PDA

View Full Version : The play-off

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

pineapple stu
07/10/2010, 10:12 AM
We have a thread for the First Division, and I think there's one for the Premier somewhere. But what's going to happen in the play-off?

I think Drogheda are gone at this stage. If nothing else, the way they're playing reminds me of our 2008 season - no confidence whatsoever, and a fair few of the same players.

If we beat Galway on Saturday, I think we're as good as safe. Lose and we're in trouble as Galway have to play Drogheda on the last day, whereas we have Dundalk, Sligo and Fingal to go. I'd like to think though, based on our respective recent forms and Bazza apparently still being suspended, that we can finally beat Galway and stay up.

I think Bray would be very capable of beating - even favourites to beat - Galway, even in Terryland. I reckon Monaghan will go on to win the First, leaving Derry, Waterford and Shels to fight it out for the play-off spots. Form arguably points to a Shels v Waterford play-off, but I think with Shels facing Waterford on the last day, Derry will sneak in, even though they've three tough fixtures left out of the four.

That leaves as the only question whether Galway - who've pulled off some decent results this season - could do it one last time. I think Shels' momentum would see them through though, but it'd be very very close.

So I reckon -

Bray to beat Galway in the Premier
Shels to beat Derry in the First

Shels to beat Galway

centre mid
07/10/2010, 10:24 AM
I hope your right Stu.

White Horse
07/10/2010, 10:27 AM
So I reckon -

Bray to beat Galway in the Premier
Shels to beat Derry in the First

Shels to beat Galway

Galway were abject in their performance in Oriel Park last week. UCD are rediscovering their early season form due to getting players back from injury and having the under-rated Corry back pulling strings in the middle of the park. I cannot see anything other than Galway playing Bray in the Premier play-off.

No team would want to play Bray at the moment. They have momentum and and are capable of beating any team in the Premier.

The first division is impossible to call. I would favour either Derry or Monaghan to beat Galway in a play-off. I haven't seen enough of Shels to hazzard a guess. However, if the Galway side who played Dundalk turn up for the pay-off, I can't see Galway winning.

osarusan
07/10/2010, 10:31 AM
I think Shels against Derry this weekend will tell a lot about how an out-of-form Derry compare to an in-form Shels. A Derry win would probably see Waterford overtake Shels, and they (Shels) would still have to visit Limerick and host Waterford.

It'll be a very interesting few weeks.

pineapple stu
07/10/2010, 10:36 AM
UCD are rediscovering their early season form due to [...] having the under-rated Corry back pulling strings in the middle of the park.
Off topic (after just three posts :) ), but is Corry under-rated I wonder? I know I picked him out here as our one to watch at the start of the season.

Great player though. Check out the highlights of our game against Rovers (on MNS or up on YouTube in an hour or so). He gets an assist for our first goal despite having a heavy limp after being stood on by a Rovers player. Dedication!

BonnieShels
07/10/2010, 11:02 AM
I really hope you're right. I can't take another heartbreaking last day.

WoodquayBoy
07/10/2010, 11:16 AM
Agree with you there PS. For me, Drogheda are gone, and neother us (Utd) or you lot (UCD) would fancy playing BRay in a play-off given the form they are in. I'd have more faith in ye beating them than us, which makes Saturday crucial. We have been muck lately but up in Dundalk, we were missing Seamus COnneely and Jamie McKenzie from defence, and both are back for Saturday. Missing Barry Ryan is not that big a loss considering he gifted ye a point in Terryland earlier in the season!!! In all seriousness, if we had Ryan, I'd fancy us to turn ye over, but can't see us keeping a clean sheet without him, and we have been struggling for goals at the other end of the pitch.
Monaghan's game in hand is against Salthill on Monday, so that is surely a banker 3 points, and think they'll go on to win the First. Wouldn't fancy playing any of Shels, Derry or Waterford, so to summarise, anything than a win on Saturday and we are in the play-off

total hoofball
07/10/2010, 11:44 AM
I think UCD and this re-vitalised Bray side would have too much for the First Division sides should one of them end up in the two leg play-off, UCD have plenty of quality while Bray have grown some incredible steel in the last 2 months helped by the additions of Devlin, Demspey, O'Connor, Gregg and others.

Galway would worry me. They showed great form in July/August beating UCD and Bohs away but their form this last month is not the form you want heading towards an end of the season relegation battle. Though with a team containing players like Ryan, O'Donnell, O'Brien, Sheppard and Conneely you would have to fancy them over two legs against a FD side.

Having seen Monaghan, Derry, Shels and Waterford this season, all 4 are weak teams compared to the PD sides and I would be amazed if any of them have enough to topple a PD team over two matches. Drogheda will be the only team relegated from the PD this season for me.

legendz
07/10/2010, 11:54 AM
I don't agree with the play-off format at all. I don't think 8th should have to play 9th and that 4th in the First Division should be in the play-offs instead.

On the format in existence anyways, I can see Bray winning but it'll still be a tough game away to Galway. The First Division is a hard one to call. Cork and Limerick though out of it could get thrown a possible lifeline this weekend if results happened to go their way. Shelbourne on the other hand could make a challenge for 1st, especially if they did beat Derry and Mon's lose.

eamo1
07/10/2010, 12:07 PM
What are the dates for the playoffs?Its a quick enough turn around between the end of the regular season and the first game yes?I also dont agree with the playoff format,it should just be 9th in Premier plays 2nd in the 1st Div in a 2 leg playoff.

Roo69
07/10/2010, 12:15 PM
No team would want to play Bray at the moment. They have momentum and and are capable of beating any team in the Premier.

It's quite sureal real that. Don't think I've ever heard anyone say that before about Bray.

At present it looks like being Galway v Bray, it will be a very tough game for both sides but as most people agree we are in in form side at present and have being playing excellent of late, in saying that it is pretty much a cup final and Galway have individual players capable of winning any game so it is by no means a given that we will win this game (if we do manage not to finish bottom that is)

We have a few injury concerns at present to key players so to have any chance we need to get them back and fighting fit. To ensure 9th place we need at least a point against Drogheda on Sunday in the Carlisle, we are more than capable of that but Drogheda will be fighting for their lives and will come out like men possessed. Send out our strongest team then they have 12 days to recover until the next League game away against St. Pats

If we to manage to lose against say, Galway, then i think i would prefer Shels in the Play Off final. We really owe Shels one for the hammering they gave us in the Leinster Senior Cup Final earlier in the season, our players would be well up for it.

2 November 8th Placed Premier -v- 9th Placed Prem.
2 November 2nd Placed First -v- 3rd Placed First
5 November Loser Match A -v- Winner Match B

These are the dates our website has down for the games, is the final not a two legged affair?

blue til i die
07/10/2010, 12:25 PM
2 November 8th Placed Premier -v- 9th Placed Prem.
2 November 2nd Placed First -v- 3rd Placed First
5 November Loser Match A -v- Winner Match B

These are the dates our website has down for the games, is the final not a two legged affair?

The 8th of November is the second leg according to our site.

WindmillWarrior
07/10/2010, 1:15 PM
but Drogheda will be fighting for their lives and will come out like men possessed.

Haha, no we feckin won't!! That description might better suit the fans though - we're having our relegation party on sunday!

gufc2000
07/10/2010, 8:45 PM
From a Galway point of view, Saturday is crucial. A win and we're back in with a shout of 7th, a loss, and as Sean Connor has said, its the play-offs. We've been conceding lots of goals recently. Foley and Barry are big losses for Saturdays game. A few weeks ago we were 6th, and now we're just about in contention to finish 7th.

The Run ins:

UCD:
Galway (a)
Dundalk (h)
Sligo (h)
Fingal (a)

Galway:
UCD (h)
Fingal (a)
Bohs (h)
Drogs (a)

Bray:
Drogs (h)
St Pats (a)
Shamrock Rovers (h)

Rasputin
08/10/2010, 8:54 AM
My only hope for the Play Offs is that Pale based teams are relegated and more non Pale teams are promoted.
Hopefully a Munster addition next season for some decent away trips.

legendz
08/10/2010, 10:43 AM
With the way Shel's are going at the moment, there could to be 6 Dublin clubs in the Premier next season, Derry/Monaghan, Sligo, Dundalk and Bray/Galway also.

White Horse
08/10/2010, 11:10 AM
My only hope for the Play Offs is that Pale based teams are relegated and more non Pale teams are promoted.

Don't Monaghan train in Dublin? Are they also a "pale team"?

peadar1987
08/10/2010, 11:21 AM

The Pale ended at Dalkey, so Bray are grand!

Ash
08/10/2010, 12:06 PM
What about the other play-off???
Salthill Devin v Cobh Ramblers!

Jofspring
08/10/2010, 1:20 PM

Will actually be an interesting play off i would think. Cobh are a young team on a high but Salthill have had a tougher season and although results have been poor they have been playing a higher grade of team all season. Would like to see Cobh back up personally. Limerick are most likely going to be playing First division again next season so two trips to Cork, possibly two trips to Galway (If Galway Utd where to be relegated), trips to Waterford, Athlone and Longford all not too bad travel wise with a nice spread around.

Rasputin
08/10/2010, 2:06 PM
Don't Monaghan train in Dublin? Are they also a "pale team"?
No of course not, thats ridiculous.

dfx-
08/10/2010, 3:54 PM
I think Bray are safe and secure and really shouldn't bother with the rest of the matches this season - throw some u-17s out or something... :ball::shake:

BohsPartisan
08/10/2010, 4:35 PM
I think Bray are safe and secure and really shouldn't bother with the rest of the matches this season - throw some u-17s out or something... :ball::shake:

Bragging rights to play for in the Wicklow derby though ;)

dfx-
08/10/2010, 5:39 PM
We all know Bray are the best team in Wicklow anyway..no need for them to go for it..

**FrOsTy**
09/10/2010, 12:59 PM
Will there be any need for Playoffs? If the FAI are going to go ahead with a rejig of the premier. 12 teams maybe?

total hoofball
09/10/2010, 1:33 PM
Will there be any need for Playoffs? If the FAI are going to go ahead with a rejig of the premier. 12 teams maybe?

What re-jig of the Premier?

Martinho II
09/10/2010, 1:34 PM

is that confirmed ash though with salthill??

**FrOsTy**
09/10/2010, 1:43 PM
What re-jig of the Premier?

I heard they were seriousy considerin re-jiging the premier division again.

tippex
09/10/2010, 4:54 PM

I would not have bet anything on someone saying that about us maybe 3 months ago.

Schumi
09/10/2010, 8:50 PM
The playoff is almost certain to be Galway v Bray now. :)

pineapple stu
09/10/2010, 9:33 PM
And after tonight, you'd have to have Bray as big favourites.

Schumi
10/10/2010, 12:07 AM
And after tonight, you'd have to have Bray as big favourites.

Before tonight too.

WoodquayBoy
10/10/2010, 12:18 AM
A big disappointment was the amount of our lot who just gave up. Ward and Mulhall were brilliant, Bolger was different class, you're keeper was very poor, but hows how bad we were that we never really tested him. Time to rest our so-called 'better' players over the next 3 games in preparation for the play-off with Bray. Have that awful sinking feeling though . . . .

pineapple stu
10/10/2010, 12:35 AM
Before tonight too.
More so after tonight.

Guitd
10/10/2010, 12:33 PM
cud see Galway folding if the loose the playoffs club is in desperate state

Sam_Heggy
10/10/2010, 12:52 PM

There will be no re-jig after this season, rumours of a 16 team league in 2012 though have been doing the rounds.

eamo1
10/10/2010, 1:13 PM
Whats been the reason for Bray's revival in recent months?Has it been Pat Devlin?Is he still the caretaker manager or is there someone else leading the miraculous recovery?

peadar1987
10/10/2010, 1:37 PM
Whats been the reason for Bray's revival in recent months?Has it been Pat Devlin?Is he still the caretaker manager or is there someone else leading the miraculous recovery?

It's Devo and Keith Long in the dugout at the moment, and it's usually Long who's up on his feet shouting instructions, although I'm not sure exactly who wears the trousers in the dugout.

They have the team playing with far more confidence and belief than Eddie ever did. I think that's the main difference.

geezer
10/10/2010, 7:16 PM
cud see Galway folding if the loose the playoffs club is in desperate state

Not a notion of the above happening, you obviously not around the last 3 months.
GUST is re invigorated and working heavily with the Board of GUFC and huge strides have been made to integrate the club with its supporters. GUFC is going nowhere, I hope we survive the play offs but even if we dont the club has shag all debt directly connected to it.

legendz
10/10/2010, 11:57 PM
There will be no re-jig after this season, rumours of a 16 team league in 2012 though have been doing the rounds.
I haven't heard those rumours but I've suggested a 16 club division myself as well!
I think it'll come down to the licencing first. If 16+ clubs show they are capable of holding a licence they might decide to expand the Division. It would be for the better of the game with more of a spread of top flight football nationally.
It'll depend on the progress of new clubs in the A Championship as well. Promoting 6 clubs to the Premier will require at least 4 clubs being promoted to Division One.

WoodquayBoy
11/10/2010, 12:09 PM
Not a notion of the above happening, you obviously not around the last 3 months.
GUST is re invigorated and working heavily with the Board of GUFC and huge strides have been made to integrate the club with its supporters. GUFC is going nowhere, I hope we survive the play offs but even if we dont the club has shag all debt directly connected to it.

I hope you're right Geezer, I hope you're right . . . . .

legendz
11/10/2010, 12:47 PM
Galway - Bray is nearly a confirmed fixture at this stage.
There is still a lot of possibilities in Division One. I'd imagine Monaghan will finish second, getting the home advantage against either Waterford or Shelbourne.

pateen
11/10/2010, 1:41 PM
Can someone clarify to me about promotion/relegation. Is it bottom two in premier get relegated, and third from bottom goes into a play off with third from top in the first division?
P

holidaysong
11/10/2010, 1:46 PM
Only bottom goes down automatically. Then the play-offs are 8th vs 9th in the premier and 2nd vs. 3rd in the first division. The loser of the premier division match then plays the winner of the first division match over two legs for a premier division spot.

PartySaint
11/10/2010, 1:47 PM
Only bottom goes down automatically. Then the play-offs are 8th vs 9th in the premier and 2nd vs. 3rd in the first division. The loser of the premier division match then plays the winner of the first division match over two legs for a premier division spot.

And then they all stay up and the team that wins the league goes down

legendz
11/10/2010, 2:29 PM
Hopefully this season everything will go smoothly and based on results on the field of play.

WoodquayBoy
11/10/2010, 2:37 PM
Play-offs:
Tues. 2 November 8th placed Premier v 9th placed Premier Match A
Tues. 2 November 2nd placed First v 3rd placed First Match B
Fri. 5 November Winner of Match B v Loser of Match A
Mon. 8 November Loser of Match A v Winner of Match B

geezer
11/10/2010, 6:17 PM
I hope you're right Geezer, I hope you're right . . . . .

long way to go, and it is very hairy at the moment but its very manageable

oh that sounds like the governer of the central bank talk

BonnieShels
18/10/2010, 2:41 AM
It seems so far away... these next 2 games are going to be a killer... Not looking forward to the arch-end of season ruiners on Friday and as for the Blas on Saturday week. Christ. I'm gonna hit Kennedy's for a few well beforehand.

TenaciousDee
18/10/2010, 7:30 PM
Having seen Monaghan, Derry, Shels and Waterford this season, all 4 are weak teams compared to the PD sides and I would be amazed if any of them have enough to topple a PD team over two matches. Drogheda will be the only team relegated from the PD this season for me.
I am afraid I will have to disagree with you here. Derry for one defeated Galway in the League Cup with their reserves and lost by one goal to a fully fit rovers team. Yes they under performed against Bray in the two FAI Cup games but with a full squad on I feel they could defeat either Drogs, Bray or Galway. Monaghan also are a very well organised team and they made life hell for Sligo rovers (easily the best passing team in the Premier this year) in both of their cup games and like Derry could beat any of them. As for Waterford, strong at home but very ropey away and Shels in the three games I have seen them in were very poor.