PDA

View Full Version : New Board of Financial Regulator

Angus
08/10/2010, 9:19 PM
Want to be very careful how I phrase this one

I am making no suggestion about anything other than the perception of the new Financial Regulator Board. It includes Mike Soden, formerly of BOI but who had to leave following an internal investigation

It also includes Des Geraghty, former senior man in SIPTU and foremr Director of FAS

Given some of the financial issues put into the public domain about these 2 organisations, I am somewhat surprised Brian Lenihan made these appointments, especially the latter one

I am not sure it sends the right message - despite the experience of the individuals involved

OneRedArmy
09/10/2010, 11:36 AM
Mike Soden's reinvention over the last 18 months is staggering.

In what other country would someone
1)get a multi-million euro payoff after being caught doing some serious research on their work computer into callgirls in advance of a trip to Vegas (it's all in the public domain if you do a search)
2)be invited onto every major TV and radio station as some kind of sage, when the balance sheet growth under their reign is a core part of the problem.

As for the union lackey, par for the course. Just another way to keep them "onside".

Spudulika
11/10/2010, 5:27 AM
This isn't a surprise, previous to this there was a union lackey who enjoyed his jolly boys outings, and Soden is someone who oversaw a bank get into a difficult spot. Though what is most important in all of this is that they know where the bodies are buried. It's not a conspiracy theory, in the same way as journo's started spouting the party line about naming and shaming. It wouldn't prejudice any investigation, it would just put pressure on these people to be brought to justice and if they started telling stories.......

Macy
11/10/2010, 8:40 AM
Soden seems to have stepped down at the right time (even if it wasn't by his design) and so escape any blame (in the media) for what happened with the banks - but wasn't he in charge/ high up when all the DIRT evasion was going on? His latest interventions into economic policy are quite bizarre.

I keep on repeating on many threads, but Lenihan is the supposed great white hope? Can anyone produce a single bit of evidence that suggests his any different to any other FFer?

Fr Damo
11/10/2010, 9:20 AM
Mr Soden often mentions how in 2004 the bank was work "x" and it took 120 years to grow to that, yet in 2007 it was worth twice "x". If he was still there at 2007, I don't think he would have done anything different than B Goggin.

In relation to his website visits, some might say all he did wrong was get caught! (foolish man and I suppose others might read into this correlation & his intellect)

Hasn't he a book out now too!

Macy
11/10/2010, 9:26 AM
In relation to his website visits, some might say all he did wrong was get caught! (foolish man and I suppose others might read into this correlation & his intellect)
He should've been more careful when he was outsourcing IT functions...