the straw that stirred the drink, the conductor of the orchestra.

I wonder if Ryan'll get an extra few quid next season. After all he was 'officially' on ?350 last season.

sligored
23/11/2010, 11:29 PM
I wonder if Ryan'll get an extra few quid next season. After all he was 'officially' on ?350 last season.

I know it is hard to fathom but ryan was very lucky to get a contract with sligo this year as he was very poor in 2009 due to a hip injury.
He only played the 2009 cup final because ogrady was suspended- however i dont know but i hope he was rewarded for his great season by the sligo mc, or else we have no hope of keeping the 2010 player of the year for 2011.
Quality does not come cheap but i hope we keep richie.

Rasputin
24/11/2010, 7:51 AM
His contract was cut in half at the start of last season because he was terrible the season before.
But that was largely due to the injury he had so cant really fault the lad.
But as Sligored said he was very lucky to be even offered a contract at the start of last season.

razor
24/11/2010, 10:32 AM
Read it last night and it nearly brought a tear to my eye.
Its the moments like these that we all live for and will never ever forget.
Good man Sweeney. delighted for you.

Straightstory
24/11/2010, 11:13 AM
Yes - lovely, heartwarming piece.

geezer
24/11/2010, 11:53 AM
piece, as a 34 year long supporter of the LOI i really enjoyed that piece as it encapsulated perfectly how a person can feel and what these things mean to people.
Hats off to the man, He wrote some things about my club which i took offence to at the time but he was bang on the money in hindsight now.. He knows his sport

dong
24/11/2010, 1:23 PM

If he stays with us he probably will.
If he moves to Shams then probably not because you're only a part time club.

Lim till i die
24/11/2010, 1:50 PM
If he stays with us he probably will.
If he moves to Shams then probably not because you're only a part time club.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ji-cT58rgNc

poster
24/11/2010, 5:41 PM
he was 'officially' on €350 last season.

Believe it or not, (and I know you all probably won't), but it was alot less than that.

Red4Eva
24/11/2010, 8:39 PM
Article from this time last year

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/kendrick-is-forced-back-on-the-road-1961146.html

Meanwhile, Kendrick's Sligo team-mate Richie Ryan could also be on the move. He is out of contract after his second season with Rovers and has been offered a new deal by Sligo, but on reduced terms, and Ryan is unsure of his next move.

"I have to look at my options now," says Ryan, who joined Sligo last year after a spell with Belgian club Royal Antwerp.

"There is the offer of a new contract from Sligo but it's on lesser wages that last season and none of us were on big money to begin with.

"I have enjoyed it at Sligo and I think I have played well so I will wait and see what happens in the next few weeks."

Nah Nah Nah Nah
25/11/2010, 2:08 PM
He'll certainly be getting a rise if he stays with us. Deservedly so just as he deservedly took a cut after 2009.

Doesn't sound like he'll be hanging around though

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/player-of-year-ryan-sets-sights-on-move-abroad-2434747.html