PDA

View Full Version : Slovakia V Republic of Ireland - Tuesday, 12th October 2010 - Euro 2012 Qualifier

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

SwanVsDalton
11/10/2010, 11:14 PM
I never understood sending Sledge up for corners and free kicks. I know he scored against Italy but he really isn't that good at attacking the ball in the air and he doesn't look very tall. Dunne and JOSH are better options.

I think it's typical Trap conservatism. Keep your best defender at home to thwart any possible counter attack. I agree though he's a great threat from set-plays.

Crosby87
11/10/2010, 11:40 PM
I think Slovakia wins 2-1 on two less than stellar goals, people go crazy on this website and Stephen (we don't need him) Ireland is begged to come back through a seriously organized online petiton.
I also think Trap steps down a few days after the loss, frustrated with his percieved lack of options and tired of the Irish media.
Good news is I'm usually wrong about this stuff although I did win my office football pool this weekend.

tetsujin1979
11/10/2010, 11:57 PM
I think it's typical Trap conservatism. Keep your best defender at home to thwart any possible counter attack. I agree though he's a great threat from set-plays.
It could just be as simple as Dunne not being able to make it back into defence in time after a set piece breaks down. He has been playing with a back problem, and doesn't want to aggravate it.

Fixer82
12/10/2010, 2:12 AM
In fairness to Long he is quite good in the air and won a few knock-downs to Keane when he came on against the Rooskys

Fixer82
12/10/2010, 3:01 AM
And...in fairness to Green he was thrown in at the deep end. From playing Scunthorpe to playing Russia. Big jump
I remember when Andrews first came on the scene people were calling for his head but now he's a definite starter when fit...

DannyInvincible
12/10/2010, 6:40 AM
I think Slovakia wins 2-1 on two less than stellar goals, people go crazy on this website and Stephen (we don't need him) Ireland is begged to come back through a seriously organized online petiton.
I also think Trap steps down a few days after the loss, frustrated with his percieved lack of options and tired of the Irish media.
Good news is I'm usually wrong about this stuff although I did win my office football pool this weekend.

I don't think there's much interest in bringing Stephen Ireland back into the squad, never mind begging him to return. Even if we were to lose tonight, I can't see that changing and it would disappoint me if we were to stoop to such. As for Trap feeling he may have a lack of options, if that ever was the case, I'm genuinely not sure who he could blame other than himself.

Lionel Ritchie
12/10/2010, 7:50 AM
I think we'll get something out of tonight. In fact i think it's entirely possible there'll be three teams on seven points tonight and all.

paul_oshea
12/10/2010, 7:52 AM
Why cant we never come out like teams and say we are going to win, only one winner etc etc, instead from the off defeatist attitude. Look at russia last week, slovakia tonight. I could see us being 1 -0 up and hten conceding and being happy to play for the draw, it really does get frustrating after a while.

paul_oshea
12/10/2010, 7:55 AM
I think we'll get something out of tonight. In fact i think it's entirely possible there'll be three teams on seven points tonight and all.

All the more reason why we should be on 10 after tonight.....

Lads Russia are not going to slip up in Skopje if they play like they did against us.

DannyInvincible
12/10/2010, 8:00 AM
All the more reason why we should be on 10 after tonight.....

Indeed, I have always thought we ought to petition FIFA for four points per Irish win after the Paris fiasco. :P

paul_oshea
12/10/2010, 8:07 AM
I was refering to the fact that if russia draw. do i really have to write everything out in plain and simple english or do people just never see the point?!

dr_peepee
12/10/2010, 9:29 AM
I think Long will do reasonably well tonight. Consistency is the reason he's still at Reading more so than abillity. He's turned it on in fits and starts in the past and held his own against bigger teams (whilst Reading were in the top flight and in recent cup games).

I actually don't see us loosing tonight. Both teams are coming of the back of recent defeats and are eager to atone. I would hope we're going to be cautious difficult to break down however loosing to Armenia and playing the next game so soon after at home I feel Slovakia will be more keen to open up and push for the win.

It's been too long coming but McGeady needs to step up tonight. All our big names are in some form of rut at club level at the minute bar him.

shakermaker1982
12/10/2010, 9:44 AM
I'm tipping Slovakai to beat us (and hopefully I'm jinx em). I'm sick of being positive, a bit of negativity for once might see a reverse in our fortunes....

Slovakia 2 Ireland 1. Both teams start out cagey. They score first, we do what we always do and put up a bit of fight. We get an equaliser, celebrate as if we have won the game and they go and score in the 87th minute from a corner.

The Trap is ridiculed. The players revolt and we are all depressed Thursday morning. A foot.ie campaign starts up asking the FAI to bring back Brian Kerr after the Faroe Islands beat Northern Ireland 5 nil.

Stuttgart88
12/10/2010, 9:59 AM
I never understood sending Sledge up for corners and free kicks. I know he scored against Italy but he really isn't that good at attacking the ball in the air and he doesn't look very tall. Dunne and JOSH are better options.I disagree - Sledge scored against Italy and nearly scored in Armenia. He had a very good goalscoring run for PNE last season. I think he attacks the ball well in the opposition box. Despite his 2 goals last time out, both from Hunt deliveries, Dunne doesn't impress me as much in this regard.

Long surprised me with how well he did in the air on Friday.

Stuttgart88
12/10/2010, 10:01 AM
do i really have to write everything out in plain and simple englishJust once would be nice

Colbert Report
12/10/2010, 11:44 AM
say bye bye to Paul Green. This guy is brutal . I don’t care how much effort he puts in it does not change this fact. James O Connor is a much better player than he is in fact many of the central midfielders in the LOI are better than him.

Uh......no. If there were any players in the LOI that were better than him, then they'd be playing for Derby in the Championship. The lowest paid player in their squad is making far more than the top paid player in the entire LOI.

Noelys Guitar
12/10/2010, 12:01 PM
Tonight all depends on how well Slovakia play. If the replacement players they have to bring in play well then we are in trouble. Good as Long was on Friday it will be that much harder for him starting in this game as a lot is expected (and hopefully he delivers). We always look vunerable at the back from free kicks around the box and corners (Given has to take some of the blame for this as he nevers comes off his line). We had three players on the line when Russia scored their frist goal. Why? We sometimes seem halfway between Rafa Zonal marking and actual man marking. Just the latter please tonight. On the plus side Keane usually gets better the more back to back playing time he gets and he along with the in-form McGeady can cause that Slovakia some real problems unless they unearth a gem from somewere. To close to call this one.

geysir
12/10/2010, 12:09 PM
We always look vunerable at the back from free kicks around the box and corners (Given has to take some of the blame for this as he nevers comes off his line). We had three players on the line when Russia scored their frist goal. Why? We sometimes seem halfway between Rafa Zonal marking and actual man marking. Just the latter please tonight.
Just when I thought our back 4 look very composed facing Armenia, we reverted to type against Russia.

shakermaker1982
12/10/2010, 12:17 PM
Tonight all depends on how well Slovakia play. If the replacement players they have to bring in play well then we are in trouble. Good as Long was on Friday it will be that much harder for him starting in this game as a lot is expected (and hopefully he delivers). We always look vunerable at the back from free kicks around the box and corners (Given has to take some of the blame for this as he nevers comes off his line). We had three players on the line when Russia scored their frist goal. Why? We sometimes seem halfway between Rafa Zonal marking and actual man marking. Just the latter please tonight. On the plus side Keane usually gets better the more back to back playing time he gets and he along with the in-form McGeady can cause that Slovakia some real problems unless they unearth a gem from somewere. To close to call this one.

I think Kilbane was picking up the guy who scored from the first goal. As soon as the ball pinged around the box he ran to cover the post?! I don't think Whelan was aware of the guy behind him. When I'm defending set pieces I stick with the man I'm picking up until the ball is cleared/safe. If that guy scores = cue moaning for 10 minutes!!!

bholg
12/10/2010, 12:27 PM
It's been too long coming but McGeady needs to step up tonight...

This statement is made before every single game. And not just on this board.

Noelys Guitar
12/10/2010, 12:32 PM
Just had a look again at the first two goals for Russia on Friday night. Some nice football from Russia but the defending is criminal. United Churches League (no disrespect to the UCL) Division 4 midtable would be ashamed of what went on. We have five players heading back towards our goal for their first leaving three Russians unmarked. Whelan decides its not for him and allows the scorer a free shot. Some nice Russian one touch football leading to their second but look at Kilbane and St Ledger. First of all Kilbane is caught out of position. Then to compund things he never closes down the Russian winger (sticks out his right leg on the edge of our box with the Russian out on the wing. Why not go out to the player?). Then St ledger is just ball watching (nice finish though from the Russian player). This is the first time I have looked back at the game and I did not realise how bad the defending actually was at the time. Got to be stamped out tonight.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiNEipsUR7A

geysir
12/10/2010, 12:33 PM
It's a team game and McGeady is on form with his offensive play.

Kingdom
12/10/2010, 12:33 PM
I seem to be the only person laying the blame for the first goal squarely at Shay Given's door.....

On another matter, if Fahey is selected, there is more of an option of playing 3-2-1 than there is if Lawro is playing, where we go 4 & 2.

Noelys Guitar
12/10/2010, 12:38 PM
And on that video you can see that Keane was definetely clipped for the peno which explains the Russian's muted complaints.

jbyrne
12/10/2010, 12:48 PM
I seem to be the only person laying the blame for the first goal squarely at Shay Given's door.....

not squarely but largely so. look at what whelan does, what was he up to at all?

Stuttgart88
12/10/2010, 12:49 PM
I seem to be the only person laying the blame for the first goal squarely at Shay Given's door.....He's definitely culpable to a large degree.

tetsujin1979
12/10/2010, 1:03 PM
I seem to be the only person laying the blame for the first goal squarely at Shay Given's door.....I posted on another forum that he made the same mistake I've seen him make in a lot of recent Ireland games, letting the ball bounce off his chest before attempting to catch it.
Also, just before the shot comes in, McGeady turns on the far post to run with the ball. I know its his first instinct, but no defender would ever do that, he'd put his foot through the ball to clear it, and the danger with it.

EastTerracer
12/10/2010, 1:06 PM
And on that video you can see that Keane was definetely clipped for the peno which explains the Russian's muted complaints.

I wonder did the Sunday Independent bother to look at any replays before branding Robbie a cheat on Sunday and suggesting it was a blatant dive.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/echoes-of-henry-in-robbies-theatrical-fall-from-grace-2372854.html

We all know he is prone to wave his arms about too much but he gets an undue amount of criticism from Indo in particular.

tetsujin1979
12/10/2010, 1:10 PM
We all know he is prone to wave his arms about too much but he gets an undue amount of criticism from Indo in particular.
The whole FAI setup is getting an undue amount of criticism from the Independent at the moment for some reason. Daniel McDonnell in particular has been over the top in his criticism.

Noelys Guitar
12/10/2010, 1:10 PM

On another matter, if Fahey is selected, there is more of an option of playing 3-2-1 than there is if Lawro is playing, where we go 4 & 2.
Your right. I didn't realise the ball actually reached Given from the free kick.

Noelys Guitar
12/10/2010, 1:13 PM
I wonder did the Sunday Independent bother to look at any replays before branding Robbie a cheat on Sunday and suggesting it was a blatant dive.
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/echoes-of-henry-in-robbies-theatrical-fall-from-grace-2372854.html

Agree. Fairly baseless, nasty stuff they come out with about Keane. Horrible rag anyway.

geysir
12/10/2010, 1:20 PM
Trap to the press.
“Your job is to criticise and I understand that,” he continued. “The difference is I must decide about the game beforehand while you get to decide afterwards.”

zero
12/10/2010, 1:29 PM
i just want 7.30 to hurry along at this stage. i'm not really looking forward to this game in the same way i was the russia match, and as it gets closer i'm starting to think i'd be relatively happy with a point.

finding it hard to focus on work and it's only half two...

the performance definitely has to improve but what we really need is a result. i think they'll score so we'll have to - hopefully more than once, and probably as a result of a set piece.

paul_oshea
12/10/2010, 1:32 PM
zero i was thinking the exact same re just want the day to end and the game to start.

harpstilidie
12/10/2010, 1:42 PM
i just want 7.30 to hurry along and this stage. i'm not really looking forward to this game in the same way i was the russia match, and as it gets closer i'm starting to think i'd be relatively happy with a point.
finding it hard to focus on work and it's only half two...

the performance definitely has to improve but what we really need is a result. i think they'll score so we'll have to - hopefully more than once, and probably as a result of a set piece.

I don't think a point is good enough. We need 3 imo especially after Friday's game. Tonight's game worries me and it has the potentail to seriously seriously damage our qualification hopes.

paul_oshea
12/10/2010, 1:48 PM
Blips are acceptable(almost), but tonight really will show what trap is made of, the character of the players, the actual trust and belief of the players in traps system, traps trust in the players and finally whether we have turned a point and moved up a level. Tonight for me is make or break, of how far we have come with Trap. If we draw we haven't come any further, just like we were under kerr, hard to beat but thats about it.

And obviously the other two results I dont have to spell out.

harpstilidie
12/10/2010, 1:54 PM
Blips are acceptable(almost), but tonight really will show what trap is made of, the character of the players, the actual trust and belief of the players in traps system, traps trust in the players and finally whether we have turned a point and moved up a level. Tonight for me is make or break, of how far we have come with Trap. If we draw we haven't come any further, just like we were under kerr, hard to beat but thats about it.

And obviously the other two results I dont have to spell out.

Agree 100%.

Kingdom
12/10/2010, 1:55 PM
Unfortunately (or fortunately) going by whats been said on another forum, the players are believing in their own system.

Noelys Guitar
12/10/2010, 2:02 PM
Is Fahey definetely starting instead of the injured Lawerence? Was the team just announced on Newstalk? Can't find it anywhere else yet.

Duggie
12/10/2010, 2:15 PM
like the rest of ye im waiting for kick off, nervous but hopefull!!! i have a feeling long might just get on the end of something and score. hope to fck we get a win..........

Noelys Guitar
12/10/2010, 2:22 PM
I think the reason we are all semi-****ting ouselves is we don't know what Ireland team is going to turn up. We have to look at this as an opportunity to do some real damage to one of our main opponents and grab all 3 points. Once of the good things under Trap (and he said it himself over the weekend) is that we play better away from home.

paul_oshea
12/10/2010, 2:25 PM
i think the slovaks are capable of folding, if we get in early and go 2 - 0 or that i could really see them losing interest. They had no interest or game plan against the armenians, they looked lethargic, lazy, disinterested and unmotivated for the whole second half against Armenia. THey will not be like that at home however, but if we can frustrate them we could see the same slovakia as friday night.

Btw, i got a text saying lots of irish hadn't got tickets out there? i assume the slovaks wont take up their full allocation, even if it is away from bratislava?

rebelmusic
12/10/2010, 2:27 PM
I think the reason we are all semi-****ting ouselves is we don't know what Ireland team is going to turn up. We have to look at this as an opportunity to do some real damage to one of our main opponents and grab all 3 points. Once of the good things under Trap (and he said it himself over the weekend) is that we play better away from home.

And that really should be a massive concern for him. Traditionally it's been the other way around, the Aviva should be feared by opposing teams.

Kingdom
12/10/2010, 2:37 PM
I fully believe we're going to win tonight. I've backed them to win too! I just hope the team believes in themselves.

Fahey selected could prove to be a turning point. With himself and Long selected, it leaves more room for manoevre with changing tactics throughout the game. If they want to go three in the middle with two wide, it's doable with McGeady and Long (also would be doable with Doyle) and the two lads sitting with Fahey ahead, or with the two lads sitting, McGeady ahead and the two boys on the flank.

Obviously Keith and Aiden are more interchangable than Lawro and Aiden.

Interesting.

paul_oshea
12/10/2010, 2:39 PM
Kingdom ive herad you say this stuff on loads of occasions and you have always been wrong.

jbyrne
12/10/2010, 2:41 PM
Btw, i got a text saying lots of irish hadn't got tickets out there? i assume the slovaks wont take up their full allocation, even if it is away from bratislava?

heard somewhere that John Delaney had purchased tickets locally to help our fans out. dont know for sure its true though

Noelys Guitar
12/10/2010, 2:41 PM
Where are the match officials from does anyone know. Could be very important in a match like this. We have to maintain our composure in this game with no St Ledger type tackles from the other night. The Slovaks are crafty at playing the ref in the few games I have seen them in. Stop them but no mad lunges.

paul_oshea
12/10/2010, 2:44 PM
sh1te ive got to do an interview at 5.30 and all i can think about is the game and getting out in time so i can get to the pub. how was i this stupid i didnt think of the game when agreeing to the interview....:8:

Kingdom
12/10/2010, 2:47 PM
Kingdom ive herad you say this stuff on loads of occasions and you have always been wrong.

Which bit? Good luck in the Interview btw.
If it's about tactics, of course I'll be wrong, I'm stating an observation that perhaps only I see.

Noelys Guitar
12/10/2010, 2:50 PM
sh1te ive got to do an interview at 5.30 and all i can think about is the game and getting out in time so i can get to the pub. how was i this stupid i didnt think of the game when agreeing to the interview....:8:
Get someone to call in the old "mysterious emergency" and you have to cancel. Be sure to tell said caller to make sure there are no clinking glasses, what are ya having, hurry up Tom I'm parched background sounds.