PDA

View Full Version : John Aldridge.

ArdeeBhoy
08/11/2010, 8:10 PM
Personally never thought he reached the heights for Ireland he did in club football, albeit Liverpool who were probably better than most international sides of the day.

But he has his backers on here, so you can post your tributes here rather than taking up space in the Noble thread about what was to me, was always another under-achiever.

Thanks Aldo. Mediocre, but no cigar.

Plastic Paddy
08/11/2010, 8:29 PM
Opinions are like arseholes; everyone has one. On this one we will have to disagree, mon ami. I loved watching Aldridge in the green. It may have taken him twenty games to score his first goal but his effort and application couldn't be faulted, or so I thought...

:ball: PP

SkStu
09/11/2010, 1:05 AM
absolutely with Plastic Paddy on everything he says. Bit of a legend in the green shirt, even when he wasnt scoring. And loved playing for us and spending time in Dublin.

CraftyToePoke
09/11/2010, 2:17 AM
Not sure about describing John Aldridge as mediocre, cant agree there.

Loved watching him play for us, he loved playing for us and he really could play.

Supreme feet
09/11/2010, 4:59 AM
Almost half of his international goals were scored against Latvia, but his overall contribution was commendable. Remember, back then the non-target front players were instructed to chase long balls into the corners, to force clearances so the midfield could pick up the loose balls. Ireland scored a lot of goals from midfield back then, and Aldridge played a big part in that. However, Aldridge was our top scorer in the USA 94 and Euro 96 qualifiers, when he was firmly in the veteran stage.

Still, if you take a nagging dislike to a certain player, it's pretty easy to criticise them, unless they're absolutely outstanding. A lot of Robbie Keane's most ardent critics are blinded by a dislike for his whingey on-pitch demeanour and naff goal celebrations. Few players are beyond criticism, and if you dislike a certain player, it's easy to make that plausible. Aldridge is a lot less deserving of derision than some of the journeymen we've had up front over the years; Jon Macken, Mickey Evans, Jon Goodman, Gary Doherty, Joe Lapira, Bernie Slaven, Alan Lee... Could put Leon Best and Caleb Folan into that category in time.

theworm2345
09/11/2010, 6:01 AM
Aldridge is a lot less deserving of derision than some of the journeymen we've had up front over the years; Jon Macken, Mickey Evans, Jon Goodman, Gary Doherty, Joe Lapira, Bernie Slaven, Alan Lee... Could put Leon Best and Caleb Folan into that category in time.
A bit harsh on the Doc there to be put in the company of these guys who won 10 or less caps and combined for maybe two goals, even if he were a true striker.

drummerboy
09/11/2010, 7:51 AM
Ran his legs off for the team. Anyone who really knows football would appreciate the job his did for that particular Irish team, which was based on defending from the front. This was the main reason for his lack of goals. He was just as valuable to Ireland as anyone else on that team.

Junior
09/11/2010, 11:34 AM
I find it hard to comprehend the comparison to his club form for Liverpool at the time. You would do well to find two better examples where completely opposite styles of play existed. Aldridge worked his socks off, as did the whole team at that time for Jack and did so whilst not agreeing (well not 100% anyway) with the tactics being employed.

He didnt score the goals he did for Liverpool but did he even get a fraction of those opportunities? - no he didnt.

Im not going to wax lyrical about how wonderful he was for Ireland but I find it strange that you find it necessary to make negative comments about his commitment to the Green jersey, because thats just way off the mark.

geysir
09/11/2010, 12:09 PM
Aldo couldn't strike a singing note.

Wolfie
09/11/2010, 12:20 PM
Personally never thought he reached the heights for Ireland he did in club football, albeit Liverpool who were probably better than most international sides of the day.

But he has his backers on here, so you can post your tributes here rather than taking up space in the Noble thread about what was to me, was always another under-achiever.

Yeah - and that Paul McGrath fella was useless as well.

backstothewall
09/11/2010, 9:20 PM
In fairness, he probably would have scored against Romania in Italia 90, but Jack told him not to.

tricky_colour
09/11/2010, 9:30 PM
I didn't even know he was dead. :o

ArdeeBhoy
09/11/2010, 10:12 PM
Opinions are like arseholes; everyone has one. It may have taken him twenty games to score his first goal
Ultimately for me that was much of the reason. Other journeymen would never have had that chance. As for the consistency of his commitment, will take the PP amendment on that one.

And I never mentioned PMcG Wolfie, Aldo wasn't fit to lace his, er,.....

Grafter
30/09/2012, 8:42 PM
Considering the amount of flak an ageing Robbie Keane gets these days in the green jersey I wonder if there's much difference in Robbie's input level now than in Aldo's contribution around the park in the 90's.
I was a huge Aldo fan when he was banging them in wholesale for us from 1990-93 yet I can't recall him contributing a huge amount in general play (certainly no more than Robbie brings to the table). Considering 90% of Aldo's goals came after he turned 32, who was/is better for Ireland - a 32 year old Robbie or a 32 year old Aldo? People always seem to remember Aldo with affection, certainly he never got the criticism Robbie gets....

Stuttgart88
01/10/2012, 2:32 PM
I'll never forget Aldridge's fury in a RTE interview straight after a 0-0 in Hungary.

"I'm running my legs into stumps". I can't remember the exact context but I think it was in part a criticism of the style of play meaning that he can't be the predator he was at club level, and part justifying his lack of goals.

peadar1987
01/10/2012, 3:11 PM
It's a disgrace he hasn't been called up, when people like McShane and Green are still on the radar. Does Trap even know he's Irish?

Bungle
01/10/2012, 10:09 PM

Aldo mediocre? Can't agree with that. He was a magnificent striker for an outstanding club side, which was the Liverpool team of the late 1980's. With Ireland, he did what Jack asked him to do, something that was totally alien to his role at Liverpool. It was a role that didn't suit him, or indeed would not suit 99% of strikers, but he got on with it. He also banged in the goals in the Spanish league and I think he's one of the highest scorers in the history of the English league.

He was also a great person in the dressing room, who loved pulling on the green shirt. I loved his reaction when we took the lead against England at Euro 88. An all round good fella who loved the game. We need lads like him in the Irish team right now and I would love him in the dressing room with the Germans coming to town.

Met him in Liverpool one night, a few months before he went to Spain when I was working over there and he was out with Steve McMahon and Ronnie Whelan. He was slagging McMahon off for playing for the wrong national team and a team that nobody in Liverpool gives a ****e about. Proper gentlemen the three of them.

I feel like I should be handing Aldo a red book!!

Anyhow here is the obligatory youtube clip..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_0ZEh6LPnA

peadar1987
03/01/2014, 12:37 AM
So that's what Aldo's up to these days!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/05/magazine/a-speck-in-the-sea.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

SkStu
03/01/2014, 1:15 AM
So that's what Aldo's up to these days!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/05/magazine/a-speck-in-the-sea.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Why, you son of a....