PDA

View Full Version : Bohs start clear out

gufct
28/10/2010, 8:24 AM
Article in todays Sun saying Fenlons entire Backroom Team are to be axed after tomorrow nights game and no out of contract player being retained.

total hoofball
28/10/2010, 11:27 AM
From today's Irish Sun

AXED: Fenlon is force to cut all his backroom

By Neil O'Riordan

Bohemians chief Pat Fenlon has been forced to axe his ENTIRE backroom staff because of the club's financial woes.

Assistant boss Liam O'Brien, goalkeeping coach Dermot O'Neill, scout Dave Henderson, physio Tony McCarthy, masseur Keith Browne and kitman Colin O'Connor were all told they would not be kept on.

As it stands, no out-of-contract player will be re-signed either as Bohs slash their budget in a bid to cope with debts of more than €5.5 million.

It is hardly ideal preparation before tomorrow night's final league games against Dundalk.

But Fenlon said: "As disappointing as losing to Galway last week was, it has been more difficult to tell my staff that they are being let go. There's an impression that they were earning a lot of money, that's not true. But they were very loyal and very good in the three years I've been here. They've done more than they've probably needed to. They've all contributed greatly but I've had to tell them that after Friday, they can't be kept on. It's very disappointing and a bit disillusioning. Despite that, we'll prepare in the same way for this game as we would any other. That's what's so sad because they're great professionals who will do their work. They'll do everything to prepare the players to try to win the game."

Bohs look to have thrown away a third successive title by losing to Galway last week. Fenlon added: "Last Friday was very disappointing but if you look over a season, that's when a league is won and lost. The only thing was we had a second chance last week and we didn't take it. Whether we get a third chance, time will tell. We will be professional and try to finish the season off on a high. We want to get our pride back and to get three points, if that brings something extra, great, if it doesn't we'll deal with it."

A goalkeeper crisis has been averted as Barry Murphy has recovered from the groin injury which forced him off in the 3-2 loss to Galway and will start as Chris O'Connor is suspended.
I'm sure this news can't be a massive shock to the Bohs' backroom team but either way it's sad news, hopefully they can find alternative work for next season. Things must be deteriorating even more to make that decision before the final game of the season, how that can do Bohs morale any good before the Dundalk game is beyond me.

Spudulika
28/10/2010, 11:59 AM
Seems strange to release this now, no doubt it's been known for a while but the squeeze came on. Main thing is they survive and stay in the league.

marinobohs
28/10/2010, 1:48 PM
not sure about the timing but has been obvious for a while that Bohs intended to cut back drastically next season. Obviously the priority has to be putting a team on the pitch and then augmenting it with backroom staff. At this stage I dont think a budget for next season has been agreed internally (subject to FAI ratification) and with a level of contractoral commitments already it is no surprise that any player out of contract has not been offered new terms.

Obviously disappointing for those involved but was well flagged that it was almost certain to happen

Ezeikial
28/10/2010, 2:01 PM
At this stage I dont think a budget for next season has been agreed internally (subject to FAI ratification) and with a level of contractoral commitments already it is no surprise that any player out of contract has not been offered new terms.

I recall hearing that Bohs have contractual commitments of €600,000 on players contracts for next season. Anyone know how reliable this is and which players are under contract?

I was amused the read this comment from Pat Fenlon about his position:
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-of-ireland/heary-blames-bohs-slipup-on-lack-of-desire-2393317.html

He stressed his determination to stay at the Phibsboro club once this season is finished, while admitting that the financial situation is so dire that even a league win wouldn't prevent inevitable cost-cutting.
"I've got a contract until 2013. I've no intention of walking out on a club that's been good to me, that's for certain," said Fenlon.

Could this mean "I am on a big fat wage, and will continue to take the money, unless a better offer comes my way"

Probably just me being cynical!

hoopy
28/10/2010, 2:11 PM
'Unsubstantiated allegation', hmmm. How about this then. There's a good possibility that Bohs under contract players will be asked to tear up their contracts on Sat as the club can't pay them over the pre season, and there's a possibility that the players wages weren't lodged to their accounts today. Surely this is ok to say?

Aaron
28/10/2010, 2:13 PM
Who are the Out of Contract players?

Dodge
28/10/2010, 2:26 PM
From recollection I think it was something like 10 players under contract, and they accounted for 600k in wages.

SkStu
28/10/2010, 3:04 PM
'Unsubstantiated allegation', hmmm. How about this then. There's a good possibility that Bohs under contract players will be asked to tear up their contracts on Sat as the club can't pay them over the pre season, and there's a possibility that the players wages weren't lodged to their accounts today. Surely this is ok to say?

ive got an unsubstantiated allegation or two floating around about "the Model Club" if you'd like me to share? Personally i think that sort of unsubtantiated crap is off limits but if you're game?

Also, you do realise, surely, by now that not everything that is whistleblown over on your forum is true? You've been made to look like mugs already this season by believing every little rumour you hear. Either way, there is nothing in your post that most intelligent people couldnt foresee anyway.

SkStu
28/10/2010, 3:04 PM
Could this mean "I am on a big fat wage, and will continue to take the money, unless a better offer comes my way"

thats what i thought too.

pineapple stu
28/10/2010, 3:13 PM
Either way, there is nothing in your post that most intelligent people couldnt foresee anyway.
[really obvious dig]Funny that most Bohs fans couldn't foresee this until a couple of months ago though, despite being told repeatedly it was going to happen.[/really obvious dig]

Rasputin
28/10/2010, 3:15 PM

Funny enough that seems to be the concensus from the majority of Bohs fans on the Bohs forum.

SkStu
28/10/2010, 3:18 PM
[really obvious dig]Funny that most Bohs fans couldn't foresee this until a couple of months ago though, despite being told repeatedly it was going to happen.[/really obvious dig]

yeah, well played Stu. Conveniently ignoring the fact that a few posters in this little bastion of idiocy that passes for a decent message board doesnt constitute most Bohs fans.

All that said, seeing as though you, as moderator, are willing to flex the rules to take a few obvious digs at Bohs, can i post some unsubstantiated rumours about Shams?

Rasputin
28/10/2010, 3:21 PM
All that said, seeing as though you, as moderator, are willing to flex the rules to take a few obvious digs at Bohs, can i post some unsubstantiated rumours about Shams?
Jesus christ man, have you read the rules here at all?

hoopy
28/10/2010, 3:21 PM
ive got an unsubstantiated allegation or two floating around about "the Model Club" if you'd like me to share? Personally i think that sort of unsubtantiated crap is off limits but if you're game?

Also, you do realise, surely, by now that not everything that is whistleblown over on your forum is true? You've been made to look like mugs already this season by believing every little rumour you hear. Either way, there is nothing in your post that most intelligent people couldnt foresee anyway.

'Off limits'. Of course all you Bohs lads would never accuse anyone at our club of anything 'unsubstantiated'. Anyhow the been made to look like mugs is comical. Enjoy your pre season, there's a few players in the LJL I'll pass on to Nutsy to have a look at.

John83
28/10/2010, 3:23 PM
...can i post some unsubstantiated rumours about Shams?
Hey, it's supposed to be an anti-Rovers forum, knock yourself out.

pineapple stu
28/10/2010, 3:26 PM
Eh, let's not encourage that kind of tit-for-tat-topic-what-topic stuff John, yeah?

SkStu
28/10/2010, 3:27 PM
Of course all you Bohs lads would never accuse anyone at our club of anything 'unsubstantiated'..

we dont need to. Theres enough stuff out there on film and in the media without having to resort to rumour.

hoopy
28/10/2010, 3:35 PM
we dont need to. Theres enough stuff out there on film and in the media without having to resort to rumour.

Indeed. Not to mention the stuff Fitzmaurice, Quinn and O'Riordan make up to help their beloved Bohs.

PartySaint
28/10/2010, 3:35 PM
Urgh I see where this thread is going, I'm off to the attendance thread at least there are some facts over there

Cuyahoga
28/10/2010, 3:39 PM
OH GOD! Here we go again. I knew i shouldn't of put the computer on.

Lim till i die
28/10/2010, 3:43 PM
Urgh I see where this thread is going, I'm off to the attendance thread at least there are some facts over there

LOL!!!!

Lim till i die
28/10/2010, 3:45 PM

Possibly

placid casual
28/10/2010, 4:35 PM

Nice one centurion;)

SkStu
28/10/2010, 4:37 PM
ok. Fair enough. Ill leave it there. Ill leave the moderators to moderate as they see fit.

All else ill say is contracts arent being renewed. Big deal. No surprise.

John83
28/10/2010, 4:44 PM
Eh, let's not encourage that kind of tit-for-tat-topic-what-topic stuff John, yeah?
When I wrote that, hoopy's post hadn't been moderated, so I was hoping to make thing thing flare up into something you'd actually deal with. Meta-moderation via trolling.

Mr A
28/10/2010, 4:59 PM
When I wrote that, hoopy's post hadn't been moderated, so I was hoping to make thing thing flare up into something you'd actually deal with. Meta-moderation via trolling.

I like your 'fight fire with fire' approach.

Mind you it's what got me kicked out of the fire brigade.

SwanVsDalton
28/10/2010, 5:09 PM
I like your 'fight fire with fire' approach.

Mind you it's what got me kicked out of the fire brigade.

That and you insisted on sliding down the emergency pole naked...........

What were we talking about again?

The Lep
28/10/2010, 11:55 PM

They were payed late last month as well and they only got it last week. Whats the story with Madden? I heard the lads in the dressing room has turned against him for some reason.

Jicked
29/10/2010, 12:06 AM
Just speculating, but could the reason be that Bohs would probably be champions if he could bundle the ball home from one yard off the Galway goalline?