PDA

View Full Version : Papal Visit to 21st Century

Lionel Ritchie
21/11/2010, 9:43 AM
Finally acknowledging that condoms aren't just for sailors and Luftwaffe support unit personel -Pope Benedict has modified his, and by default that of his church, position on the role of condom use in preventing the spread of HIV/AIDS.

I'm going to take his acknowledgment on it's merits and call it a positive development. A long, long way to go but this makes it easier for the next guy to advocate more thorough cop on now that the principle is accepted.

I think Peter Thatchell put it best in his guarded welcome, ""The pope's comments offer a scintilla of hope that the Church's dogma are open to change,"

More here (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/aids-campaigners-welcome-pope-condom-uturn-20101121-182ho.html)

peadar1987
21/11/2010, 11:56 AM
Not often that I say good things about the cathical church, but well done Josef. Now let's see some more positive developments.

BonnieShels
21/11/2010, 12:55 PM
I was a little bit shocked when I heard it and I was looking for the caveat in statement. There want really one. This has to be welcomed. Though to me the catholic church has long had no relevance.

Eminence Grise
21/11/2010, 6:36 PM
It's moot whether he's actually just caught up with the end of the 20th Century, but like LR I'm going to take it on its merits and welcome it. Hopefully more enlightened times await.

thischarmingman
22/11/2010, 8:05 AM
It would be nice if we got to the stage where he was so disregarded this wasn't news, but the world has a long way to go.