PDA

View Full Version : Refs being attacked?

eoinh
06/05/2004, 10:54 AM
I cant think of any incidents but apparently there have been. Disgarceful if this is so but does anybody know of such attacks?

See HERE (http://www.rte.ie/sport/2004/0506/eircomleague.html)

pete
06/05/2004, 12:00 PM
I presume they referring to the abuse that the ref took from BLOB after Bohs v Rovers & also the "fan" attacking ref at Unuted Park?

Bad as it is at least eL refs not attacked by mobs as has been known to happen in the GAA.

the 12 th man
06/05/2004, 12:00 PM
high profile one last fri in drogs v de town match.supporter :rolleyes: was arrested. also famous incident in ucd friendly (this season) when" tom the gom" chinned a linesman.,

Macy
06/05/2004, 12:39 PM
tbh I'm surprised it doesn't happen more given the standards.... Not in any condoning the "attacks" that are being unbelievably hyped. btw most of the "attacks" are supposedly by players and managers. So that's 2 this season (one fan and one management) out of how many games so far?

Dapman
06/05/2004, 4:20 PM
Prizeman from Athlone attacked the referee after the Athlone V Kildare league cup match on Monday. He was quite rightly sent of for elbowing Shay Zellor and then seemed to go a bit mad. He ran around for a few minutes trying to blame everyone else, which was the funny bit.
When he attacked the ref about 15 mnutes had elapsed and he should have calmed down, but when the ref was walking past the dressing rooms, he ran out and had a go. He had to restrained by other players and stewards. I think that this was the straw that broke the camels back, hence the meeting etc.

FalkirkFear
10/05/2004, 3:35 AM
Seen it happen quite a bit abroad, not so much in Britain apart from a few cases, also i hear quite alot of it happens at Sunday League football :)

Footie_Fan
10/05/2004, 5:18 PM
It happens too much in schoolboy/junior football. Several referee strikes over it.

4tothefloor
10/05/2004, 5:24 PM
I know it's a thankless job and refs are vital to the game, but most Sunday league refs are gob****es. Alot of them don't even have any real interest in the game and just do it for the money. Alot of them are pure stones.

Footie_Fan
10/05/2004, 6:56 PM
I know it's a thankless job and refs are vital to the game, but most Sunday league refs are gob****es. Alot of them don't even have any real interest in the game and just do it for the money. Alot of them are pure stones.

:rolleyes:
Thats the kind of attitude prevailing and all refs are been tarred with the same brush and young talent is put off.

4tothefloor
11/05/2004, 12:49 AM
I wouldn't be a ref in a million years, then again I have an understanding of the game and a good feel for it, having played the game and being a football fanatic etc, so I don't think i'd make a balls of things as badly as some of the more out of touch, shall we say, men in black.