PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie O'Brien

Pages : [1] 2 3

Metrostars
12/05/2004, 7:46 PM
I don't know if this is the right forum for this, mods move if you feel you need to do so.

Ronnie O'Brien has been playing well for Dallas after he broke his leg last year. Here is an interview/story about him (plus disses playing for Ireland): http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/mls_news.jsp?ymd=20040512&content_id=2622&vkey=news_mls&fext=.jsp

Plastic Paddy
12/05/2004, 7:52 PM
Sour grapes from the erstwhile Man of the Century, it seems. It's all very well and good saying that he'd treat lightly an international call-up, but the chances of him winning one in the near future are slim to nil.

:) PP

1MickCollins
13/05/2004, 2:02 AM
Right on, he was with Dundee or Dundee Utd for a spell and made very few appearances. If you can't hack it in the Scottish Prem...

Metrostars
13/05/2004, 2:57 AM
I've watched him a few times over here on TV playing for Dallas and he has always put in a decent performance. Nothing magical but pretty solid usually. And please, spare me the MLS is crap replies. O'Brien is correct in saying it's about English Division 1 standard.

Bowsy
13/05/2004, 9:07 AM
Couldn't possibly comment on the quality of the MLS as know nothing about it but don't really see Ronnie having any future in the Ireland set up anyway. Not sure what he has sour taste about - the fact he's not been good enough to make the Ireland squad or does he believe he deserved a call up and never got one? :confused:

pete
13/05/2004, 9:35 AM
After being snubbed too many times at the U-20 and U-21 levels, O'Brien is not about to come running if he is summoned back to play for the full national team.

Strange reaction.

Slash/ED
13/05/2004, 12:12 PM
It's easy saying that when a call up isn't likely to come. If it did come, I'd say he'd change his tune fairly quick.

And the MLS, based soley on the American MLS based players at the 2002 world cup, is a pretty decent standard imo.

cclinton
13/05/2004, 5:45 PM
I saw Ronnie play two weeks ago. The article linked earlier in this thread must have been written by his own pr firm. One accurate quote however "I'm not as sharp as I once was". He's nowhere close to the possibility of an international call up. There's a reason he was subbed alot when he played on our youth teams... and I don't see that much has changed.

One comment about the MLS... it's quite a good league, probably lower Div 1, high Div 2. There's quite a few players who have been good in MLS that have made a quick transition to the higher leagues in England. The US national team has benefited significantly from it, by creating a better pool of players to choose from.

Metrostars
23/09/2004, 2:30 AM
O'Brien has applied for a green card and is actively talking renewal in the last year of his current contract. He's embracing the American lifestyle and would even consider taking his connection to the States a step further. He wouldn't mind playing for the US National Team.

"I'd play. I'd be more than happy to play. If they'd want me I'd play,'' O'Brien said. ``The same with the Irish team. But they've got to want you to play. You don't beg people to play. If they're watching you, if they pick you. If Bruce came to me and said, `Ronnie, I'd fancy you playing over here on the right side.' I'd play. I'd be more than happy to play.''

http://www.ussoccerplayers.com/exclusives/448900.html

FWIW, although he is highly regarded over here in MLS, he has a ways to go before he can play for the US...you must be a citizen and he's just applying for a green card.

Although he is much maligned by people who saw him in his younger days, IMO his performances in MLS have been pretty positive.

1MickCollins
23/09/2004, 3:07 AM
MLS definitely has some pretty decent players and Ronnie is doing very well here. But I don't think flying from Dallas to Dublin for internationals is practical even if we needed another option at right-midfield. If he can get a US cap good for him.

Lionel Ritchie
23/09/2004, 9:29 AM
Indeed -best of luck to him if he can get a game for them. I don't think he'd be any huge addition to what we have. Their league is, in Ronnies own estimation, about as good as the 2nd flight in England (which means in all probability -about as good as the 3rd flight ;) ) so I don't think he'd bring anything special to the party.

Metrostars
23/09/2004, 12:11 PM
Indeed -best of luck to him if he can get a game for them. I don't think he'd be any huge addition to what we have. Their league is, in Ronnies own estimation, about as good as the 2nd flight in England (which means in all probability -about as good as the 3rd flight ;) ) so I don't think he'd bring anything special to the party.

O'Brien is right, MLS is on par with the League Championship or whatever they call it nowadays and not 3rd flight. After all, the US got to the quarter finals of the World Cup last night with half of the players coming from MLS and the other half were Euro based journeymen so they can't be all that bad. FWIW, MLS teams have a good record in friendlies against Premiership teams and the Metrostars beat Bayern Munich the week after they won the CL in 2001. But of course the Bayern fans said the team was on the booze since the CL win. Which was probably true. :D

Fr. Murphy
23/09/2004, 12:44 PM
Its amazing to see, usually people on this site are giving out about people like O'Brien from one country but for whatever reason going to play for another. Its a bit hyprocritical if we wish O'Brien well playing for a different country and then cursing when someone like Macken comes along and plays for us.

ken foree
23/09/2004, 1:48 PM
and going the other way, i think noonan of the revs (center forward - sometimes not bad, but has terrible, awful, puffy hair) qualifies for ireland under grandparentage.

Slash/ED
23/09/2004, 2:42 PM
I'd give him a chance for Ireland, from what I've seen he's been very impresive in the MLS which is a decent standard league, as shown by the US at the last world cup. There's no harm in trying him in a friendly or two, if he turns out to be the worst player ever we've lost nothing, if he plays well we've gained a decent option in mid field.

1MickCollins
23/09/2004, 3:09 PM
Its amazing to see, usually people on this site are giving out about people like O'Brien from one country but for whatever reason going to play for another. Its a bit hyprocritical if we wish O'Brien well playing for a different country and then cursing when someone like Macken comes along and plays for us.

No it's not, if you ever lived in the U.S like I have you would know that this country really is a melting pot and it is very hard to define what it means to be American, the spectrum is just so wide.

This country is fuelled by immigrants though mostly from South America and Asia these days - I don't see it as being the same as Englishmen playing for Ireland, for starters O'Brien lives and works here which none og our mercenaries have done.

It would be interesting to know how many of the Englishmen who have played for Ireland never set foot in the ROI before their first call-up?

TheJamaicanP.M.
23/09/2004, 3:34 PM
No it's not, if you ever lived in the U.S like I have you would know that this country really is a melting pot and it is very hard to define what it means to be American, the spectrum is just so wide.

This country is fuelled by immigrants though mostly from South America and Asia these days - I don't see it as being the same as Englishmen playing for Ireland, for starters O'Brien lives and works here which none og our mercenaries have done.

It would be interesting to know how many of the Englishmen who have played for Ireland never set foot in the ROI before their first call-up?

That's a very 2-dimensional view Mick. I think your opinions are generally anti-English anyway. It's ironic because Wolfe Tone once said that the "Americans are half English, half Dutch, with the worst qualities of both peoples". Ronnie O'Brien declaring for the US should not be viewed as any differently just becase it is the US and not England. Would we be as supportive if England wanted to call him up? Unlike Jon Macken who has Irish blood, Ronnie has no American ancestry that I know of.

Terry Phelan
23/09/2004, 4:12 PM
I believe the JamaicanPM must be a very well educated individual,hes a whirlwind of information,his deep knowledge on certain topics is truly mind boggling.Where did this man get his education?
Although i do not agree with some of his concepts or believes...

dynamo kerry
23/09/2004, 5:20 PM
the game in the mls is not 'crap' (stunning critique by the way)

but it is ordinary most of them time with bouts of greatness.

Ronnie is indeed one of the stars but then so is a 38 yr old andreas herzog. Richie baker has 7 assists and has decent game time but he's nowhere near a call up and to be fair ronnie is in a different class. The problem is the league is full of average to good players like baker with a smattering of quality like Noonan, Eddie Johnson, Clint Dempsey and a few others like Landon donovan (outta there next season).

I have no probmel with the likes of Macken,(who was never asked previously to play for ireland) deciding to declare and I have no problem with ronnie playing for the us. ronnie has moved there, is getting married there, will raise kids there. to a great degree he has settled in and should be allowed play if he gets the citizenship.

I do doubt he'll get a call up while playing for dallas who are muck. they might improve next year but to be honest they couldn'd keep a clean sheet to bray reserve grannies. Having said that- there are only 3 or 4 yanks ahead of him in the league at right-mid

Metrostars
23/09/2004, 7:12 PM
"Back in form with the Burn, he's tied for the league lead in assists with 10 and the odds-on choice for the Comeback Player of the Year."

thats a typical american analysis, its all about statistics, thats why the game is crap over there.

No. That isnt why the game is crap over here. Because it's all about statistics?

[/sarcasm hat on]
OK, I'll email MLS to drop with the statistics stuff and all their problems will br dropped
[/sarcasm hat off]

It's not like statistics are shown at all in the Sky games I watch such as possesion %, Shots on target, shots taken....right?

1MickCollins
23/09/2004, 7:56 PM
That's a very 2-dimensional view Mick. I think your opinions are generally anti-English anyway. It's ironic because Wolfe Tone once said that the "Americans are half English, half Dutch, with the worst qualities of both peoples". Ronnie O'Brien declaring for the US should not be viewed as any differently just becase it is the US and not England. Would we be as supportive if England wanted to call him up? Unlike Jon Macken who has Irish blood, Ronnie has no American ancestry that I know of.

I am not anti-English, I am anti-bullsh*t which is what Englishmen playing for Ireland is. The notion of Irishness and Americaness are so different, maybe you have to live in the US and Ireland to understand, not sure if you ever lived in either country. I like English people, I just dislike the historical role of England in Ireland - but I always said we would have done the same to them had the shoe been on theother foot. If I am 2-dimensional you may well be 1-dimensional :D

TheJamaicanP.M.
24/09/2004, 2:56 PM
I am not anti-English, I am anti-bullsh*t which is what Englishmen playing for Ireland is. The notion of Irishness and Americaness are so different, maybe you have to live in the US and Ireland to understand, not sure if you ever lived in either country. I like English people, I just dislike the historical role of England in Ireland - but I always said we would have done the same to them had the shoe been on theother foot. If I am 2-dimensional you may well be 1-dimensional :D

I'm afraid you may be wrong on this one Mick. Nationality is an extremely ambiguous word to define. Nationality is essentially a personal thing. How on earth can Irishness and Americaness be different? You may view them as different, but the fact remains if someone like Ronnie O'Brien can consider himself for the US, then surely there is nothing wrong with the likes of Jon Macken (someone with Irish blood) playing for Ireland. Why should one rule apply to the US and a different rule for Ireland? You seem open-minded enough about O'Brien's potential involvement with the US, so maybe you should be open-minded enough to cast your views on Anglo-Irish relations to one side.

The Legend
24/09/2004, 5:52 PM
Ronnie O'Brien has a chip on his shoulder about how he was treated in Ireland and the UK...

(bit harsh considering he was out times man of the year :p

Even if he suddenly turned into Pele, he would tell the FAI to f**k off...

1MickCollins
25/09/2004, 1:47 PM
I'm afraid you may be wrong on this one Mick. Nationality is an extremely ambiguous word to define. Nationality is essentially a personal thing. How on earth can Irishness and Americaness be different? You may view them as different, but the fact remains if someone like Ronnie O'Brien can consider himself for the US, then surely there is nothing wrong with the likes of Jon Macken (someone with Irish blood) playing for Ireland. Why should one rule apply to the US and a different rule for Ireland? You seem open-minded enough about O'Brien's potential involvement with the US, so maybe you should be open-minded enough to cast your views on Anglo-Irish relations to one side.

I suppose what I mean is when you come to the US it is in a sense still the New World, this soceity has the ability to absorb people from any culture or background, this is the foundation of the country. Don't get me wrong about not wanting to have people born elsewhere of the Irish parentage play for Ireland. I am delighted that Gary Breen and Kevin Kilbane and Graham Stck have played for Ireland, as an emmigrant I know the importance of connecting back to your roots.

I still however draw a sharp distinction between Kilbane or Breen and people like Andy Townsend ( who gave everything he had for Ireland ) or Tony Cascarino ( who it turns out had absolutley no Irish connection ).

Lets just say for arguments sake that international football is a new concept as of now, there has never been an international match prior to today - so our minds are and not conditioned by the past 20 years. Brian Kerr is appointed manager and will name his first squad and we are to play England in our first ever international. Who would be in that squad? What would the Irish public say if Clinton Morrison or Matt Holland were called up?

I am just pointing out how conditioned we have been by the Granny-rule over the past 20-30 years. And yes I believe the US is an exception to this rule, spend a week here and you may understand.

inexile
25/09/2004, 2:04 PM
whats wrong with it? its international football do u really have to have a blood burning desire to play for your country? i dont think, so the first thing you need is ability after that you need luck but more importantly u need to have a connection with the country, look at steve heighway possibly irelands greatest ever winger the only connection he had was he was born here while his parents were on holidays at the time, but he is probably ok because he was born here but macken on the other only has family on his side there is no way he should play for the land of his grandmother the cheek of him! i know if iceland(or any other country) came calling to my door asking me to play international football for im not gonna turn around and say "no sorry i cant because it wouldnt be fair to people who were born in iceland" and if u say you would then your very foolish

4tothefloor
26/09/2004, 9:44 PM
lol @ inexile, I have to say i'd play for Iceland too if given the chance, if only for the Iclandic birds that I could pull after the games! :)

And yes I believe the US is an exception to this rule, spend a week here and you may understand.

I agree, the U.S. is an exception simply because America is essentially a country made up of other cultures and nations. It is a country made up of 2nd\3rd\4th\5th etc generation Irish, Italian, Spanish, British, Asian, Africans etc. Unless there is still a sizable Native American population still in existance, you will be hard pressed to find a true blood American, if one exists at all. It is a nation whose population is descended from other nationalities and cultures (this is probably also why it's society is so fu*cked up). Today it is a revolving door of immigrants. How is Ronnie O'Brien any different to the thousands who have gone to America every year for as long as it has existed? I'm sure after a few years there, Ronnie will feel as American as any of the locals cos really you have to ask, what really constitutes being American? If its being born there, thats half the country fu*cked... :D

Best of luck to him I say, but he does have a serious chip on his shoulder

inexile
27/09/2004, 10:10 AM
isnt it true though anyone would play international football for whoever they could if they got the chance so why would professional footballers be any different?

The Legend
30/09/2004, 5:39 PM
isnt it true though anyone would play international football for whoever they could if they got the chance so why would professional footballers be any different?

I totally disagree... in the case of people who are from a country and their parents are from that country... why the hell would you want to play for someone else?

If one of your parents was a different nationality and you felt a certain loyalty to that, that's a bit more understandable...

ozvaldo
01/10/2004, 8:44 PM
I have to say I think some peoples goodwill towards O'Briens prospect of playing for the States is misplaced.
Okay, maybe your argument that he now lives there and is integrating into society there merits his inclusion in the national team. However, I feel like this goodwill is only brought about by the fact that he would not be good enough to improve our current squad.
What would your attitude be if he suddenly started scoring goals for fun, attracted the attention of a really big club (Juventus say :cool: ) and became a top serie A player - would you still give him your blessing for representing the stars & stripes or would you denounce the man as a mercenary, treachorous, ungrateful poo?

Metrostars
02/10/2004, 1:04 AM
It's not going to happen anyway. If he is only applying for his green card now, it will take him another 5 years to become a citizen. At that age he will be 30/31 I think, a little too late for him to start his international career. Dallas fans tell me he married an Irish girl during the summer so getting citizenship through marriage is out too.

But an interesting topic nonetheless. also see here on a yank board: http://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=139747

Stuttgart88
13/06/2005, 7:25 AM
From today's Guardian:

FROM THE RIVERSIDE TO DALLAS, VIA TURIN

Chris Ruffler asks: "Whatever happened to Ronnie O'Brien - the man released by Bryan Robson at Middlesbrough, but snapped up days later by the mighty Juventus?"

Well, the boy from Bray has gone a long way, literally, since heading through the Riverside exit door. Taking up the story after his, let's say, surprise move to Turin, Juve gave O'Brien a five-year deal.

Barely had he made an impact during the 1998-99 pre-season and Intertoto Cup, la Signora despatched him out on loan to Lugano in Switzerland for six months. He then returned to Italy for further loan spells at Serie B sides Crotone and Lecce. Next stop was Tannadice in 2001, where he rolled up his sleeves in the SPL with Dundee United, before he finally cut his losses at Juventus in 2002.

He then travelled across the Atlantic, no less, where he set about pursuing a career in the United States, playing in the MLS. Dallas Burn [now FC Dallas] took him on, where he impressed in his first season, saw a broken tibia cut short his second, before earning himself a spot in the All-star game during the last campaign. Things continue to go well for the Irishman, with four goals and five assists [!] in ten games this season, helping Dallas to the top of the Western standings.

tetsujin1979
13/06/2005, 9:09 AM
Didn't he say he had little interest in playing for Ireland and may even look to declare for America after getting engaged to an American girl?

Poor Student
13/06/2005, 11:07 AM
Didn't he say he had little interest in playing for Ireland and may even look to declare for America after getting engaged to an American girl?

Doesn't Metrostars two posts above say he married an Irish girl? :confused:

Metrostars
13/06/2005, 2:49 PM
Yeah, he married an Irish girl. Or maybe English. Either way she aint a yank. He is very well loved by the fans in Dallas and has gained quite a reputation.

Now, I never saw him when he played for 'Boro or the other sides in Europe but he is one of the better players here. I've seen enough of him to say that if I were Kerr I would call him up for a friendly for a look. He always plays well for Dallas and knocks in a few good goals. But then again, I aint Brian Kerr. Check out some of his goals this year from the Dallas website:

http://fc.dallas.mlsnet.com/MLS/sights/index.jsp?club=fcd

From his bio on their website:

Most memorable soccer moment was his first game with Juventus…Enjoys playing golf and going to the movies and lists the Nutty Professor as one of his favorite movies…Listens to a variety of music, especially rhythm and blues…Favorite non-soccer team is the Dallas Mavericks…Would like to be an athletic trainer when his playing career is over…Once asked Franz Beckenbauer for an autograph…Has one older brother and two younger sisters…Married to Vicki.

eirebhoy
18/01/2006, 1:27 PM
Should Ronnie O'Brien be called up Staunton's first squad? He got 6 goals and 12 assists (2nd highest in the league) for Dallas last season and is one of the best players in the MLS. Metrostars are apparantly looking to buy him.

Here's a goal he scored last season which made goal of the week:
http://media.putfile.com/Ronnie-OBrien-GOTW-3

I've downloaded highlights from the Allstars match and another match and taken out the bits O'Brien is involved in from this site:
http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/sights/index.jsp?club=fcd

in the Allstars vs Fulham (he scores a dodgy goal):
http://media.putfile.com/Ronnie-OBrien-vs-Fulham

vs New England (scores an top class goal and highly thought of by the commentator):
http://media.putfile.com/Ronnie-OBrien-vs-New-England

An interview with Ronnie in May:
mms://a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.download.akamai.com/11504/2005/audio/archive05/052505_fcd_obrien.wma

Quality of the video's aren't great but its my first time seeing anything of O'Brien in the MLS and he looks worth a shot for the right wing.

CraftyToePoke
18/01/2006, 1:31 PM
Id like to see him get a chance. and with the experimental period coming up in the initial stages of Stauntons tenure id be disappointed if he didnt get half an hour at some point.

what bout yourself?

Stuttgart88
18/01/2006, 2:04 PM
Agree. Even if he's only training with the squad Stan & co. ought to get a feel for how good he is. I reckon the first few squads should be 27-30 man squads.

pete
18/01/2006, 4:07 PM
Who would be dropped? Is he amoung best say 5 central midfielders we have?

Stuttgart88
18/01/2006, 4:09 PM
Isn't he a right sided midfielder?

eirebhoy
18/01/2006, 4:15 PM
Aye, he's a right winger. I don't know why he wears the no.6 though, probably the way it is in America.

TheJamaicanP.M.
18/01/2006, 5:14 PM
Great clips there eirebhoy. He's definitely worth a shot.

Anyone know anything about Tony Schuller? He's supposed to be a very talented player in the DC United underage team. I heard he's from Washington but has declared for Ireland.

klein4
18/01/2006, 9:46 PM
we should be lookin to get as big a squad as possible in so when we get an injury or two we are in less of a total crisis than we usually are

Metrostars
18/01/2006, 11:20 PM
I've been watching a lot of O'Brien since he came over here to MLS. He doesnt play a pure winger role for Dallas, and while he is an attacking right-ish midfielder he can pop up anywhere on the field. Broke his leg a few years ago against the DC United scum. Has a knack of scoring a few nice goals.

He is probably rated about number 10 or so of all midfielders in MLS. Put it this way, if he was a citizen, Arena would have capped him by now and Arena is no slouch when it comes to evaluating talent. Whether he would like to play for Ireland, I am not so sure. I know he had some past issues with Kerr and in an interview last year gave the impression that he is happy with what he has got in Dallas.

For for moving to the Metrostars, I don't think that is going to happen. There is talk of a trade between Dallas and the Metros but that is Honduran Amado Guevara for US kid Eddie Johnson who you will likely see in the world cup. O'Brien is being mentioned as part of that deal but I don't think that will happen. Plus we already have Youri Djorkaeff who does a similar role for the Metros.

As I have said before here I think O'Brien should be given a friendly or two to see what he has got. It's hard to tell if his great performances for Dallas will translate to playing well for Ireland as the style of game is different and the pace of MLS is much slower than typical English-style games.

BTW if anyone has more questions on MLS, let me know.

eirebhoy
19/01/2006, 12:16 AM
Cheers for the update Metrostars.

I don't know if you'd be able to answer this but if I was going to watch a full Dallas match on this site (http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/sights/index.jsp?club=fcd), what one would you recommend to get to see a lot of O'Brien?

Stuttgart88
19/01/2006, 7:18 AM
Anyone know anything about Tony Schuller? He's supposed to be a very talented player in the DC United underage team. I heard he's from Washington but has declared for Ireland.
Don't know him but didn't we give a game to a US born & based centre-half in an under-17 (?) game last year?

Metrostars
19/01/2006, 2:21 PM
Cheers for the update Metrostars.

I don't know if you'd be able to answer this but if I was going to watch a full Dallas match on this site (http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/sights/index.jsp?club=fcd), what one would you recommend to get to see a lot of O'Brien?

check out the 8/6 game against the Metrostars.

Tenderloins
19/01/2006, 3:29 PM
Don't know him but didn't we give a game to a US born & based centre-half in an under-17 (?) game last year?

From The FAI site re the U-18 team
Michael Keohane (IMG Soccer Academy, USA)
Born in the USA, Michael Keohane qualifies for Ireland though an Irish father. Based with the IMG Soccer Academy in Florida, he is a top goalkeeper who has been involved in US underage development squads.

Stuttgart88
19/01/2006, 3:40 PM
Thanks!

Closed Account 2
19/01/2006, 11:22 PM
I think he's worth a punt, to be fair he has played for Juventus who are a class act. I think he's worth a shout, as the Major Soccer League isnt too bad these days. Playing all over the world in different climates and leagues with different styles of play can give average players an edge in terms of experience.

I'd let the lad have a proper run in some friendlies and see how he does.

Stuttgart88
20/01/2006, 7:07 AM
That's a great clip of him scoring by rounding the 'keeper. I haven't seen an Irish player round a goalie with such aplomb since Gary Breen against Malta :)