PDA

View Full Version : Best Albums of 2010 - (It's tradition!)

Wolfie
22/11/2010, 12:48 PM
The Suburbs - Arcade Fire
Plastic Beach - Gorillaz

stann
22/11/2010, 3:52 PM
Good few contenders this year. My faves (no doubt forgetting something):
This Is Happening - LCD Soundsystem
Plastic Beach - Gorillaz
Further - Chemical Brothers
Tomorrow Morning - Eels
The Defamation Of Strickland Banks - Plan B
Your Future Our Clutter - The Fall

Will be getting the Yeasayer and Sleigh Bells efforts in the next couple of days, still to see what they're like, hearing good things though.

bluemovie
22/11/2010, 3:55 PM
High Violet - The National
Special Moves - Mogwai
Odd Blood - Yeasayer
Crystal Castles - Crystal Castles

ken foree
22/11/2010, 8:47 PM
there can only be one winner..!

ariel pink - before today

BonnieShels
22/11/2010, 10:16 PM
You are all wrong... heh heh heh

Future Islands- In Evening Air
Maximum Balloon- Maximum Balloon

superfrank
23/11/2010, 7:11 PM
I'd go for Big Boi's debut. It's a cracker.

I haven't really got into the new Arcade Fire but it is growing on me.

The Good Son
24/11/2010, 9:24 AM
Some already mentioned that I like- Gorillaz, The National, Arcade Fire, The Fall.
Two not mentioned yet- Grinderman 2 & probably my own favourite of the year Boys Outside by Steve Mason.

TenaciousDee
10/12/2010, 10:14 PM
Again this year has been really poor for albums but what I have enjoyed were Mumford and Sons, Arcade Fire's Subarbs and Eminem's Recovery.

BonnieShels
11/12/2010, 5:34 PM
I haven't really got into the new Arcade Fire but it is growing on me.

Devoured it when it first came out. Think that Sprawl II is the song of the year potentially. Definitely Top 3 anyway.

tetsujin1979
11/12/2010, 5:50 PM
Devoured it when it first came out. Think that Sprawl II is the song of the year potentially. Definitely Top 3 anyway.
yeah, it's my favourite on the album as well. Saw it described recently as the best 80's track not written in the 80's! She gave it some airing at the gig last week.
Lot of classic tunes on it - Ready to start, City with no children, We used to wait - all would be in the top 10 tracks of the year if they were singles.

BonnieShels
11/12/2010, 11:09 PM
I started singing and you told me to stop,
Quit these pretentious things and just punch the clock...

Only reason I wanted to see them last week was to hear that live. It's a mighty fine description of that song. Her voice on it makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck everytime. I remember the night when I first got the album and I listened to it straight through to give it the chance I never gave Neon Bible and then I heard it and it was like a shot in the arm; and I listened to it over and over and over straight for a half hour if not more.
The last time I remember doing that for a song was 'Peach Plum Pear' by Joanna Newsom. Still to this day I think no song comes close to making me feel the way that does when I hear it.

I still think pound for pound that Future Islands' album, 'In Evening Air' is the shiz of the year and I urge anyone who hasn't got it to get it. It's an aural masterpiece and a voice you'll never here anywhere else. Amazing.

Pauro 76
13/12/2010, 12:39 PM
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
Astonishing album. I'll be listening to it for years to come...

Honourable mentions: Chemical Brothers 'Further', Foals 'Total Life Forever', Gorillaz 'Plastic Beach' and I'm really liking My Chemical Romance 'Danger Days' to my surprise....

bluemovie
13/12/2010, 4:02 PM
Again this year has been really poor for albums but what I have enjoyed were Mumford and Sons, Arcade Fire's Subarbs and Eminem's Recovery.

Can I spark a bit of controversy? Mumford and Sons - possibly the worst band ever?

Seeing as we won't be playing ye next year, at least this will give us something to argue about.

BonnieShels
13/12/2010, 8:47 PM
One of the more overrated bands. I think that The Fratellis were worse.

Finally got my hands ona legit copy of Queen of Denmark today.
oh my god, John Grant is a serious serious talent.
Amazing stuff.

TenaciousDee
13/12/2010, 9:33 PM
Can I spark a bit of controversy? Mumford and Sons - possibly the worst band ever?

Seeing as we won't be playing ye next year, at least this will give us something to argue about.
Haha thankfully because that drive down last year was a pain. I know people have their own tastes but I wouldn't call them the worst band I have ever heard. I enjoyed the album as it was something different to be released into the mainstream. Personally I am getting sick of these U2 tribute bands like Keane, Coldplay, Embrace (these last too because Chris Martin wants to be Bono and Danny McNamara is so far up Chris Martin I don't know where they both start and finish) etc and these Madonna Tribute acts (Lady Gaga). If you want to talk ****e albums I will gladly give you 5 worse than Mumford and Sons released this year.

BonnieShels
14/12/2010, 7:10 AM
Have you been holding some deep seated hatred for Embrace?
Leave them alone, they've done nothing for about 4 or 5 years.
Concentrate on today's dirge makers.

SkStu
15/12/2010, 12:51 AM
Haha thankfully because that drive down last year was a pain. I know people have their own tastes but I wouldn't call them the worst band I have ever heard. I enjoyed the album as it was something different to be released into the mainstream. Personally I am getting sick of these U2 tribute bands like Keane, Coldplay, Embrace (these last too because Chris Martin wants to be Bono and Danny McNamara is so far up Chris Martin I don't know where they both start and finish) etc and these Madonna Tribute acts (Lady Gaga). If you want to talk ****e albums I will gladly give you 5 worse than Mumford and Sons released this year.

you go girl!

Paulie
15/12/2010, 10:54 AM
Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions. Cracking album.

Pauro 76
17/12/2010, 9:32 AM
Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions. Cracking album.

Wasn't that album 2009?

Paulie
17/12/2010, 12:37 PM
Wasn't that album 2009?

I just checked it there and you're right, it was released in November 2009. Now I'm stumped for the best album of 2010!

BonnieShels
17/12/2010, 9:53 PM
Paulie, if you heard an album in a particular year then its from that year its your album of the year. Or something to that effect.

Pauro 76
18/12/2010, 11:11 AM
Paulie, if you heard an album in a particular year then its from that year its your album of the year. Or something to that effect.

That's pretty true actually. 'Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix' is from 2009, but I've only heard it this year, so that would have been up there.

BonnieShels
18/12/2010, 6:42 PM
Pauro that you understand what I meant from that gibberish I wrote I have to commend thee.

Beavis
21/12/2010, 9:10 PM
My favourites this year were (off the top of my head and in no particular order):
Antlers - Hospice
Deerhunter - Halycon Digest
Foals - Total Life Forever
The National - High Violet
Caribou - Swim
Los Campesinos - Romance is Boring

Honourable mentions:
Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record
Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
LCD Soundsystem - This is Happening
Jonsi - Go
Holy Fook - Latin
Crystal Castles (eponymous)

total hoofball
21/12/2010, 11:08 PM
I say this every year but I really mean it this time - this was the worst year for music I can ever remember, certainly until next year anyway!

The only new album released this year I can see myself religiously listening to in 10 years time is High Violet by The National. Took me about 3,4 listens to get into it but it's on par with the magnificence of both Alligator and Boxer.

Off the top of my head The Suburbs/Arcade Fire, Four Tet/There Is Love in You, Foals/Total Life Forever were the only others I enjoyed.

Alot of average stuff was released this year but the new LCD Soundsystem, Interpol, Manics and Royksopp albums all really disappointed me.

Beavis
21/12/2010, 11:24 PM
I say this every year but I really mean it this time - this was the worst year for music I can ever remember, certainly until next year anyway!

Alot of average stuff was released this year but the new LCD Soundsystem, Interpol, Manics and Royksopp albums all really disappointed me.

I disagree that there is such thing as a bad year for music. There is so much out there that is always some quality, you just have to throw the net wider.

Interpol are a spent force. I didn't even get the album which would have been unimaginable for me four years ago following Antics and TOTBL. The bits I heard sounded similar to the incredibly dissapointing third album. I'm resigned to the fact that the success has ruined them.

LCD Soundsytem was a credible effort though, quality at EP too.

stann
22/12/2010, 8:19 AM
This Is Happening for me also was quality, probably my favourite of the year following an intense tussle with Gorillaz and Sleigh Bells and a late surge by Future Islands (thanks for the tip-off BonnieShels!). Only gutted to since find out that it'll be LCD's last album.

My ten favourites of the year would be (in no particular order then bar top spot):
LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening
Gorillaz - Plastic Beach
Sleigh Bells - Treats
Future Islands - In Evening Air
Eels - Tomorrow Morning
Chemical Brothers - Further
The Fall - Your Future Our Clutter
Four Tet - There Is Love In You
Plan B - The Defamation Of Strickland Banks
Foals - Total Life Forever
More than useful outings too from Arcade Fire, Goldfrapp, Yeasayer, New Young Pony Club, Groove Armada, Pendulum, The National, Hot Chip, Faithless, Eels (again)...

Like Beavis this "worst year ever for music" we get each year makes me laugh. Truth is, of course, that there are no bad years (though I'd argue that even if there were this couldn't be counted one of them), only not-as-good ones. They can't all be 2004 after all!

gustavo
22/12/2010, 9:52 AM
I have to nominate Contra by Vampire Weekend. Lots of good tunes and every bit as good as their debut

Pauro 76
22/12/2010, 2:45 PM
Interpol are a spent force. I didn't even get the album which would have been unimaginable for me four years ago following Antics and TOTBL. The bits I heard sounded similar to the incredibly dissapointing third album. I'm resigned to the fact that the success has ruined them.

I wrote off Interpol's last album but after giving it a chance and many more listens, it's a very decent album. The National 'High Violet' is just superb, got into it quite late too.

Wolfie
23/12/2010, 12:25 PM

I highly rate "Antics" and I liked much of "Our Love to Admire".

How I've managed to miss the first album up to now is, to quote a zany German, "crazy like a malfunction to me".

However, I've just purchased and am looking forward to hearing it later, with headphones on and pint in hand.

First album comes highly recommended. All Agree??

Lev Yashin
23/12/2010, 4:49 PM
I highly rate "Antics" and I liked much of "Our Love to Admire".

How I've managed to miss the first album up to now is, to quote a zany German, "crazy like a malfunction to me".

However, I've just purchased and am looking forward to hearing it later, with headphones on and pint in hand.

First album comes highly recommended. All Agree??

LOVE the first album. The best of them in my opinion. Say hello to the angels just picks you up a pulls you through four and a half minutes of pleasure...and you could even dance to it if you were that way inclined!!

BonnieShels
24/12/2010, 11:34 AM
From start to finish TOTBL is quality. All time top ten quality.
In fact I'm going to put it on now...

Untitled and Obstacle 1 still make me drop my jaw.
Dancing to some Interpol is an experience. Love losing it Whelans to Obstacle 1.

When I saw them in Edinburgh last month they were just going through the motions. Nothing like the Antics eta Interpol. They were genuinely shocked when coming on stage at Oxegen 2004 to see that crowd in that teny. To this day its one of the greatest gigs ever. They really miss Carlos now. Highlight in Edinburgh was Say Hello to the Angels.

Wolfie, while you're at it pick up Julian Plenti is... Skyscraper. It's Paul Banks' solo album from last year.

Oh Stella...

Beavis
24/12/2010, 2:18 PM
From start to finish TOTBL is quality. All time top ten quality.
In fact I'm going to put it on now...

Untitled and Obstacle 1 still make me drop my jaw.
Dancing to some Interpol is an experience. Love losing it Whelans to Obstacle 1.

When I saw them in Edinburgh last month they were just going through the motions. Nothing like the Antics eta Interpol. They were genuinely shocked when coming on stage at Oxegen 2004 to see that crowd in that teny. To this day its one of the greatest gigs ever. They really miss Carlos now. Highlight in Edinburgh was Say Hello to the Angels.

I heard that one at Oxegen 04 one was amazing but have seen them 3 times (Oxegen and RDS) and was dissapointed with each one. It's part of the reason I'm not interested in their new offering.

TOTBL is really great though. The phrase 'dark and brooding' is always included in it's reviews and is perfectly apt. Strangely, if there is a lowlight for me it would be Say Hello to Angels. It's probably the only song on the album that lacks depth. Favourites would be Leif Erikson, Untiltled, PDA, NYC, Hands Away...ah feck it, all them.

Sullivinho
25/12/2010, 11:17 PM
Swans - 'My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky'. Michael Gira is one of those rare individuals who can do no wrong.

BonnieShels
26/12/2010, 9:40 AM
Don't know it but will spend the day searching.

monzo
28/12/2010, 4:26 PM
Didn't get that many 2010 releases so most of what I did buy compose this list:

Black Francis - The Golem (Pity it wasn't promoted properly, it's quite fantastic)
Grinderman - Grinderman II (Took a couple of listens to fully digest but it's very, very good, especially the final two tracks)
Beach House - Teen Dream (I was actually startled to discover the other day that the singer is a girl!)
Arcade Fire i The Suburbs (Stuck on for the first time a week ago, didn't care for it much, the second listen got my full attention, ruddy good effort)

sixesandsevens
10/01/2011, 7:09 PM
How come nobody has mentioned yeasayer odd blood, or beach house?? Both top quality in a very lean year for albums

ken foree
11/01/2011, 1:12 PM
Swans - 'My Father Will Guide Me Up a Rope to the Sky'. Michael Gira is one of those rare individuals who can do no wrong.

nice one sullivinho, i have some of the doomy early swans stuff which i really like but haven't got any angels of light - i think i read that the new one falls somewhere in between? it's on my list regardless, gira is definitely a singular madman. more to come from him/them i hope.

Jablonski #9
12/01/2011, 1:01 PM
The Suburbs br Arcade Fire was the standout album for me, also liked Becoming A Jackal by The Villagers and as has been mentioned High Violet by The National.