PDA

View Full Version : POTY Nominations / TOTY

Pages : [1] 2

Nah Nah Nah Nah
21/10/2010, 9:30 PM
Biased and all that I am would say Richie Ryan should get player of the year. Williams for young player of the year

As for the team of the year would have gone for Cherrie in goals and Keegan and Dennehy in midfield ahead of Ndo and Chambers

http://www.pfai.ie/news/254-player-of-the-year-nominees-announced

PLAYER OF THE YEAR NOMINEES
Padraig Amond (Sligo Rovers)
Alan Mannus (Shamrock Rovers)
Richie Ryan (Sligo Rovers)
Brian Shelley (Bohemian FC)
Gary Twigg (Shamrock Rovers)
Shaun Williams (Sporting Fingal)

YOUNG PLAYER OF THE YEAR NOMINEES
Jake Kelly (Bray Wanderers)
Paddy Madden (Bohemian FC)

FIRST DIVISION PLAYER OF THE YEAR NOMINEES
Graham Cummins (Cork City)
Philip Hughes (Monaghan United)
Patrick McEleney (Derry City)

REFEREE OF THE YEAR NOMINEES

Phil Caschera
Neil Doyle
Alan Kelly

IRISH OVERSEAS PLAYER OF THE YEAR NOMINEES

Seamus Coleman (Everton)
Kevin Doyle (Wolverhampton Wanderers)
Keith Fahey (Birmingham City)

PREMIER DIVISION TEAM OF THE YEAR
Alan Mannus (Shamrock Rovers)
Conor Kenna (St Patrick's Athletic)
Gavin Peers (Sligo Rovers)
Brian Shelley (Bohemian FC)
Enda Stevens (Shamrock Rovers)
James Chambers (Shamrock Rovers)
Joseph Ndo (Sligo Rovers)
Richie Ryan (Sligo Rovers
Gary Twigg (Shamrock Rovers)
Padraig Amond (Sligo Rovers)

FIRST DIVISION TEAM OF THE YEAR
Ger Doherty (Derry City)
Alan Carey (Waterford United)
Brian Gartland (Monaghan United)
Kevin Murray (Waterford United)
Pat Purcell (Limerick)
David Cassidy (Shelbourne)
Shane Duggan (Cork City)
James McClean (Derry City)
Patrick McEleney (Derry City)
Graham Cummins (Cork City)
Philip Hughes (Monaghan United)

Magicme
21/10/2010, 9:43 PM
Come on Philly!! :D

Lamper.sffc
21/10/2010, 11:28 PM
Ronan Finn has had a better season at Fingal than Williams imo. Its not that Williams isnt deserving of a mention and should be up there but Ronan Finn has been more consistent for us. Best of luck to him though and is definitely in with a good chance of winning the young player award.

bullit
22/10/2010, 1:21 AM
Mannus" inclusion in this is a mistake imo but whos to argue with the votes from within the pro ranks?? Cherries mid-season injury must have put him down the rankings?? Will there be a poll here on the team of the season?
By the way well done to Philly on his div1 gong,delighted for him.:cool:

Rasputin
22/10/2010, 7:07 AM
In my deeply biased opinion the Player of the year has got to be Richie Ryan, different class in this league and just a step ahead of the rest.

Dodge
22/10/2010, 9:15 AM
Always a couple of dubious votes but no one should take them to heart. Players are effectively voting on the 4/5 times they play a certain player a year and the odd highlights as practically none of them would watch any other games.

Oh and one of the nominees for ref of the year, Caschera, hasn't reffed Pats this year. We've had Kelly 7 times and Doyle 5 times. Bit weird

passinginterest
22/10/2010, 9:30 AM
Oh and one of the nominees for ref of the year, Caschera, hasn't reffed Pats this year. We've had Kelly 7 times and Doyle 5 times. Bit weird

Cashcera is from around the Crumlin area so might just be avoiding giving him those games. I'm not sure if he's done many premier games at all anyway.

I think most of the nominations in team and player of the year are pretty fair. I'd go with Richie Ryan as player of the year and Jake Kelly for young player.

Louth4sam
22/10/2010, 9:47 AM
Mannus" inclusion in this is a mistake imo but whos to argue with the votes from within the pro ranks?? Cherries mid-season injury must have put him down the rankings?? Will there be a poll here on the team of the season?
By the way well done to Philly on his div1 gong,delighted for him.:cool:

I actually thought Rogers should have got it. Best keeper over the season in my opinion.

Louth4sam
22/10/2010, 9:48 AM
In my deeply biased opinion the Player of the year has got to be Richie Ryan, different class in this league and just a step ahead of the rest.

Ndo was always your standout player against us. Surprised he didn't get nominated for player of the year.

Sam_Heggy
22/10/2010, 9:56 AM
No Matty Crossan? :disappointed:

He should be making team of the century.

Dodge
22/10/2010, 10:02 AM
Cashcera is from around the Crumlin area so might just be avoiding giving him those games.

Nah, sure we've had an Inchicore man ref against us (and knock us out of cup grrrrrrr)

I'm glad Conor Kenna is in there. Thoroughly deserved. Actually surprised he isn't up for main award too. I'd go with Ryan and Kelly for the two awards

hedderman
22/10/2010, 10:04 AM

Is he playing well for you?

Sam_Heggy
22/10/2010, 10:09 AM
Is he playing well for you?

Sarcasm is lost on a MB at times.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
22/10/2010, 10:17 AM
Nah, sure we've had an Inchicore man ref against us (and knock us out of cup grrrrrrr)

I'm glad Conor Kenna is in there. Thoroughly deserved. Actually surprised he isn't up for main award too. I'd go with Ryan and Kelly for the two awards

I was thinking about who I would put as the defenders in a team of the season and Kenna was the first player who came to mind. Been superb this season. Would struggle to put a huge case for anyone else really. 2 full backs could really be made up of anyone. No real standout players for me this season. I actually don't think Peers has been as good this season as he was in previous seasons but maybe that's cause he's had less defending to do now that we have players who can hold onto the ball.

hedderman
22/10/2010, 10:21 AM
Sarcasm is lost on a MB at times.

That bad, really? I know him so I was just wondering. Hopefully Patrick McEleney will have some joy against him tonight so.

Rasputin
22/10/2010, 10:22 AM
Ndo was always your standout player against us. Surprised he didn't get nominated for player of the year.
He has been outstanding and so has Russell in the midfield along with Ryan.
But Richie Ryan is the player that makes us tick over, his ability to sweep the play across the park and set the tempo are just a step ahead of other players.
Joey is probably the single most technically gifted player ever to play for us but Ryan is the heartbeat of our team.
Still very very bitter that the FAI are going to have him ruled out of the Cup Final because of 4 yellow cards and not let him take his suspension against either UCD or Pats.

Sam_Heggy
22/10/2010, 10:27 AM
That bad, really? I know him so I was just wondering. Hopefully Patrick McEleney will have some joy against him tonight so.

Ah Matty tries but is definitely suited more to the Irish League where the slower pace is less of a worry.

One good thing for him tonight is that at least Deery won't be there grabbing him by the nads getting Matty sent off in the process.

Nah Nah Nah Nah
22/10/2010, 10:44 AM
He has been outstanding and so has Russell in the midfield along with Ryan.
But Richie Ryan is the player that makes us tick over, his ability to sweep the play across the park and set the tempo are just a step ahead of other players.
Joey is probably the single most technically gifted player ever to play for us but Ryan is the heartbeat of our team.
Still very very bitter that the FAI are going to have him ruled out of the Cup Final because of 4 yellow cards and not let him take his suspension against either UCD or Pats.

A complete joke if himself and Blinkhorn are missing. Same issue with O'Grady last year. Don't really understand why it takes them so long to meet. They should be meeting about disciplinary matters weekly and dishing out the suspensions for the next weekend

Dodge
22/10/2010, 10:56 AM
They do meet weekly. There's an appeals process and thats why it takes so long (even if they choose not to appeal, they have to give them 2 weeks to do it).

Its way too long. Will he definitely miss it though? Don't they usually start postponing suspensions now (to carry over into next year)? Horrible for a player to miss a cup final after picking 4 bookings in 40 odd games

Nah Nah Nah Nah
22/10/2010, 11:18 AM
Hasn't been confirmed for sure yet but rumours that they will be missing it.

Certainly open to correction on how it panned out last year but from what I remember O'Grady got booked in the semi final against Waterford and we were told straight away that he would be missing the final 1 month later even though we still had a couple of league games to play. I think it was that they don't meet towards the end of the season as often.

redobit
22/10/2010, 12:30 PM
The FAI lifted Twiggs ban on the run in to the league for inciting a crowd. Now a player can miss a Cup Final, probably the biggest game of the season at the new Aviva and possibly the biggest game of a lads carrer all because of a some yellow cards through the course of a season. There is no justice. Two seasons in a row we will have to play without our captain in a final cause of this, it ridicuolus.

redobit
22/10/2010, 12:33 PM
Also some fans (not sunshiners I might add) saying that if this is the FAI b*ll***t thats going on this year again that their not going to bother going to the final.

Probably a knee jerk reaction but its hard to take.

Dodge
22/10/2010, 12:33 PM
Also some fans (not sunshiners I might add) saying that if this is the FAI b*ll***t thats going on this year again that their not going to bother going to the final.
then they're the worst fans ever.

Its not like the lad is being persecuted. I've already said its a horrible thing to happen but the rules are there. Clearly laid out

redobit
22/10/2010, 12:40 PM
then they're the worst fans ever.

Its not like the lad is being persecuted. I've already said its a horrible thing to happen but the rules are there. Clearly laid out

As I said knee jerk and likely all talk. The rules are there obviously but it happened last year and as far as I remember they agreed it was injust. But nothing was done about it in the mean time.

Jicked
22/10/2010, 12:48 PM
Maybe if Paul Cook had have thought about resting a few players with a Cup Final in mind...

redobit
22/10/2010, 12:50 PM
Maybe if Paul Cook had have thought about resting a few players with a Cup Final in mind...

What rest them over a whole season.

Candystripe
22/10/2010, 1:30 PM
and back on topic......How James McClean hasn't been nominated for D1 POTY is a mystery.He has been, by a country mile the best Derry player this season.

redobit
22/10/2010, 2:50 PM
and back on topic......How James McClean hasn't been nominated for D1 POTY is a mystery.He has been, by a country mile the best Derry player this season.

In fairness its probably on topic. Ryan is up for POTY so a good performance in the Aviva might have swang it his way. Unless the award is handed out prior to the cup final, not sure about that.

football fan
22/10/2010, 2:51 PM
[QUOTE=passinginterest;1415196]Cashcera is from around the Crumlin area so might just be avoiding giving him those games. I'm not sure if he's done many premier games at all anyway.

Cashcera has not done any matches in the premier division, all his matches have been in the first division. He is being looked at as a future premier referee.

Dodge
22/10/2010, 3:03 PM
In fairness its probably on topic. Ryan is up for POTY so a good performance in the Aviva might have swang it his way. Unless the award is handed out prior to the cup final, not sure about that.

The PFAI awards night is down for November 6th (only know as that was the original night of the Pats POTY do and we had to move)

Rasputin
22/10/2010, 3:29 PM
It was due to Pats poor stewarding....

harleyleeds
22/10/2010, 4:14 PM
C'mon Redobit you know this is only the start . Guaranteed at least one of our players sent off plus at least one dubious peno , same as against Pats really . The model club must win something you know . Actually I really believe this .

total hoofball
22/10/2010, 10:23 PM

Haha! 2 goals tonight!

Sam_Heggy
22/10/2010, 10:38 PM
Did you think I was being sarcastic? I meant he should be on team of all time in the world, universe, anywhere. :D

hedderman
23/10/2010, 11:38 AM
Did you think I was being sarcastic? I meant he should be on team of all time in the world, universe, anywhere. :D

Damn you Sam_Heggy!

passerrby
23/10/2010, 11:47 AM
terrible that a player could miss a cup final due to an accumalation of yellow cards.
also feel that cascara has been the best ref in the first division by a country mile.
Alan Byrne for me has been the best player ive seen anywhere all season.

OneForTheFuture
23/10/2010, 7:38 PM
Come on Philly!! :D

Ha.

I remember in one of the Kildare County programmes there was a Q&A with their players. One of the questions was "Favourite Drink". Most players stated lucozade sport or water....Our Philly answered "carlsberg".

Legend:cool:

Red4Eva
06/11/2010, 10:50 PM
The best player in the league got POTY. He's been an absolute pleasure to watch this year.

redobit
06/11/2010, 11:10 PM
The best player in the league got POTY. He's been a an absolute pleasure to watch this year.

... and next year too with a bit of luck.

Well done Richie, a lot of hard work to get the award after a very average season last year. Credit where it is due.

hoops1
07/11/2010, 1:30 AM
The best player in the league got POTY. He's been an absolute pleasure to watch this year.

Didnt hear the result but delighted Twiggy got it so.

El-Pietro
07/11/2010, 2:51 PM
congratulations to Graham Cummins. fully deserved

Fivesilver
07/11/2010, 4:14 PM
Didnt hear the result but delighted Twiggy got it so.

Too bad for poor Twiggy. We did our best to give him a chance by taking Amond out of the way.

Then again, it looks like Richie did make it up to him in a way.

Ryan beat off Shamrock Rovers' Alan Mannus and Gary Twigg . . .

placid casual
07/11/2010, 5:08 PM
Then again, it looks like Richie did make it up to him in a way.

He can make it up to both of them next season , when they'll all be in the same team together.
:secret:

Charlie Darwin
07/11/2010, 5:29 PM
He can make it up to both of them next season , when they'll all be in the same team together.
Derry?

poster
07/11/2010, 5:35 PM

I doubt Twigg would fit in up in The Showgrounds tbh. :pig:

bingoballs
07/11/2010, 7:17 PM

Typical response from an arrogant shams fan. And ye wonder why ye are the most hated fans in the league

Nah Nah Nah Nah
07/11/2010, 8:47 PM

Ha - I don't think he wants to drop down to 'part time'

razor
08/11/2010, 8:50 AM
congratulations to Graham Cummins. fully deservedBrilliant achievement for the lad.
Heres hoping we can hold on to him.

Rasputin
08/11/2010, 3:29 PM
Richie isnt a big fan of working in a piggery.

hoops1
09/11/2010, 9:27 AM
Ryan only got POTY to stop the Sligo whinging about him missing the cup final.
Twigg is the star in this league.