PDA

View Full Version : Crowd average comparison

pete
11/05/2004, 11:50 AM
English Nationwide Averages (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/3702991.stm)

DIVISIONAL ATTENDANCES
Div One: 8.8m - 15,890 ave
Div Two: 4.1m - 7,507 ave
Div Three: 3m - 5,389 ave

Dodge
11/05/2004, 12:09 PM
http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm

Compare them with all european attendances. Ours are estimates obviously...

eoinh
11/05/2004, 12:11 PM
it says in todays Irish Times that so far this season crowds are up 15% on last season. Hopefully that can be kept up, especially as last season the crowds seemed to be up on the season before that.

eoinh
11/05/2004, 12:15 PM
http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn.htm

Compare them with all european attendances. Ours are estimates obviously...

Now thats illuminating :ball:

We have virtually the same averages as Greece and serbia :eek:

When you consider that they have some massive massive derbies its quite impressive. Why then can they do so well in european competition? where does their money come from?

Crikey Dormunds Average is 79.233. Amazing!

pete
11/05/2004, 1:20 PM
We higher than Scot 1st division & about par with Serie C in Italy.

blutil
11/05/2004, 1:29 PM
Poor Wales !

Macy
11/05/2004, 1:38 PM

When you consider that they have some massive massive derbies its quite impressive. Why then can they do so well in european competition? where does their money come from?

No expert on Serbian and Greek football (maybe the Shamrocks fans will help us out ;) ), but I would've thought that most of their young players aren't shipped off at 15. Transfer fee's for those that go, and those that don't go to the top leagues stay in the country. All helps the quality.

mickrev
11/05/2004, 6:36 PM
Its rubbish I'd say. There is no way that Cork City have an average attendance of 5,333. Only once or twice a season would they have over 5,000.

LukeO
11/05/2004, 6:43 PM
Its rubbish I'd say. There is no way that Cork City have an average attendance of 5,333. Only once or twice a season would they have over 5,000.

I thought yous had 10,000 every week :p

It's nice to see a Corkie living in reality for a change ;)

Deboez Online - http://www.deboez.ipfox.com

CollegeTillIDie
11/05/2004, 7:38 PM
As regards Serbia the situation is as follows

The average weekly wage is around €50 a week.
The average ticket to a Prva Liga game is €5. So because it is half a days wages fans pick and choose the games they go to.
Red Star won the title on Saturday. They only had two home crowds in the League over 10,000 which given they have a capacity of 50,000 seats, meant playing in a 4/5 empty and more stadium most weeks.
They get 50,000 for the derby with Partizan every season. Last week when they clinched the title at home to Vojvodina Novi Sad, they got 30,000.
Other Belgrade derbies against the likes of Zemun, Zeleznik, Obilic and OFK attract crowds between 5,500 and 8,000. The rest of their games feature crowds on a par with Bohs, an average of around 3,000.
They also show a lot of their games live on Serbian TV so there are a few Euros payable for that.

Clubs like Red Star and Partizan survive mainly though by transferring players abroad, gate receipts and TV revenue from qualifying for European Club competitions and also from invitations to pre-season tournaments where they are paid a fee.

For instance once they were eliminated from the Champions League ,Partizan transferred striker Andrija Delibasic to Real Mallorca for £2.1 million and loaned midfielder and big earner Sasa Ilic to Celta Vigo for the rest of the season reducing their wage bill further. Lothar Matthaeus walked out as coach to take up the Hungarian National team manager's post. He was replaced by a Serbian coach at a fraction of the salary.

Many fans in Serbia watch their clubs a maximum of 4-5 times a season at home. Catch the rest on TV cause that is about as much as they can afford.
I think the above scenario is probably replicated across Eastern Europe and possibly some other countries as well.

pineapple stu
11/05/2004, 7:58 PM
It's rubbish I'd say. There is no way that Cork City have an average attendance of 5,333. Only once or twice a season would they have over 5,000.

That's this season's average for some reason, which yer man has only updated for the first three games so far. Average now is down to 4,750.

pete
12/05/2004, 9:18 AM
That's this season's average for some reason, which yer man has only updated for the first three games so far. Average now is down to 4,750.

Yeah easy to have high average over few games but haredr to keep going.

Pat O' Banton
12/05/2004, 5:12 PM

Could it also be something to do with the fact that of its finite budget RTE and cable stations as well as sponser will put money into GAA rather than LoI football, Serbia and Greece will not have that competition within their domestic market.

Been to see Dortmund play a couple of times at the Westfallon and it really is some sight. This was even before they filled in the corners of the ground to increase the capacity.

mickrev
12/05/2004, 5:40 PM
Average now is down to 4,750.
Where can you get these figures from?

Stevo Da Gull
12/05/2004, 8:58 PM
Yeah easy to have high average over few games but haredr to keep going.

If Cork were to stay unbeaten at home for the rest of the season the average would go up about 1,500 would'nt it..... how many are expected for the Rovers game?

Colm
12/05/2004, 11:01 PM
how many are expected for the Rovers game?

I'd say we should get at least 5000 but it very hard to predict.

pineapple stu
13/05/2004, 5:26 PM
Where can you get these figures from?

This (http://foot.ie/showthread.php?p=117373#post117373) thread here.

Most figures are guesstimates though.

mickrev
13/05/2004, 5:29 PM
Most figures are guesstimates though.

Definitely alot of overguesstimating going on.

eoinh
13/05/2004, 5:30 PM
sorry CollegeTillIDie i should have congratulated you on you're answer to the serbian question. class.

it might give an indication of what the loi could do if we got our act together

jofyisgod
13/05/2004, 7:20 PM
Yeh, nice one Collegetillidie. How did you know all that? :confused:

We're not too far off the Polish 1st Div/Prem. Div. or the Dutch 2nd Div.
This league is on the up though, i mean some of those are probably in decline.

pineapple stu
13/05/2004, 7:34 PM
I'd imagine European bonuses go farther in the Eastern European countries than here too - i.e. if an Eastern club gets £20,000 prize money, they can do a lot more with it than an Irish club can due to the lower cost of living. Only a small factor, but still another advantage. Hopefully and expanded EU will improve that!