PDA

View Full Version : SPA job : Glorious oppurtunity or poison chalice?

Gary
06/05/2004, 5:50 PM
Well now that thier manager quit, whatever his name is, who will take over?

Are SPA now a club living on past glories under great managers, or are the just a team who needs a bit of stability, and another strong man to see them through?

Who will be in contention for the job? No doubt Roddy will throw his greasy smelly cap in the ring, Noel King will surely be mentioned, as will Keely. The latter two surely wouldnt be even considered, and if SPA even consider Roddy "I see the eL as a stepping stone to managing Brazil" Collins, they should be booed, jeered and ridiculed forever.

Will they go for experience? or will they try and keep with their "bootroom" thing? Russel and Osam are taking temporary charge. Will they try and lure some lower division manager from England? Or will they try and take a manager from another club - Paul Doolin, Mike Kerley, Alan Matthews? Or is this a great (and huge) oppurtunity for Jimmy McGeogh to et back into the game?

Will Pat Dolan make a surprise return :D ?

Certainly will be interesting to see what happens.

For what its worth I reckon thye will go for bootroom as they cant afford much more. That or McGeogh.

Éanna
06/05/2004, 6:40 PM
wouldn't surprise me to see russell and osam take over. I think Russell was being groomed for it anyway and they'd surely have the backing of the fans. pats are a club in serious decline- they're lucky only one team is going down this year

A face
06/05/2004, 9:49 PM
Didnt know whats'his'name had gone !?!!

Hope Roddy doesn't get it ... any football that they are playing will vanish and it'll be a game of kickshít !! Sure he had Bohs boxing in training at one stage :(

pete
07/05/2004, 10:41 AM
Pats would be the only community type club in Dublin. Still surprised their funds so low consiudering good fan base 'n all. Sounds like they'll go for cheap option this season & see how it goes...?

Macy
07/05/2004, 10:45 AM
Pats problem is that they're about the only club that are living within their means now, particularly among the Dublin Clubs. It's going to be a tough few seasons, given the overdraft they have to pay off from the few years before.

Talk of Des Kelly investing in the club and installing Shoddy, but at the moment they're both denying it.

Dodge
07/05/2004, 11:03 AM
Looking at Pats from an unemployed/younger manager...

Pros: Squad has some excellent players to work with. Players like Ndo, Blatsis and Foley would walk into any team in the country. Fan base/history shows that if the manager succeeds crowds, finances will improve. Fairly stable at the moment (despite the doom mearchants opinions..) with serious cut backs this year only going to be a good thing in the long run. (One Dublin club which recently tried to sign a player is losing 15K a week and hasn't paid players in a month)

Cons: Stuck with lightweight squad. Unable to plan for future with the wage structure as present. Salary unlikely to be huge...

Looking at it as objectively as I can (which isn't that much TBH) the Pats management job is still one of the 5 top jobs in the country. Myself I'd go for Jimmy McGeough

Roo69
07/05/2004, 12:46 PM
he had Bohs boxing in training at one stage :(

Heard stories back from one or 2 of the carlisle players that he pourpse built a boxing ring for them to train in and if you had a shocker he would spar with you and knock 7 shades of s*ite out of you ! he even got his bro steve down a few times to roughen the players up.

Dont think he has any place in the eL after his comments on eL weekley a few weeks back

WeAreRovers
07/05/2004, 2:05 PM
(One Dublin club which recently tried to sign a player is losing 15K a week and hasn't paid players in a month)

Almost but not quite correct. Gets your facts right! ;)

KOH

Dodge
07/05/2004, 2:14 PM
Almost but not quite correct. Gets your facts right! ;)

KOH
who said anything about you ? There's more than one struggling club in Dublin you know...

Éanna
07/05/2004, 2:17 PM
who said anything about you ? There's more than one struggling club in Dublin you know...
how sweet it is............. :cool:

WeAreRovers
07/05/2004, 2:48 PM
how sweet it is............. :cool:

Dodge, I hope you kept the "How long until Dolan fooks up at Cork" sweep from your old board.

KOH

Éanna
07/05/2004, 2:50 PM
doesn't need to keep it. we've been getting it on here the whole time. all we've been hearing is "don't say you weren't warned" etc., We know. But our chairman isn't a fool.

Dodge
07/05/2004, 3:25 PM
Dodge, I hope you kept the "How long until Dolan fooks up at Cork" sweep from your old board.

********, knew we were missing something…

patsh
07/05/2004, 3:53 PM

KOH
Doesn't matter, you were all wrong so far.
The guesses ranged from 6 months to 15 months.
WAR had 11 months, I believe.
Well he has been hear 13 months so far.
Ronan had 15 months, so he has two months yet to be proved right.
We are, financially, probably the healthiest club in the country.

Sorry to burst your bubbles, boys...... :p

WeAreRovers
07/05/2004, 4:04 PM
Doesn't matter, you were all wrong so far.
The guesses ranged from 6 months to 15 months.
WAR had 11 months, I believe.
Well he has been hear 13 months so far.
Ronan had 15 months, so he has two months yet to be proved right.
We are, financially, probably the healthiest club in the country.

Sorry to burst your bubbles, boys...... :p

A couple of things -

1) It is deeply, deeply sad that you remember those guesses when I couldn't even remember my own.

2) As far as my addled mind recalls, it wasn't from the start of his tenure it was a good bit later than that.

KOH

MariborKev
07/05/2004, 4:15 PM
Pats problem is that they're about the only club that are living within their means now, particularly among the Dublin Clubs.

Cough A Licence

;)

wws
10/05/2004, 8:08 AM
Marribor

get on to jim roddy and get that PA fixed

ive heard clearer announcements on the dart

Uefa licence, your havin a laff
Uefa licence, your havin a laff

patsh
10/05/2004, 8:36 AM
A couple of things -

1) It is deeply, deeply sad that you remember those guesses when I couldn't even remember my own.

2) As far as my addled mind recalls, it wasn't from the start of his tenure it was a good bit later than that.

KOH
Not sad at all.
I saw the thread on the SPA site, and took a screen shot.
I'm quite happy to see you lot eat your words......... :D

Macy
10/05/2004, 8:46 AM
Wasn't the sweep from the start of the season when the cash started to get flashed? Patsh, did I enter, can't remember?

Maribor - I said particularly Dublin clubs, but I would include ourselves as possibly being in the same boat. However, you're hardly getting return for your money so far, now you've got a licence and are spending (large amounts of) money. What'll be the excuse this season?

Dodge
10/05/2004, 9:22 AM
Not sad at all.
I saw the thread on the SPA site, and took a screen shot.
I'm quite happy to see you lot eat your words......... :D
I disagree, it is sad...

Jesus it wasn't like it was a proper sweeo or anything...

patsh
10/05/2004, 5:42 PM
I disagree, it is sad...

Says Mr. "Obessed, Pat Dolan ruined my life and our flags are bigger than yours"...... :rolleyes:

Dodge
10/05/2004, 6:07 PM
Says Mr. "Obessed, Pat Dolan ruined my life and our flags are bigger than yours"...... :rolleyes:
Yeah, I'm the obsessed one...

And find one post where I said our flags are bigger....

Neil
10/05/2004, 6:22 PM
our flags are bigger....

:rolleyes:

Dodge
10/05/2004, 6:29 PM
:rolleyes:
The point being, never once have I claimed that.

wws
11/05/2004, 9:01 AM
Glorious oppurtunity

tiktok
11/05/2004, 9:23 AM
Glorious oppurtunity

I'd agree with that.
Nice sized club, with a good local support and some decent players. While they're not flush, the manager wouldn't have to worry about money in the way Liam Buckley does, and given their current form, an improvement is almost inevitable.

The question is if Roddy Collins will bring opportunity or poison with him.

Macy
11/05/2004, 9:51 AM
The question is if Roddy Collins will bring opportunity or poison with him.
Well the rumour is that he'll bring Des Kelly and a six figure sum....