PDA

View Full Version : Unity cup confirmed

Daxion
07/05/2004, 8:52 PM
At last, the FAI have confirmed Ireland's Participation in the Unity Cup. :ball:
See FAI web site for more info

slow2anger
07/05/2004, 11:26 PM
At last, the FAI have confirmed Ireland's Participation in the Unity Cup. :ball:
See FAI web site for more info
For once it's only gonna cost us the price of a travelcard to get to the games, although Coffey will probably come up with a route via Ljubljana or Moscow to hike up the price!

Never been to Charlton, know any good pubs?

Hole In The Wall near Waterloo station is always fairly reliable, I suppose?

sylvo
07/05/2004, 11:59 PM
Not to up on that area of landan, will be sticking to me normal haunt's in norf Landan, will there be any cheer leader's there do yer know. ;)

Condex
08/05/2004, 9:04 AM
Good pubs in south london with an Irish flavour

The Windmill in Brixton small but a great pub and live music venue

http://www.windmillbrixton.co.uk/

and about any Irish person who's ever been in London knows about the
Swan in Stockwell

http://www.theswanstockwell.co.uk/

London Irish
08/05/2004, 10:52 AM
………..Few decent boozers around London Bridge (can get train direct to Charlton) that is probably a better bet than going native in that particular part of south east London …. Nice pub if going with family is called the Horniman in Hays galleria (I kid you not) right on the river…a few trendy pretentious middle class wine bars near the London dungeon which could do with a visit from the boys in green.......

….unfortunately nothing to match the local delights Bydgoszcz of and I’m not talking about the vodka!!!!!!!!! (Ania - it's now been two weeks and not so much as an email!!!!!!!!)

lopez
08/05/2004, 1:29 PM
Greenwhich is quite nice but I'm with Sylvo on that particular part of the world. It's a kip.

Speaking of which, anyone read about those muppets from Charlton and Southampton that got a free stay of up to 4 years at the German lady's hotel chain. I've no sympathy for Tan scum, but seeing that they were kicking the f*ck out of each other rather - I laughed at the mismatch between a larger, middle -aged group of 'pork-pie eating' heavies with no hair from Charlton against a smaller group of twenty-something Southampton graduates - than foreign bargirls, this is a criminal waste of my tax: (Brenda might own the hotels, but it's people like me that have to pay for the chambermaids to bring in the skunk :eek: sorry, make the beds). Wanna punish the eejits? Community service at the weekend during the season for the next four years. Or make them follow Leeds. :D

Condex
08/05/2004, 4:36 PM
The pubs I mentioned Swan and Windmill were not meant as meeting places
before the game rather as a night out.

People will be over from Ireland for a few days if they are attending both matches.

I would stay out of the clubs in the center as they cost a bomb.

I was at a 40th a few weeks ago and we went to a 'disco' in the Roadhouse Covent Garden, £10 to get in £3.60 for a bottle of Sol, never again.

Jon'o
08/05/2004, 8:15 PM
There is a bar in the main stand of the ground next to the ticket office.

There are also a couple of pubs within about 5mins walk of the ground but as mentioned above they might not be everyones cup of rosey lee :D

nice ground though, holds about 26500 should be a great atmosphere.

sylvo
09/05/2004, 12:52 PM
No slight intended.....if you want nights out in London,in Irish pubs,fake or real....they're here by the barrowload....thinking more of the day of the games...

What about the 12 pin's in finsbury park, btw are they still letting you in there these day's. :eek:

4tothefloor
09/05/2004, 3:26 PM
I would stay out of the clubs in the center as they cost a bomb.

I was at a 40th a few weeks ago and we went to a 'disco' in the Roadhouse Covent Garden, £10 to get in £3.60 for a bottle of Sol, never again.

Thats not even expensive compared to some places over here

Strongly thinking of going to both the Unity Cup and Amsterdam now. I have a mate who lives in Charlton, stayed with him years ago for the Euro 92 England qualifier at Wembly, might give him a bell! All my other other relatives are in North London, up near Archway and Tottenham. How hectic would it be getting from North London to Charlton for the games? Whats the best area to stay in if getting a hotel?

finlma
09/05/2004, 6:37 PM
I'm living in Greenwich and there are a few decent pubs around here. Charlton's not the nicest of places so I'd recommend Greenwich for pre-game drinks. The Gypsy Moth is good (beside Cutty Sark DLR stop), then its 5 minutes on the overland to Charlton.
The only time Ireland play on my doorstep and I'm bloody well back in Ireland for the sister's 21st. Still, I'll make the Jamaica game.

London Irish
09/05/2004, 7:00 PM
Thats not even expensive compared to some places over here

Strongly thinking of going to both the Unity Cup and Amsterdam now. I have a mate who lives in Charlton, stayed with him years ago for the Euro 92 England qualifier at Wembly, might give him a bell! All my other other relatives are in North London, up near Archway and Tottenham. How hectic would it be getting from North London to Charlton for the games? Whats the best area to stay in if getting a hotel?

.......Wouldn’t bother staying in a hotel - …I’d stay up there with yer family.... for the sake of an extra 40 mins it wouldn’t be worth staying in town....the jubilee line has made getting to London Bridge easier than it used to be from town and then 10mins on the over ground train to the valley…….

This website has a journey planner for travelling around London http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/index.htm (http://)

lopez
09/05/2004, 10:31 PM
I'm living in Greenwich and there are a few decent pubs around here. Charlton's not the nicest of places so I'd recommend Greenwich for pre-game drinks. The Gypsy Moth is good (beside Cutty Sark DLR stop), then its 5 minutes on the overland to Charlton.
I was in Greenwhich last summer. Top place and was in the Gypsy Moth while visiting the Cutty Sark. Went down on a cruise from Westminster which I believe sells alcohol on board. Good way of getting down to Greenwhich if your over from Ireland although pricey (think it was £10 return).

Littlest Hobo
10/05/2004, 2:44 PM
http://www.fancyapint.com/

Here's the ultimate guide to boozers in London.

sylvo
10/05/2004, 7:17 PM
http://www.fancyapint.com/

Here's the ultimate guide to boozers in London.

It hasn't got picture's of some of the more illustrious member's of the London rissc on it like rock on Tommy and Davros.

Duncan Gardner
11/05/2004, 7:40 AM
Best pubs walkable from the ground are the Anchor and Hope (by riverside) and Rose of Denmark (on main road back to Greenwich).

Plenty of decent boozers in Greenwich town centre two miles away. Either by the Cutty Sark on the river, or along Royal (sorry) Hill.

Avoid Woolwich town centre which is full of squaddies and a bit less open to outsiders!

I hope to pop along for a pre match pint. I may even remember my w*ll*t :)

lopez
11/05/2004, 8:29 AM
Best pubs walkable from the ground are the Anchor and Hope (by riverside) and Rose of Denmark (on main road back to Greenwich).I hope to pop along for a pre match pint. I may even remember my w*ll*t :)Witch doctor's gear for Saturday and Bob Marley hat with shades and porro for Wednesday, I take it. :D

Paulie
11/05/2004, 12:52 PM
Unfortunately I won't be able to make it as London and Amsterdam in the space of a few days of each other is not happening. Does anyone know if our two games in this "tournament" are being broadcast live on telly?

lopez
11/05/2004, 3:06 PM
Well,DG,you did claim Sun.you would go to the Jamaica game(Didn't you say Woolwich was full of gay bars?!).....I've even got you a ticket,c/o.the Snr.'s venerable acquaintance,C.D......who've all seen in a new light,post-Polska!Gay bars? I tend to stay away from them at Ireland games. Always full of Irish fans. :D

Barna Bee
11/05/2004, 3:50 PM
Gay bars? I tend to stay away from them at Ireland games. Always full of Irish fans. :D

anyone actually get hands on tickets yet

Given the Ticketmaster number when i rang Charltons box office

0870 3800019

finlma
11/05/2004, 4:00 PM
Check the For Fans forum. Everyone's been trying to get tickets but they haven't gone on sale yet

slow2anger
11/05/2004, 11:20 PM
Does anyone know if our two games in this "tournament" are being broadcast live on telly?From the Unity website:

COMMERCIAL BROADCAST RIGHTS HOLDER ARE CURRENTLY BEING NEGOTIATED FOR THE FOLLOWING RIGHTS

EIRE: SETANTA
JAMAICA: TBC
NIGERIA: NTA
UNITED KINGDOM: CHANNEL 5, SKY TV (to be confirmed)
PAN AFRICA: CFI
LATIN AMERICA: TBC
NORTH AMERICA: SETANTA
MIDDLE EAST: TBC

PROJECTED GLOBAL CUMILATIVE TV COVERAGE: 78 MILLION
BREAK DOWN OF PROJECTED TV AUDIENCE IN
EIRE and the UK: 10 MILLION
JAMAICA: 3 MILLION
NIGERIA: 40 MILLION
REST OF WORLD: 10 MILLION

slow2anger
11/05/2004, 11:32 PM
'Ave a look at this: (from the amazing Unity website!)

1. VIP PACKAGE

VIP dining package for corporate clients
- on arrival an assorted canapé selection
- a glass of chilled champagne
- jerk chicken with rice and peas, or
- chicken stew and jollof rice
- exotic fresh fruit salad served with double cream
- rum punch
- freshly brewed coffee and mints
- full cash bar facility

Price per person is £ 80
(including a match ticket for one of the best seats in the house)

Bit more upmarket than the normal 27 cans of strong lager, various spirits and a kebab pre match..............

slow2anger
11/05/2004, 11:46 PM
No use to 'Rock-on';Far,far too many solids.....though would definitely appeal to DG....would need a minimum double helping!
Guess the Rissc Politburo would fall somewhere in the middle.......
Special menu for "Rock on":

5 Litres House Wine
Assorted Spirits
Cheerleaders
Open Untill 6am
Cab Home

ACdub
12/05/2004, 3:54 AM
For us Dubs going to the valley anyone know a good boozer close to the ground, also what time do the pubs open at?? we're arriving into london at 9am with nothing to do but drink!!!

also a good hotel near the ground for the weds game..... talk about hassle flying to dub 1st flight thurs to fly to amsterdam.... if only the fai could get it right and give more notice we could fly london amsterdam!

only1kilbane
12/05/2004, 8:04 AM
Yeah we get in to Luton at 930 anyone know the quickest way from there to the ground as we wanna head straight for a pub near the ground if possible ?

lopez
12/05/2004, 8:25 AM
If you are arriving really early, the Market pubs around Farringdon Station are I'm told great places for night workers (mainly journalists) ready to spend the day getting l*ngered. But time you arrive best just a carry-out at the Airport until you get into town. Not idea about hotels there, but Greenwich seems tourist-orientated and only up the road.

finlma
12/05/2004, 8:26 AM
For us Dubs going to the valley anyone know a good boozer close to the ground, also what time do the pubs open at?? we're arriving into london at 9am with nothing to do but drink!!!

also a good hotel near the ground for the weds game..... talk about hassle flying to dub 1st flight thurs to fly to amsterdam.... if only the fai could get it right and give more notice we could fly london amsterdam!

There's an Ibis Hotel in Greenwich and there's a youth hostel/backpackers place called St. Christopher's Inn. Its only a 2 minute journey on the train to Charlton from there. Wetherspoons pubs open at 10 but beware that the pubs over here all close at 11, even on Friday/Saturday so you'll need to find yourself a late bar or a nightclub to keep going.

Paulie
12/05/2004, 8:58 AM
From the Unity website:

COMMERCIAL BROADCAST RIGHTS HOLDER ARE CURRENTLY BEING NEGOTIATED FOR THE FOLLOWING RIGHTS

EIRE: SETANTA
JAMAICA: TBC
NIGERIA: NTA
UNITED KINGDOM: CHANNEL 5, SKY TV (to be confirmed)
PAN AFRICA: CFI
LATIN AMERICA: TBC
NORTH AMERICA: SETANTA
MIDDLE EAST: TBC

PROJECTED GLOBAL CUMILATIVE TV COVERAGE: 78 MILLION
BREAK DOWN OF PROJECTED TV AUDIENCE IN
EIRE and the UK: 10 MILLION
JAMAICA: 3 MILLION
NIGERIA: 40 MILLION
REST OF WORLD: 10 MILLION

Cheers for that.

Littlest Hobo
12/05/2004, 11:55 AM
anyone actually get hands on tickets yet

Given the Ticketmaster number when i rang Charltons box office

0870 3800019

Yep :D Just picked up a couple of tickets for the Jamaica match.
Two tickets set me back £45.
Couldn't get any for the Nigeria match coz Ticketmasters allocation are sold out :(

only1kilbane
12/05/2004, 12:45 PM
Are you trying to be a wind up agent or something ? tickets widely available for both games now on ticketmaster.co.uk under unity cup !

lopez
12/05/2004, 12:54 PM
Are you trying to be a wind up agent or something ? tickets widely available for both games now on ticketmaster.co.uk under unity cup !I think someone went for a p*ss and forgot to put up the Nigeria tickers. They're up now alright.

Littlest Hobo
12/05/2004, 1:05 PM
I think someone went for a p*ss and forgot to put up the Nigeria tickers. They're up now alright.

Rang up ticketmaster earlier and picked up the jamaica tickets. The bloke told me the nigeria game was sold old. Bloody con artist :mad: