PDA

View Full Version : City 0-1 Village People - my ratings

Sheridan
07/05/2004, 11:33 AM
Robbie Horgan:
I shan't rate him, as to do so would be just as unfair as selecting him under current circumstances was in the first place. Beaten all ends up by Fenn's free-kick and didn't even move as O'Callaghan volleyed the rebound home. Almost gifted Cork two further goals by charging recklessly from his area. For the sake of having something in the pro column, one may as well note that he made a good catch late on.

Look, I don't want it to seem as though I'm conducting some kind of witch-hunt against Robbie. He's a brilliant bloke, a legend of Irish football, and made as important a contribution as anyone to getting us into the Premier Division. But allowing him to keep goal whilst so obviously devoid of form and confidence is doing no-one, least of all Robbie himself, any favours. With the team bottom of the table and a top-class `keeper (Brendan Kennedy) waiting in the wings, it's just suicidal.

Barry Burke: 7.5
As busy as anyone on the field, Barry almost cost us a goal with a dreadfully sloppy pass towards the end of the match, but was otherwise solid. Given that Barry plays his best football as an attacking central midfielder, it's perhaps surprising that he doesn't get forward more when operating at full-back.

Wes Byrne: 8
Showed more urgency and desire than anyone out there, and even swung over some decent crosses for a change. I think we'll just have to accept the occasional lapse of touch or control as an inevitable component of our Wesley's style of play, but one must offset that against the vim and leadership he brings to the team.

Derek Griffin: 8
Third game in six days - and he still won man of the match! Developing into a fine player.

Ben Whelehan: 7.5
Turned and beaten for pace on more than one occasion, but still running Gary O'Neill close for the title of best close-season acquisition.

Cathal O'Connor: 6
Not up to his usual high standard, but Cottsy still looked the player most likely to provide the crucial assist. Just has that intangible spark of creativity about him. Lucky not to be booked (at least) for a little, ahem, tete-a-tete, in the first half. Should have equalised with our only clear chance of the game.

Keith Foy: 5
Sluggish, lacklustre performance. A few decent set-pieces were the extent of his contribution.

Jason Colwell: 7
Terrier-like for the most part, but didn't always use the ball to good effect.

Terry Gleeson: 6
Game passed him by.

Paul Crowley: 7.5
First-minute booking failed to curb his energetic style. Always looking to get forward but there, perhaps, is the rub. City desperately need (if we persist with 4-5-1) someone to push forward in support of Gary O'Neill; Paul's particular set of skills are best suited to a more defensive role, so surely Burke, McGill or even Maher (or indeed Gleeson, although recent performances suggest otherwise) could be employed further forward.

Gary O'Neill: 7.5
Can't expect him to bail us out every time. Which isn't to say he played badly - although well marshalled by Murray, Gary was still our most potent attacking option. Minor criticism - perhaps not direct enough on the night, in the sense that he kept weaving in and out of the Cork defence when opportunities to go through them plainly existed. Extend contract brilliant news for all City fans.

SUBS:

Philly Hughes: 7
The more prominent of the two forwards for the last fifteen minutes, and when your striker partner is called Gary O'Neill, that's a pretty substantial compliment. Did most of his work with his back to goal, and wasn't given anything to run on to.

Killian Brennan: 6
Frantic finale not his cup of tea. Should have been introduced much, much earlier.

Robbie Collins: Not on long enough
Last, despairing roll of the dice. Don't think he got a kick.

Éanna
07/05/2004, 11:40 AM
So your lot played pretty well (average rating about 7) and we still won without performing very well. BYE BYE :D

Sheridan
07/05/2004, 11:50 AM
Your obsessive prejudice is both ugly and tiresome.

BTW, there was nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, in last night's game to suggest that your team is significantly better than ours, which, given the relative amounts of resources available, is a shocking indictment.

pete
07/05/2004, 12:01 PM
I fail to see how any player on eityher side could be rated higher than 6 last night.

Was expecting O'Neill to be your threat but he did nothing.

Ringo
07/05/2004, 12:52 PM
I fail to see how any player on eityher side could be rated higher than 6 last night.

Was expecting O'Neill to be your threat but he did nothing.

One man up front heavily marked.

Ringo
07/05/2004, 12:58 PM
Robbie Horgan:
ILook, I don't want it to seem as though I'm conducting some kind of witch-hunt against Robbie.

They've both very different styles. Robbie even at his best doesn't look as confident as Brendan. Someone was saying how he tends to stroll around the pitch!!!!! we deserved a point from that game.

pete
07/05/2004, 1:03 PM

Yeah but ain't that the same every game?

patsh
07/05/2004, 1:05 PM
Your obsessive prejudice is both ugly and tiresome.

BTW, there was nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, in last night's game to suggest that your team is significantly better than ours, which, given the relative amounts of resources available, is a shocking indictment.
hmmmm.....Your obsessive prejudice is both ugly and tiresome.
The fact that you support a team with no other resources except a marketing idea, and send teams out on the pitch in the hope of not losing, while we are a club who are the complete opposite, does not prove your "theory" on the basis of one game. I can understand your disappointment, but ludicrous oversimplification on the basis of 90 minutes is pointless.

patsh
07/05/2004, 1:08 PM
1. It's your managers choice to play one person up front. You do not go out to win games, you hope to avoid defeat.
2. Welcome to the Premier divison. Players must expect to be marked very closely. Its where players as talented as John O'Flynn shine, and poor players are found out, no matter how heavily they are marked.

Ringo
07/05/2004, 1:09 PM
The fact that you support a team with no other resources except a marketing idea, and send teams out on the pitch in the hope of not losing, while we are a club who are the complete opposite, does not prove your "theory" on the basis of one game. I can understand your disappointment, but ludicrous oversimplification on the basis of 90 minutes is pointless.
We have competed as a soccer team since 2001. We won the first division title last year and gained promotion. How the F*uck does a marketing idea do that, you ****.

patsh
07/05/2004, 1:13 PM
We have competed as a soccer team since 2001. We won the first division title last year and gain promotion. How the F*uck does a marketing idea do that, you ****.
Settle yourself down little boy.
Continuity Home Farm Everton Dublin City are the idea of a marketing man.
Sell jerseys, do a few promotions, hope to latch on to the Dublin GAA concept.
It's not like the club was founded to cater for a local community or anything like that....... :rolleyes:

Sheridan
07/05/2004, 1:16 PM

Don't be glib, it doesn't become you. You know very well I was referring to a particular Cork poster's constant sneering in this forum.

The likes of Kilkenny, Monaghan and Home Farm Everton have shown us that genuinely poor promoted teams simply can't live in this division. If Cork are so many light-years ahead of us on and off the field, they should have no trouble disposing of us every time we play.

patsh
07/05/2004, 1:19 PM
If Cork are so many light-years ahead of us on and off the field, they should have no trouble disposing of us every time we play.
Ermm We did..
Played 2
Won 2
For 4
Against 1
Points 6
:confused:

Sheridan
07/05/2004, 1:22 PM
Ermm We did..
Played 2
Won 2
For 4
Against 1
Points 6
:confused:
You didn't have any trouble last night, then? Walked it? I urge you to think carefully before responding, for on your answer rests my long-term opinion of your capacity for objective thought.

patsh
07/05/2004, 1:33 PM
You didn't have any trouble last night, then? Walked it? I urge you to think carefully before responding, for on your answer rests my long-term opinion of your capacity for objective thought.
1. I wasn't at the game.
2. An unbiased supporter of another club did not agree with your assesment of the game. Neither did the report of the game in the Irish Times.
3. If you had scored 1 goal last night, and spent 89 1/2 minutes clearing the ball off the line, giving away corners, and stopping us from scoring, you would have proclaimed a fantastic performance and a great win.
4. The fact that we did not wipe the floor with you, as we did in the first game between us, seems to be used by you to have a rant at Cork and the ref.
5. I actually predicted a few days ago that this would be a very tough game for us, as your form seems to be improving. It was a tough game, and while we played poorly, (as admitted to me by a Cork player this morning), it was the second time in 6 days we went to Dublin and came away with all 3 points. In this respect, the result is far more important than the performance.

Sheridan
07/05/2004, 1:40 PM
2. An unbiased supporter of another club did not agree with your assesment of the game. Neither did the report of the game in the Irish Times.
Do we have the same copy? Mine says:

"The result was harsh on bottom-of-the-table Dublin City who played much of the football as Cork's only efforts on goals came from set-pieces."

Not great English, but pretty much backs up what I wrote, I would have thought.

Incidentally, in my experience there's no such thing as an unbiased supporter where Dublin City are involved. I've now seen every team in the league this season, and for all the whining about how poor we are, I've only witnessed one half of football that was demonstrably better than anything in which we've been involved (first half of Bohs vs. Waterford.)

PS: I never rant. ;)

patsh
07/05/2004, 1:47 PM
From The Irish Times

George O'Callaghan made it a hat-trick of wins in the capital for Cork City with a smash-and-grab first-half winner as Pat Dolan's side moved to third in the table. The result was harsh on bottom-of-the-table Dublin City who played much of the football as Cork's only efforts on goals came from set-pieces.

Both sides endeavoured to knock the ball around in a tight first half. Save for a first-minute scare when no Cork team-mate was available to apply the final touch to Neale Fenn's low cross, it was Dublin who carved out the most constructive openings of the half. Defender Ben Whelehan was on the end of the first real chance but he miss-hit his shot from Barry Burke's cross straight at Michael Devine.

Cork replied within a minute when Robbie Horgan's right upright came to Dublin's rescue as Danny Murphy's free-kick got through the defensive wall. Cork were soon exposed again, however, but again, Dublin's finish scarcely troubled Devine as Paul Crowley headed into the goalkeeper's arms after Gary O'Neill and Cathal O'Connor worked the opening down the right.

Those missed chances came back to haunt Dublin as they fell behind four minutes before the break. A variation on their earlier free-kick from a similar position resulted in Fenn's shot rebounding off the crossbar. Dublin reacted sluggishly to the loose ball which fell for O'Callaghan who volleyed home.

The second half was a huge disappointment with Cork, for the most part, happy to defend their lead. O'Connor might have equalised on 62 minutes, but his drive lacked power.
Now if you look through that report, it mentions 3 chances for DC. It also mentions 3 for CC, 1 which hit the post and one which went in. It also says that we were happy to sit back and take the 3 points.

Hardly conclusive evidence that you should have won the game, and that you somehow let it slip.

Éanna
07/05/2004, 2:00 PM
You know very well I was referring to a particular Cork poster's constant sneering in this forum.

Who? Little ol me? I've posted max 4 or 5 times in this forum on that issue. Check if you want. check every post i've ever made in the DCFCHFFHFE forum and you'll see. No sneering at all- I just made my opinions on DCFCHFFHFE clear. And I make no apologies for despising the existence of DCFCHFFHFE

Sheridan
07/05/2004, 2:01 PM
[Now if you look through that report, it mentions 3 chances for DC. It also mentions 3 for CC, 1 which hit the post and one which went in. It also says that we were happy to sit back and take the 3 points.

Hardly conclusive evidence that you should have won the game, and that you somehow let it slip.
Come on mate, you're stretching here - the extract I quoted, as I said, more or less confirms exactly what I wrote.

Counting the number of chances listed in a short match report is an interesting means of determining who deserved to win, maybe you could forward it to Mr. Blatter. Incidentally, I neither wrote nor believe that we deserved to win, but we should certainly have drawn the match. Cork defended well, but they were forced to. It wasn't some calculated catenaccio-style smash-and-grab, it was a fairly freakish goal followed by a total inability to get hold of the ball.

Anyway, well done on the result - here's hoping we both have something to play for when next you visit us at Tolka in September.

pete
07/05/2004, 2:06 PM
Calm down everyone...

:)

patsh
07/05/2004, 3:43 PM
Come on mate, you're stretching here - the extract I quoted, as I said, more or less confirms exactly what I wrote.

1. Sheridan, I'M streching it? you say I'm counting chances, yet you seize on one adjective... :rolleyes:
You are taking one comment form one report that says "Harsh on DC". You have said "Another one that got away", and
"How could we dominate a game for 75+ minutes "
And
"most importantly, WTF was McKeon playing at? He made his intentions clear by booking Paul Crowley in the first minute for a desperately late but totally harmless challenge. He then went on to award every single 50/50 (or even 20/80) decision to Cork City. Having seen them almost take the lead (very much against the run of play) with one erroneously-awarded free that hit the post, he evidently decided it would be a lark to award them another (for no discernible reason) in the same position a few minutes later, from which they eventually scored off a rebound (Robbie should have reacted more quickly to both shots.) There's no obvious reason why he should have favoured Cork City so overwhelmingly, unless he's just a sadist who picks one team to p*ss off in each game he handles. This is the only possible explanation."

Now the unbiased report and Times report hardly back this up.

2. I'm not trying to get into an argument with you, I've often felt p*ssed off after games, but having a lash at CC and how poor they were doesn't change the fact that DC are a fairly poor side, who play fairly awful, negative football.
We may not have played well last night, but it's enough to get a win.

3. It would be great to be still playing for something in September. You never know, if you play your games on a Friday, I might even contribute to Oily's fund and buy you a pint at the game ! :)

Sheridan
07/05/2004, 4:03 PM
1. Sheridan, I'M streching it? you say I'm counting chances, yet you seize on one adjective... :rolleyes:
You are taking one comment form one report that says "Harsh on DC". You have said "Another one that got away", and
"How could we dominate a game for 75+ minutes "
That one comment was essentially the writer's summary of the game as a whole, which I feel tallies with mine. I was mostly just joking about McKeon being a sadist etc, although I felt he was very poor and gave a lot of decisions Cork's way. Still, to paraphrase a half-remembered quote, never ascribe malice to what can easily be explained by incompetence.

You never know, if you play your games on a Friday, I might even contribute to Oily's fund and buy you a pint at the game ! :)
Hehe, I'm not a drinker but unless circumstances intervene I'll hold you to that offer at the Cross in July ;)

Colm
07/05/2004, 5:40 PM
I was at the game and the simple fact of the matter is that although we didn't play great we were the better team and it was an easy win.
Dublin City were very very poor and never seriously threatened.

Sheridan
07/05/2004, 5:42 PM
I was at the game and the simple fact of the matter is that although we didn't play great we were the better team and it was an easy win.
Dublin City were very very poor and never seriously threatened.
I think this may be the single most blinkered statement I have ever read. Yes, I think it is. Bravo, sir.

Colm
07/05/2004, 8:05 PM
I think this may be the single most blinkered statement I have ever read. Yes, I think it is. Bravo, sir.

So how did you work that out then?
Look, I don't care what you think. I didn't say were played well, I just said we were a lot better than ye. Seriously Sheridan, I pity you. How can you support Dublin City, that was soul destroying last night.... 250 people, no real home support, no passion from the fans. I used to feel sorry for UCD fans but at least there's a few of them and they have a few chants and they seem to have passion fro their club. Dublin City are not a real football club merely a franchise with no fans,very bad players and no team spirit or passion that nobody cares about and are an embarrassment to our great league.
However, i'm sure you know all that yet you've still made the decision to be a DC fan and you're entitled to that decision without me or others trying to ridicule you. Just one question though, who did you support before DC? Were you are barstooler of did you have a previous club?

Sheridan
07/05/2004, 10:19 PM
Look, I don't care what you think.

Funny way of showing it.

Dublin City are not a real football club merely a franchise with no fans,very bad players and no team spirit or passion that nobody cares about and are an embarrassment to our great league.
Looks like we have to add breathtaking ignorance to the rap-sheet. It was team spirit and passion that got us here, and there's not one single player in the squad whom I could fault for effort. An embarrassment to our great league - funnily enough, that's more or less verbatim what goes through my mind everytime I see Pat Dolan making a fool of himself on TV.

However, i'm sure you know all that yet you've still made the decision to be a DC fan and you're entitled to that decision without me or others trying to ridicule you. Just one question though, who did you support before DC? Were you are barstooler of did you have a previous club?
Followed football without any specific affiliation for years, adopted DCFC because they're my local club and I believe we have potential. I don't agree with everything surrounding the club, but I'm more determined than ever to do my bit and make a go of it, just to ram it down some people's throats.

tiktok
09/05/2004, 11:55 AM
Any chance we could ease off a little on DCFC? We're a relatively young club ourselves.

The club in it's present form is relatively new, but to be fair, they've come into a 'market' that's pretty competitive. There are few enough EL fans in this country as it is, and with most of the clubs based in and around Dublin,. it was always bound to take them a while to build up a fan base, especially as it's there first year in the top flight.

They have to target people who've never been to an EL game before, chances are that anybody curious enough would take the trip to Tolka to see Shels instead.

As to the game on Thursday. Neither team played well, although I never felt threatened by DCFC, you had a few efforts on goal and could have snuck a draw. But by playing one up front you set out your stall early on that it was the draw you wanted.

While I thought you were very bad on thurs. I was quite impressed with you on the opening game, I thought 3-1 flattered us that day to be honest, and the win against Bohs show you can raise your game. If you can tighten up at the back (not to be cruel but I wasn't impressed with your keeper AT ALL) you're well capable of finishing above Pat's or Derry given their current form.

You're doing yourself no favours by letting half the ground in for free while charging 15yoyo to the rest though (personal gripe).

Colm
09/05/2004, 12:57 PM
Funny way of showing it.

Looks like we have to add breathtaking ignorance to the rap-sheet. .

Comments like that only take away from an otherwise good argument that you are making.
On the team spirit and passion, I wasn't making an overall statement, just refering to the other night when I thought you lacked it big time.

Followed football without any specific affiliation for years, adopted DCFC because they're my local club and I believe we have potential. I don't agree with everything surrounding the club, but I'm more determined than ever to do my bit and make a go of it, just to ram it down some people's throats.

That's fair enough. At least you didn't decide to support Ollie Byrne's bunch of thugs.

Oh and just to settle it once and for all, your own manager John Gill was quoted in the Echo as saying that Cork City were the better team and deserved to win the game.

Sheridan
09/05/2004, 4:28 PM
Any chance we could ease off a little on DCFC? We're a relatively young club ourselves.
Indeed. The "franchise" argument amuses me, since Cork is the most active "franchise" in the league. Also, the people who make that argument are generally those who say we "need more teams from x or y" - the very essence of franchise thinking. Not having a go, just pointing that out.

You're doing yourself no favours by letting half the ground in for free while charging 15yoyo to the rest though (personal gripe).
Absolutely. There's no way any wavering, non-committed fan is going to drop by casually for that price. Our jersey has sold so well because it's high quality and dirt-cheap, I reckon we should follow that example with our admission prices. Maybe even as low at eight euro.

Sheridan
09/05/2004, 4:31 PM
That's fair enough. At least you didn't decide to support Ollie Byrne's bunch of thugs.

Oh and just to settle it once and for all, your own manager John Gill was quoted in the Echo as saying that Cork City were the better team and deserved to win the game.
Hehe, well every single account I heard/read in the media said otherwise, maybe Giller's just trying to stop us feeling sorry for ourselves.

Apologies if I came across a little forcefully, I'm just sick and tired of the constant jibes and sneering. It's a cumulative thing, sometimes I get pushed over the edge. ;)

eoinh
09/05/2004, 4:41 PM
So how did you work that out then?
Look, I don't care what you think. I didn't say were played well, I just said we were a lot better than ye. Seriously Sheridan, I pity you. How can you support Dublin City, that was soul destroying last night.... 250 people, no real home support, no passion from the fans. I used to feel sorry for UCD fans but at least there's a few of them and they have a few chants and they seem to have passion fro their club. Dublin City are not a real football club merely a franchise with no fans,very bad players and no team spirit or passion that nobody cares about and are an embarrassment to our great league.

I remember when city drew tiny crowds. So, just because in the last few years thats changed we shouldnt get all uppidity. I say fair play to the dublin city fans for supporting their club. hopefully you can build on that support. Even if he was a barstoooler, so what? He got off his ass and supported his local club. Isnt that what we all want?

People give out about shels and their support but imo it has grown in the last few years and i hope it will continue to do so. Hopefully dublin city and all LOI clubs will continue to grow their support in the future.
We won, hes entitled to his opinion and i dont feel pity for him just admiration (Jeez i sound like PAT DOLAN :eek: )

ConfusedBlue
09/05/2004, 6:09 PM
hope to latch on to the Dublin GAA concept.
Just like Dolan and Lennox are trying to do with CC and their "Rebel Army" tripe!!!!

tiktok
09/05/2004, 6:20 PM
Just like Dolan and Lennox are trying to do with CC and their "Rebel Army" tripe!!!!

most of us take that with two pinches of salt to be honest

patsh
09/05/2004, 6:21 PM
Wouldn't you know it.... :rolleyes:
The thread doesn't exist that cannot be dragged down even lower by an idiotic intervention from some Mossie... :rolleyes:

Maynard
10/05/2004, 9:44 PM
As a DCFC fan, and a new follower of the EL I can see why Sheridan is getting wound up. As a fan of this club, who have only been around for 3 years, you can expect numerous cheap shots from many angles.
But the one that grates in the "no fans" "not a real club" attitude.
For one, telling the fans of a club that they have no fans is a misnomer and is a pointless arguement. Every club has to build a fanbase, and that takes time and effort, which is being currently being put in.
Then on the other hand, most of these same people recognise the fact that every EL club needs, and would welcome new fans, to convert the barstoolers, and that is exactly what Dublin City is trying to do.

But as we all know that's an uphill struggle, and may or may not work in the long term. But chiding the people who have already committed to an EL club and gotten off their ass and to their local ground isn't productive at all.

tiktok
10/05/2004, 9:48 PM
chiding the people who have already committed to an EL club and gotten off their ass and to their local ground isn't productive at all.

agree completely, we complain about barstoolers too much to be so negative about those who do turn up to El games.

pete
11/05/2004, 9:22 AM
But as we all know that's an uphill struggle, and may or may not work in the long term. But chiding the people who have already committed to an EL club and gotten off their ass and to their local ground isn't productive at all.

Still don't expect to make many friends in the Premier. UCD were bashed for years but looks like only rid of them for 1 season so now its your turn.

I won't knock anyone for supporting their team but I still don't see the point of Home Farm. Maybe if ye moved out to the burbs could build some sort of fan base but Tolka is the worst possible location for ye.

Éanna
11/05/2004, 10:28 AM
But chiding the people who have already committed to an EL club and gotten off their ass and to their local ground isn't productive at all.
maybe I haven't made myself clear enough on that. obviously its better that you guys ARE supporting the league, and fair play. I just intensely dislike your club and see no reason for its existence. No quarrel with the fans- as you say, at least you've got off your asses

Colm
11/05/2004, 3:57 PM
Every club has to build a fanbase, and that takes time and effort, which is being currently being put in.

I don't think ye'll ever have much of a fan base though. Ye're in the same situation UCD have been in for years. Why would anyone living in Dublin choose to support Dublin City ahead of a real football club with success and tradition like Bohs or Rovers.

Ringo
12/05/2004, 5:17 PM
I Why would anyone living in Dublin choose to support Dublin City ahead of a real football club with success and tradition like Bohs or Rovers.

:D a sence of humour's great