PDA

View Full Version : Barstool facepalm

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

peadar1987
16/11/2010, 10:58 PM
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055392350

"A group of members of the Boards.IE community was looking for a club to support and chose Go Ahead Eagles out of a few selected clubs."

I mean, come on!!

BonnieShels
17/11/2010, 6:22 PM
Weirdly this has made me seeth somewhat.

Jofspring
17/11/2010, 6:29 PM
It's pretty sad to be honest.

Finlay Harp
17/11/2010, 7:12 PM
What a stupid shower of *****s. It makes you think the League of Ireland has some sort of disease that keeps people away!

ped_ped
17/11/2010, 9:43 PM
I don't think many of us have a local Irish team.

So you're supporting your local Dutch team?

dcfc_1928
18/11/2010, 6:56 AM
That reminds me of a local news story which appeared on the BBC NI evening news about 10 years ago.

A group of regulars in an Omagh bar - fed up with all the bickering about Manchester Utd, Liverpool, Celtic, Rangers etc - decided that they should pick a team that they all could support. They chose Accrington Stanley and formed a supporters club in the bar. They even organised trips over to watch the team play!

This, despite the fact, that their local Irish League side Omagh Town were struggling financially and crying out for fans. Not long afterwards, Omagh Town went out of business.

legendz
18/11/2010, 7:12 AM
It's mad alright. The money they spent on the trip could nearly have covered going to local games over a season. If someone's going across the water for a few days, I could understand wanting to take in a game but just going across for a game, it's mad really.

SupaJon
18/11/2010, 8:29 AM
By the looks of it, they're not real footie fans anyway.
The fact that they are going to 'pick' a team.
I mean seriously.....every proper footie fan knows that you don't just pick your team....it picks you!

I like the way they have listed at the top 'How to watch GA Eagles' and it is a link to watching it on a screen.
Is if actually atttending a football match would be an unthinkable experience!

peadar1987
18/11/2010, 11:56 AM
By the looks of it, they're not real footie fans anyway.
The fact that they are going to 'pick' a team.
I mean seriously.....every proper footie fan knows that you don't just pick your team....it picks you!

I like the way they have listed at the top 'How to watch GA Eagles' and it is a link to watching it on a screen.
Is if actually atttending a football match would be an unthinkable experience!

I know it's fecking hard to watch a match in the Netherlands. I'm going over at Christmas to visit the girlfriend in Leiden, and was going to go and watch ADO Den Haag play. To get a ticket, you have to be a member of the supporters club, and to join that, you have to go to the stadium, register in person, then wait for a biometric ID card to be sent out to you, and only then are you eligible to buy tickets. You can't apply online, or get anyone else to do it for you. And they're still packing out the Kyocera Stadium every matchday

superfrank
18/11/2010, 12:06 PM
I know it's fecking hard to watch a match in the Netherlands. I'm going over at Christmas to visit the girlfriend in Leiden, and was going to go and watch ADO Den Haag play. To get a ticket, you have to be a member of the supporters club, and to join that, you have to go to the stadium, register in person, then wait for a biometric ID card to be sent out to you, and only then are you eligible to buy tickets. You can't apply online, or get anyone else to do it for you. And they're still packing out the Kyocera Stadium every matchday
:confused:

I don't understand that at all. Me and Stevo Da Gull went over to a Sparta Rotterdam match a few years back and all we had to do was go into the stadium on the day and ask for them. No mention of anything like that at all.

Dodge
18/11/2010, 12:10 PM
Wouldn't worry about them lads. Bunch of nerds.

Just trying the "hey look, we're so cool & alternative"

The type of bloke who think Nick Hornby invented football and didn't play subbutteo as a kid but now buy it off e-bay

The type of lads who used to get battered in my school. Rightly so.

sligo23
18/11/2010, 12:19 PM
Cheers Dodge, I just spat a mouthful of tea all over my laptop from laughing at that!!

pineapple stu
18/11/2010, 12:20 PM
Seconded. :p

peadar1987
18/11/2010, 12:29 PM
:confused:

I don't understand that at all. Me and Stevo Da Gull went over to a Sparta Rotterdam match a few years back and all we had to do was go into the stadium on the day and ask for them. No mention of anything like that at all.

Oh really? I'd never tried to get tickets to a Dutch game before. I just assumed it must have been a league regulation. I know Den Haag have had a lot of problems with crowd trouble historically, so maybe they're trying to crack down on that. If it's not the same for every club, I might try and see another game. Den Haag is the closest club, but Utrecht (her team), Ajax, Excelsior, Sparta and Feyenoord are all pretty close to Leiden.

pineapple stu
18/11/2010, 12:33 PM
Myself and Aberdonian Stu were at Ajax v Utrecht last month, a fixture with a lot of niggle recently (a select group of Utrecht fans were allowed in for this one; all away fans had been banned for the previous couple of seasons). You could buy tickets straight off the Ajax site. Granted, it was E75, which included a free gift (a cap I didn't want), a tenner credit for the food stalls (I'd have rather bought outside where it was cheaper) and E7.50 handling charge, but it was perfectly straightforward other than that.

passerrby
18/11/2010, 1:32 PM
Wouldn't worry about them lads. Bunch of nerds.

Just trying the "hey look, we're so cool & alternative"

The type of bloke who think Nick Hornby invented football and didn't play subbutteo as a kid but now buy it off e-bay

f**k me all these years feeling guily about been a bully and all along i was doing my civic duty

PartySaint
18/11/2010, 1:40 PM

I wouldn't worry about it Peadar, I went over to an Ajax game in August and when I checked it online they had all that kind of stuff as well but I just went up to the stadium and bought one the day of the game, They must have known I was a LOI fan because they gave me a seat right beside the pitch for only €20

Aberdonian Stu
18/11/2010, 1:40 PM
Yeah as Pineapple said, it was pricier than I'd have liked but getting tickets proved reasonably straightforward for Ajax.

Dodge
18/11/2010, 1:49 PM
Ajax is a bit of a special case though as the tickets the UCD lads bought are specifically for tourists

pineapple stu
18/11/2010, 2:08 PM
Yeah; they knew how to milk it alright. Didn't know PartySaint's route was an option tbh. There were a few thousand empty seats in the ground, so getting tickets likely wouldn't have been a problem at all (although it's always nice to be sure). I've been to a fair few games in various (12, I think) countries around Europe and never had a problem buying at the turnstiles.

PartySaint
18/11/2010, 2:11 PM
Yeah; they knew how to milk it alright. Didn't know PartySaint's route was an option tbh. There were a few thousand empty seats in the ground, so getting tickets likely wouldn't have been a problem at all (although it's always nice to be sure). I've been to a fair few games in various (12, I think) countries around Europe and never had a problem buying at the turnstiles.

It was their Champions League qualifier against Kiev so it might have been a a bit different to a normal league game

pineapple stu
18/11/2010, 2:12 PM
I'm going to assume that's the case alright, cos it makes me feel better. :p

Bluebeard
18/11/2010, 2:37 PM
I actually think it is a great idea, but not as practiced by this particular ensemble. I imagine a group of fans of various different league clubs, realising that, though they essentially believe one another to be otherwise sound individuals, the fact that they support different clubs means that they will never be able to talk about football without coming to blows.

I picture one of them saying: "Gentlemen, other than our footballing differences, we are a goodly troop, all of whom love the glorious game. What say ye all to arriving at a compromise team, one that entertains the locals in a seperate jurisdiction, one with which we have little knowledge and, perhaps, less feality as of yet. Being ultimately indifferent to their success or otherwise, and having little original connection, let us set upon the task of selecting a place that we could feasibly visit perhaps twice or three times a year, when our own respective clubs are out of season of course, that would have facility beside the football for visits, yet nothing too international. How better can we enjoy our companionship together, as best befits a group of men who share similar but oppositional loves. What say ye? Then, dear friends, we are agreed. Let us set upon this task. Every man jack of us to locate a team, and let us decide on the various merits and otherwise of these teams, when next we meet in a month and a day."

I think that would be fantastic. Of course, for it to happen as I envision it, it really should be in a 19th century London gentleman's club, there should follow a grand disputation over the team to follow, illustrating the oppositional nature of the two leading lights of the group, and should be resolved in a manner that would be best filmed with Terry Thomas playing a more nefarious scheming thrid party, who portends no good to any. And Tony Curtis probably should get the girl too.

What I don't get is why they don't choose to follow a French German team, and try to give something back to those who helped our nation in the past this week.

peadar1987
18/11/2010, 2:41 PM
Well I know Den Haag's turnstiles won't even open unless you swipe your membership card, even if you do have a ticket.

The only Ajax game on when I'm over is against Feyenoord, so I doubt we'll be going to that! I had a quick google for tickets, and they're already selling at €129 for seats behind the goals, with a face value of €18.

Also, I think it's pretty ironic how quickly my thread about how subhuman boards.ie members were for following a Dutch team changed into me trying my hardest to go to a Dutch game myself! :shame:

El-Pietro
18/11/2010, 2:44 PM
I went to an AZ Alkmaar game last year, not sure what the story is there though because I had a Dutch friend get us the tickets. He got onto a friend of his who was a member or in teh supports club or something.

Was 20 euro I think for behind the goal. nice stadium, pretty far walk

Thinking of heading to a game in Germany this off season, finances permitting. Nothing wrong with a bit of football tourism I say

Dodge
18/11/2010, 2:46 PM
There's nothing wrong with going to see as many teams/matches in as many leagues/countries as you can.

Slavishly devoted yourself to them is the problem

There's not much better than a lads trip away for the weekend that involves football.

PartySaint
18/11/2010, 2:49 PM
Thinking of heading to a game in Germany this off season, finances permitting. Nothing wrong with a bit of football tourism I say

Couldn't agree more, myself and 4 of my mates are going football interralling next season, Starting (hopefully) with Pats first away game in Europe and finishing around the last week in August

peadar1987
18/11/2010, 2:49 PM
I actually think it is a great idea, ...snip... And Tony Curtis probably should get the girl too.

What I don't get is why they don't choose to follow a French German team, and try to give something back to those who helped our nation in the past this week.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSpke_2OEOwZSiZjkqHdhSVi3oyFPaP4 foj7Z-M540x9qXTxKP1_w

"And I proceeded homewards from the unbridled passion of the savages of the Ataturk, when in Amsterdam I happened upon a herb of most extraordinary potency"

pineapple stu
18/11/2010, 3:09 PM
I like when you right click on that picture, one of the options is "Inspect element". Rather in keeping, I do think.

Charlie Darwin
18/11/2010, 3:24 PM
Sure I only support Rovers because I have no local Dutch team.

Jofspring
18/11/2010, 4:05 PM
Left a comment earlier on the boards page in reply to "why not support more than just an irish team" which seems to have been removed for no reason, well it doesn't seem to be there anyway. Looks like they don't want any discussion on the matter. Suprised....not really.

passerrby
18/11/2010, 5:29 PM
maybe they misinterpted the word Ar$eh@le

BonnieShels
18/11/2010, 6:10 PM
I'm still flabbergasted at this. Still. When I'm away I always check what's on. Though more often than not it's an intl. weekend or the winterbreak or bleedin' July!
Still though Hibs v St Johnstone for me next week! NYIAOW!

SwanVsDalton
18/11/2010, 6:40 PM
Sometimes I wish I could treat football as flippantly as these brain trustees.

"Come on Go For It Birdies - we'll support an Irish team, like Panathinaikos, if ye's are rubbish..."

Charlie Darwin
18/11/2010, 6:49 PM
Left a comment earlier on the boards page in reply to "why not support more than just an irish team" which seems to have been removed for no reason, well it doesn't seem to be there anyway. Looks like they don't want any discussion on the matter. Suprised....not really.
Was it the one pointing out to the Dutch fellow that Irish people tend to exclusively support teams from other countries? Definitely some posts removed there.

boards.ie is second only to the 606 forums as being an overmoderated mess. They're so keen to avoid fights that they shut down anything that even resembles a difference of opinion.

bullit
18/11/2010, 6:55 PM
A few posts from irate LOI fans on that thread have defnitly been removed since i last read it at 3 o"clock but JOFSPRING"S is still up.

ped_ped
18/11/2010, 7:14 PM
Carlow - F.C. Carlow
Clare - could feasibly be considered in the Limerick catchment area?
Cavan -
Cork - Cork City, or if that's not your cup of tea, Cobh Ramblers
Donegal - Finn Harps
Dublin - urgh!
Galway - urgh!
Kerry - Tralee Dynamos
Kildare - Kildare County, though now defunct
Kilkenny - Kilkenny City, though now defunct
Laois -
Leitrim -
Limerick - Limerick F.C.
Longford - Longford Town
Louth - Dundalk, Drogheda
Mayo - Castlebar Celtic
Meath -
Monaghan - Monaghan United
Offaly - Tullamore Town
Roscommon - Athlone Town?
Sligo - Sligo Rovers
Tipperary - a midpoint of Cork, Waterford and Limerick
Waterford - Waterford United
Westmeath - Athlone Town?
Wexford - Wexford Youths
Wicklow - Bray Wanderers

As an overall percentage, there aren't THAT many people who could claim they don't have a local Irish team (and as you travel further up the country my knowledge of catchment areas becomes very shady).

Bluebeard
18/11/2010, 7:40 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only person who doesn't consider Cavan a real place ;)

Schumi
18/11/2010, 7:43 PM
Carlow - F.C. Carlow

Hi Bertie!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6py-JbDHgUc#t=0m46s

ped_ped
18/11/2010, 7:57 PM
Told ya the geography got shadier further up, lads! :D

I'll go edit now haha

BonnieShels
18/11/2010, 7:59 PM
Glad to know I'm not the only person who doesn't consider Cavan a real place ;)

Cavan is most certainly real... I've been stuck in Belturbet far too often than is healthy.

Roscommon is the imaginary hole.

Also speaking of Roscommon having a natural team I would most certainly say it wouldn't be Athlone but Longford Town. The Flansiro is on Stroke-yourself-town Road for starters and is only a few miles from Termonbarry and the Purple Onion.

bullit
18/11/2010, 8:13 PM
Tarmonbarry would be an excellent location for a Leauge of Ireland side,but you would have to kill the local population first.

Jofspring
18/11/2010, 8:33 PM
Was it the one pointing out to the Dutch fellow that Irish people tend to exclusively support teams from other countries? Definitely some posts removed there.

Ya my comment basically saying that unlike the Dutch, English, Spanish etc.... that Irish in the majority tend not to follow an Irish team alright. Said that it was basically peoples loss if they wanted to miss out on regular live football by supporting a team they have no connection to and will probably never see play.
Comment was gone a few hours later. My first one is still there though. No indication of it being deleted though or a reason given.

To be honest i don't think that Dutch guy actually realises how bad it is over here as far as people supporting other teams goes.

Jofspring
18/11/2010, 8:34 PM
Cavan is most certainly real... I've been stuck in Belturbet far too often than is healthy.

Roscommon is the imaginary hole.

Also speaking of Roscommon having a natural team I would most certainly say it wouldn't be Athlone but Longford Town. The Flansiro is on Stroke-yourself-town Road for starters and is only a few miles from Termonbarry and the Purple Onion.

Ya i know a few lads from Roscommon that said they used to make their way to Flancare regularly for games.

bennocelt
18/11/2010, 8:47 PM

Actually the Mullingar side would def be more up for Longford Town, some people from Mullingar would rather slit their wrists than stay in Athlone for any length of time, never mind cheering on Athlone Town:D

BonnieShels
18/11/2010, 9:39 PM
Ya i know a few lads from Roscommon that said they used to make their way to Flancare regularly for games.

They let some out? Call the guards!

Real ale Madrid
18/11/2010, 9:54 PM
Barstool Facepalm

BonnieShels
18/11/2010, 9:56 PM
To boards.ie with that...

bullit
18/11/2010, 10:01 PM
With all the views that that thread on boards.ie is getting from Foot.ie, them dicks probably think that their on to a winner.
Bird ****.

howsyourtouch
18/11/2010, 10:05 PM
Carlow - F.C. Carlow
Cavan -
Cork - Cork City, or if that's not your cup of tea, Cobh Ramblers
Donegal - Finn Harps
Dublin - urgh!
Galway - urgh!
Kerry - Tralee Dynamos
Kildare - Kildare County, though now defunct
Kilkenny - Kilkenny City, though now defunct
Laois -
Leitrim -
Limerick - Limerick F.C.
Longford - Longford Town
Louth - Dundalk, Drogheda
Mayo - Castlebar Celtic
Meath -
Monaghan - Monaghan United
Offaly - Tullamore Town
Roscommon - Athlone Town?
Sligo - Sligo Rovers
Tipperary - a midpoint of Cork, Waterford and Limerick
Waterford - Waterford United
Wexford - Wexford Youths
Wicklow - Bray Wanderers

As an overall percentage, there aren't THAT many people who could claim they don't have a local Irish team (and as you travel further up the country my knowledge of catchment areas becomes very shady).

know a few that come from county roscommon for our games, its only 5miles away from the county border if you keep going out past the ground away from town, just across the shannon, and a few from the likes of ballyleague and places like that come into the town games, which is roscommon!