PDA

View Full Version : Republic of Ireland V Russia - Friday, 8th October 2010 - Euro 2012 Qualifier

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Crosby87
08/10/2010, 1:14 AM
Some say, Irish fans are not paying proper attention to this game.....
Some say they are wrong.....
Some say they are right......
Some say Rugby has surpassed Football in Ireland. Fan wise. Caring wise. Everything wise......
And nothing can change that......
Some say that is rubbish and the Irish fans will show up en masse for the tangle between the former USSR and the Current ROI. .....
Injuries....benchings.....young players getting blooded....or not.... all part of the game......
Opinions are thrust about.....and hearts are won....Or lost.....
All part of it?.......

Many on here think Russia is a good measure of just how far Trap can take this Irish team.....

Official Game Predictions and Game Day talk HERE because it just gets so Damned confusing for me to go from all the topics on Gameday.
Predictions?
With scorer please including the Russkie scorer if applicable. Anyone(s) hitting it on the head with scorers wins a new T Shirt,sweatshirt, cap, or snuggie (!) (maybe all 4) from me of the NY Yankees variety, mailable anywhere in the world. (It could also possibly be the Jets, depending how fat you are.) (Always new.)
Go Eire.

One entry per SN:flower:

Sullivinho
08/10/2010, 1:22 AM
2-1. Doyle, Whelan & Arshavin. :clover:

TrapAPony
08/10/2010, 1:32 AM
1-1

Keane and Pogrebnyak

SwanVsDalton
08/10/2010, 1:36 AM
1-1. Keane and Pogrnebyak (or however it's spelled).

Crosby87
08/10/2010, 1:38 AM
Swan just how far up Ponys ass are you?
Nah Just kidding.

Noelys Guitar
08/10/2010, 1:47 AM
Ireland 2-0. McGeady and Doyle (assists by the crowd).

Colbert Report
08/10/2010, 4:16 AM
0-0 boring draw. I'll happily take one point.

rebelmusic
08/10/2010, 8:32 AM
1-0 goal from Lawrence, and final 20 mins of heartstopping tension

Exiled
08/10/2010, 8:48 AM
Gonna be optimistic and go for a 2-1 Irish win.

Scorers: Keane, Arshavin, with McGeady to bag the winner with his first international goal.

paul_oshea
08/10/2010, 9:05 AM
well a worry i have is that they come all guns blazing and get an early goal....

still i think 1 - 1(mcgeady and arshavin, if kilbane helps it on the way im still right though!) the usual draw to be honest.

So everyone that predicts a 1-1 draw and is right gets all those items crosby?

ifk101
08/10/2010, 9:30 AM
I'd imagine Trapattoni would be happy with a draw and so would I. The Russians might feel the need to press for a win following their defeat to Slovakia so hopefully some of our more attack minded players can take advantage of the extra space this may offer.

If we could get the win tonight it would be a massive boost to our qualification hopes and a massive dent in Russia's hopes.

elroy
08/10/2010, 10:00 AM
No No No No. I am normally in the lets not lose, Id be happy with a draw brigade. But not after the last campaign. If anything was learned from the last campaign (other than Thierry Henry is a pr*ck) is that drawing our games at home cost us automatic qualification. We need to win tonight and I think we can exploit this apparently weak Russian defence.

Im not a massive fan of his by any means but for some reason I think tonight may well be Aiden McGeady's night (at last).
So Im going for a 1-0 win, thanks to an early McGeady goal followed by over an hour of edge of the seat nerve wrangling action.

AlaskaFox
08/10/2010, 10:08 AM
1-0 Kilbane, Green with the assist. Prove the doubters wrong.

Fitzy
08/10/2010, 10:49 AM
Every time we play a qualifier it is noticeable that very few people actually back the opposition to win. This is ridiculous when you consider we are playing Russia, and our last competitive home win against a top country came on September 1st 2001 against Holland. However, I agree with Elroy, we desperately need to step up tonight and win this game. We'll get nothing in Moscow, we never have in the past, so we need to beat them tonight. We definitely need to beat both Russia and Slovakia at home, and hope that we nick a draw over there. That's the way we used to qualify when Jack Charlton was our manager.

I am very worried about tonight's game. The thought of any of the Russian wingers running at Kilbane all night scares me, and I cannot believe that Trap cannot see that. Put John O'Shea at left back and play Foley, Wilson or Coleman at right back (obviously not McShane). Kilbane is an accident waiting to happen and Russia will try and exploit this at every opportunity tonight. I would also have put Darron Gibson in for Green, as he looked out of his depth in Armenia. If Ferguson trusts him to play their for Man Utd then surely he must be a better option than Green. I'd actually rather play Wilson or James McCarthy ahead of Green in that position as well.

The only hope we have tonight is to exploit Russia's inability to deal with long balls. Emile Heskey had a field day against their twin centre halfs when England beat them 3-0 at Wembley in the Euro 2008 qualifiers. That was a very strange game that Russia dominated for long periods, but England ended up winning comfortably by exploiting their weaknesses. I'm hoping that Kevin Doyle plays like he did against Armenia and Keane takes any half chances that come his way. It's going to be a long, long night, but I'm praying that we don't sit back and invite them onto us all night, as I think we'll get exposed

noddy102
08/10/2010, 10:53 AM
1-0, late Lawrence winner.

DeLorean
08/10/2010, 11:03 AM
I think we will keep a clean sheet. Fairly hopeful we might nick one, but think the scoreless draw is very likely also.

0-0

Dodge
08/10/2010, 11:04 AM
Every time we play a qualifier it is noticeable that very few people actually back the opposition to win. This is ridiculous when you consider we are playing Russia, and our last competitive home win against a top country came on September 1st 2001 against Holland.

I guess that depends on whether you count Russia as a top team. Failed to qualify for WC at same stage as ireland and recently lost at home to Slovakia. Absolutely nothing to fear.

Hibs4Ever
08/10/2010, 11:16 AM
I guess that depends on whether you count Russia as a top team. Failed to qualify for WC at same stage as ireland and recently lost at home to Slovakia. Absolutely nothing to fear.

Weren't to great in their group games for 2010 either, lucky 2-1 win over Wales, drew with Azerbaijan, and only neat Leichtenstein 1-0

Straightstory
08/10/2010, 11:23 AM
0-0 - which will prove costly in the long run.

ifk101
08/10/2010, 11:26 AM
Russia are the top seeds in the group. We are the third seeds, lest we forget.

Granted they're not the strongest top seeds we could have been drawn with but there're certainly no pushovers. A number of players will need to play beyond themselves tonight for us to win.

CMcC
08/10/2010, 11:33 AM
Unfortynately 0 - 1 (Pogrebnyak 58')

rebelmusic
08/10/2010, 11:34 AM
What i find weird was that during the play-offs a lot of people felt Russia were the worst team to get. Times change i suppose!

shakermaker1982
08/10/2010, 11:39 AM
1-1 - Green.

Keane to miss a couple of chances, McGeady hits the post, Russia score with a deflection off Kilbane via Arshavin. He'll do that silly shush celebration and we'll all go home in tears.

Fingers crossed we get at em early and rattle them like England did at Wembley. I think they'll crumble if they went behind early. If we let them play however then it's going to be a long night....

EAFC_rdfl
08/10/2010, 11:51 AM
2-0 whelan and keane

Dodge
08/10/2010, 11:58 AM
I don't think anyone is suggesting they are a pushover ifk. Practically everyone thinks it'll ba a tight game. Which of course is Ireland's game plan.

Philly
08/10/2010, 11:59 AM
Have a bad feeling about this one all week, hopefully I'm wrong but I really can't see us winning the midfield battle tonight and too many of our players aren't playing regularly/on form.

1-0 to Russia

geysir
08/10/2010, 12:09 PM
I think we will need a player or two to come through between now and the end of the campaign, to make the (group topping) difference to the team. McGeady is one we are tentatively banking on. In this evening's game he is filling in for Duff and the omens are good for him to do well. I think we are worth at least a draw.

lionelhutz
08/10/2010, 12:15 PM
2-0 Ireland - Lawrence and Keane the scorers.

It's optimistic in the extreme, but feck it, there's too much pessimism around.

ifk101
08/10/2010, 12:55 PM
I don't think anyone is suggesting they are a pushover ifk. Practically everyone thinks it'll ba a tight game. Which of course is Ireland's game plan.

Yes but I was responding to your comment that they are nothing to fear. If you allow the opposition to have the majority of possession especially when you are playing at home, they're only going to grow in confidence and the likelihood is that they'll eventually make that possession pay. Russia will have the bulk of possession and they do have players to expose the weaknesses in our line-up for tonight.

Anyways in essence our tactics are a reaction to how other teams play - we want to stop the opposition from winning, i.e. we fear everyone. :bigsmile:

fu1ham
08/10/2010, 1:07 PM
I haven't paid much attention to the build -up, but I think our team is too old/ weak/ weakened by absences. Russia on the other hand are bad travellers and have a tendency to concede stupid goals. Nailed-on draw for me, then we lose the return.

holidaysong
08/10/2010, 1:09 PM
1-0 Keane.

geysir
08/10/2010, 1:17 PM
Lining up before the 1974 game against the Soviets -

http://www.sportsfile.com/winshare/watermarked-b/Library/SF636/460929.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the silhouette figure of some guy hanging onto the roof across the road, as Givens scores.
http://www.independent.ie/multimedia/archive/00705/0810_dgivens_sports_705307d.jpg

tommy_c12000
08/10/2010, 1:52 PM
I spent most of last nite twisting and turning in my bed trying to come up with a reasonable justification for Paul Green's inclusion in the middle of the park. He is a player who has forged out an average career for the last 10 yrs in the lower echelons of the Leagues with the mighty Doncaster for the most part and Derby more recently. His own club supporters don't even rate him if the posts in Derby County's fans forums are anything to go by. He is no spring chicken either so any hope of a meteoric transformation into an accomplished international midfielder appears far-fetched in the extreme (Keith Andrews is very average so using him as an example in a counter argument doesn't hold any credence here). He was terrible against Armenia and Andorra.

The only paltry argument that I can make is that perhaps it is "evidence" of the comprehensive scouting network in place that is allowing the management to unearth all these "diamonds." This is the reason in my humble opinion why Trapp is pushing for Green so much. James McCarthy has been a regular starter in the Premiership since January and has impressed every time I have watched him. It is an absolute no brainer. He should be starting tonight, not Green. It would be far less of a "risk" to start McCarthy than to start a nothing player who even looked out of his depth against the formidable Armenia and Andorra.

Fingers crossed Green will not be exposed too much 2nite. I also fear for the hapless Kilbane. Would it not make more sense to play a regular, accomplished premiership right back like Foley and switch O'Shea to left back where he has excelled for United on numerous occassions. But perhaps that is much too logical for the management team to contemplate. I think Ireland should do it tonight, 2-1. Despite my ever increasing frustrations with the management team, I will be giving my 100% backing to the Boys in Green 2nite. Best of luck lads!!

Wolfie
08/10/2010, 1:55 PM
I think Ireland should do it tonight, 2-1.

If Ireland produce that result tonight, that's all the justification Trapp's team selection needs.

Dodge
08/10/2010, 2:17 PM
Anyways in essence our tactics are a reaction to how other teams play - we want to stop the opposition from winning, i.e. we fear everyone. :bigsmile:
Fair point. When I say "nothing to fear", I actually meant "nothing to be overly worried about". you always need fear

tetsujin1979
08/10/2010, 2:18 PM
What i find weird was that during the play-offs a lot of people felt Russia were the worst team to get. Times change i suppose!
that was mainly because nobody fancied our chances of getting a result in Moscow in the depths of the Russian winter

thischarmingman
08/10/2010, 2:31 PM
0-0 - which will prove costly in the long run.

This, exactly this.

tricky_colour
08/10/2010, 4:02 PM
4:0 Ireland, hatrick for Keane but he gets sent off for excessive celebration :D

tricky_colour
08/10/2010, 4:03 PM
Need a result, even Napoleon failed in Russia!!

Charlie Darwin
08/10/2010, 4:10 PM
The thought of any of the Russian wingers running at Kilbane all night scares me, and I cannot believe that Trap cannot see that. Put John O'Shea at left back and play Foley, Wilson or Coleman at right back (obviously not McShane).
The thought of the Russian wingers running at Foley, Wilson or Coleman fills me with dread.

Watching Armenia v Slovakia on Setanta right now. The Armenians have dominated the opening 10 and are specifically targetting the full backs, just like they did against Ireland.

bwagner
08/10/2010, 4:14 PM
Armenia v Slovakia 0-0 15 mins gone

Charlie Darwin
08/10/2010, 4:19 PM
Squirtel's been booked already for a completely unnecessary Richard Dunne circa 2006-style challenge. That'll put a strain on their already under-pressure defence.

bwagner
08/10/2010, 4:30 PM
29' Armenia [1 - 0] Slovakia

23' [1 - 0] Y. Movsisyan

Charlie Darwin
08/10/2010, 4:36 PM
So can we put to bed this idea that Armenia are awful and we were lucky to beat them? They've destroyed Slovakia so far playing exactly the same game they did against us.

edit: and as I say that they equalise against the run of play

tricky_colour
08/10/2010, 4:42 PM
29' Armenia [1 - 0] Slovakia

23' [1 - 0] Y. Movsisyan

That is excellent for us is it not?

tricky_colour
08/10/2010, 4:55 PM
Says it's 1:1 at half time.

Fergie's Son
08/10/2010, 5:04 PM
Would love see Armenia win as that would pull Slovakia back.

Can't seee us wiining today. Would take a draw right now.

PartySaint
08/10/2010, 5:05 PM
2-1 Armenia

tricky_colour
08/10/2010, 5:23 PM
Anyone got a stream for this, i have a radio stream in a foreign language - lol not much good.

Celdrog
08/10/2010, 5:33 PM
Anyone got a stream for this, i have a radio stream in a foreign language - lol not much good.Not sure if you have it but its on Setanta Ireland - decent game