PDA

View Full Version : The play-off

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8

1st time post
08/11/2010, 10:35 PM
If a Premier Division club has to drop out of the league would Drogheda or Monaghan be considered first in line for a PD spot?

Was thinking about that myself and based on Last year it would be Drogs as Bray got to stay in the league for this year. Personally though if it was to come down to it id prefer to see the mons up based on their performances over the year.

peadar1987
08/11/2010, 10:37 PM
If a Premier Division club has to drop out of the league would Drogheda or Monaghan be considered first in line for a PD spot?

It should be decided on a playoff, if the FAI are being fair, but unfortunately (and nothing personal agains Drogheda), I reckon they're more likely just to reinstate the Premier Division club

OneForTheFuture
08/11/2010, 10:38 PM
Bray got real lucky but they should have finished the mons off in extra time!! Monaghan looked to be holding on for pens even before they got the goal!! Fitness played a big part in the game!! Have the mons not got a fitness coach?? The size of philly hughes and a few more players!! Makes John Lester look skinny!!!

Here is Philly's fitness coach:

http://whyareyousofat.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/burger-king.jpg

legendz
08/11/2010, 10:44 PM
Congrats to Bray!

Magicme
08/11/2010, 10:45 PM
Went to high five our players who were celebrating in front of us and high fived the mud. Had to get checked over by medics after. Still in shock. Unreal that a wall so badly built can be in a premier ground. Disgraceful. I no longer work for mons or sit on their committee so I can speak my mind and the carlisle is NOT SAFE.

Weatherman
08/11/2010, 10:50 PM
Somebody is abit bitter after defeat!!!!

sullanefc
08/11/2010, 10:54 PM
Not funny. Disgrace what happened with the wall in the Carlisle grounds. Well done to Bray on the field though, they had a very good end to the season. Off the field though, they are a premier division club in name only, very amateurish.

Hard luck Mons though, such a pity.

Weatherman
08/11/2010, 10:56 PM
when did i say it was funny??

peadar1987
08/11/2010, 10:56 PM

She has a point. It happens once, it could be a freak incident, but a second time in as many seasons, and there's something wrong with the wall. It's not like there were thousands of Monaghan fans pushing on it. If I was on the licensing committee, I'd make it a condition of the Premier License.

sullanefc
08/11/2010, 10:59 PM
when did i say it was funny??

Well if you were not trying to be funny, then your comment was stupid. People were physically hurt and you are calling them bitter over the result?? :rolleyes:

Weatherman
08/11/2010, 11:01 PM
alrite alrite calm down der sully!

Magicme
08/11/2010, 11:05 PM
Weatherman go bleep yourself. My 13 year old son got hurt. The match means little after that. My friends ribs are in bits. My legs are in bits. I don't get angry like this often but if our players had been a foot or two closer they were badly injured. Sure am gutted we didn't get promoted but this is a different issue.

1st time post
08/11/2010, 11:09 PM
There was maybe 10-15 pushing at that wall, A disgrace that it can collapse

Boots9
08/11/2010, 11:14 PM
It should be decided on a playoff, if the FAI are being fair, but unfortunately (and nothing personal agains Drogheda), I reckon they're more likely just to reinstate the Premier Division club

Don't think it will be a playoff, most of both teams players are out of contract.

peadar1987
08/11/2010, 11:21 PM
Not funny. Disgrace what happened with the wall in the Carlisle grounds. Well done to Bray on the field though, they had a very good end to the season. Off the field though, they are a premier division club in name only, very amateurish.

Hard luck Mons though, such a pity.

I'm going to have to take issue with this. Refusing to drive the club into the ground financially is not "amateurish" running.

Magicme
08/11/2010, 11:23 PM
We didn't push the wall. We leaned on it.

peadar1987
08/11/2010, 11:25 PM

I've just watched it again on MNS. I hope everyone isn't too badly hurt.

Magicme
08/11/2010, 11:30 PM
Will feel it more tomoro. My shoulders are aching now too and elbow swelling.:-(

1st time post
08/11/2010, 11:32 PM

Ya you know what im trying to say tho....agree that a positive forward force against the wall??!!!!!!

SwanVsDalton
08/11/2010, 11:32 PM
I'm going to have to take issue with this. Refusing to drive the club into the ground financially is not "amateurish" running.

Would fixing a routine, but vital, safety issue have driven the club into bankruptcy or what?

You're just lucky it wasn't Derry fans - 600 accident claims from 370 away supporters would be in the post as I type.

Lim till i die
08/11/2010, 11:33 PM
That wall :bulgy:

Still can't help but feel that if Shamrock Rovers scum supporters hadn't fatally weakened it previously it wouldn't have happened.

Well, done Bray, probably deserved it based on their end to the season. Also they seem to be one of the less insanely run Premier clubs.

As for Monaghan, who would bet against them going up anyway?? It's only November, plenty of time for some clubs to die.

osarusan
08/11/2010, 11:33 PM
Incredible scenes on MNS.

From Bray's perspective, to stay up from where they were when Gormley left is just an incredible achievement, and well done to them. Let's hope with more time to prepare, they'll be a stronger premier division side next season. Think about the emotions of the lad who scored the own goal, and went on to score the winning penalty.

Monaghan? A great season for so long, and some great memories I'm sure, but to miss out like that must be.....well, words like 'gutted' just wouldn't do it justice. I've been a Limerick fan for about 20 years and have had (precious few) highs, and plenty of lows, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like that - victory stolen away so late. My commiserations to all of you.

Hope nobody has suffered serious injury over the wall, though it seems some have.

Lim till i die
08/11/2010, 11:37 PM
Also, Monaghan fans

http://cms.442.haymarketnetwork.com/contentimages/blog/LaLigaLoca/Euros.jpg

The Lilywhites
08/11/2010, 11:42 PM
I've been a Limerick fan for about 20 years and have had (precious few) highs, and plenty of lows, but I don't think I've ever seen anything like that - victory stolen away so late.

Were you not in Tolka Park in 2008? :D :D :D

osarusan
08/11/2010, 11:44 PM
Were you not in Tolka Park in 2008? :D :D :D

No, in Japan at the time.

Lim till i die
08/11/2010, 11:45 PM
I was there, real heartbreaking stuff. :bad:

monutdfc
09/11/2010, 12:20 AM
Heartbreaking is the word...we did have it won twice though...; we were the better side over the 210 minutes but didn't put them away. Gaby has been immaculate all season and then does that in the last minute of the season. With no away goals it is a big advantage for the premier team having the extra time at home.... ...hope we can keep the squad together for next season...Cottsy will be hard to replace...to our team, all I can say is thank you for a fantastic season...that wall was downright dangerous, hope no-one was seriously hurt, a player could easily have broken a leg (it is very close to the pitch too,I remember Ashley White busting his head on it a few seasons ago) ...just the ramblings of a heartbroken football fan.

Lim till i die
09/11/2010, 12:27 AM
a player could easily have broken a leg (it is very close to the pitch too).

That was my immediate thought looking at it.

Like whatever about the fans, it wasn't a bit nice but at least the wall was falling away from them, but if i was one of those players on the deck I would have shat myself!!

poster
09/11/2010, 12:30 AM
Feel desperately bad for Monaghan, a great little club. Was looking forward to Mon Dogs next year :(

Well done Bray, only hours to get a team together in March and you've done it! (just about)

Cut up pitch, pouring rain, mud, getting soaked, dodgy walls and dodgy football. Tonight is what the League of Ireland's all about!

dfx-
09/11/2010, 1:03 AM
That wall :bulgy:

Still can't help but feel that if Shamrock Rovers scum supporters hadn't fatally weakened it previously it wouldn't have happened.

Hey hey hey..I take offence at that. We fatally weakened another section of it. I walked past it on the way out and it was a lot more damage than last season.

Monaghan would easily survive in the Premier, they should've won, they outfought and outplayed Bray for large portions of the game. 0-1 down and 4-2 down, what does it take to relegate this lot?

Mons keeper was outstanding in appalling conditions, their football was better than the much waffled Sligo or Fingal or UCD this season on an awful pitch. Desperately desperately unlucky. How Philly Hughes' shirt looked spotless at the end I do not know...

passerrby
09/11/2010, 1:08 AM
was standing two rows back when the wall fell mostly kids and three or four girls it went down like a seasoned striker very frightening.
thougth we deserved a win but thats the game we love. gutted for the players,
.....need a drink ..so long for this year

heard on the radio that we invaded the pitch that is a lie and anybody who says so is a liar

Lim till i die
09/11/2010, 1:19 AM
I walked past it on the way out and it was a lot more damage than last season.

So you couldn't even walk past it without causing even more damage than last season??

SCUM

dfx-
09/11/2010, 1:33 AM
I had an umbrella, I couldn't resist..

Stevo Da Gull
09/11/2010, 2:49 AM
Just home (with a few drinks in me) and I don't know what to say. My heart really goes out to Monaghan having seemingly won the game twice.
I've never felt such conflicting emotions in such a short period of time and in the end I had one of the best nights of my life.

I really don't know what to say. Thank you to every Bray player and member of staff who busted their guts to keep this club in the premier, and best of luck to all at Monaghan for a successful season next year. I can't believe how good of spirit they were in after the game. I know that when their goal went in my heart was on the ground. A couple of minutes later...

I also hope that there are no lasting injuries from an incident that stained one of the most dramatic sporting events in the history of the league.

poster
09/11/2010, 3:56 AM
their football was better than the much waffled Sligo or Fingal or UCD this season on an awful pitch.

Waffled?

Magicme
09/11/2010, 5:53 AM
Still shaking and unable to sleep from both pain and the fact that when I close my eyes I see a wall falling. Worst night of my life and possibly my last following league of Ireland if it is that fecking dangerous to myself and my kids and friends. Our players were a foot, maybe 2 foot away from being crushed and then they were so fecking concerned about us they threw the game away a min later. May sound dramatic but it was horrific. My shoulder, elbow and legs are in bits and can hardly move and have the worst bruising I have ever seen.

Glad we wont be in the Carlilse next year. That was my first visit and it will be my last. Congrats to Bray the team they cant relegate and their lovely fans who sang Cherrio to us when we were leaving. Hope you finish bottom next year.

gspain
09/11/2010, 6:52 AM
Heart goes out to Monaghan. That was so so cruel.

gspain
09/11/2010, 6:59 AM
I was right by the wall when it collapsed. There is no way it should have gone down. It should have been able to take much more pressure.

The Monaghan fans were perfectly behaved as well and did not invade the pitch apart from the ones that fell on it.

Magicme
09/11/2010, 7:05 AM
Thanks Gary, we got thrown onto the pitch and had no option. Others followed not knowing what was happening. Awful experience.

Grey Boy
09/11/2010, 7:22 AM
A big sorry to all Mons on our crap wall. You could see players and staff compounding the problem jumping on those already on the ground from the pitch side. Please don't hate us. I wasn't at the first game but heard you tore us apart, probably a bit more evenly matched in the second game (dare I say we shaded it). I really hope you make it up to the top flight soon.

Magicme
09/11/2010, 7:24 AM
Thanks Grey Boy but still hurting too much physically more than anything else to be happy for you.

superjohnny
09/11/2010, 7:43 AM
Cheerio is right... '' we are staying up, say we are staying up''

Genuwinely feel sorry for mons cause they deserve to be up and i dont think the way the fai do the play off is right but fu** it thats not our fault.

As for the wall coming down, there is some people with double standards on this forum. Mons players ran to their side to celebrate and fans pushed against it and it came down, so its brays fault. Yet, when rovers fans done the same thing last season it was said on here they ''are scum for knocking it down'' blah blah blah. Some people just knit pick on here and its a shame to see.

Charlie Darwin
09/11/2010, 7:49 AM
Congratulations to Bray and commiserations to Mons. If Mons can emulate this year's performance, they'll be odds on for yet more wall shenanigans at the Carlisle in next year's play-off. That's if Gary Twigg doesn't knock it down for good with a particular malicious celebration in its general direction.

I was hoping to watch the highlights on MNS but alas it does not appear to be on RTE Player yet. Guess the web team don't stay in past midnight.

Hibs4Ever
09/11/2010, 7:53 AM
Congratulations to Bray and commiserations to Mons. If Mons can emulate this year's performance, they'll be odds on for yet more wall shenanigans at the Carlisle in next year's play-off. That's if Gary Twigg doesn't knock it down for good with a particular malicious celebration in its general direction.

I doubt it, the home Bray fans will be over the other side of the ground

Charlie Darwin
09/11/2010, 8:03 AM
Well given Bohs' financial troubles, Bray might be Rovers' closest rivals next year so you might just be on to something...

Mr_Parker
09/11/2010, 8:04 AM
She has a point. It happens once, it could be a freak incident, but a second time in as many seasons, and there's something wrong with the wall. It's not like there were thousands of Monaghan fans pushing on it. If I was on the licensing committee, I'd make it a condition of the Premier License.

Surely an engineers report is already part of the Licence requirement? Not only do we have to have them, new H&S legislation has come into effect this year in the North which has seen, in some cases, drastic reductions in the permitted number of spectators and closures of certain sections of grounds.

MariborKev
09/11/2010, 10:04 AM
Surely an engineers report is already part of the Licence requirement?

It is.

pixiehead
09/11/2010, 10:26 AM
Hard luck to Mons but I dont think I could bare to watch that Fat Hughes on MNS next year had they gone up. Are you sure he didnt knock the wall down :tongue:

shep
09/11/2010, 10:45 AM
Magicme...how come ur not workin for the club anymore.Devastating way to lose(twice).Sad to hear you say you might not watch League of ireland football again...hopefully thats just a knee-jerk reaction.

Its hard to begrudge Bray survival after thier run since Pat Devlin has taken over.I actually turned laptop off at 4-2 in pens thinkin Mons had won and then got a text to say 7-6 Bray,couldnt believe it.The sad thing is Monaghan may struggle to finish top 4 or 5 next season,so it really was a golden chance to be in premier for next few years(if rumours of restructure are to be believed)

Part of me is sad Mons are not coming up(close to us,and prob an easy 12 points next season)...but i remember Magicme cheering Shels on when we were promoted.One thing is for sure though...if ever there was a game to show why we love/hate football so much then that was it!!!

El-Pietro
09/11/2010, 11:56 AM
here enough of that out of you mcCabe, we all can't live up to your standards :D
hi Barry!