PDA

View Full Version : Conor Mc Namara & other commentators

charg
03/05/2004, 9:41 AM
Anyone ever know what happened to TV3 commentator Conor Mc Namara.

I heard he went to BBC but was he ever heard of since?

I thought he shaped up well.

While I'm at it ... if you were in charge of RTE sport who would you have commentate on the premiership - either from their current team or elsewhere?

Are any of the today fm guys any good?

tiktok
03/05/2004, 10:48 AM
He's works for BBC '5live' at the moment, but I haven't heard him on it. He was probably the best that TV3 had, although to be honest I didn't realise he'd left them completely.

If I was head of RTE sport I'd be showing Eircom league on Friday nights instead of reruns of crap like 'Gimme Gimme Gimme' and 'Midsomer Murders'. I think you'll get a lot of simillar answers to that one charg, but don't be afraid, we're all very passionate about the EL, ignore all the rude replys.

As for commentators doing english football at the mo', Hamilton is about as good as we've got, hearing Canning, Nugent, Collins and Magee commentating just gets on my nerves. Even Michael Lyster is sneaking in there now due to the lack of talent.

Tom Tyrell on Today FM is very good, but I think he's contracted to 5live as well.

MariborKev
03/05/2004, 12:41 PM
McNamara is always on 5 Live- in fact he is on right now commentating on the Women's Cup Final

gustavo
03/05/2004, 2:00 PM
yeah despite being from limerick he had a very convincing D4 accent which has now developed into a convincing English accent
stick with King George i say

mickrev
03/05/2004, 4:07 PM
Tom Tyrell on Today FM is very good, but I think he's contracted to 5live as well.
Are you mad? He's rubbish. A right plonker.

4tothefloor
03/05/2004, 4:24 PM
yeah despite being from limerick he had a very convincing D4 accent which has now developed into a convincing English accent
stick with King George i say

You obviously don't know Limerick very well then. McNamara's accent would be consistant with the yuppier well-to-do side of Limerick that Limerick people are often at pains to promote ahead of the gangland war side of things, which is a tiny minority in the City. There's plenty of pubs\clubs in town, in fact they're increasing in number all the time, for the yuppy brigade. Limerick City is actually quiet up-market, contrary to any stereotypical ideas you might have about it. Of course there are the working class areas and estates as well, but Conor Macs accent is definately not a D4 one, but very much Limerick. Just 'cos he doesn't talk like a sham like!

I think he was signed by the beeb with a view to the longterm. He's earmarked to be a tv commentator in the future, he's just serving his apprentice if you like at the moment on 5 live. Good commentator, shame we have to listen to Stephen Alkin and Darragh Moloney instead - two muppets.

gustavo
03/05/2004, 5:34 PM
i didnt mean "despite being from limerick" as a disparaging comment i just meant that when i heard him commentate i always had him down as a d4 rugger bugger type ala Micheal Mc Mullan and was just suprised to hear he wasnt from dublin

tiktok
03/05/2004, 6:10 PM
Are you mad? He's rubbish. A right plonker.

1. yes!
2. you're right, i was wrong, your eloquent argument won me over.
3. me or tom tyrell?

:D :D

4tothefloor
03/05/2004, 7:44 PM
i didnt mean "despite being from limerick" as a disparaging comment i just meant that when i heard him commentate i always had him down as a d4 rugger bugger type ala Micheal Mc Mullan and was just suprised to hear he wasnt from dublin

I know, didn't take it as disparaging

Macy
04/05/2004, 8:31 AM
McNamara is on five live a good bit. Not normally the main game. Think he did some of the FA Cup games as well for Match of the Day - the round-up.

Tom Tyrell is great - just like being back in manch when he was on Piccadilly.

Macy
04/05/2004, 9:56 AM
Ah Conor, I wasn't going to bring up the United PA years or the number of United books he's been involved with.... :)

pete
04/05/2004, 11:19 AM
Did someopne say there was a posh side to Limerick??? :confused:

Yeah Tom Tyrell is about the worst commentator ever - maybe he'd be ok if not so blinkered.

Macy
04/05/2004, 11:30 AM
maybe he'd be ok if not so blinkered.
Makes up for all the anti-United ones... Watched Scouse v Boro match on Sunday, and Tyler and Gray still managed to cream themselves over Arsenal....

Dodge
04/05/2004, 11:49 AM
Don't think anyone could accuse Andy Gray of being anti United. Think sits just a Sky policy of always backing the winning horse.

WeAreRovers
04/05/2004, 3:16 PM
To be fair to Conor McNamara he's doing a decent job on Five Live. Better than that Alan Greene ****** anyway.

Some trivia - Conor McNamara is Mickey Mac's son (For our younger readers, Mickey Mac was an incredibly irritating 2FM jock back in the mists of time.)

KOH