PDA

View Full Version : Smoking.

rebel yell
01/11/2001, 4:14 PM
I saw Lippi with a big cigar last night at the Celtic game. When I went to see Cobh V Fulham, Malcolm McDonald, the manager, was also chain-smoking. I think Prosinecki the Croatian is also a chain-smoker. What a bad example ,I feel, this is. I suppose with the modern game so stressful, some may need what they see as a relief.Just wondering if Gunther or any of the team smokes to the best of anyone's knowledge? Also, anyone know how many changes of managers in the EL's two divisions this season have there been? When Roddy Collins wins the championship and loses
his job, it shows we really have come to something in the modern game.

James
01/11/2001, 4:21 PM
smokes hmmm let me think
maybe Patsy but i couldnt definately confirm that :D

Snatch
01/11/2001, 4:39 PM
I witnessed Ollie C and Jimmy Mull puffing in my time.

pete
01/11/2001, 4:56 PM
maybe Patsy...........

Don't tell anyone cos if that ever got out.............

Noel "clean sheet this season" Mooney is a smoker too? Maybe thats why he soooooo relaxed all the time? ;)

shedite
01/11/2001, 5:30 PM
Mooney definately smokes as does ex-city player Mark Herrick. I doubt they're the only ones.

Gary
01/11/2001, 5:38 PM
And sure while we are gossiping i saw A city player kissing a girl in town the other day.

Gunthers Mask
02/11/2001, 11:38 AM
And sure while we are at it I saw Jason Kabia kissing a giraffe once and we all know what happened next.
I heard Patsy Freyne's nickname is chimney I wonder why???

Peadar
02/11/2001, 12:28 PM
It's the players choice if they want to smoke, I have no problem with that. IMO it only becomes a problem if they are smoking around the game, ie on the bench or outside the dressing room.
I don't think kids need to see an association between smoking and sport. More players smoke than you'd think! But so long as they aren't smoking while wearing the shirt then I'm not too concerned.

rebel yell
02/11/2001, 4:57 PM
Surely though smoking impairs fitness, Barry's Tea? As football is
a team game, smokers are letting down the rest. Of course it's a matter of personal choice but I can't understand how anyone
who professes to be an athlete can indulge in the dreaded weed.
Look at the difference in the Liverpool team under Houllier and the era pre- Houillier. Think about the Pub Teams Kevin Keegan runs. One wonders how Patsy has go on so long without running out of puff!

Jim Smith
02/11/2001, 5:59 PM
I remeber when the great Ally McLeod was managing Ayr United (for the third time) and he used to allow the stars of the team anything they wanted. This included, in one case, cigars and cans of special brew at half time - I kid you not. :confused:

Sometimes I miss the days when all footballers were complete heid the ba's. Where are the characters in todays game?

Cityx
02/11/2001, 7:05 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barry's Tea
[B]It's the players choice if they want to smoke, I have no problem with that.

I have a big problem with that espicially if its the full time players as they are getting paid good money to do a job. If they are smoking then this is restricting them from performing to the best of their ability, and they are not doing their job proberly. We know smoking hinders your fitness and does effect your breathing etc etc so I would definetely funt out any full time player who is smoking regulary as they are foolish and cannot be called professional in their attitude and commitment to the football club they are getting paid by.

Éanna
02/11/2001, 7:39 PM
Originally posted by Barry's Tea
It's the players choice if they want to smoke, I have no problem with that. I have a problem with it too. I think it must impair fitness to at least some extent, and for professional athletes anything that does so should be a definite no-no. That said, Barthez loves his Marly Lights and he's handy enough.....

Peadar
02/11/2001, 7:41 PM
Originally posted by Cityx
I have a big problem with that espicially if its the full time players as they are getting paid good money to do a job.

This site is full of hypocrites!
If Gunther released a player you guys would be kicking and screaming that he had something against the player etc etc.
Now Cityx is saying that he would
Definetely funt out any full time player who is smoking regulary as they are foolish and cannot be called professional in their attitude and commitment to the football club they are getting paid by.

I'm sure that the coach would be one of the first people to notice if a players fitness was suffering.
If you're to be honest about it any player who is serious about sport would neither smoke nor drink. Especially after a game.

Does Gunther have the right to release a player who is seen to be unprofessional in their attitude or does that only apply to smokers!

Cityx
02/11/2001, 9:34 PM

I'm sure that the coach would be one of the first people to notice if a players fitness was suffering.
If you're to be honest about it any player who is serious about sport would neither smoke nor drink. Especially after a game.
!

There is a big difference between Drinking and smoking. Drinking in moderation , having a few beers is of course acceptable. However to suggest that smoking is on a par with drinking and has the same effect is complete and utter nonsense and the most ludicrous statement I have heard in a while. And if you could condone a full time player as being a regular smoker and try to compare it to drink is also madness.

Of course Gunter has the right to kick out anyone who does not be seen to be professional in their attitude,. What i am saying ( and you completely missed the point as i never said anyone with a bad attidude deserves to be at the club) is that smokers have no place as a full time soccer player with any club as they couldnt be giving trhier full commitment as they will obviously be lacking in fitness.

Wake up and smell the Coffee Barrys Tea

Peadar
02/11/2001, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Cityx
There is a big difference between Drinking and smoking. Drinking in moderation, having a few beers is of course acceptable. However to suggest that smoking is on a par with drinking and has the same effect is complete and utter nonsense and the most ludicrous statement I have heard in a while. And if you could condone a full time player as being a regular smoker and try to compare it to drink is also madness.

I hope you're not in the medical profession because I'll be writing to Micheal Martin if you are!
After a game a player needs to replenish the fluids which deplete in the body during physical exertion. The consumption of alcohol is not the way to achieve this as alcohol is a diuretic causing a reduction in body fluids leading to dehydration. Lucozade Sport or something similar is what's needed and lots of it.
I have to disagree that there's a big difference between drinking and smoking. The consumption of alcohol can cause muscle weakness and loss of muscle tissue. You don't know how much an individual player smokes so you cannot determine the possible effect it is having on them.
They aren't school boys, they should know what's right or wrong.
Don't for one moment believe that I condone professional atheltes either smoking or drinking, but as I said earlier it's their own choice!

Cityx
02/11/2001, 11:33 PM

After a game a player needs to replenish the fluids which deplete in the body during physical exertion. The consumption of alcohol is not the way to achieve this as alcohol is a diuretic causing a reduction in body fluids leading to dehydration. !

For Gods sake man , for damage to be caused to the extent youre talking about a player would have to go on a drinking binge directly after the match, all day and all night , and that is highly unlikely. Start talking a bit of sense. It is obvious youre certainly not in the medical Profession because a Diuretic is a chemical compound that increases the flow of urine and eliminates accumulations of water in cells, tissues, blood, and organs. While youre right in stating the end result you are exaggerating a lot. This is not a bad thing but a natural occurence and while alcohol would certailnly increase the possibility of extreme Dehydration you would have to drink a lorry load. If the player is extremely fit and healthy it wouldnt have such an impact as excess fluids are minimum anyway.

in my opinion Smoking in terms of physical fitness for a Full time Soccer player is ten times worse. Subject Closed i Think.

joe
02/11/2001, 11:43 PM

After a game a player needs to replenish the fluids which deplete in the body during physical exertion.

you left that right open for a 'what physical exertion?'-type comment, but who am i to go making one :D

dahamsta
03/11/2001, 12:05 AM
I thought this was kinda funny meself...

for damage to be caused to the extent youre talking about a player would have to go on a drinking binge directly after the match, all day and all night , and that is highly unlikely.

Not that I'm suggesting anything...

adam

Peadar
03/11/2001, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by joe
you left that right open for a 'what physical exertion?'-type comment, but who am i to go making one :D

I was thinking that when I read over it Joe but I left it in for the jokers to pick up on :D

I'd say Cityx went looking up his Collins English dictionary to determine what a diuretic is :p

It has to be noted, Cityx presupposes that the players concerned are drinking in moderation and smoking excessively.

Gunthers Mask
03/11/2001, 7:20 PM
Eanna you wrote about Barthez being handy enough.Have you seen him play lately.ALL joking aside players should not smoke if they are serious about their game.Although Luca Vialli was a savage smoker and he done alright in the game

Gary
03/11/2001, 8:29 PM
As did Socrates(citynet kids-he was a Brazilian great) and Maradonna to my knowledge.

Smoking is bad for you, we all know that but if you are physically fit anyway, then where is the problem.

James
04/11/2001, 4:32 AM
Originally posted by GWA
As did Socrates(citynet kids-he was a Brazilian great) nice

LOL nice one GWA :D :D