PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Norway - Wednesday, 17th November 2010 - Friendly

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

rebelmusic
05/11/2010, 3:14 PM
I'm assuming McShane is seen as CB replacement and not RB anymore? Considering there's 3 RB's in that list already? Happy enough with this squad, some pointless players there but not much alternatives. Only player not getting a fair shout it Ward.

paul_oshea
05/11/2010, 3:17 PM
happy enough with the squad, disappointed McCarthy isn't included, but outside of Trapattoni's control
Stokes maybe the only omission I'm not happy about

on Clark's omission, Ken Early tweeted this from the press conference: http://twitter.com/#!/kenearlys/status/571524645920768

how does trap have a clue about him when he never even saw him play?! this stuff seriously annoys me to be honest, we are extremely limited in terms of starting midfielders/defenders in the premiership and here where we have a chance to see him play, get him into the sqaud and gain experience and trap does this.

geysir
05/11/2010, 3:28 PM
Paul, are you muttering about Clark?
Trap can't call up a player who has not been cleared by FIFA to play for us.

paul_oshea
05/11/2010, 3:56 PM
Yep i read that but look at what tets says? Or did i get that wrong? its been known to happen!

"trap didn't call up ciaran clark. says he's a good defender, too young, needs to play, midfield not his position. "

that to me sounds like trap didnt call him up (too young , needs to play etc) as opposed to not being cleared....

TrapAPony
05/11/2010, 4:00 PM
Waiting on FIFA clearance on Clark

http://twitter.com/#!/McDonnellDan

AlaskaFox
05/11/2010, 4:00 PM
Are the under-21s playing that weekend too? Maybe Clark could play for them (if he's cleared that is).

paul_oshea
05/11/2010, 4:03 PM
Waiting on FIFA clearance on Clark

http://twitter.com/#!/McDonnellDan

Ok looks like all journalists were at the press conference and some were listening.

shakermaker1982
05/11/2010, 4:06 PM
I hope to God he gives Coleman, Westwood and Walters a run out. We know Keane and Given can do a job for us. Giving them more caps would be pointless. They need the match practice? Let them put a transfer request in January.

If he starts Kilbane at LB I'll cry. I really will.

Dodge
05/11/2010, 4:10 PM
Think its just Ken Early transcribing Trap's muttering.

Other journos have confirmed that his FIFA clearance hasn't come thtough

shakermaker1982
05/11/2010, 4:13 PM
Why is he saying Clarke is too young and midfield not his position? Does he work with the kid every day? Houillier must see something if he plays him in MF.....

Junior
05/11/2010, 4:13 PM
Are the U21's playing (as has been asked above?)

Is this why Sheridan and Stokes are omitted?

SkStu
05/11/2010, 4:19 PM
very disappointed. But ive come accustomed to feeling that way regarding Trappatoni's tenure. A chance to experiment - lost.

Lenny82
05/11/2010, 4:44 PM
If Clark's paperwork hasn't come through yet would he still not be able to play in a friendly? Or at least meet up with the squad for training?

I'd say Stokes is dissappointed as too would be Sheridan, Keogh and Stephen Ward.

How many will he whittle the squad down to? 23? Which 4 players will he drop if injuries don't do it for him?

Hopefully he uses his head and starts the likes of Westwood, Foley, Coleman, Cunningham, Wilson and Walters or give them at least a half and not just a 10 minute cameo at the end!!!

TrapAPony
05/11/2010, 4:56 PM
How many will he whittle the squad down to? 23? Which 4 players will he drop if injuries don't do it for him?

McShane, Green, Kilbane and O'Dea/Folan.... wishful thinking I know.

backstothewall
05/11/2010, 5:02 PM
Shay Given, Keiren Westwood, John O'Shea, Seamus Coleman, Richard Dunne, Sean St. Ledger, Greg Cunningham, Kevin Foley, Paul McShane, Kevin Kilbane, Stephen Kelly, Darren O'Dea, Marc Wilson, Darron Gibson, Glenn Whelan, Paul Green, Liam Lawrence, Stephen Hunt, Aiden McGeady, Keith Treacy, Damien Duff, Keith Fahey, Jonathan Walters, Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle, Caleb Folan, Shane Long.

I like this squad so far. I think we can safely assume McCarthy would have been called up but for the injury. No point in calling up a full squad of kids. He needs the experienced heads there so it doesn't devalue the exercise. I just hope we get to see a lot of the fringe players in action, and no McShane.

EastTerracer
05/11/2010, 5:32 PM
[QUOTE=paul_oshea;1421071]how does trap have a clue about him when he never even saw him play?!QUOTE]

I thought I read somewhere that Trap was at the Villa-Birmingham game and saw Clark play in midfield. Maybe he's just saying he'd prefer him in defence rather than in midfield.

I'm open to correction if he wasn't at the game but nearly saw I read it in one of the match reports.

ifk101
05/11/2010, 6:17 PM
It's a squad picked for the long ball game.

Disappointing to see the likes of Folan and Walters in the squad as they're there to head the ball rather than play football. Folan's injured btw so why he has been included at the expense of Keogh is a mystery.

geysir
05/11/2010, 6:44 PM
I thought I read somewhere that Trap was at the Villa-Birmingham game and saw Clark play in midfield. Maybe he's just saying he'd prefer him in defence rather than in midfield.

I'm open to correction if he wasn't at the game but nearly saw I read it in one of the match reports.
It was reported that Trap went to the game and met with Clark. It was also reported on Monday, that Clark had not even sent the declaration papers to the FAI. I guess Clark has some of that good old Irish procrastination.

Predator
05/11/2010, 6:55 PM
If Clark's paperwork hasn't come through yet would he still not be able to play in a friendly? Or at least meet up with the squad for training?He couldn't play in an official game, but he could certainly take part in a training camp, as Duffy did when his clearance had yet to come through.

Overall, I'm slightly disappointed with the selection. Trap claims that this game is a good opportunity to try out new players, but the only new guy is Walters. Ah well, a lot can change in two weeks.

Stuttgart88
05/11/2010, 10:08 PM
McCarthy is injured, Clark is not officially available (and there's one friendly and 5 months to go before our next real match anyway), no Anthony Stokes who was totally ineffective against Rangers and a tidy player like Keogh who nobody here really rates much anyway and who is a sub at Cardiff. And we're complaining that these guys are left out? Marginal, marginal, marginal.

Wilson, Coleman and Walters are genuinely fresh options. Treacy is too for all intents and purposes (nobody fancied or predicted a call up pre-Argentina), as are Cunningham & O'Dea. Long was unheralded before the autumn games and he was a revelation in my view. That's SEVEN genuinely fresh options.

Duff and Hunt are back. These are as good as new introductions.

I like Keogh and Stokes and think both are more deserving than Folan. Bar this, this rest are very marginal as usual. I would have liked to see Owen Garvan but I can foresee me and Garvan being like eirebhoy and Partridge. I'll still be banging on about him when I'm 50.

There's no third keeper, which for a friendly is no harm watsoever. Waste of a squad place.

Glass half full, remember?

Stuttgart88
05/11/2010, 10:16 PM
It was reported that Trap went to the game and met with Clark. It was also reported on Monday, that Clark had not even sent the declaration papers to the FAI. To quote Al Gore: An Inconvenient Truth.

geysir
05/11/2010, 10:50 PM
He couldn't play in an official game, but he could certainly take part in a training camp, as Duffy did when his clearance had yet to come through.
Maybe it was just more possible to bring Duffy in. His paperwork was being processed, it was end of season and there was a training camp situation.
Clark is in the first team atm, his club is using him. It would take an official request from the FAI to clear him for intl squad duty and he had not even sent off the papers to the FAI. Even if (probably) Houllier was positive to the the idea, it just might not have felt right.

tetsujin1979
06/11/2010, 12:08 AM
very disappointed. But ive come accustomed to feeling that way regarding Trappatoni's tenure. A chance to experiment - lost.
Why? Apart from Stokes, and possibly Ward, there's noone available that I'd have in the squad over the selected players.

Predator
06/11/2010, 12:15 AM
I suppose that makes sense. Even if Clark was free to join the squad for training, would there have been much point, considering that he would not be able to play any games? At least when Duffy joined up with the training camp squad there were two unofficial friendlies where he could play.

Wilson, Coleman and Walters are genuinely fresh options. Treacy is too for all intents and purposes (nobody fancied or predicted a call up pre-Argentina), as are Cunningham & O'Dea. Long was unheralded before the autumn games and he was a revelation in my view. That's SEVEN genuinely fresh options.I agree. However, the thing that puzzled me was Trapattoni's insistence that this was an opportunity to see players he hadn't seen before and Walters is the only player who hasn't previously been in a Trapattoni squad. I thought there may have been places for a few U21s, although, perhaps that is better left til the end of the season. Nevertheless, I'm expecting some experimentation with the starting lineup.

SkStu
06/11/2010, 12:36 AM
Why? Apart from Stokes, and possibly Ward, there's noone available that I'd have in the squad over the selected players.

stick Stokes and Ward in there and id be a lot happier too. McCarthy, Clark and Noble and id be ecstatic (not Traps fault obviously).

Im not calling for wholesale changes, im calling for a few more new faces. And Greens omission. And im sick of banging on about it here and being met with the same resistance from the same people based on flimsy rationale that consists of 1) dont question the most expensive therefore best manager we've ever had and 2) consistency of selection is even required for friendlies.

Charlie Darwin
06/11/2010, 3:14 AM
I broadly agree but disagree with omitting Green. He acquitted himself very well against the lesser teams and could still be called into action in the years to come if we have a lot injuries. Right now, we don't have too many CMs who are able to avoid injuries for any sustained period.

Stuttgart88
06/11/2010, 7:56 AM
I certainly haven't offered any of those responses Stu. My response to those clamouring for new faces is that three new faces that we would have almost certainly have seen are unavailable: McCarthy, Clark & Maguire. Their inclusion would dramatically chnage the make-up and perception of the squad. Mark Noble is just hypothetical and I'm not sure I want him anyway. In fact I'm pretty sure I don't.

By my rationale we have seven virtually new faces, plus the return of key players like Hunt and Duff. Now if Keith Fahey was to be started in CM that'd be an eight fresh faces, of sorts. If Foley was to play, nine and so on.

Stuttgart88
06/11/2010, 7:59 AM
the thing that puzzled me was Trapattoni's insistence that this was an opportunity to see players he hadn't seen before and Walters is the only player who hasn't previously been in a Trapattoni squad. I thought there may have been places for a few U21s, Treacy, Wilson, Coleman?

I agree about the starting line-up.

Adrock
06/11/2010, 8:10 AM
Walters and Folan included at the expense of Keogh. Shameful.
Folan maybe but Walters is about the only Irish player to have scored in the EPL this season (more than 1 at least) so you cant exactly leave him out at the expesnse of the likes of Keogh

gally
06/11/2010, 8:28 AM
The one person who has impressed me most this season and deserves a chance is Kevin Foley, I would also like to see Wilson start

Stuttgart88
06/11/2010, 10:06 AM
By all accounts Folan is injured anyway.

geysir
06/11/2010, 10:50 AM
It appears that the lovely Manuela is finding it hard to get a word in edgeways at these press conferences.
There was some interpretation of Trap's english when discussing McCarthy, that he would change the formation to a 4411/4231 with McCarthy in front of the 2 CM.

paul_oshea
06/11/2010, 10:57 AM
people are saying oh look loads of new faces, the squad is 27, will he drop green like he should? we know what he can do, he is limited, so good to have as cover but needed for experimentation when we know how limited he is. Why are people also saying that the likes of wilson, foley etc etc are in, these lads were already in the squad? so what? If he starts them all and gives them a good 70 mins then yer point is valid but otherwise is the same old stuff, just rehashed, packaged with a nice wrapping and bow.

paul_oshea
06/11/2010, 10:59 AM
It appears that the lovely Manuela is finding it hard to get a word in edgeways at these press conferences.
There was some interpretation of Trap's english when discussing McCarthy, that he would change the formation to a 4411/4231 with McCarthy in front of the 2 CM.

i like the sound of that, interesting to see will it actually happen though.

geysir
06/11/2010, 11:38 AM
We have a few players for experimenting with positions eg. full back, but only the inclusion of McCarthy would cause an experimenting with a real change in the formation.
Even if McCarthy was available, Trap would still deploy 2 at CM. Both Green and Whelan will start against Norway and maybe Hunt would give more bite to countering the 5 man midfield that Norway deploy. Trap patiently looks to develop and improve players into their roles, he will also look to Green improving into his role.
Carew is out, so Norway are likely to go with their other classy enough frontman, with plenty of support down the flanks.

Stuttgart88
06/11/2010, 2:26 PM
people are saying oh look loads of new faces, the squad is 27, will he drop green like he should? we know what he can do, he is limited, so good to have as cover but needed for experimentation when we know how limited he is. Why are people also saying that the likes of wilson, foley etc etc are in, these lads were already in the squad? so what? If he starts them all and gives them a good 70 mins then yer point is valid but otherwise is the same old stuff, just rehashed, packaged with a nice wrapping and bow.Wilson was in one squad and he withdrew. There are plenty of untried players in the squad. People were screaming for Coleman and he's in. Unfortunately the "new faces" we were most excited about seeing are unavailable. I stand by my point 100%, and it's not a pro- or anti-Trap comment, just a simple observation. In my opinion the squad is a decent mix of experienced and tested, and players with potential who desereve a look. Like you though I'll be disappointed if a few of the latter don't get a good chance to impress, but the squad selection is 90% right I reckon..

The team could do with some fresh faces, but the squad's OK.

The Fly
06/11/2010, 5:52 PM
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/trap-wont-bend-to-agents-demands-2409870.html

WHILE Ireland continue to search for eligible players across the UK and beyond, Giovanni Trapattoni has warned that he will not be held to ransom by agents in order to accelerate a decision.

The 71-year-old said he was speaking generally rather than referring to a specific case study when addressing the topic as he named his squad for the upcoming friendly with Norway.

Aston Villa's Ciaran Clark misses out as the FAI wait for confirmation from FIFA that the 21-year-old is free to play for the country where his parents grew up. Trapattoni is delighted to welcome the defender into his plans, after Clark stressed a willingness to prove his worth.

However, Trapattoni is troubled by agents seeking guarantees that their client will be in the first XI, but denied that Spurs' Jamie O'Hara was doing so, and quashed reports that a recent approach has been made to Mark Noble -- the West Ham midfielder who has captained the England U-21 side.

Therefore, it is unclear if the Irish boss was referencing a particular example in the midst of a typically vague answer on the process of recruitment.
"People say, 'we have a question, we have a question'," he said, "Not like (Shane) Duffy. He said, OK immediately, he will come and play for us. Clark the same, he say OK immediately."

"I cannot say to them what the situation is. They cannot expect to come in and just go on pitch. I put on pitch what I think is better. If the agent says, 'He's OK, he deserves to play', then show me.

"There has been no contact with Noble. And with Maguire (Barry Maguire, who plays with Utrecht in Holland). We have to wait for FIFA to decide."

So, as those issues ramble on, the squad for Norway provides few surprises. Stoke's Jonathan Walters is called up for the first time, and is one of three uncapped individuals in the 27-man selection. Seamus Coleman and Marc Wilson, late call-ups to the squad for last month's Euro 2012 qualifiers with Russia and Slovakia, are the others.

Trapattoni indicated that Coleman will win a first cap on the night and drew a comparison with Gareth Bale, just like Everton boss David Moyes had done earlier in the day as he pointed out how the natural full-back has thrived in a wide role. Still, the Irish boss would like to try out Coleman in his preferred right-full position. "I wish to try him as a defender," he said. "He can go forward. I do not forbid my players from going across the halfway line. You can ask them. I say: 'Go forward and make a cross'. But if the No 2 goes forward to make a cross then, obviously, I look for the midfielder to stay."

Damien Duff, Stephen Hunt and Caleb Folan return from injuries, and Keith Treacy is in line for a second cap, despite confusion surrounding his withdrawal from the last squad. Greg Cunningham should figure, with Trapattoni delighted to see the Galway lad gaining first-team experience at Leicester after recommending him to Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Yet he will field a strong team from the outset against the Norway, conscious that Shay Given and Robbie Keane need game-time considering their dire situations at club level.

James McCarthy misses out through injury, but was discussed in detail. Trapattoni tripped over his words when asked if he was concerned that the 19-year-old might switch back to his native Scotland as he has yet to win a competitive cap, although Irish fans shouldn't be worried.

The Wigan midfielder has no intention of changing his mind, and family members are aggrieved that the issue continues to crop up considering the player endured so much grief to declare for Ireland in the first place. Craig Levein's assertion that the door remains open matters little when the Glaswegian has already decided not to walk through it.

paul_oshea
06/11/2010, 6:45 PM
wilson was in the last squad....and on the bench against slovakia.

coleman was also called into the last squad as back up. the squad is what we expected really, and its not at all different from the last squad except the additions of walters, duff and hunt....2 who were injured.

But overall, the point is still the same these guys have to feature over the more senior players, and those who shouldn't be there....kilbane and green.

Sullivinho
06/11/2010, 7:16 PM
However, Trapattoni is troubled by agents seeking guarantees that their client will be in the first XI, but denied that Spurs' Jamie O'Hara was doing so, and quashed reports that a recent approach has been made to Mark Noble -- the West Ham midfielder who has captained the England U-21 side

I'm not sure I buy Trap's denial. O'Hara likes to name himself in first XI's. Usually England's.

Charlie Darwin
07/11/2010, 3:20 AM
wilson was in the last squad....and on the bench against slovakia.

coleman was also called into the last squad as back up. the squad is what we expected really, and its not at all different from the last squad except the additions of walters, duff and hunt....2 who were injured.

But overall, the point is still the same these guys have to feature over the more senior players, and those who shouldn't be there....kilbane and green.
Coleman was called in at the expense of the injured Kelly but has been retained despite the latter's return. You'd have to assume he did enough to impress Trap over the last international break.

paul_oshea
07/11/2010, 10:18 AM
CD, this squad is 27 players. there was 20 left by the last wasnt there? thats 7 extra.

It will be interesting to see who are the 5 that get chopped.

geysir
07/11/2010, 12:41 PM
Does that mean you accept Charlie's post about Coleman making the squad or are you trying to make another point?

Natural attrition of injury will reduce the squad to at least 23.

tommy_c12000
07/11/2010, 4:17 PM
My team V Norway is:

Westwood
Coleman Dunne O'Shea Cunningham
McGeady Wilson Whelan Duff
Stokes Doyle

Trap's team will be:

Given
O'Shea Dunne St Ledger Kilbane
McGeady Whelan Green Duff
Keane Doyle

AlaskaFox
07/11/2010, 6:21 PM
My team V Norway is:

Westwood
Coleman Dunne O'Shea Cunningham
McGeady Wilson Whelan Duff
Stokes Doyle

Trap's team will be:

Given
Keane Doyle

Stokes isn't in the squad.

tommy_c12000
07/11/2010, 6:22 PM
Stokes isn't in the squad.

He is in my squad

shakermaker1982
08/11/2010, 10:38 AM
If he starts with the team below then I'll be extremely annoyed. The starting 11 needs shaking up.

Given
Keane Doyle

SwanVsDalton
08/11/2010, 11:20 AM

If you're saying Kilbane shouldn't be in the squad then you're way off.

As a general point - as with previous squads, the calls are all marginal at best. Personally I'd like to see Stokes in, others Ward, maybe Maguire or whoever, but no one who's been omitted has made a cast-iron case for inclusion. The only one would be the unfortunately crocked McCarthy and it seems obvious by now he's very much in the manager's plans.

We do have the opportunity to see new faces - possible (actually, probable) debuts for Coleman, Wilson and Walters; opportunities for the likes of Foley, Kelly and Cunningham to make a claim; the chance for Fahey, Long and McGeady to kick on for encouraging performances in Zilina; the welcome return of Duff and Hunt.

Whether or not some of these guys are 'brand new' isn't the point. There's plenty to interest any Irish fan on how many of these guys perform. Just looking at the squad there's appears an abundance of options compared to even a month ago.

geysir
08/11/2010, 11:30 AM
I had a look at the Derby v Portsmouth game (alternative was the rugby) and Green was the motm, he had an excellent game.

CraftyToePoke
08/11/2010, 11:41 AM
I had a look at the Derby v Portsmouth game (alternative was the rugby) and Green was the motm, he had an excellent game.

Yeah, I've watched him twice for Derby this season and been impressed both times, but the international step up does seem a bridge too far for him, for me he hasnt even showed glimpses of what would be required to adapt at the level, never mind impress. Did he play a more advanced role for Derby? just behind a tall frontman?

Junior
08/11/2010, 12:11 PM
I know we cant allow every newcomer a 20 or 30 caps settling in period to become adjusted to International standard football. However.....Both Duff and McGeady have needed that amout of time to even start to show some level of consistency at this level.

Whats Green got at this stage, 6 or 7 caps? (perhaps 2 or 3 competitive). I think he has done ok, a few decent games and a few poor ones but Id be inclined to give him a little longer unless of course he simply cannot retain his place because we have other untested players who are simply going to walk in to the side and look comfortable against Macedonia home and away next year.