PDA

View Full Version : IFA, Ray Kennedy, Nelson McCausland

Lionel Ritchie
19/10/2010, 12:54 PM
I don't know if too many of the NI lads on here'd have much time for Ray Kennedy but just reading a little about this and wondering do Nelson McCauslands comments, and not just in this article either, amount to government interference in an Association by way of attempting to influence a vote?

Quoting from this BBC article (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/irish/9104311.stm)
Kennedy was criticised by an independent report into the unfair dismissal of chief executive Howard Wells which cost the IFA £500,000.

That led to McCausland saying he could not approve government funding unless there were changes at the IFA.

"If I am to invest very large amounts of money - and we are talking about very large money here - not just in stadium development, but in other aspects of the sport, then it's important that the recipient of that money is a body fit for purpose," he said.

"That has to involve change - change at the top, but also change right through the organisation and that's why we said the key to this is an independent thorough review that can look at the organisation and see how it can be properly shaped."

Kennedy had previously said he would not remain as president if it put the government funding in jeopardy.

MariborKev
19/10/2010, 1:01 PM
Kennedy said he was going previously, then changed his mind.

Predator
19/10/2010, 1:31 PM
That's actually quite an interesting angle to look at it from LR. I wonder has McCausland explicitly offered any suggestions as to how the IFA could 'change' in order to make it a body 'fit for purpose'? Would he be expected to?