PDA

View Full Version : Mick McCarthy quote

Cabs88
31/10/2010, 9:31 PM
Im not lookin for any debate, im just curious about an interview mick mccarthy had around the time of the iran play off in 2001. He was asked about his nationality, and came back with a respose along the lines if an iranian went to iraq and had a child would that make the iraqi..

Im just curious does anyone have any information about it, thought it was a great response..

irishfan86
01/11/2010, 1:38 AM
I remember him making that quote and it was a good one, but my (albeit brief) google search didn't come up with anything. I'll try again when I have more time.

The Fly
01/11/2010, 4:47 AM
Im not lookin for any debate, im just curious about an interview mick mccarthy had around the time of the iran play off in 2001. He was asked about his nationality, and came back with a response along the lines if an iranian went to iraq and had a child would that make the iraqi..

Adrock's thoughts on the matter have me on tenterhooks...........:rolleyes:

OwlsFan
01/11/2010, 8:26 AM
Somewhat similar to what Daniel O'Connell said about the Duke of Wellington: "The poor old Duke! what shall I say of him? To be sure he was born in Ireland, but being born in a stable does not make a man a horse."

paul_oshea
01/11/2010, 8:36 AM
I was recently reading Frank Mccourts book the second one, and he mentions one of his first lectures, where the lecturer basically says the same about most Irish poets of English sounding names...which is kinda true, we claim them as our own yet a great deal of the more famous ones just happened to be born in Ireland....

youngirish
01/11/2010, 10:59 AM
Somewhat similar to what Daniel O'Connell said about the Duke of Wellington: "The poor old Duke! what shall I say of him? To be sure he was born in Ireland, but being born in a stable does not make a man a horse."

The strange thing about Wellington from what I know of him is that his family had originally settled in Ireland at about the time of the Normal conquest. He had no immediate ancestors to my knowledge that had emigrated from England. So even though his family had been settled in Ireland for over 5 centuries by the time he was born people still claim he wasn't Irish. He was just a self-loating Irishman. There are still plenty of them about.

seanfhear
01/11/2010, 1:21 PM
Somewhat similar to what Daniel O'Connell said about the Duke of Wellington: "The poor old Duke! what shall I say of him? To be sure he was born in Ireland, but being born in a stable does not make a man a horse." I read that as Daniel O' Donell and I was beginning to see the singing Daniel in a whole new light there for a minute.

With regard to Wellington; another thing that you get in a stable is plenty of horse**** !