PDA

View Full Version : Tax question

awec
05/11/2010, 11:24 AM
Hi all,

So I worked (and lived) from July 2009 to the end of August 2010 in Dublin. I paid rent during this time to a private landlord.

For the tax year 2009, I used my p60 and claimed back rent relief and PRSI or PAYE or something like that (the second one was from a different website).

However, I've now moved back up north and i've finally got my p45 from my employment. I logged onto the paye anytime system to see if I could claim rent relief etc but it says that I've claimed it?

Also, do i enter the address I lived in while working there when filling out the applicaiton, or my address now?

Confused!

Mr A
05/11/2010, 1:38 PM
Maybe you can't claim for 2010 until the end of the year? Or else they carried though the rent relief at the same level and it was automatically deducted from what your tax paid would have been otherwise.

Dodge
05/11/2010, 1:49 PM
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/tax_relief_for_tenants.html

Should have all you need

Macy
05/11/2010, 1:57 PM
Or else they carried though the rent relief at the same level and it was automatically deducted from what your tax paid would have been otherwise.
That would be my thinking. Rent Relief gives you a tax credit, so when you claimed for the previous year they probably added it to your tax credits for the current one. It might still be worth investigating are you due any back, but I doubt it the way the relief is capped.

Paddyfield
05/11/2010, 9:13 PM
Great irish website for asking questions about stuff like this
www.askaboutmoney.com

elroy
07/11/2010, 7:07 PM
Hi all,

So I worked (and lived) from July 2009 to the end of August 2010 in Dublin. I paid rent during this time to a private landlord.

For the tax year 2009, I used my p60 and claimed back rent relief and PRSI or PAYE or something like that (the second one was from a different website).

However, I've now moved back up north and i've finally got my p45 from my employment. I logged onto the paye anytime system to see if I could claim rent relief etc but it says that I've claimed it?

Also, do i enter the address I lived in while working there when filling out the applicaiton, or my address now?

Confused!

If i read you right, you claimed the rent tax credit for 2009. When you claim a credit like this, it is automatically applied for future years unless you tell the Revenue to remove it (i.e. because you are no longer renting etc etc). So in short, you have already claimed the credit for 2010, when your Irish employer was paying you and computing your tax payable, it wouldve already taken into account your entitlement to the credit.

However, it may still be worthwhile appling to the Irish Revenue for split year residence (on the basis that you will be resident outside of ROI for 2011). This basically means that the Revenue will give you your tax credit entitlement against your Irish employment income for 2010 as if you were resident for the full year (as opposed to just 8 months). Usually results in a small refund.