PDA

View Full Version : Ireland vs England - 1976

PaulB
05/05/2004, 1:11 PM
Here's one for the old die-hards. Recently got hold of a program from the Eng-Irl game at Wembley in 1976. Listed among the forwards was an M. Dennehy of Walsall. Anyone ever heard of him ? I remember the game, but have no re-collection of this man whatsoever.

Heighyway/Stapleton and Givens up front, wouldn't mind that now..

RiffRaff
05/05/2004, 1:18 PM
Miah Dennehy - think he played for Cork Hibs and Notts Forest as well, but I'm not sure.

Plastic Paddy
05/05/2004, 1:22 PM
That'd be Miah Dennehy, a right-winger who started out at Cork Hibs before being transferred to Nottingham Forest for £20,000 in 1972 (way before RMK joined them for a similar fee...!) and then to Walsall, where he spent three years in the mid-1970s. He was capped 11 times in all between 1972 and 1977. As for "where is he now"? Not a clue, I'm afraid.

:) PP

the 12 th man
05/05/2004, 1:36 PM
That'd be Miah Dennehy, a right-winger who started out at Cork Hibs

cork hibs goalie at that time was the legendary "big joe o grady"a collossus of a man.left full i think was john herrick who i think has a son playing in the e/l??

Sheridan
05/05/2004, 1:44 PM
That'd be Miah Dennehy, a right-winger who started out at Cork Hibs before being transferred to Nottingham Forest for £20,000 in 1972 (way before RMK joined them for a similar fee...!) and then to Walsall, where he spent three years in the mid-1970s. He was capped 11 times in all between 1972 and 1977. As for "where is he now"? Not a clue, I'm afraid.

Just checked his entry in Stephen McGarrigle's Who's Who of Irish International Football.

"Miah then had a spell in non-League and League of Ireland football before returning to his native city, where he works in the Gurranebraher district of Cork where he grew up. These days he concentrates on junior soccer and plays hurley with the local St Vincent's GAA club."

Mind you, that was written eight years ago. He'd be 54 now.

PaulB
05/05/2004, 2:08 PM
Fair play Lads, Miah Dennehy, never have guesed it. For those interested the full squad was (managed by the great Gilesy)..

Kearns
Roche
Grealish
Holmes
Mulligan
O'Brian
O'Leary
Brady
campbell
Daly
Martin
Conroy
Dennehy
Givens
heighway
Murphy
Spapleton
Walsh

PaulB
05/05/2004, 3:11 PM
6 replies, I was wondering how long it would take before the great man was mentioned.
Also D Murphy is Donal Murphy, any takers? Played with Coventry allegedly!

republic
05/05/2004, 4:50 PM
Miah Dennehy was one of the real stars of the League of Ireland in the early 1970's. In fact he scored a hat-trick in the 1972 FAI Cup Final as Cork Hibs beat Waterford 3-0 in front of about 30,000.

As regards Donal Murphy, he was a player allegedly destined for great things but never really seemed to fulfill his true potential. I vaguely recall him playing in the League of Ireland in the 1980's. Probably for UCD but maybe someone else has further information?

Ozymandias
05/05/2004, 4:53 PM
Miah was still playing junior football up to 2 yrs ago andyways....the guy is a legend down on leeside.....he was a bit of a looney as welll which always helps... :)

Beavis
05/05/2004, 5:27 PM
What! :confused: NO 4yr.old RMK.....no wonder we didn't win!
:D :D :D !!!!!!!!!!!!

the 12 th man
05/05/2004, 5:31 PM

jaysus davros!!!!!!!!!.thats a straight red card in any mans language :eek:

sylvo
05/05/2004, 10:20 PM
jaysus davros!!!!!!!!!.thats a straight red card in any mans language :eek:

12TH ma man he's been getting a few red card's of late, he even got a red card off me last week and a belt in the rib's when after a few pint's of okochim in warsaw last tuesday night he thought it would be a good idea to try and sing the German national anthem in a local sheebeen. :mad:

the 12 th man
06/05/2004, 8:40 AM

the most blatent hijack of a thread of all time me thinks.
defininte rmk syndrome. :D

the 12 th man
06/05/2004, 9:48 AM
NO!Hate prawn sambos as much as the brat.....really! :eek:

So,irony not reached Longford,yet?Know has made it to Roscommon!One day soon......

at last...........,gotcha!!!!!!! ;)

the 12 th man
06/05/2004, 10:23 AM
PS.How come,unlike some LT fans on here,you're not one of the' self-righteous' brothers?Blame on proximity to the moral high-grounders in Ulster....?

relatively speaking,im in fact a blow in to "de town".still finding me feet so
dont really know about the self righteous bit.would always hope to assume the high ground though :p

lopez
06/05/2004, 12:42 PM
Getting back to Miah, when I was a young aspiring scribe I interviewed him in Gurrana Bragha (circa 1995, sorry about the spelling Cork boys!) for the Irish Post. He was a true gent but was working in a supermarket then sweeping the floors (Inevitable line from Miah: 'I used to be a sweeper and I still am (he chuckles)'. Anyway a year or two after I heard that he had taken a brief holiday in one of Mary Robinson's guest houses for some misdemeanor. Hopefully he's back on track now. BTW, Father, the photo beside him in McGarrigle's book with the hurley was taken by yours truly (no BS!!!!) though I'm still waiting for my cheque! :mad:

the 12 th man
06/05/2004, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=sylvo] he even got a red card off me last week and a belt in the rib's when after a few pint's of okochim in warsaw last tuesday night/

isnt that the stuff you are supposed to drink in a glass the size of an egg cup?? :D

lopez;i must check out your handy work by getting me mits on the said tome.
just wondering did you have a black cape over your head taking the photo ??? :rolleyes:

razor
06/05/2004, 2:09 PM
Last I heard of Miah he was working in the car park in Jurys Hotel in Cork City

And oh yeah lopez the correct spelling is Gurranabraher.

WeAreRovers
06/05/2004, 2:37 PM
[QUOTE=razor]Last I heard of Miah he was working in the car park in Jurys Hotel in Cork City
QUOTE]

Correct, St Pats new manager Roddy Collins was on a sports quiz on RTE and was asked a question the answer to which was Miah Dennehy. Rod says "He's a really good mate of mine, works in Jurys in Cork but I can't remember his name" :rolleyes:

KOH

the 12 th man
06/05/2004, 2:43 PM
[QUOTE=razor
QUOTE]

Correct, St Pats new manager Roddy Collins was on a sports quiz on RTE:

KOH

old programme was it ?????

sylvo
06/05/2004, 9:58 PM
[QUOTE=the 12 th man][QUOTE=sylvo] he even got a red card off me last week and a belt in the rib's when after a few pint's of okochim in warsaw last tuesday night/

isnt that the stuff you are supposed to drink in a glass the size of an egg cup?? :D

It's no wonder we thought the game was a cracker, let's put it this way, we had a couple of large glasses over the few of day's, it even had a bit of a calming influance on Davros (apart from his Martina Dichtrict sing song), when's our next game in Poland again, can't wait.

the 12 th man
07/05/2004, 7:17 AM
[QUOTE=the 12 th man][QUOTE=sylvo]

It's no wonder we thought the game was a cracker, let's put it this way, we had a couple of large glasses over the few of day's.
:D :eek: :D

btw sylvo,how is "south fork" comming along??.
next time im in stadio stazione
i will endeavour to find your new "palatial ranch style spread" in the good county of kildare.dont know how i missed it last time cos ive heard there is about 4 cranes involved in the construction.

maybe it was that crate of "dutch gold" i imbibed on the way :D

Peadar
07/05/2004, 8:22 AM
left full i think was john herrick who i think has a son playing in the e/l??

Mark Herrick.
Played for Cork City for a bit and then left for Galway Utd.

sylvo
07/05/2004, 8:31 AM
12th ma man, myself and those nice people @ the county council are having a bit of a mick Mc - RMK friendship @ the moment. BK may have been willing to take RMK back but the council i don't think are willing to take me and me colleen back, but we will be working on the place during the summer with the permission that they gave us, they told me where to go when i asked them about having a 9th bedroom :mad: , will be starting again @ the end of this month, it's very close to the n4 between Kilcock and Enfield so if yer on yer way down to the flan siro yer more then welcome to drop by and join me in a couple of glasses of my new performance enhancing Polish drink okochim. :D

Duncan Gardner
07/05/2004, 9:37 AM
I thought the British Postal Service had got much worse under Crozier? You know, bigger losses (£1 million per day), more complaints, fewer/slower deliveries etc.?

the 12 th man
07/05/2004, 9:48 AM
12th ma man, so if yer on yer way down to the flan siro yer more then welcome to drop by and join me in a couple of glasses of my new performance enhancing Polish drink okochim. :D

thanks again for the invite,dont forget my fav poison:creme de monthe
i think id like to stay in the west wing if thats ok with you ;)

ps btw sylvo,you type my name with a stutter :D /check it out

Duncan Gardner
07/05/2004, 10:00 AM
So you think the Royal Mail is a bastion of efficiency then? Maybe bhoy Adam will give you a job. You can do your deliveries on the way home from the pub at 3am :)

sylvo
07/05/2004, 11:44 AM
ps btw sylvo,you type my name with a stutter :D /check it out

AHH that come's from my listening to the calming tone's of chuck d and flavour flav whilst listening to my public enemy tape's which i listen to before i have my kick off's sorry constructive meeting's with the manager's @ work,
the west wing's your's whenever you fancy staying, yer might have to put up with Davros cause no doubt he'll be over bugging me from time to time when i do ever move back.

sylvo
07/05/2004, 1:43 PM
I was wondering when you'd mention my neighbour's from the a mile and a half down the road, your other topic that set's you off along with RMK and some of DG'S friend's.
As for herr Crozier he can faaaaaaaaaaaaaaarc right off, with the like's of him and the pay hike's he give's himself it's no wonder the company's banjaxed,
also DG about that 3am service on the way home from the pub, you are very close to the truth on that one (i won't name name's), hope to see yer good self again up on the fall's (Kilburn high ) road for the next meeting on the 21st, we'll keep rock on Tommy away from you with his argument that Ireland should be unifed on the basis of having the craic.

the 12 th man
07/05/2004, 1:56 PM
, yer might have to put up with Davros cause no doubt he'll be over bugging me :eek: :eek:

long as he doesnt come near me thats ok ;)

the 12 th man
07/05/2004, 2:41 PM
If yer on the Creme de Menthe,that's bad gear.

yeah agree on that.
tempted to move on to a drink called "abisnthe"(spelling ??).recently banned because of its hallucinating properties when imbibed in the correct amounts.

lopez
07/05/2004, 3:06 PM
yeah agree on that.
tempted to move on to a drink called "abisnthe"(spelling ??).recently banned because of its hallucinating properties when imbibed in the correct amounts.Absinthe? That's the Bob Marley after shave I was telling you about Sylvo. They reckoned it cost France so many lives in WW1 cos the population was borracho most of the time on the stuff. Making a comeback with - surprise, surprise - George Best apparently swearing by it, literally. :D Re Brenda's mail service: That's even worse than the h'underground. Charlie Manson used to deliver my mail about 11 but the new bloke came today at one in the afternoon and delivered a rake of mail from the same numbered house in the next street. :rolleyes:

Plastic Paddy
07/05/2004, 3:15 PM
Re Brenda's mail service: That's even worse than the h'underground. Charlie Manson used to deliver my mail about 11 but the new bloke came today at one in the afternoon and delivered a rake of mail from the same numbered house in the next street. :rolleyes:

Sounds horribly familiar. And that's what they call progress. :mad:

the 12 th man
07/05/2004, 8:34 PM
[QUOTE=lopez]Absinthe? That's the Bob Marley after shave I was telling you about Sylvo. They reckoned it cost France so many lives /QUOTE]

right now the holy father has a bottle of said drink and is about to mix it with a bottle of his usual creme de menthe
to make a cocktail called "the holy speedball" :eek:

keep watching sky news for a newsflash ala"breaking news"

longfords (friendly)priest goes crazy eight bonkers with a chain saw and sex. :D

sylvo
08/05/2004, 12:04 AM
[QUOTE=lopez]Absinthe? That's the Bob Marley after shave I was telling you about Sylvo. They reckoned it cost France so many lives /QUOTE]

right now the holy father has a bottle of said drink and is about to mix it with a bottle of his usual creme de menthe
to make a cocktail called "the holy speedball" :eek:

keep watching sky news for a newsflash ala"breaking news"

longfords (friendly)priest goes crazy eight bonkers with a chain saw and sex. :D

I've gotta start getting back into going to mass again, :eek:

Duncan Gardner
08/05/2004, 8:38 AM
hope to see yer good self again up on the fall's (Kilburn high ) road for the next meeting on the 21st, we'll keep rock on Tommy away from you with his argument that Ireland should be unifed on the basis of having the craic

Thanks for the invite. I hope Tommy F will be there so he can tell me how he persuaded the Poles, Germans and Russians to reunite their teams. An outfit that strong might even beat Shelbourne...

PS what is TF saying to his pal Zac Dingle in the Bydgoszcz press box?

http://www.slow2anger.com/images/poland2.jpg

sylvo
08/05/2004, 9:27 AM
It is no wonder the standard of journalism is so shocking, to get into the press box for that game yer did'nt need a press pass just a rack of can's and stagger.

lopez
08/05/2004, 1:10 PM
:cool:
PS what is TF saying to his pal Zac Dingle in the Bydgoszcz press box?Who...or what...the f*ck is Zac Dingle? :confused:

I think TF (the Ronnie Wood lookalike for those that aren't sure) is for once lost for words!

Interestingly the Germans/Ruskies,have never had the cheek to suggest they should have their own seperate representative team!They have,er,Intergrated!Not strictly true. The pied noir in Poland either demanded to be taken over by their 'nation' (bit like ourweefriends) by force, and starting a world war in the process or got shoved onto trains and sent back to their 'nation's' state, which is the option I believe you favour. :cool: