PDA

View Full Version : Slovakia V Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 12th October 2010 - Euro 2012 Qualifier

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

tetsujin1979
10/10/2010, 12:11 PM
May as well start it now
Doyle out of the game according to rte.ie: http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2010/1010/doyle.html

It's entirely possible we could start the game with Fahey on the left, and McGeady playing behind Keane.

loscherland
10/10/2010, 12:43 PM
It's entirely possible we could start the game with Fahey on the left, and McGeady playing behind Keane.

Not if they're goin to continue to employ 'hoof the ball up the pitch' tactics!

Noelys Guitar
10/10/2010, 12:45 PM
I have a feeling he has been carrying that injury for awhile. He looked unable to get up off the ground on Friday. Will it be Sheridan to come in on Tuesday? Sheridan is OK at knock downs but poor at holding onto the ball so I would start with Long and Keane. Less humping the ball forward and more using O'Shea to bring the ball forward. I expect a better game from Lawerence. McGeady to improve again (one of his shots is going to go in soon). And I also expect to see Gibson starting.

Charlie Darwin
10/10/2010, 12:46 PM
I think Long earned himself a start on Friday, but he'll probably go with Keane/McGeady.

ifk101
10/10/2010, 1:24 PM
Martin Škrtela (Liverpool) is out for Slovakia. Possible that Miroslav Stoch will also miss the game through injury.

Dodge
10/10/2010, 1:28 PM
I think Long earned himself a start on Friday, but he'll probably go with Keane/McGeady.

But will he start wide right (where he played on Friday)?

Predator
10/10/2010, 1:59 PM
I don't think there will be drastic changes to tactics, only personnel. Trap will probably stick to 4-4-2, with Long partnering Keane in attack. Depending on how the game goes, he may switch to 4-5-1.

From the Irish Times, Tardelli is quoted as saying:

"It is a problem because Doyle is an important player for us but we have young players like Shane Long and Andy Keogh,” said Trapattoni’s assistant Marco Tardelli this morning. “It is possible that the manager will decide to pick a young player like them. They are good players, without experience, maybe, but they are good players.“You saw Long play well against Russia and he scored a goal.”

Noelys Guitar
10/10/2010, 2:08 PM
I don't think there will be drastic changes to tactics, only personnel. Trap will probably stick to 4-4-2, with Long partnering Keane in attack. Depending on how the game goes, he may switch to 4-5-1.

From the Irish Times, Tardelli is quoted as saying:

"It is a problem because Doyle is an important player for us but we have young players like Shane Long and Andy Keogh,” said Trapattoni’s assistant Marco Tardelli this morning. “It is possible that the manager will decide to pick a young player like them. They are good players, without experience, maybe, but they are good players.“You saw Long play well against Russia and he scored a goal.”

Sounds like Long then. No point hoofing it into the box with two small players up front so it will call for a change of tactics or at least a tweak of tactics. Having said that Long did win one ball in the air against Russia on Friday were he got above two bigger opponents.

Stuttgart88
10/10/2010, 2:31 PM
Long's the obvious replacement after Saturday in my opinion. He won his fair share in the air and looked sharper than Robbie, so I reckon Trap will see it as like-for-like, more or less. Not having Doyle's aerial strength may force us to play it on the deck a bit more anyway. Sheridan or Keogh as bench options.

I think Fahey did his chances no harm on Friday night. He must be pushing very close and hopefully he'll be in CM alongside Whelan. I know Whelan was underwhelming on Friday but I'd stick with him.

My preference would be to restore the Dunne / JOS partnership with Foley coming in at RB. Leave KK at LB in absence of a better option, though maybe JOS at left back. I don't care that some people think he can't play there. It's not his best position but he's arguably the best option we have there.

noddy102
10/10/2010, 2:37 PM
Without Doyle and without any obvious big man (like Sheridan or potentially Walters in the near future), Trap won't adopt a long ball game.

What game plan he will choose, I haven't a clue.

I think he'll go with a 5 man midfield, and he'll play Fahey.

boovidge
10/10/2010, 2:40 PM
I really don't see the point in disturbing our settled back four line to put in someone with very little international experience and who brings little, if any, extra quality to what we already have.

noddy102
10/10/2010, 2:52 PM
There's no need to go change the back four.

He needs to bring in a left back for Kilbane against Norway. We cannot rely on Kilbane for the whole campaign.

I think St. Ledger and Dunne work well together and O'Shea is a good solid right back. Unless he wants to blood Foley or Coleman at right back against Norway, I wouldn't be for changing the back four at all (except for changing left back).

Without Doyle, Tuesday night's game is going to be hugely difficult. We'll need a big performance form both McGeady and Lawrence, if they are both fit.

Stuttgart88
10/10/2010, 2:58 PM
I think the back 4 can be stronger and Foley would add more fluency down the right side. I think full back is a crucial position for deveoping play and retaining possession, and while Dunne / SSL is good enough it's not as good as Dunne / JOS. I do agree though that improving midfield is the priority.

shakermaker1982
10/10/2010, 2:59 PM
Given

O'Shea Dunne St Ledger Kilbane

Long Lawrence Whelan Fahey McGeady

Keane

Long tries to support Keane when we have ball. That's what I think he'll do. Other option is Gibson instead of Long. Leave Lawrence on right and let Gibson break forward when he can. Slovakia looked dodgy at the back. Particularly at LB, somebody like Long or Coleman could get a lot of joy down that side because of their pace.

SwanVsDalton
10/10/2010, 3:09 PM
Martin Škrtela (Liverpool) is out for Slovakia. Possible that Miroslav Stoch will also miss the game through injury.

Both are out, as well as main goalscorer Robert Vittek:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/inconsistent-slovaks-love-the-big-stage-2372863.html

With Doyle out, I'm expecting Long to start and hoping Gibson to come in to actual help supply which will be a physically less imposing front line. Though I wouldn't complain if it was Fahey either. Like Stutts I'd hold on to Whelan, he's knows he was well below par on Friday but should be looking to bounce back and he has far more in the locker than Green. Don't see much point in changing the back four though I do think this could the last competitive fixture with that four, new defensive options have to be given a run against Norway.

As much as it could be beneficial, I can't see any change to the system. Don't think Trap trusts the players enough to go 4-5-1 although I think a formation with McGeady/Gibson behind Keane would be potentially very interesting.

Crosby87
10/10/2010, 3:10 PM
The Duffer could have found some room. Shame he is so fragile.
When is Connor Clifford going to be able to crack a lineup so he can be in the mix?
Cliffy.....Jimmy Mac.....Dave Myler.......welcome to our World Cup lineup in Brasil. Might as well get it going now.

Predator
10/10/2010, 3:39 PM
Long's the obvious replacement after Saturday in my opinion. He won his fair share in the air and looked sharper than Robbie, so I reckon Trap will see it as like-for-like, more or less. Not having Doyle's aerial strength may force us to play it on the deck a bit more anyway. Sheridan or Keogh as bench options.Exactly. We might be allowed to see how well the lads can play football.

geysir
10/10/2010, 3:43 PM
No use placing Fahey at CM, he won't be played in that position.

Is there a hope that Whelan can improve on that awful wooden display?
He is not playing for his club, he was the first to be substituted. I'd imagine that on Trap's scale of below par performance, his was by far the worst.
I'd say Trap's faith in him, ever developing into our main CM, has been slowly eroded these past few games and Friday was the last straw.

Gibson should be sensing that Whelan is a wounded animal and get in a few tackles in the practice games.

ifk101
10/10/2010, 4:01 PM
Based on how Trapattoni has used Long, I think Keogh is more likely to start as Keane's partner on Tuesday.

Other than the forced change with Doyle's injury, I don't think Trapattoni will make any more changes to the starting line-up. He's not exactly known for making widespread changes.

elroy
10/10/2010, 4:07 PM
From Slovakian lad on YBIG:
"Stoch is injured, Vittek injured, Skrtel on the cards, Strba ended up his national carrier today.
Durica from Lokomotive Moskov was called up as center back.
our best goalscorer from last campaign is completely out of form. I think we might struggle against Ireland"

We really must not lose this game no matter what. With Doyle out, I think we might start Tuesday similar to how we ended on Friday, with Long on the wing and McGeady with a free role behind Keane. Alternatively, he might go with Gibson to play in the role behind Keane. Would def prefer either of these two changes than say playing Keogh/Sheridan as second strikers.

elroy
10/10/2010, 4:11 PM
Also considering how dodgy the Russian defence was on Friday night, I think a Russian win in Macedonia is far from a forgone conclusion.

SwanVsDalton
10/10/2010, 4:15 PM
No use placing Fahey at CM, he won't be played in that position.

Is there a hope that Whelan can improve on that awful wooden display?
He is not playing for his club, he was the first to be substituted. I'd imagine that on Trap's scale of below par performance, his was by far the worst.
I'd say Trap's faith in him, ever developing into our main CM, has been slowly eroded these past few games and Friday was the last straw.

Gibson should be sensing that Whelan is a wounded animal and get in a few tackles in the practice games.

Most would agree Whelan can play a lot better than he did on Friday, he has done numerous times for Ireland and I'd expect him to be given another chance. Not getting a game for Stoke may be the reason for his form but he'll be hurting from Friday and I think he deserves another shot before being thrown on the scrap heap. Besides if Whelan is for the knacker's yard, then it pretty much makes Green dead and buried. We possibly need a brand new CM, but can't see Trap throwing the two out for Tuesday. For me Whelan's potential offers more than Green's limitations. You're right about Gibson though - he should be training this week with serious verve, he's got a real opportunity to establish himself.

geysir
10/10/2010, 4:55 PM
The fixation for our CM solidity is to have a Gattusa like quality present. I don't think for one minute that Green is the player that will do that job for us long term, he turned up whereas McCarthy didn't and Andrews is injured. We don't have anybody resembling a Gattusa, probably thats why we have 2 players to do one man's job.
Regardless of who he has in the midfield pairing he will want at least one with scavenger qualities. I really think the Whelan experiment has run it's course.
It is just not on for our top centre midfielder to turn up with that form level.

I'd have a preferance for McGeady on the right, even if he is ambipedal I think he is better for us on that side and have Fahey on the left.

Noelys Guitar
10/10/2010, 5:19 PM
Lawerence is a doubt for the game and Dunne has sat out training today. If Lawerence is unable to play then his place might go to Long with Keogh upfront. I really hope Dunne is OK.

Sullivinho
10/10/2010, 5:21 PM
I'd be happy enough giving Long a run out. He's busier and more aggressive than Keogh or Sheridan. Slovakia's injuries are a bonus, how's their strength in depth? They were shocking out in Armenia but if memory serves, they were a bit Jekyll and Hyde during the World Cup too.

Massive game this.

Billsthoughts
10/10/2010, 5:39 PM
what time is kick off on tuesday irish time?

Kingdom
10/10/2010, 5:44 PM
Slovakia on Tuesday really is an interesting game. All things being equal (form, injuries etc) I see us (and have seen us) as being better every time. It's not arrogance, I just don't think they're the team a lot of people make them out to be. That said we were shocking against Russia. The weird thing is that when we (in other games and Friday) get the ball down and play it sprightly, we can do good things.

The fear though is that we could be overrun in the middle and that is what happened. This problem shouldn't be the case on Tuesday.

The injury to Skrtel could be crucial. Vittek being out, as well as Stoch really should be a fillup for our management and the players. I can't think of a specific man marker that we have if someone needs to be watched. Weiss could be that someone. Hamsik could be a cause for concern. Our formation will be telling.

In theory if we're to up the ante and start placing more emphasis on passing the ball then Fahey and Gibson probably should be in the team at the expense of Green and with Doyle's injury. I would have no issue with Lawro dropping to the bench and replacing with long either.

I disagree with anyone who says out back 4 is sorted. Our best partnership at the back is Richard Dunne and John O'Shea. Our problem is having two competent full backs. In this scenario St Ledger has proved able and a good partner for Dunne, but inferior to the Dunne/O'Shea.
Our full back options (as per the squad) therefore are O'Shea, Kilbane, Kelly, Foley, Coleman, Cunningham.
Is now the time to experiment with two new full backs and a revised centre half partnership? Probably not, as a positive result on Tuesday is crucial, and it's bloody well achievable.
I wouldn't have done so before, but I do now agree that we seriously have to look at Josh at left full, particularily if he doesn't trust Ste Kelly there (when he's performed as good as KK has). Josh isn't a world beater there, but he's the best option we have, leaving a slot for either Kelly or Foley at right back, options I'm happy enough with. Norway in Nov and the Celtic cup clash in March & may need to unearth two full backs for the next two campaigns. That's imperative now.

I think I'd like to see the back 5 line up as:

------------------------------------------Given--------------------------------------
Josh------------------Dunne------------------------------Ledger---------------Kelly

with either of these option ahead of them:

-----------------------------Gibson------Whelan------Fahey-------------------------
------------------------------------Long--------McGeady-----------------------------
------------------------------------------Keane--------------------------------------

or:

-----------------------------------------Whelan------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------Gibson-------------------------------------

-------------Long-----------------------McGeady-------------------Fahey----------
-----------------------------------------Keane--------------------------------------

with Sheridan, Keogh, Lawrence, Wilson, Foley, Killer, Westwood on the bench.

Oh, and that if a player is dropped, that his career isn't over, he's just dropped for form.

Charlie Darwin
10/10/2010, 5:59 PM
The Armenians had lots of luck down the flanks - and through the middle, to be fair, but mainly down the flanks. The Slovakian left back basically threw in the towel and started fouling the winger every time he ran at him. As Lawrence is not an orthodox winger, it might not be the worst thing in the world to have Long or McGeady on him instead.

geysir
10/10/2010, 6:10 PM
I just can't see McGeady filing the role in front of our striker. It's a nice theory but that's about all.
I have seen McGeady play many times for Celtic and I have seen him used a few times in the middle but without success. He was at his least effective when he hung around the middle on friday night.

Charlie Darwin
10/10/2010, 6:11 PM
Did he ever play that role when Keane was at Parkhead? I can think of several reasons why he wouldn't have looked amazing playing off Samaras or Marc-Antoine Fortune.

The Fly
10/10/2010, 6:48 PM
I'd have a preferance for McGeady on the right, even if he is ambipedal I think he is better for us on that side and have Fahey on the left.

.....don't forget gangerous as well!

ifk101
10/10/2010, 7:52 PM
Who will Green look to swap jerseys with at the final whistle? Hamsik?

EastTerracer
10/10/2010, 8:34 PM
The Slovakian viewpoint isn't much more optimistic than ours....
http://britskibelasi.footballunited.com/2010/10/10/slovakia-v-ireland-preview/

SwanVsDalton
10/10/2010, 8:35 PM
what time is kick off on tuesday irish time?

7.30pm according to extratime.ie: http://www.extratime.ie/fixtures/

Who will Green look to swap jerseys with at the final whistle? Hamsik?

He might want to hold on to it, probably won't get many more.

SwanVsDalton
10/10/2010, 8:39 PM

On that occasion, Ďurica dealt with Milan Baroš, his immediate opponent, rather as an alpha-male father might deal with a whining toddler.

Sounds like the right man to mark Robbie.

geysir
10/10/2010, 8:44 PM
Did he ever play that role when Keane was at Parkhead? I can think of several reasons why he wouldn't have looked amazing playing off Samaras or Marc-Antoine Fortune.
It was under Strachan, but I can't remember which games.
I think it's enough that he parks himself out wide and drift inside more often.
With Lawrence out, he will probably play on the right.
Though Trap could spring a surprise and play Coleman at rm, it's too dark outside to see if pigs are flying.

Stuttgart88
10/10/2010, 8:56 PM
Also considering how dodgy the Russian defence was on Friday night, I think a Russian win in Macedonia is far from a forgone conclusion.

The most embarrassing thing about Friday is that it took Russia 2 games against Andorra to score 3 goals. Andorra gave them a tougher game than we did.

elroy
10/10/2010, 9:00 PM

Interesting read. If the formation outlined here is true, then with Slovakia adopting a 4-2-3-1 formation, surely we MUST go for a five in midfield as well. Looks like Whelan feels the same: "if Slovakia play five in the middle, we know we're going to have to change something"

Stuttgart88
10/10/2010, 9:05 PM
http://britskibelasi.footballunited.com/2010/10/10/slovakia-v-ireland-preview/Why should they be optimistic? They could have shipped 5 or 6 in Armenia and are missing some key players.

If we're up for this game, play properly and survive the inevitable scary moments we might win this one. I just hope to God that we don't go out there thinking a draw will be a good result. It might turn out that way but we should be trying hard to win this one.

We need someone to man mark Weiss methinks.

Noelys Guitar
10/10/2010, 9:10 PM
For me the worst part of Fridays game was how we started the second half ie exactly as we finished the first half. Whelan (who admitted today that he is suffering from some niggling injuries) should have been subbed at HT. He looked as though he was carrying an injury. So did Doyle. Great attitude for turning up and being prepared to play through the pain barrier (Richard Dunne also) Especially when you think of the likes of S.Ireland and the other leg rester in Preston. Back to the game on Tuesday. I have a feeling the starting 11 will be Given
O'Shea Dunne St Ledger Kilbane
McGeady Gibson Green Keogh
Long Keane

Stuttgart88
10/10/2010, 9:16 PM
Maybe Trap was misunderstood. He wanted people to play it to Long, but his English wasn't good enough so they kept playing it long.

This is a very interesting team selection and tactical selection to debate. One of the most exciting things for me when Trap was appointed was the expectation of new and varying tactics depending on what circumstance dictated. It hasn't quite turned out that way! Any changes have been subtle rather than overt.

Noelys Guitar
10/10/2010, 9:18 PM
Why should they be optimistic? They could have shipped 5 or 6 in Armenia and are missing some key players.

If we're up for this game, play properly and survive the inevitable scary moments we might win this one. I just hope to God that we don't go out there thinking a draw will be a good result. It might turn out that way but we should be trying hard to win this one.

We need someone to man mark Weiss methinks.
he was lucky he wasn't sent off against Armenia. Went for a "Robbie first half Russia" in the box when no one near him and then when the Armenian defender called him on it he made a grab for the throat. Took his goal very well and will have to be watched. Something I noticed about Slovakia in the Armenian game and there game against Macedonia. They are well up there in the darker arts of football re throw ins miles from the original spot of ball going out of play. Time wasting and plenty of feigning injury. Be warned.

DeNiro
10/10/2010, 9:38 PM
Maybe this has been already posted but Westwood is out, Brian Murphy called up according to extraime.ie

backstothewall
10/10/2010, 9:57 PM
Who is likely to replace Škrtel? I know there has been criticism of the style of play, but if they can't replace his physicality it might be worth playing Sheridan or Daryl Murphy. Robbie always looks best next to a big man.

I don't think Keane would be terribly good up front on his own, so I think we are stuck with 4-4-2.

I would go with

----------------Given-----------------
Foley -- Dunne -- St. Ledger -- O'Shea
Lawrence - Wilson - Whelan - McGeady
----------Keane - Murphy-------------

Don't think we should be making to many changes right now but the Norway friendly needs to be used to get a good look at people like Foley, McCarthy, Walters etc.

geysir
10/10/2010, 10:15 PM
Lawrence is already out,
you need a major repair job there.

Also, Murphy?

backstothewall
10/10/2010, 10:46 PM
Lawrence is already out,
you need a major repair job there.

Also, Murphy?

I'd call up Murphy as a replacement for Doyle. He's playing games and scoring goals for Celtic.

Forgot about Lawrence. The squad is looking really threadbare. Bring in McCarthy maybe

geysir
10/10/2010, 10:54 PM
I don't think players can be simply called up, clubs require notice as well as it's extremely unlikely to happen.
There are a few on standby.
Have you seen Murphy play this season for Celtic?

backstothewall
10/10/2010, 11:18 PM
To be fair I haven't watched them since the European qualifiers. But he has been getting games, and scored a couple, albeit from the penalty spot. Basically I reckon Murphy because he is playing, and we don't have many other physical forwards. I know some people will say its nuts calling someone up because he can put himself about a bit, but throughout his career Robbie has always looked better beside a powerful forward, be it Viduka, Mido, Berbatov etc.

Charlie Darwin
10/10/2010, 11:25 PM
Is Berbatov powerful? I'd agree in general though. It'll probably count in Long's favour when the team is announced (tomorrow I assume?)

Noelys Guitar
10/10/2010, 11:29 PM
Is Berbatov powerful? I'd agree in general though. It'll probably count in Long's favour when the team is announced (tomorrow I assume?)

For the first time ever (under Trap( as far as I can recall) the team will not be announced until the earliest Tuesday afternoon.