View Full Version : Competition for the X Factor winner for Christmas No.1 2010

paudie
29/10/2010, 3:28 PM
My nomination:

Gil Scott-Heron - The Revolution will not be Televised
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ix6Kz-1ev-4

paudie
29/10/2010, 5:00 PM
Does having the x factor winner as number 1 add to Christmas?

In fairness I think people get sick of the blanket coverage the x factor gets in the media and the Rage against the Machine campaign was a harmless reaction to it

stann
29/10/2010, 5:01 PM
I think all these campaigns are stupid. Takes away from Chrismas when Rage Against the Machine is no.1.
But then it adds back in spades when whatever cover version Cowell decides people should buy this year isn't.
Swings and roundabouts, innit?

Pauro 76
31/10/2010, 3:22 PM
Campaign going round for 'Bird is the Word' from Family Guy. Also had an email voting for some emo band Rueben... worked first time around, it's getting a bit stupid now.

culloty82
31/10/2010, 4:42 PM
I've read there's another campaign for John Cage's 4' 53" - basically 5 minutes of dead air on the radio!

TheBoss
31/10/2010, 11:33 PM
Why don't people just choose a Christmas song to rival it ?, makes most sense imo.

bennocelt
01/11/2010, 6:46 AM
I think its nice to have a nice respectable song for Xmas no.1, last year was a total joke like, that garbge. To be fair the x factor winner wasnt much better but at leastit could be played on the radio abd the likes.

depends on your viewpoint, i enjoyed RATM getting top spot, pity more real music isnt on the radio/tv rather than all the dross at the moment

Lionel Ritchie
07/11/2010, 9:44 AM
I think its nice to have a nice respectable song for Xmas no.1, last year was a total joke like, that garbge. To be fair the x factor winner wasnt much better but at leastit could be played on the radio abd the likes.

Will you put down the gluebag. Nice respectable song* no.1 for christmas? Tell me which is more in keeping with the supposed Spirit of Christmas -Cowells latest cash cow wailing over some sterilised, homogenised butchery of a cover version or RATM handing over the unexpected windfall from their Christmas no.1 to a homeless shelter? http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8423340.stm

*Is Fairytale of New York a nice respectable Christmas song?

Bluebeard
08/11/2010, 3:37 PM
Someone on here might be able to clarify, but I had heard that the RATM British #1 was more cash in the coffers for the company that owns it - the same company that S. Cowell works for, and that the other "track" in the running was attached to. Either way, the push to make RATM British Christmas #1, probably led to a massive sales increase for the dirge from X Factor, which seemed to have little challenge, and was probably going to be one of the lower selling British Christmas #1s in recent history thanks to the lack of any real competition owing to the previous couple of years example.

As it happens, the Irish Christmas #1 was the X Factor track, though you wouldn't realise it. A cover of a Miley Cyrus song.

Suitable for a country that would probably come very close to re-electing the current government in the morning.

Lev Yashin
08/11/2010, 4:04 PM
Someone on here might be able to clarify, but I had heard that the RATM British #1 was more cash in the coffers for the company that owns it - the same company that S. Cowell works for, and that the other "track" in the running was attached to. Either way, the push to make RATM British Christmas #1, probably led to a massive sales increase for the dirge from X Factor, which seemed to have little challenge, and was probably going to be one of the lower selling British Christmas #1s in recent history thanks to the lack of any real competition owing to the previous couple of years example.

As it happens, the Irish Christmas #1 was the X Factor track, though you wouldn't realise it. A cover of a Miley Cyrus song.

Suitable for a country that would probably come very close to re-electing the current government in the morning.

Does anyone really care about a christmas number one anymore? I mean i remember Top of the pops on a christmas afternoon and kinda caring who was number one. But since its demise and in my opinion the demise of the charts full stop i think its all irrelevant. Im not bothered about a christmas number one because regardless of what happens we'll still here the usual christmas songs and the xfactor ones as we pass shops or in the back ground at work or so on.

God bless earphones!

Lionel Ritchie
08/11/2010, 10:30 PM
Someone on here might be able to clarify, but I had heard that the RATM British #1 was more cash in the coffers for the company that owns it - the same company that S. Cowell works for, and that the other "track" in the running was attached to. Correct. can't remember who's signed to what but both are ultimately under the benevolent wing of Sony Music. Can't imagine they did anything so noble as RATM did with their wedge but what are the odds. Incidently the lad who missed out on no.1 because of the campaign has had a hell of a year ha? I wonder if he works in the same tesco as the german lass who won Eurovision back in May?

Real ale Madrid
10/11/2010, 8:18 AM
As regards the x-mas no.1 there will always be another mountain for people to climb for these campaigns, and there will always be people who are willing to move those mountains to make it happen. Personally I think these campaigns are always an uphill battle and many of them have to lose from time to time. The thing to remember is that if you want your campaign to be successful, its not about how fast you get to the No1 spot, and its not really about whats waiting on the otherside of christmas either, its the climb , the journey the experience of trying to get there.

I can't remember who was christmas No 1 last year, but I can't get the damn thing out of my subconscious head since.

Dunny
24/11/2010, 10:43 PM
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stone-the-X-Factors-Christmas-Number-1/164356913603874?v=wall

corkharps
12/12/2010, 9:10 AM
Rubberbandits ?anyone?

sligoman
12/12/2010, 11:47 AM
Rubberbandits ?anyone?Not a bit funny, state of them.

Pauro 76
13/12/2010, 12:44 PM
Biffy Clyro - Many of Horror, original track, must have a chance now. I didnt mind the X-Factor winners version, it's the changing of the title to 'When We Collide' that really p!ssed me off.

tetsujin1979
13/12/2010, 2:50 PM
Biffy Clyro - Many of Horror, original track, must have a chance now. I didnt mind the X-Factor winners version, it's the changing of the title to 'When We Collide' that really p!ssed me off.
what's annoying me is that that the original track from Biffy Clyro, Cage against the Machine's 4:33 of silence and the rubber bandits could split the buying public and ensure that the X-Factor winner gets the christmas number 1 again.
Last year Rage against the machine won (in the UK anyway) because it was one unanimous choice to top the charts, which everyone bought.

BonnieShels
15/12/2010, 9:35 PM
Rubber Bandits' Horse Outside is 4/7 here.
It made me chuckle though I think the lads are brutal generally. I remember getting their tapes when I was in college from a few Limerick lads I knew.
There's a campaign mounting in Britain about it getting to No1 there too. Apparently it has sold 10000 on I-Tunes.

bennocelt
16/12/2010, 8:29 AM
Rubber Bandits' Horse Outside is 4/7 here.
It made me chuckle though I think the lads are brutal generally. I remember getting their tapes when I was in college from a few Limerick lads I knew.
There's a campaign mounting in Britain about it getting to No1 there too. Apparently it has sold 10000 on I-Tunes.

To be fair their Willy O Dea song is a modern classic IMHO

tetsujin1979
16/12/2010, 11:26 AM
One of them was on liveline yesterday defending the song, Willie O'Dea and Dermot Whelan also called in. Check out the podcast of the show on rte.ie, it's classic stuff.

BonnieShels
16/12/2010, 11:59 AM
In fairness to the Great Moustache he seems to be normal on this one.
Just watched the video again. It is actually very funny. Fair dues. Though I fear that it will be played up and down every bar in the country over xmas. Journey won't have a patch on it.

TonyD
19/12/2010, 9:55 PM
Does anyone really care about a christmas number one anymore? I mean i remember Top of the pops on a christmas afternoon and kinda caring who was number one. But since its demise and in my opinion the demise of the charts full stop i think its all irrelevant. Im not bothered about a christmas number one because regardless of what happens we'll still here the usual christmas songs and the xfactor ones as we pass shops or in the back ground at work or so on.

God bless earphones!

Amen to that. You might as well believe in fairies as believe in the charts. Just say no kids. I can't remember the last time I listened to the radio.

Magicme
19/12/2010, 10:34 PM
Every time you say you don't believe in faeries one dies. That makes me cry. I don't eat mushrooms coz I don't want gnomes to be homeless.

Macy
20/12/2010, 12:56 PM
Every time you say you don't believe in faeries one dies. That makes me cry. I don't eat mushrooms coz I don't want gnomes to be homeless.
I think someone might be sneaking them into you diet!

Bluebeard
22/12/2010, 9:27 PM
Let's start the campaign for next year's number one now with this:
kTy-kyFZQ-g