PDA

View Full Version : How Bad is Galways Bad?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Lim till i die
22/11/2010, 2:59 PM
What's the story (http://foot.ie/threads/144387-ET-Galway-United-Supporters-Trust-call-emergency-meeting)

Sean Connor was in the paper not three weeks ago asking for extra funding to push on. :bulgy:

Are we talking Bohs/Limerick/Derry/Shels/Cork levels of nonsense here or more of a Sligo style poor mouth drive?? :ball:

bluemovie
22/11/2010, 3:11 PM
€900,000 is pretty bad. Not quite IMF bad, but Kilkenny dropped out over 50 grand.

Schumi
22/11/2010, 3:13 PM
GUST believe that total debts in the club have now reached €900,000Sounds pretty bad. It's not mentioned what level the debt was at before this year though.

Fivesilver
22/11/2010, 3:16 PM
€900,000?

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:olGALqLc4QtgqM:http://images.clipartof.com/thumbnails/22161-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Yellow-Emoticon-Face-With-A-Frown-Gritting-Its-Teeth-And-Sweating-While-Stressing-Out.jpg&t=1

Good luck Galway - seriously.

Rasputin
22/11/2010, 3:17 PM
Well galway are ****ed so.

Sean South
22/11/2010, 3:25 PM
How did these roasters get a debt of 900 grand?

Mr A
22/11/2010, 3:30 PM
That debt level is so high that it nearly seems like time to plan the next GUFC rather than throw good money after bad. That depends though on how much of that debt is owed to former directors etc who never really expect to see the money anyway.

Sounds like the club is on the verge of meltdown, hope it can be turned around.

Fester
22/11/2010, 3:35 PM
I cant take any more bad news!!

Lim till i die
22/11/2010, 3:36 PM
Nick Leeson brings down much beloved, ancient, institution, by spending crazy money (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barings_Bank)

geezer
22/11/2010, 3:53 PM
it is urgent. GUST have gone out of their way to work with club but it has proved practically impossible to extract correct information. The board have a lot to answer for for letting a one man band situation develop again. Clubs of this size dont need ceo, a decent administrator who keeps the bloody head down and does what they are told is suffice.

750k of that debt is belong personally to directors so about 220k is real with about 70k serious enough to impact licencing. The Galway public had voted with their feet and were not prepared to support a bookless operation. Proof of the waste/shocking administration and downright stupidity garnered over the last 12 months is what has brought the club to its knees. No one meant this to happen but the smallest effort and accounting would have nipped this. Everone and their granny seemingly was offering services to GUFC and the bills are coming down like confetti now. We have never won a League, only a paltry fai cup and 2 league cups over 35 years its no wonder our support is small but it is loyal and now also is generational. The other 2 clubs in Galway have not affected crowds one iota, the worry was commercial sponsorship but that has collapsed for everyone anyway.

Im confident we will get out of this

Lim till i die
22/11/2010, 3:57 PM
I wonder who the one player the GUST were paying is. :D

passerrby
22/11/2010, 4:06 PM
bit unfair geezer that one man has worked his backside off for the club

gael353
22/11/2010, 4:20 PM
i wonder who the one LOI club is :D

gufcfan
22/11/2010, 4:25 PM
bit unfair geezer that one man has worked his backside off for the club
This is simply not true and geezer is being relatively kind.

passerrby
22/11/2010, 6:16 PM
are you saying he hasnt ,in my expereince one mand bands develope when people dont step up and one man ends up carrying the burden

Guitd
22/11/2010, 6:24 PM
are you saying he hasnt ,in my expereince one mand bands develope when people dont step up and one man ends up carrying the burden

this is true too some extent our directors and chairman didnt seem to be in tune/control of what was happening withen the club ,i heard some members/directors didnt even know what players remained on our books at the season end

WoodquayBoy
22/11/2010, 6:27 PM
i wonder who the one LOI club is :D#
I'd imagine Salthill Devon, an old debt for the use of their facilities at Drom for training

dfx-
22/11/2010, 6:38 PM
Roche-y should get onto his direct line to Mr. Delaney and get them to cancel their debt for services to the league..

geezer
22/11/2010, 7:15 PM

When the czar knows everything about everything and tells the natives they know nothing can sometimes drive away people....whatever the reason a disaster has unfolded

A N Mouse
22/11/2010, 8:13 PM
A whole page and nobody's mentioned dvds yet? :D

horton
22/11/2010, 9:12 PM
Bloody FAI. I don't understand how they can justify paying Delaney €430,000 every year when nearly every club in the league is experiencing money issues. Do clubs not have to submit regular account info to them regularly? Why didn't anyone notice earlier about what was going on at Bohs/Derry and well, now Galway? A N Mouse, I think Galway should be asking Bohs fans for fundraising ideas, maybe a few whip arounds down the pub might solve things:p

gufcfan
22/11/2010, 9:36 PM
A whole page and nobody's mentioned dvds yet? :D
http://www.investz.com/images/imovies_enlarge7.jpg

eamo1
22/11/2010, 9:37 PM
A few season's ago when Tony Cousin's was manager Galway Utd had the best structure's in place probably of any club at the time.An executive meeting took place every Monday or every second Monday with different sub committee's operating well.Then gradually bit by bit those structure's collapsed and everything to do with the club started to go through one man.That man made some poor business decision's(20 euro for a match ticket and 5 euro EXTRA for a stand ticket:confused:) and slowly but surely the club started to bleed fan's and thus money.
It has to be said the club didnt offer "dual contracts" or anything and did let players go when they were in danger of going over budget,unlike certain other club's.

pineapple stu
22/11/2010, 10:13 PM
It has to be said the club [...] did let players go when they were in danger of going over budget
When ye were in danger of going over budget? You mean a 900k hole was in your budget?!

It's hard to feel sorry for Galway in a way. What is it now - three seasons in a row they've had cash/budget problems midway through the season and had to let their best players go? Can no-one in this league ever learn a simple lesson, or are we doomed to see the same mistake repeated ad infinitum? It's just retarded.

Best of luck to the trust though. Are they basically looking to step up to the plate and take control of the club? (And apologies if that was in the original press release...)

gufcfan
22/11/2010, 10:54 PM
Stu, I'm not giving out to you or anybody else, but it has to be pointed out that the current situation is the fault of one person and one person only.

Ridiculous lies have been told for years. I can't really say anything else.

SkStu
23/11/2010, 2:24 AM
termonbarry?

pineapple stu
23/11/2010, 8:48 AM
Stu, I'm not giving out to you or anybody else, but it has to be pointed out that the current situation is the fault of one person and one person only.

I'll accept that alright, which is why I'm saying best of luck to the Trust, who as far as I can see have been supporting the club but not centrally involved the past few years, and now look like they want to deal properly with things.

I suppose my frustration is that this has been building for years. Galway have been running up steady six-figure losses since "promotion" (despite some fans on here trying to tell us they have the lowest budget in the Premier). So again, I suppose, it comes down to the question of what the hell were the FAI Licencing department doing while all this was building up?

passerrby
23/11/2010, 9:00 AM
I'll accept that alright, which is why I'm saying best of luck to the Trust, who as far as I can see have been supporting the club but not centrally involved the past few years, and now look like they want to deal properly with things.

I suppose my frustration is that this has been building for years. Galway have been running up steady six-figure losses since "promotion" (despite some fans on here trying to tell us they have the lowest budget in the Premier). So again, I suppose, it comes down to the question of what the hell were the FAI Licencing department doing while all this was building up?

making sure all clubs where compliing with all other rules other than financial

gufcfan
23/11/2010, 9:06 AM
I suppose my frustration is that this has been building for years. Galway have been running up steady six-figure losses since "promotion" (despite some fans on here trying to tell us they have the lowest budget in the Premier).
The people saying that we had the lowest budget (or near enough) were not incorrect. Crazy money (relative to what we can afford) was spent on players in the past, but this was not the case in the last couple of years, in my opinion.

So again, I suppose, it comes down to the question of what the hell were the FAI Licencing department doing while all this was building up?
I'm usually one of the first people to bash the FAI over licensing, but it would be ridiculous to lay the blame solely at their door in this case. Again, I'll have to leave it at that.

pineapple stu
23/11/2010, 9:10 AM
I'm not blaming the FAI solely. There's a few people to blame. The FAI are one of them. The Galway board are also to blame.

I'd be surprised if your budget was lower than our or Bray's for starters to be honest. Ye've bigger crowds, an active trust and a big loss (i.e. spending more money than ye're earning, so increasing the budget further) for starters. I'll be open to correction on it obviously, but I don't believe it.

gufcfan
23/11/2010, 9:27 AM
I'm not blaming the FAI solely. There's a few people to blame. The FAI are one of them. The Galway board are also to blame.

I'd be surprised if your budget was lower than our or Bray's for starters to be honest. Ye've bigger crowds, an active trust and a big loss (i.e. spending more money than ye're earning, so increasing the budget further) for starters. I'll be open to correction on it obviously, but I don't believe it.
When I say budget, I'm referring to the playing budget. At the start of the season, our budget would have been more than Bray's, but the second half of the season we almost certainly had a lower budget than Bray.

Captain2007
23/11/2010, 10:22 AM
When I say budget, I'm referring to the playing budget. At the start of the season, our budget would have been more than Bray's, but the second half of the season we almost certainly had a lower budget than Bray.

That's only because you now owe the players 70k....promises, promises, some players are so naive.

geezer
23/11/2010, 11:03 AM
I'm not blaming the FAI solely. There's a few people to blame. The FAI are one of them. T I'll be open to correction on it obviously, but I don't believe it.

You have hit the nail on the head, The budgeting was thrown out the window and a free for all ensued, well before the end of the season GUST stepped in to keep buses, and suppliers paid just to make sure the club fulfilled its fixture list.

All we want to do now is move on put in a simple book keeping system, purchasing system and GUST have offered a Club secretary, Treasurer and PRO to get things back on track, get licence ready and take our place at the starting line.

gufcfan
23/11/2010, 11:36 AM
That's only because you now owe the players 70k....promises, promises, some players are so naive.
Wages due to players isn't even in 5 figures.

WoodquayBoy
23/11/2010, 11:51 AM

Before you start throwing barbs, at least get your facts right. Have you not a wall somewhere that needs rebuilding?

gufcfan
23/11/2010, 12:12 PM
Before you start throwing barbs, at least get your facts right. Have you not a wall somewhere that needs rebuilding?
Which raised the central insurance premium for all clubs...

Let the **** slinging commence!

(anything to distract people from the issue at hand)

historynut
23/11/2010, 12:26 PM
Maybe Galway & Bohs should follow the example of the government and seek foreign assistance !

gufcfan
23/11/2010, 12:37 PM
Maybe Galway & Bohs should follow the example of the government and seek foreign assistance !
No thank you. Our CEO has given us enough foreign assistance to last us a lifetime.

L.T.F.C.
23/11/2010, 12:58 PM

Wait. You're blaming 900k of debt on one man? Was there no one else there? No one else involved in the club that saw what was going on?

L.T.F.C.
23/11/2010, 1:05 PM
Bloody FAI. I don't understand how they can justify paying Delaney €430,000 every year when nearly every club in the league is experiencing money issues. Do clubs not have to submit regular account info to them regularly? Why didn't anyone notice earlier about what was going on at Bohs/Derry and well, now Galway? A N Mouse, I think Galway should be asking Bohs fans for fundraising ideas, maybe a few whip arounds down the pub might solve things:p

It has nothing got to do with the FAI or how much they're paying Delaney. Moreover, Delaney isn't the one that that checks the accounts is it? No.
It is only Galway's fault and theirs alone.

geezer
23/11/2010, 1:22 PM
It has nothing got to do with the FAI or how much they're paying Delaney. Moreover, Delaney isn't the one that that checks the accounts is it? No.

100% right

Schumi
23/11/2010, 1:59 PM
Why was Leeson given all this power (going on Galway fans' posts here, he was pretty much in charge of everything)? With his past, surely it's pretty obvious that there should have been someone keeping an eye on what he was doing.

Lim till i die
23/11/2010, 2:03 PM
He was the Bees Knees not so long ago, now he's EVIL it's all very confusing.

osarusan
23/11/2010, 2:26 PM

In most leagues this would be the case. But the FAI have given themselves the power of quite a lot of oversight to stop clubs shooting themselves in the foot. Is this something that should have been picked up by the FAI? Or was it spending of a different kind?

superjohnny
23/11/2010, 2:43 PM
He was the Bees Knees not so long ago, now he's EVIL it's all very confusing.

not even the spiders ankles now.... BOOM..!!!!!!!1

L.T.F.C.
23/11/2010, 2:49 PM
In most leagues this would be the case. But the FAI have given themselves the power of quite a lot of oversight to stop clubs shooting themselves in the foot. Is this something that should have been picked up by the FAI? Or was it spending of a different kind?

Then what is the point of a league, of clubs, of committees and supporters clubs? If the FAI are going to run the thing, then there is no point to any of this. Wait! They don't run the clubs. Clubs have to be self-sufficient and can't be molly-coddled but the FAI.

The blame does not, I repeat does not lie with the FAI, Delaney or his pay-cheque. Maybe the FAI should have picked up on it, but if anyone from Galway blames the FAI, I'm glad the club is in debt.

pineapple stu
23/11/2010, 2:58 PM
It's already been shown that clubs are largely incompetent at running themselves. The point of licencing was to force clubs to focus on medium- and long-term benefits and not just always look at the short term. In that regard, the FAI are absolutely to blame for not stopping this earlier. Whoever within Galway United is obviously more to blame, but the FAI can't be let off the hook that lightly in my opinion.

Lim till i die
23/11/2010, 3:07 PM
Let's not forget Galway are the model First Division clubs were repeatedly told to follow :bulgy:

The Original Model Club if you will.

White Horse
23/11/2010, 3:30 PM
Let's not forget Galway are the model First Division clubs were repeatedly told to follow :bulgy:

The Original Model Club if you will.

Ah yes, the club who scored 389 points out of a possible 500 in assessing off-the-field criteria by the IAG – more than any Premier Division club.

The IAG/FAI were really sold on the plan drawn up by the convicted fraudster, Nick Lesson.

prince20
23/11/2010, 4:01 PM
Ah yes, the club who scored 389 points out of a possible 500 in assessing off-the-field criteria by the IAG – more than any Premier Division club.

The IAG/FAI were really sold on the plan drawn up by the convicted fraudster, Nick Lesson.

Glad to see you dont hold any grudges against them ! :)