PDA

View Full Version : anybody got penalty points????

the 12 th man
13/05/2004, 11:44 AM
i must be blessed as i commute 40 miles (at least)a day every day and im clear so far.if you think about it, its impossible to cover that kind of mileage and not break the speed limits at least onnce or twice on route.

buddy of mine got a letter in the post,45 mph in a 40 mph zone :eek:
2 penalty points and 80 euro silv vou plait :mad:

its those unmarked hiroof transits that are catching people out.

pete
13/05/2004, 11:58 AM
No, don't know anyone whose owned up to having any either.

liamon
13/05/2004, 12:29 PM
Me!!! Early last year.
47 in a 30 zone (but I was still slowing down at the time :( ). 2 points and a fine. Main Cork Dublin road. I don't use that route anymore. Found a back road where the cops don't do speed checks. I drive about 500 miles a week and very rarely see a cop anywhere.

Macy
13/05/2004, 12:32 PM
Reckon I've been caught speeding a couple of times - once on the Mullingar by pass (They weren't under their usual bridge) and once coming into Edgeworthstown at 6.30am on a Wednesday morning. Haven't heard anything and they're both going back to last summer so think I'm in the clear at this stage.

the 12 th man
13/05/2004, 12:51 PM
Reckon I've been caught speeding a couple of times - once on the Mullingar by pass (They weren't under their usual bridge) and once coming into Edgeworthstown at 6.30am on a Wednesday morning. Haven't heard anything and they're both going back to last summer so think I'm in the clear at this stage.

reckon your ok if its going back that far.afaik when they are standing there with the "hairdryers" they must stop you there and then,but the vans are a different story as in they take pictures of your reg etc.i think its normally within 2 months for you to receive notification.

Macy
13/05/2004, 12:56 PM
Well the one in Edgeworthstown was one of the bike cops with the hairdryer, the Mullingar one was a guard with one of the tri-pod efforts. Bloody stupid though - the only place you regularly see the guards doing speed checks is the Mullingar By Pass. You know the one, the new big dual carraigeway that has to be the safest bit of road on the journey... :rolleyes:

liamon
13/05/2004, 1:02 PM
reckon your ok if its going back that far.afaik when they are standing there with the "hairdryers" they must stop you there and then,but the vans are a different story as in they take pictures of your reg etc.i think its normally within 2 months for you to receive notification.
AFAIK, that's correct. The tripod/hairdryer thing has to lead to an immediate penalty. The transit van has a limited time after the offence in which they can post a penalty out to you. I think it may be 12 weeks.

the 12 th man
13/05/2004, 1:03 PM
[QUOTE=Macy, the Mullingar one was a guard with one of the tri-pod efforts. :[/QUOTE]

the tripod job is the same as the hand held in that they dont take pictures,
if you werent stopped on the day you are ok.lucky boy by the sound of it :)

Macy
13/05/2004, 1:11 PM
Sure wasn't worried anyway at this stage - just really saying that those are the only two times I reckon I could've got done out of doing 50 miles a day five days a week and driving the 80/100 miles to Longford every few weeks. However, the focus shouldn't been on catching speeding, it should be catching speeding on shít roads where even driving at the speed limit is dangerous, let alone over the limit.

Incidentally, when my mate got points in England his insurance didn't care as they were got on the motorway. No effect on the insurance for that, as opposed for speeding on normal roads.

pete
13/05/2004, 6:02 PM
Bloody stupid though - the only place you regularly see the guards doing speed checks is the Mullingar By Pass. You know the one, the new big dual carraigeway that has to be the safest bit of road on the journey... :rolleyes:

Garda Press Office will tell ya thats all part of "visibility" i.e. surely their presence there stops you speeding elsewhere? No?

:rolleyes: