PDA

View Full Version : FAO: Cricket Fans

WeAreRovers
06/05/2004, 3:07 PM
Ireland pulled off a stunning upset in the C&G Trophy by beating Surrey
by five wickets at Castle Avenue in Dublin today.

Set a total of 262 to win, Ireland reached their target in the penultimate
over to record a famous victory over the side which finished third in last
year's Frizzell County Championship and won the Twenty20 Cup.

Ireland were always on course for the win after captain Jason Molins (58)
and Sydney-born opener Jeremy Bray (52) put on a century stand for the first
wicket.

Molins was the first to go when he was bowled by Azhar Mahmood but after Andre
Botha (17) was adjudged lbw to Ian Salisbury, Gerald Dros kept the scoreboard
ticking over with 45 from 53 balls.

He eventually went to Martin Bicknell with 41 more runs still required but
County Down's Andrew White and Kyle McCallan steered them to victory with 10
balls to spare.

Éanna
06/05/2004, 6:44 PM
fare play- always great to see an irish team do well.

Peadar
07/05/2004, 8:10 AM
fare play- always great to see an irish team do well.

Isn't it full of Aussies?

Duncan Gardner
07/05/2004, 9:18 AM
No. Of yesterday's team, seven are local players, two each from Australia and South Africa.

Duncan Gardner
07/05/2004, 9:34 AM
Who you include in your national football team is up to you. If too many of them have only a tentative connection to Ireland, then your own fans will rubbish it. Who you exclude from a passport, that's a different issue. See other threads.

I am pleased that as many as seven of the Irish cricket team are local players, but like you no problem with the other guys.

Dodge
07/05/2004, 10:02 AM
This isn't a national team per se. Its an Irish entry into the competition. If they were playing Scotland (for example) the team would be totally Irish. The ICC Cup is being hosted by Ireland next year and this acts as a qualifier for the World Cup. That team will not have the ex South Afrucan captain playing for it...

The Scottish team has been allowed entry into the national one day championship in England and they're called the Scottish Saltires. The Irish team are looking for entry too and they'll probably be called something like The Irish Greyhounds (or something equally horrible)

pete
07/05/2004, 11:03 AM
Wheer can I get my replica gear? White V neck wooley jumpers be making a big come back now :D

WeAreRovers
07/05/2004, 11:19 AM
Spot on Dodge, you weren't joking when you said that you were a fan of all sports. ;)

Ireland are playing Northants in the next round. Anyone up for a day out? No prawn sandwiches but the pints are cheap and if the weather's good it's a great way to waste a nice day.

KOH

Dodge
07/05/2004, 11:30 AM
Spot on Dodge, you weren't joking when you said that you were a fan of all sports. ;)

All sports bar GAA....

BTW missed work yesterday. :)

the 12 th man
07/05/2004, 11:32 AM

Ireland are playing Northants in the next round. Anyone up for a day out? No prawn sandwiches but the pints are cheap and if the weather's good it's a great way to waste a nice day.

KOH

nothing like seeing a few googlies being thrown at the night watchman heh :D

Sheridan
07/05/2004, 11:40 AM
All sports bar GAA....

BTW missed work yesterday. :)
You're beginning to sound like my St. Pat's alter ego. Although I personally wouldn't ever dignify Gaelic Pseudocultural Pursuits by describing them as sports.

Sheridan
07/05/2004, 11:43 AM
nothing like seeing a few googlies being thrown at the night watchman heh :D
If we see anything thrown at a night watchman in a one-day game, I, for one, shall be very surprised.

PS: I couldn't render the term correctly as nigh****chman, because of the tw@ in there.

gustavo
07/05/2004, 11:45 AM
fair play to them theres a 17 year old schoolboy in their team hopefully the negative image that the sport has here will go soon.

Aberdonian Stu
07/05/2004, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't say no to watching it if it's in Clontarf.

If they don't qualify from the ICC trophy this time they never will, narrowly missed out on qualification for the 99 World Cup (lost in a playoff with Scotland), were well out of contention in the end for the last one (despite being hot tips to qualify). Hosting it should be a big help, but if the World Cup proper is anything to go by that isn't necessarily the case as both South Africa and England will point out.

Sheridan
07/05/2004, 11:46 AM
Balls, I didn't even know this game was being played (cricket gets almost as raw a deal from the media as the eL)! Would have gone otherwise (if they'd let a Ballymun scumbag in.)

Brilliant result, here's hoping this is not another false dawn like Middlesex or Malaysia in 1997.

WeAreRovers
07/05/2004, 12:13 PM
Game due to be on Sat.29/5.....weather permitting......venue tbc.....

Well that counts me out, I'll be at my brother's wedding in Colorado. I wonder will it be on ESPN? :)

KOH

the 12 th man
07/05/2004, 8:55 PM
If we see anything thrown at a night watchman in a one-day game, I, for one, shall be very surprised.

PS: I couldn't render the term correctly as nigh****chman, because of the tw@ in there.

was wondering about the censorship meself.the t*at caught me out as well.
apologies about the nightshift gag(freudian slip),what i really meant was "chuck a few chinamen" at the tailenders :D